Old 02-02-2013, 12:00 AM #44
masterofTHUMBS
boom headshot

has been a member for 10 years
masterofTHUMBS posts videos on PbNation
masterofTHUMBS is an NCPA player
masterofTHUMBS supports Pev's Paintball
masterofTHUMBS plays in the APPA D5 division
Definitely go for the mini over a g5. The first V1 minis weren't that great but anything V2 and up are all basically the same except for some slight differences in the poppet. As for DP, I've nver heard one good thing about their build quality. I can't speak for DP's customer service but Kee has excellent customer service and will go out of their way to help you out. Out of the box, the g5 seems to have some better features than the mini but you can easily upgrade a mini to where it will perform just like the axe. The axe has more volume in the dump chamber, everything else (tool-less bolt removal, microswitch trigger) doesn't effect performance.
masterofTHUMBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 09:59 PM #45
oberonson

oberonson supports Team VICIOUS
oberonson plays in the APPA beginner division
oberonson has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
oberonson supports Empire
i actually called KEE for invert mini info, but i was put on hold for half an hour, and then i gave up. I called later, and still never got put thru. All it said was that "all representatives are busy assisting other customers, please hold..." blah blah blah. Is that usual cus i dont wanna buy a mini, have problems with it, and get put on hold.
oberonson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 11:01 PM #46
dps093
I like Flexes

dps093 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
dps093 plays in the APPA D4 division
dps093 is one of the top 1000 posters on PbNation
dps093 is Boss
dps093 supports Ninja Paintball
dps093 supports Empire
Nah you'll be fine. Maybe they were actually really busy. Just read the manual, and you'll usually always be able to diagnose your mini's problem.
dps093 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 07:30 AM #47
bth9461

Quote:
Originally Posted by Straight Silver View Post
Dude he needs a marker now. He doesn't want the axe.

To the OP. I say G5. I had a G4 and loved the thing, and the G5 looks promising to me.
The point was that the used Axe was a better deal, more bang for the buck. I think it was good advice, for a guy on a budget. Oberonson seems to have reservations on going Used though.

I think this is a mistake. There have been several hardly used Axes forsale for 300-330.

If you are on a budget, used should be considered strongly. You can get some great deals. Just because it is Used does not mean you will have problems with it, and also New does not mean it will be problem free either.

I had a hard time getting my mind to think Used also, recentley. But after many suggesting it as a option on here, I took a step back. And looked around B/S/T and CL Local. Saw some great deals and took a chance on a used Mini with a bunch of extra equipment. The gun shoots great and the rotor is working great also.

But hey the only thing that would have been better, is if I could have got the Axe in the package instead of the Mini. If you only need the Gun, I saw lots of great deals on near perfect Axes for 300-330. Go used if on a budget.
Old 02-04-2013, 10:11 PM #48
oberonson

Well apparently according to my friend, the mini's trigger "is retarded there is a button behind it that makes the ball shoot and if that falls off which is easy your gun is basically trashed" Anyone know of this?
Old 02-04-2013, 10:45 PM #49
Kraig"K-Mart"Martin
412 KREW

Kraig"K-Mart"Martin plays in the PSP
 plays in the NXL
 plays in the NXL 2
Kraig"K-Mart"Martin plays in the APPA D3 division
Kraig"K-Mart"Martin supports Shocker RSX
yes this can happen, its a problem associated with heavily used mini's. There are multiple people on pbnation that are mini experts and can fix any of the problems associated online or over the phone. Also youtube is a good reference for common paintball problems. As for the debate, I owned multiple dp guns used to be sponsored by them and I currently own a mini and a axe pro. I would rank the mini slightly over the dp g5. Yes dp g5 corrected many issues compared to g4, g3 etc, however if you get a mini no matter what version, or color or whatever you can get the parts to upgrade the "version" of the gun very cheap.

G5:
pros:
newer marker
cheap, good entry level marker
fixes most older or common problems associated with "g" series markers

Cons:
limited amount of upgrades
customer service takes a while to get ahold of but work fairly quick once on the line
stock barrel is pretty crappy

mini
pros:
small and lightweight
TONS of upgrades available
(those who dont like mini's because of their size check out nummech paintball products who have the new grip extender to make it the size of the axe)
easy to find replacement parts for cheap

cons
size(which as stated above can be changed with a little money 35.99)
stock barrel sucks
depending on version doesnt have a on/off asa

The axe is a better/upgraded version of the mini.
slightly larger to feel better in the hands
has on/off asa
tool less back cap
has also a large variety of parts and upgrades
very well known for its quietness and efficiency when using upgraded bolt: ie lurker or boss bolt (these bolts can also be used on the mini!)

cons
stock barrel sucks
some people dont like feedneck, others do

I know you are on a budget but you can find a cheap axe on here as everyones saying. Yes its used, but that just means its broken in =)
I dont mean to beat a dead horse though.

So in summary, being a owner of all the markers listed so far heres my personal ranking:

1. Axe
2. Mini
3. Dp G5

But to be completely honest with you, paintball markers I like to describe as:
"To each, their own" Its more about what you want or feel most comfortable with. Its all about personal preference when comparing these guns. Ive seen people with ions stomp all over people using luxes and g6rs etc. Its your choice over everyone elses. I personally love the axe marker because in summary all in all it just fits me. I am a front/ snake player and I would choose this gun over any gun/marker made in the game today.
My suggestion, go to a local field and try each gun out. See how it feels in your hands, see if it fits your playing style or liking then go from there and upgrade it as far as you want to meet you style/personal liking.

If you choose one and dont like it, just switch it up and get a different one or upgrade like most of us users on here do. Trust me, if you stay in this game a while, you will someday have probably every marker you can think of pass through your hand at some point til you find the one that fits you that season. then repeat. It will happen I promise. But for now just pick which one you feel you like the most dont let anyone on here make your decison for you. Most opinions will be biased towards the users marker preference which you never know could be completely different than yours!

hope this helps!
just wanted to try to stop this madness going on in this thread lol
Kraig"K-Mart"Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 11:30 PM #50
[NA]WARLORD

[NA]WARLORD is a founding member
[NA]WARLORD owns a Planet Eclipse - Emek
[NA]WARLORD supports Ninja Paintball
Quote:
Originally Posted by oberonson View Post
Well apparently according to my friend, the mini's trigger "is retarded there is a button behind it that makes the ball shoot and if that falls off which is easy your gun is basically trashed" Anyone know of this?
Ok, that part is a sensor and yes it can fall out if your not careful, but there is a replacement for it and it's as easy as calling Empire and getting a new part. The Axe has a tiny check valve that falls out as well, but there is a spare in the tool kit provided to you, most other companies just give you o-rings, Empire gives you those and other things you may lose/drop as well. The gun isn't trashed, it's disabled until you get a new part just like any other gun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraig"K-Mart"Martin View Post
cons
size(which as stated above can be changed with a little money 35.99)
stock barrel sucks
depending on version doesnt have a on/off asa
The Nummech foregrip extender does not make the Mini the size of an Axe, it pushes the foregrip forward about an inch, the trigger frame is still small and people with large fingers will still find it awkward to walk the trigger. None of the Mini's ever came with an on/off asa, only the Axe did. The difference between the mini vesrions was the poppet. All mini's today are version 3.

to the OP, buy the Mini, the customer service alone is one of the best companies out to deal with. Even on a 2nd hand gun, they still back-up their products, not many other companies do this.
[NA]WARLORD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 12:25 PM #51
oberonson

I tried shooting the mini, and i must say, it feels alot better in my hands than the g5. The trigger is extremely easy to walk. So if i do get a used empire marker, are you guys saying it still comes with a warranty?
Old 02-05-2013, 01:58 PM #52
[NA]WARLORD

[NA]WARLORD is a founding member
[NA]WARLORD owns a Planet Eclipse - Emek
[NA]WARLORD supports Ninja Paintball
Yes and no, as for a physical warranty, no, but if you have an problems with the gun, Empire will back it up. I have seen second hand Mini/Axe owners get new boards, poppet's, and virtually any part you could ask for sent to them by Empire. They stand behind their products 100%.
[NA]WARLORD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 12:26 PM #53
oberonson

Speaking of companies standing behind their products, does Dye do that? I know this is unrelated, but i wanna buy a dye rotor from my friend, and if it has any problems, would Dye do just as you said empire would do?
Old 02-06-2013, 02:20 PM #54
dps093
I like Flexes

dps093 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
dps093 plays in the APPA D4 division
dps093 is one of the top 1000 posters on PbNation
dps093 is Boss
dps093 supports Ninja Paintball
dps093 supports Empire
Quote:
Originally Posted by oberonson View Post
Speaking of companies standing behind their products, does Dye do that? I know this is unrelated, but i wanna buy a dye rotor from my friend, and if it has any problems, would Dye do just as you said empire would do?
I've always had great customer service with Dye, no complaints And I've never seen a rotor with a serious problem that it needed to be sent in.
dps093 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 04:42 PM #55
eli1337
am i cool yet?

eli1337 supports Team VICIOUS
eli1337 plays in the APPA beginner division
eli1337 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
recently shot a g5 and it shoots better than any of the other g's.
but i would rather have a mini with a fore grip extender
Old 02-08-2013, 10:18 PM #56
Vantro
ThaManThaMythThaLegend

Vantro is playing at Living Legends VI
Vantro owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Vantro supports Team VICIOUS
Vantro has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Vantro has perfected Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Vantro supports DLX Technology
I love my G5..it is just a bit better than myg4. SUPER easy to maintain. internal air feed
... need we say more. slap a stiify on itand enjoy a geat marker at a low low price
Vantro is offline   Reply With Quote