PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

ReplyScenario Ups

Old 03-24-2011, 08:45 PM #1
ace_austin

Paintball Shotgun

No, this isn't the kind you build sabot rounds for and cram them down the tube of your favorite LAW. An idea I had yearish back for a MOUT game was that of a reliable, simple and effective paintball "shotgun". When the idea hit me it was kinda scary in its simplicity. Take your standard issue pump marker. (Or semi with a 6-8 round mag) and screw on a modified barrel. At the end of the barrel was a piece of piano/picture wire that shredded the paint as it left the barrel. We've all seen what it looks like when a ball is shredded in the tube but with the ball breaking after it left the barrel intact resulted in a much tighter spray pattern. I goofed around with some tests and found the thick slimey paints resulted in a pretty good spread at 20-30 feet. Lower FPS also minimized the "atomizing" when the paint broke. I'm sure with some refinement we could extend that out a little further.

Simple Rules: Use a different color ball from whatever the "normal" markers are shooting. Count shotgun hits like grenades, a spot and your out.

This is just me spitballing. I'm on a boat for the foreseeable future and thinking of the next paintball game I get to play. Anyone seen this before or think it'd be workable?
ace_austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 03-24-2011, 11:00 PM #2
flandersander

I don't see why not. I would think you could use any type of gun. Not sure if I would anything high end, but I've got an extra spyder barrel I could try something with. ill let you know how it turns out.
flandersander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 11:27 PM #3
flandersander

So, I just whipped something up. put a piece of snare wire through the slots in the end. Should work. Here are some pics.

It turned out ok I think. I'll let you know how it works once i get some air. Haha
Old 03-25-2011, 12:34 AM #4
ace_austin

It seemed the trick was only to take a corner off the ball. Enough for it to go snotty but not fly apart in a thousand little pieces. Try messing around with where the wire is and how much contact it makes with the ball. See if that gives you better results. I tried a couple of ways but since it wasn't widely accepted I kinda let it slide. But out here you've got nothing but time. So my mind has wandered back to it.

Last edited by ace_austin : 03-25-2011 at 12:40 AM.
Old 03-26-2011, 12:01 AM #5
lamorte
mod a la mode

lamorte is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
lamorte donated to help Peyton Trent
lamorte supports our troops
Arrow

sounds like for what you're trying to accomplish, having whatever is going to break the paint shell would be better placed just outside the barrel end. otherwise all you're going to do is have a big mess inside the barrel and eventually all the way down to the inside of the breech area. you might try something like this:

3 or 4 symmetrically placed pieces of say, stainless welding rod(thick enough that the force of the paint won't bend it), the ends ground to a point, just outside the end of the barrel. if the end of the barrel material was thick enough, you could just drill holes for the rods then press fit them in. if you weren't worried about looks, you could weld the rod to a hose clamp then tighten it to the end of the barrel. then the paint won't break till it leaves the barrel completely.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg shotgun bbl end.jpg (78.0 KB, 694 views)

✩☾ habitually nocturnal ☾✩
lamorte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 01:33 PM #6
Boom Master
Scenario Player

You know how the make sliced pickles? They use wire to cut them just like this..

Piano wire comes in different diameters. Fairly cheap at your hobby shop.

The knife idea would be worth tinkering with as well, Using one would start the ball spinning. Might be desireable to sling paint, might not if you want range. One knife on opposite sides might minimize spinning excessively.

Interesting idea. Have to talked to any local fields about being allowed to use it? They will say NO over the phone unless you set up a time so they can eyeball it and play with it.

If you haven't grown up by age 50........

You don't have to......
Boom Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 02:51 PM #7
lamorte
mod a la mode

lamorte is a Supporting Member
lamorte donated to help Peyton Trent
lamorte supports our troops
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Master View Post

The knife idea would be worth tinkering with as well, Using one would start the ball spinning. Might be desireable to sling paint, might not if you want range. One knife on opposite sides might minimize spinning excessively..
if that's referring to the idea i threw in here, you've misconstrued what i was illustrating. they aren't knives, they're round rod with the ends ground to a point, ends curved inward. if you use 3 or 4 of them evenly placed, they would act more like a choke letting most of the now exposed from the shell paint exactly through the center

✩☾ habitually nocturnal ☾✩
lamorte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 06:08 PM #8
ace_austin

That is the whole idea. Get as many brains working on the idea to come up with something workable, playable, and safe and then be able to go to fields in mass and say " We want to be able to play with this, this is how it works and can be used." Play with all the concepts you'd like to get the best choke and range. No patient pending, just another way to have fun.
Old 03-28-2011, 01:38 AM #9
flandersander

I don't think any field would let you play with a barrel that had sharp prongs pointing out the end. Lol. Maybe if you made a sort of false barrel. Like a big silencer, but with the sharp points inside it, you know? That way the ball would still break outside the barrel, but it would be less of a safety hazard. I played around with the idea of having an attachment on the end of the barrel that was smaller than the ball. Almost as if you squeezed the end of the barrel together. To pinch the ball on its way out. Maybe that wouldn't give enough range...
Old 03-30-2011, 09:48 AM #10
Battlehardened84
Go Hard or Go Home!!

You could even cut holes in to the bottom of the barrel that has the prongs in it to drain the paint that does land in the attachment. 2000 rounds that way and your definitely going to have paint in your barrel eventually you'll need a way to drain it so your not constantly cleaning the barrel.
"Some goddamn fool once said that flanks have got to be secure. Since then sonofa*****es all over the globe have been guarding their flanks. I don't agree with that. My flanks are something for the enemy to worry about, not me. Before he finds out where my flanks are, I'll be cutting the bastard's throat."
- General George S. Patton

Proud member of Reaper's Assassins
2015 Allied MVT @ Invasion of Normandy
Battlehardened84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 11:26 AM #11
Abnmp78

curious about the range. But if you used a single wire that is removable the ball would be more intact to travel farther. Then you remove the wire for cleaning. When you propose this tell them you will use their paint. That way the field will make money and be more open to the idea. Just needs to be a diff color.
Abnmp78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 12:39 AM #12
Omar Bradley
Allied Soldier

good idea

US ARMY
Omar Bradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 01:22 PM #13
tmckinney08

thats not a bad idea the break the bal out side the barrel is smart but an even break after leaving the barrel sounds to be best. maybe ill play around with something and my welder and let you guys know it will work.
Old 09-17-2011, 11:42 AM #14
Hyperion_Rail

This is the closest I've ever come to a paintball shotgun. When used right its pretty handy plus you can get actual launchers that aren't gun mounted, and are stand alone guns you can use just like a shotgun. These things are growing in popularity and arent as expensive as you'd expect.

Hyperion_Rail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 02:15 PM #15
Squidzzz

lengthen the points, allowing for less of a chance for paint to get in the barrel, say two-three paintballs in length of "open" space (just the four bars) that way if the paint shreds up it has somewhere else to go, other than the barrel...
just a thought
Squidzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 10:30 AM #16
Antlion
The Packrat of War!

Antlion has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
I'm still hoping Tippmann or somebody will produce a paintball gun that works like those tri-shot airsoft shotguns from UTG or whoever. It obviously wouldn't be .68cal but I wouldn't mind .50 or even .43 so long as I had a legitimate spread of paint with decent range. If the RAP4 shotgun wasn't a crappy overpriced pump, I'd see if they could make something.

And I'm not saying pumps are crappy. Just so we're clear.
Antlion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 11:00 AM #17
Boom Master
Scenario Player

I doubt few fields would allow "splatter" markers even with a special fill color. If they did, the commercial market would follow if there was a buck to be made.

I am in the process of building a single shot, 20 ball, sabot round as an anti tank weapon. Many fields still allow those old type of anti tank weapons. None allow it to be used on players. Just too much mass coming out the barrel.

It could be scaled Down to 3-5 balls. My prototype was 5 balls in a muzzle loader. Interested?

If you haven't grown up by age 50........

You don't have to......

Last edited by Boom Master : 03-04-2012 at 11:08 AM.
Boom Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 11:42 AM #18
hardboy

Shotgun applications should be kept at 4 to 6 paintballs coming out at the same time. The FPS should also be kept up, at the minimum 200 FPS. To low FPS the paintballs wont break on a player. Whats the use of having 6 paintballs coming at you if they dont break.
Old 03-04-2012, 12:15 PM #19
Nahib_Stilgar

Nahib_Stilgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 12:23 PM #20
Antlion
The Packrat of War!

Antlion has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Is that a carbon barrel on that "shotgun"?
What is that?
Antlion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 12:36 PM #21
Nahib_Stilgar

That is a Deadly wind barrel on a DSG.

12g powered, 20 rnd spring feed.

That one has a 14 inch barrel/feed tube.

Mine will be 10 inchs and hold 14 rounds...

Cant wait!
Nahib_Stilgar is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyScenario Ups