Community Focus

Closed Thread

Old 02-09-2013, 02:46 PM #589
tonybhall
Mag Daddy

tonybhall is a Moderator
 has been a member for 10 years
tonybhall supports our troops
picked up an Arai Sinister Helmet at a pawnshop today. Brand new for $220. I think that's a pretty good deal. About to go try it out.

I'm not saying that stupidity should be punishable by death. But I do think we should remove all the warning labels and let the problem take care of itself.
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 02-09-2013, 03:28 PM #590
teen
[]D [] []v[] []D

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryterror View Post
ok so my chain on my r6 is stretched, im almost at max wheel displacement thingy (wheel is almost all the way back). should i:

1: buy new chain and then buy a chain breaker/riveting tool ($200 total give or take)

or

2: keep my chain and just buy a chain breaker/rivet tool and buy a new master link and remove a link or two? (total about $100)

seems to me like i should just remove a few links. any objections or reasons why not to do that?
how old is the chain? and do you keep it clean/lubed? i really dont see you having any problems just replacing a few links, but how could you go wrong with a new chain? unless you dont wanna drop the extra hundred, which is understandable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonybhall View Post
picked up an Arai Sinister Helmet at a pawnshop today. Brand new for $220. I think that's a pretty good deal. About to go try it out.
pawnshop helmet? really
Old 02-09-2013, 03:46 PM #591
4literranger485
xtreme noob

4literranger485 supports Team VICIOUS
4literranger485 supports Empire
Quote:

that's weird, I don't normally "plan" on trying out my lids.....it just sorta happens lol
Old 02-09-2013, 04:08 PM #592
xXinpayneXx
MW

You don't need a chain breaker just a riviter. You can just use a grinder or bolt cutters even to get it off.

You can get a chain tool that just rivits them for 15 bucks.

If your chain is that far stretched time for a new one. Snapped chains are not really a very good time.
Old 02-09-2013, 04:27 PM #593
automagwarrior

automagwarrior has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
ok so my chain on my r6 is stretched, im almost at max wheel displacement thingy (wheel is almost all the way back). should i:

1: buy new chain and then buy a chain breaker/riveting tool ($200 total give or take)

or

2: keep my chain and just buy a chain breaker/rivet tool and buy a new master link and remove a link or two? (total about $100)

seems to me like i should just remove a few links. any objections or reasons why not to do that?
I have an OEM DID chain and stock sprockets if you need them. I've been trying to unload them for a while.
Old 02-09-2013, 05:14 PM #594
tonybhall
Mag Daddy

tonybhall is a Moderator
Quote:

Just spend about 2 hours riding in my new helmet. WOW! Very quiet, light, and almost no wind resistance or buffeting. Even when I turn my head to the side, it sliced through the wind like a knife through butter. It was so nice. If I couldn't feel the cheek pads against my face I would have forgotten I was wearing a helmet at all. Totally impressed. Now I just have to get my speakers situated correctly.

It's the above helmet except with a mirror lens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by teen View Post
pawnshop helmet? really
Yeah, why not? I got a BRAND NEW $600 helmet for $220. Why does it matter where I got it from? My friend owns the shop. Said he had a brand nice brand new lid I should look at. Got it for basically 65% off retail.

I'm not saying that stupidity should be punishable by death. But I do think we should remove all the warning labels and let the problem take care of itself.
Old 02-09-2013, 05:16 PM #595
tonybhall
Mag Daddy

tonybhall is a Moderator
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4literranger485 View Post
that's weird, I don't normally "plan" on trying out my lids.....it just sorta happens lol
Well, it hit 60* here today and I had just gotten home from buying it and was heading out to ride when I posted that.

Old 02-09-2013, 05:22 PM #596
binaryterror
Static?

binaryterror is a Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by xXinpayneXx View Post
You don't need a chain breaker just a riviter. You can just use a grinder or bolt cutters even to get it off.

You can get a chain tool that just rivits them for 15 bucks.

If your chain is that far stretched time for a new one. Snapped chains are not really a very good time.
link? i only see them for maybe $60 at the cheapest but it also a breaker pin thingy. but yeah im gonna just take a few links outs. its a newer chain in good condition.

“When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty.” – Thomas Jefferson
Old 02-09-2013, 05:57 PM #597
automagwarrior

Bryan- don't take this the wrong way but will you ever go back to being satisifed with an HJC?

Also, **** you for riding. This is what I woke up to. There is a grand cherokee under there.

Last edited by automagwarrior : 02-09-2013 at 06:04 PM.
Old 02-09-2013, 05:59 PM #598
teen
[]D [] []v[] []D

Quote:
Yeah, why not? I got a BRAND NEW $600 helmet for $220. Why does it matter where I got it from? My friend owns the shop. Said he had a brand nice brand new lid I should look at. Got it for basically 65% off retail.
thats a different story.. and i skipped over brand new when i read the first post. idk some of the pwn shop guys around here are sketchy, but if hes your friend thats a little different.

arai is like a benz, right?
Old 02-09-2013, 06:12 PM #599
tonybhall
Mag Daddy

tonybhall is a Moderator
Quote:
Originally Posted by automagwarrior View Post
Bryan- don't take this the wrong way but will you ever go back to being satisifed with an HJC?

Also, <del>****</del> you for riding. This is what I woke up to.

Damn that sucks... You need to move further south.

As for riding with the HJC, I could do it if I had to. But now that I know what I know, I wouldn't be satisfied. At least not with the HJC I have. HJC might make some nicer helmets but there is no comparisons between my old HJC and Arai that I now have.

While there are lots of things I like better with the new one, the ONE thing that really sets it apart is how aerodynamic it is. There is absolutely NO pressure on my head or neck in this helmet. I never realized just how much the wind was pushing my head around. I noticed it on head checks and when I'd turn my head to look around. But my neck is so relaxed with this new helmet that I now realize that I was pushing against the wind all the time in my old helmet. It's hard to really explain how much of a difference it makes. But my head feels 10 lbs lighter.

Quote:
thats a different story.. and i skipped over brand new when i read the first post. idk some of the pwn shop guys around here are sketchy, but if hes your friend thats a little different.

arai is like a benz, right?
It's sweet.

Old 02-09-2013, 06:54 PM #600
UglyDuckGizmo

UglyDuckGizmo owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
Quote:

or

You will destroy your sprockets, and risk having the chain break which could quite possibly total your bike when it bunches up around the countershaft and punches through your crank case

When a chain stretches it is because the links (the pins that connect the sideplates) are becoming elongated, instead of being round. A little bit of elongation across all of those pins (100-110 links) adds up to an observably stretched chain. The pins no longer sit down in the grooves of the sprockets anymore, and this is where you start to see them becoming hooked and eventually break off.

Taking links out doesn't really solve anything. The only thing you change is your wheelbase. The chain is still ****ed, and it will cost you more money in the long run by wearing out your sprockets prematurely.

Last edited by UglyDuckGizmo : 02-09-2013 at 06:59 PM.
Old 02-09-2013, 07:15 PM #601
SA_4_LIFE
#EndProhibition2012

SA_4_LIFE has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
So I got a few questions for you guys, I currently ride a '00 Marauder, this summer i'm thinking about picking up another sport bike. Now the problem i'm having is deciding between a couple different bikes, either a ninja 650 or gsxr 600. I've sat on both bikes, still trying to find a 650 ninja to test ride but for the guys that have them whats the selling point to your bike?

ST:A where station wagons are still racecars

Friends Don't Let Friends Drive Domestics
Old 02-09-2013, 07:42 PM #602
automagwarrior

Comfortable well rounded bike.
Old 02-09-2013, 08:13 PM #603
binaryterror
Static?

binaryterror is a Supporting Member
you think i can get away with oem chain length and go up a tooth on the front sprocket?

“When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty.” – Thomas Jefferson
Old 02-09-2013, 08:45 PM #604
UglyDuckGizmo

UglyDuckGizmo owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
Typically, yes you can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SA_4_LIFE View Post
So I got a few questions for you guys, I currently ride a '00 Marauder, this summer i'm thinking about picking up another sport bike. Now the problem i'm having is deciding between a couple different bikes, either a ninja 650 or gsxr 600. I've sat on both bikes, still trying to find a 650 ninja to test ride but for the guys that have them whats the selling point to your bike?
The 650R definitely a more laid back bike that still has plenty of pep. The gsx-r is way faster and will not be as comfortable if you are looking for a daily ride.
Old 02-09-2013, 09:20 PM #605
NoelyDeezNutz
Rebel against

NoelyDeezNutz plays in the PSP
NoelyDeezNutz owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
NoelyDeezNutz owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
NoelyDeezNutz is a top reviewer
Quote:
Originally Posted by automagwarrior View Post
I work as an EMT and I understand perfectly well that is the correct answer. However the real world is answer to use heated gloves. Put two riders against each other when it's 25* degrees and give one a pair of heated gloves and one a heated vest, all other gear being equal and see who lasts longer.
How does that make sense?

If you put 2 riders, all wearing the same gear (heated vest AND heated gloves) where 1 plugs in the gloves, while the other plugs in the vest. I would bet that the rider with the vest feels warmer than the one with the gloves.
SameBIG CHIEF - I've met plenty of tools who own a Luxe. Looks like they failed on the tool less aspect.
Old 02-09-2013, 10:08 PM #606
xXinpayneXx
MW

Quote:
link? i only see them for maybe $60 at the cheapest but it also a breaker pin thingy. but yeah im gonna just take a few links outs. its a newer chain in good condition.
I bought one at the dealership. Called motion pro mini chain tool or something. Was less than 15. Hell I've riveted a chain together with a hammer and a piece of metal behind it before.
Old 02-09-2013, 10:42 PM #607
NoelyDeezNutz
Rebel against

NoelyDeezNutz plays in the PSP
NoelyDeezNutz owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
NoelyDeezNutz owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
NoelyDeezNutz is a top reviewer
http://www.amazon.com/Motion-Pro-08-.../dp/B000WJEIZM
SameBIG CHIEF - I've met plenty of tools who own a Luxe. Looks like they failed on the tool less aspect.
Old 02-10-2013, 07:10 AM #608
GotBoost247
Flo Rida

GotBoost247 is playing at Living Legends V
GotBoost247 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
GotBoost247 has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
GotBoost247 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
how old is the chain? and do you keep it clean/lubed? i really dont see you having any problems just replacing a few links, but how could you go wrong with a new chain? unless you dont wanna drop the extra hundred, which is understandable.
Like UglyDuck said
If you're replacing the chain due to stretching then chances are you might need sprockets too. Or your new chain will just be chewed up.

Although if you are going the cut links out route, make sure that there are no kinks within the chain.

But like someone else said you can use a grinder and cut the chain then just re-rivet the master

★★☆ Gearbag Sale -- Updated Weekly -- ☆★★

Pirate Paintball USA 2020 ©
► Owner

Last edited by GotBoost247 : 02-10-2013 at 07:15 AM.
Old 02-10-2013, 07:17 AM #609
GotBoost247
Flo Rida

GotBoost247 is playing at Living Legends V
GotBoost247 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
GotBoost247 has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
GotBoost247 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
you think i can get away with oem chain length and go up a tooth on the front sprocket?
Yeah there is a enough room in there to go up or down a tooth. You have a few inches of adjustment in the back.

★★☆ Gearbag Sale -- Updated Weekly -- ☆★★

Pirate Paintball USA 2020 ©
► Owner
Closed Thread