PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

ReplyNews Ups

Old 10-09-2012, 01:32 PM #295
undrdg
RIP Larry Alexander

has been a member for 10 years
Everyone has to start somewhere. I remember with XSV had a down year and couldn't win a point to save their lives. Dismal performances happen to all pro teams whether they are just starting out or been on the circuit for a long time.
It is a shame that there are people on this forum that come and bash a team just because it was their first tournament.
The mere fact they are willing to step up is a hell of a step. A step most d2 players are scared to even consider.
If you haven't grinded against a pro team in your life, then you don't know what you are in for.
Swizz and Phil have been grinding with the best in the NW for years. I know, because i was there, grinding along side of them. IT is not easy to move up the ranks in paintball. It is very expensive, very time consuming.
Even successful d2 teams rarely make it past d1 because of funds. We were successful (somewhat) because of the support of the Naughty Dogs, and by support i mean targets. We went all the way up to Semi Pro but life got in the way for many of us. Phil went on to be pro, along with Scott Night and some other players from our squad.
Contact can learn from their mistakes and have a better showing. Look how Uprising did.
So lets lay off the criticism and let these guys grind it out. There is nothing any of you can do to stop them, so you might as well embrace them.
undrdg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 10-09-2012, 01:36 PM #296
OhIoCoNtRActKilLa

It's about integrity.

This proves that anyone with money can play "Professional" paintball. What does that say about paintball as a whole? It makes it a joke, in my opinion. The people in the top division should be the absolute best players on the planet, not players with deep pockets. Not only does it make the sport seem like a joke, but the league itself appears desperate. In what way has this team proved itself worthy to play pro? They haven't, they just cut the NPPL a check. This shows where the NPPL's priorities are. $$$$$ and not building the sport up.

I have no personal issues with this team, but I find it humorous that they have the audacity to simply bump up to the top without putting in the work.

Just my .02.
OhIoCoNtRActKilLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 01:39 PM #297
Henrybg
Son of the South

Henrybg plays in the PSP
Henrybg supports Cereal Killerz 2
Henrybg is an NCPA player
Henrybg plays in the APPA D4 division
Henrybg is Boss
Henrybg is All In
Henrybg owns a Planet Eclipse GSL
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtticaDistortion View Post
Why is everyone so up in arms about a team moving up to the "PRO" bracket...how does it effect you?.
It doesn't but it makes them feel better about their own game by bashing those that had the courage to try and make a step up.
Henrybg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 02:10 PM #298
undrdg
RIP Larry Alexander

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhIoCoNtRActKilLa View Post
It's about integrity.

This proves that anyone with money can play "Professional" paintball. What does that say about paintball as a whole? It makes it a joke, in my opinion. The people in the top division should be the absolute best players on the planet, not players with deep pockets. Not only does it make the sport seem like a joke, but the league itself appears desperate. In what way has this team proved itself worthy to play pro? They haven't, they just cut the NPPL a check. This shows where the NPPL's priorities are. $$$$$ and not building the sport up.

I have no personal issues with this team, but I find it humorous that they have the audacity to simply bump up to the top without putting in the work.

Just my .02.
Integrity? Name one league that has integrity. Paintball will never be taken seriously NOT because of the Leagues, but because of the sheer nature of the game. You can't follow it from the stands.
If you don't understand whats going on, who cares if you bought you spot or not.
All owners buy the spots in all sports.
Old 10-09-2012, 02:13 PM #299
OhIoCoNtRActKilLa

Quote:
Originally Posted by undrdg View Post
Integrity? Name one league that has integrity. Paintball will never be taken seriously NOT because of the Leagues, but because of the sheer nature of the game. You can't follow it from the stands.
If you don't understand whats going on, who cares if you bought you spot or not.
All owners buy the spots in all sports.
If this is your position, then it is very unfortunate that you're involved in this sport. No progress will ever, ever be made with an attitude like that.
OhIoCoNtRActKilLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 02:31 PM #300
anti55hero

plays in the NXL
I have yet to meet the player on our team with "deep pockets"........ each one of the contact players put up 500+ dollars of their own money, pooled together, to pay for entry to this event......

I agree with John in the sense that you dont have to support us to be in support of paintball, and its cool if you dont. Just make sure you support whoever is local to you, or doing something in the sport that you associate with.

We took this step for the simple fact that playing against pros in the best way to get better. We dont have any other pros in Arizona. We asked for the opportunity, we provided information on the team, its stability, ownership, and players backgrounds, and they said yes to us playing. The point was not to make anyone think less of us, or of the NPPL, it was to help grow talent in Arizona. We arent trying to say we deserve anything, or are better than anyone else. It was a decision we made as a team, that was a little beyond our means, but because of it, we have the ability to adjust and come back stronger.

It was an incredibly hard event, and we came out every point as strong as we could. We know what we need to work on, and will be during the off season!

Join the SWPPL Senate - https://www.facebook.com/groups/200861693364334/

Phoenix CONTACT - Powered by - BOB LONG, VIRTUE, VALKEN, HK ARMY, SLY, GOG, CENSYS DESIGN LAB,
anti55hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 03:35 PM #301
AtticaDistortion

AtticaDistortion owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
AtticaDistortion is for the Gunfight
AtticaDistortion is for the Gunfight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henrybg View Post
It doesn't but it makes them feel better about their own game by bashing those that had the courage to try and make a step up.
agreed stop the complaining and just do your own thing....get over it and move on.

GOOD LUCK CONTACT!!!!

Proudly Sponsored by Vanguard ~ GI Sportz ~ HK Army ~ Virtue ~ Exalt
paul@vanguardrepair.com/paul@crupaintball.com
AtticaDistortion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 04:14 PM #302
godraep
FapAttackV.1

godraep supports Team VICIOUS
godraep supports Team VICIOUS
godraep is attending Decay of Nations VI
godraep supports DLX Technology
Quote:
Originally Posted by John View Post
The difference is that he isn't trying to enter a team in the professional ranks.

There's should be a vast skill difference between a fan and a professional player. Just because I would get curb stomped at football doesn't mean I am not a fan of the NFL and would be real sad to see rank amateurs allowed to have a team. No offense to any Buffalo Bills fans. Most of us here are fans of professional paintball so of course people will make comparisons to other pro sports.

We can all support the sport without being fans of every single team. Part of the fun of watching sports is rooting for and even against teams. It doesn't mean you dislike the sport when you don't agree a specific team doesn't belong in the division. In fact, the argument could be made that you are upholding it as a pro sport by saying there should be standards.
Stomped into a 3 paragraph stupor by John.

All your points are valid, I lose. =D
Old 10-09-2012, 04:24 PM #303
bigfootguy2002
Play Paintball Here!

bigfootguy2002 is a Supporting Member
bigfootguy2002 plays in the PSP
bigfootguy2002 plays in the MiLP
bigfootguy2002 plays in the APPA D5 division
As far as Pro teams just "showing up", what about Houston Heat?
Does letting them in make the PSP look "desperate"?

Not at all in my opinion. Does the fact that they have done well this season change this?

Why is everyone in here hating. Everyone has to start somewhere. Comparing Paintball to the NFL is outrageous, there are millions and millions of dollars backing the NFL, and a tiny fraction of that number backing paintball.

-Will

(205) 837-4177
bigfootguy2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 05:00 PM #304
greenie
v(BEES KNEES)v

greenie plays in the PSP
 plays in the NXL
greenie helped look for balloons
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfootguy2002 View Post
As far as Pro teams just "showing up", what about Houston Heat?
Does letting them in make the PSP look "desperate"?

Not at all in my opinion. Does the fact that they have done well this season change this?

Why is everyone in here hating. Everyone has to start somewhere. Comparing Paintball to the NFL is outrageous, there are millions and millions of dollars backing the NFL, and a tiny fraction of that number backing paintball.

-Will
Except pretty much everyone on that team has played pro for other teams.
Old 10-09-2012, 05:36 PM #305
undrdg
RIP Larry Alexander

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhIoCoNtRActKilLa View Post
If this is your position, then it is very unfortunate that you're involved in this sport. No progress will ever, ever be made with an attitude like that.
what progress are you talking about? in this country money is the driving force behind anything in business. all pro sports are money making machines and if you don't believe so, then my friend, you are living in denial.

Integrity is an impossible goal to attain. There is always someone with more integrity or less integrity than you. Its all about your moral compass, and sad to say that all moral compasses are different.

If you measure integrity by allowing a team to buy into a league instead of earning it, then you stunt the ability of the league to grow.

If you measure integrity by the fact that your team doesn't wipe, then you will always loose.

If you measure integrity by the fact that your team does not hire players from other states/countries then you have limited your success to a small pool of talent where you are locally.

As you can see, there are many levels and many interpretations for integrity.
Do not mistake clever marketing for integrity, all leagues are in it to make money. OTherwise, how can they survive?
Old 10-09-2012, 05:42 PM #306
MOTORHEAD

MOTORHEAD is an NCPA player
MOTORHEAD plays in the APPA D4 division
Sorry if it has been explained already, but I have seen a lot of people complaining about how Contact bought their way into the Pros. Others have also been saying Heat made a similar financial maneuver.

Can somebody explain the story behind that?
MOTORHEAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 06:19 PM #307
TherealInsomniac
Bangarang

TherealInsomniac plays in the PSP
 plays in the NXL
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenie
Except pretty much everyone on that team has played pro for other teams.
So it's not they they bought in you're upset about... It's the quality if the players on the team.
TherealInsomniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 06:41 PM #308
Julio Jones

Contact is a new pro team who entered the NPPL without moving through D1 "as a team".HEAT is a new pro team that entered the NPPL (as well as PSP) without moving through D1 "as a team" They both were 0-4 at NPPL Vegas.

BUT this is where the similarities end..

(although...HEAT filled their 7 man roster with talented pros from Ironmen for the event...still went 0-4...albiet scoring more points than Contact. Just as they would be expected to..)

HEAT is a uber-team that was built by sponsors in the off season to compete in the PSP. They entered the league without playing D1. The difference is Heat is a compilation of seasoned "current" pro players from the US, the D2 Shock/Distortion boys that won Vegas last year, and some of the best Russians to ever play the game. As good as Mishka and Fedorov are I STILL feel they are underrated by most paintball fans and divisional players. ESP Mishka.

Contact is comprised of a handful of ex pros (the last 5 yrs) and D2 level players in the state.

Comparing these two teams is not exactly fair to either team because their situations are so different. That being said..nobody expected HEAT to go 0-4 last weekend. While most( even contact) expected Contact to go 0-4. Shock, CEP, etc have all done as bad in recent years...even though they worked their way up the ranks and/or are established teams.

The backlash from AZ is because certain people or teams feel that entering a team in a division in which they won't be competitive makes the state look bad and negatively reflects on the amount of skill we currently have playing in the state. Does Contact care how they make AZ look? I am sure they do.. But does that outweigh the opportunity to go play/grind against pros at the highest level of 7 man competition in the world? Prob not... what is better for Contact? The practice...what is more important to divisional AZ ballers? Image/Identity...The rest of the world could care less about local AZ drama or the state of PB in AZ and the opinions of its <20 National Divisional( currently competing in more than just PSP PHX)...players.

That being said...Contact probably should play D1 next year. If they do well it will be much more fun than getting smashed at the pro level. If they don't then they def don't need to be playing pro. Getting smashed 99.9% of the time..kills morale and leads to the dissolution of teams...

I hope they stick it out, work hard, ignore the haters, and are competitive next year no matter what division they are in.

JJ OUT

Last edited by Julio Jones : 10-09-2012 at 07:15 PM.
Julio Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 06:55 PM #309
clarkie070988
A traveling man

clarkie070988 plays in the PSP
 plays in the NXL
clarkie070988 plays in the APPA D4 division
clarkie070988 is Legendary
well put

I <3 MY Wife & Daughter & Son
LUXE MOB/PUMP OT/Back Players Gang/BST Perfection/Geo Owners
clarkie070988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 09:02 PM #310
booboodinosaur

booboodinosaur owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
booboodinosaur owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
booboodinosaur owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
I have one question to anyone ****ting on a pro team that bought their spot. Would anyone of you seriously not play pro if you were given the chance? Or would you simply say no because you weren't ready?

Contact I hope you guys end up pulling an Uprising.
booboodinosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 09:14 PM #311
SNAKESNIPER (Banned)

I also think CEP and Aftershock should be bumped down to PSP D1 as well, for obvious reasons.
SNAKESNIPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 09:45 PM #312
Wakewarrior7
Now in Technicolor

I just don't get why paintball doesn't do what all other pro sports do and and establish a set group of pro teams that then farm players from the other divisions. It helps to legitimize the sport, and sets an easier to recognize brand in the public's eye. This would also completely get rid of the "this team isn't ready" mentality. It would be about the players and fan loyalty to the teams and players vs all this moaning and groaning.

Of course this is all in a utopia type world where paintball actually had the budgets to pay players to move to other parts of the country. I guess this could also create the environment where those that want it most, make the move when offered a spot. Hell, with the job that I have, if I got an offer (hahahahahaha!!), it would be a tough decision to decide between money or passion.
Wakewarrior7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 11:20 PM #313
Nick Brockdorff

Nick Brockdorff posts videos on PbNation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wakewarrior7 View Post
I just don't get why paintball doesn't do what all other pro sports do and and establish a set group of pro teams that then farm players from the other divisions. It helps to legitimize the sport, and sets an easier to recognize brand in the public's eye. This would also completely get rid of the "this team isn't ready" mentality. It would be about the players and fan loyalty to the teams and players vs all this moaning and groaning.

Of course this is all in a utopia type world where paintball actually had the budgets to pay players to move to other parts of the country. I guess this could also create the environment where those that want it most, make the move when offered a spot. Hell, with the job that I have, if I got an offer (hahahahahaha!!), it would be a tough decision to decide between money or passion.
Well, how can you both not "get why paintball doesn't...." and say it's utopian?

Either way, paintball is not ready for that, due to the distinct lack of mainstream media coverage, and subsequently money.

The "american" sports model is heavily dependent on an influx of money, which just isn't there in paintball.... we neither have the spectators or media coverage needed - and won't for years to come.

So, paintball as a sport, would be better off with a "european" model, which is centered around a club structure, and far less reliant on money.

In other words, the way forward for paintball, is building strong local organisations or "clubs", with several teams within the organisation.

Such organisations can accelerate growth in participant numbers, allow individual players to progress to the club "1st team" - and not least - help create a vibrant local tournament scene.

At national level, you need a promotion and relegation system, which allows teams to progress through the divisions, instead of constantly being cannibalized by the bigger teams.

Yes, there will always be 4-8 big pro (factory) teams, with the budget to go get players from anywhere in the world.... but that doesn't develop the sport in any way, shape or form.... they are really just marketing entities.

What does develop the sport, is strong local tournament communities, centered around fields with tournament paintball as a focus area.
Nick Brockdorff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 11:35 PM #314
codythinman

codythinman donated to help Peyton Trent
codythinman owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
codythinman supports Bob Gurnsey
codythinman supports our troops
If you are on Phoenix Contact I would just ceased to read these forums. Its only bad for team success.

Any amount of negativity surrounding a new team is completely ****ing stupid. If their performance in their first event is truly evidence that they shouldn't be there you should kiss vicious, CEP, and a few other teams out there good bye.

You dont because you know that is stupid. First performances are always welcomed with "Welcome to the Pros... HA HA HA!!!" Notice that the other pro teams aren't in this forum baggin Phoenix Contact.

Why??? They have been there AND they are bigger than that and its a waste of time. And those that are so quick to bash someone who has the balls to risk embarrassment should re examine themselves and do some soul searching and see if they amount to anything more than employee of the month.

"Yet it brings back repressed memories of my institutionalized fondness of the archaic, yet hyper-organized paradox that is my beautiful US Navy. The duality of the state of my mind manifests itself in a cringing smile. It is the purveyance of confusion on how being micro-managed can have no real discernible goal or direction. Yet we as the body of the US Navy somehow, someway achieve perfection out of an utter circus that exist at every command, never really realizing or pinpointing how this perfection could have ever been achieved. HOO YAH! US Navy!"
codythinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 10:14 AM #315
LittleH8kid

plays in the NXL
LittleH8kid supports Pev's Paintball
LittleH8kid plays in the APPA D1 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAKESNIPER View Post
I also think CEP and Aftershock should be bumped down to PSP D1 as well, for obvious reasons.

So AfterShock has one bad year and they should be sent to Div1? They are one of the best teams in the history of the sport.
LittleH8kid is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyNews Ups

Paintball News Rules
  1. No Upping threads. If you have something to say, please do, but don't post in the thread just to take it to the top of the forum.
  2. Do not post "1st post", "1st", "First post" or anything similar (or with any other number) at any point in a thread, even if you post a comment too. It is really annoying and it will result in a ban.
  3. If you don't like something, say why instead of just calling it ugly, lame, gay or any other name. If it is old, simply post a link or report the post with a link to the older News thread.
  4. Please don't post links for places to buy items. That encourages stores, sponsored players and other people to do it and spam the site.
If you have questions, please post them in the Talk to Mods/Admins forum.