Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 10-31-2012, 09:38 AM #22
venice empire77
_________

has been a member for 10 years
venice empire77 is an NCPA National Champion
venice empire77 is one of the top 250 posters on PbNation
Reffing looked decent to me on the upper divisional fields. PSP 4 needed more experienced side line refs imo. But nothing too major
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 10-31-2012, 10:44 AM #23
Silent Fate
GAX

Silent Fate plays in the PSP
 plays in the NXL
Silent Fate plays in the APPA D4 division
psp4 the dye and eclispe fields were all fine when we played
Old 10-31-2012, 10:49 AM #24
Rob-GG
Handy with the steel

Well nobody's perfect guys ppl make mistakes. Sometimes you have 2 beat the players & the refs to win. I coached d4 plus played 10man no complaints here. Sack up maybe ref a tourney then you will figure it out that it ain't easy. There's always next season

"Handy with the Steel"
Rob-GG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 11:22 AM #25
Blazed1121
The Golden Child

Blazed1121 plays in the PSP
Blazed1121 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Blazed1121 plays in the APPA D4 division
Psp 1 and GI fields had great refs. The extremely tall guy on psp 1 and the rasta dude on GI were no joke. Prolly the best refs I ever seen at any event.
Old 10-31-2012, 08:47 PM #26
txpb614
Sean

txpb614 plays in the PSP
txpb614 helped look for balloons
txpb614 is an NCPA player
txpb614 plays in the APPA D4 division
Psp 1 had an amazing reffing crew. Especially the dude with a skeleton mask. Just making correct calls all day. Reffing was on point this tournament.
txpb614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 09:48 PM #27
Stea1thNinja

Stea1thNinja plays in the PSP
Stea1thNinja supports Team VICIOUS
Stea1thNinja plays in the APPA D4 division
I was talking about refs that were making all their calls from the net, not really getting involved in the game. Teams allowed to wear jerseys that were covered in yellow. Players being put back in after being called out.

With the speed that the PSP is growing we are going to have to deal with some less experienced refs and I can appreciate that. The problem is if this type of behavior becomes the new normal which is why I asked the question and am excited to hear that most people had different observations than I did.
Stea1thNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 07:37 AM #28
aspazatak

aspazatak is a Supporting Member
aspazatak plays in the MiLP
I was the head ref on PSP1 that has been both praised and ridiculed in the same thread. This comes with the territory and I don't mind at all. My goal is to make sure the games are run as efficiently and fairly as possible and that all the teams have fun. Did some of my refs lack experience? Absolutely, but they have to start somewhere. Did I have refs that were unsure of the rules and therefore afraid to call penalties? Yes again. Those on my field saw how many times I would walk over to refs during and after a game to talk to them and explain what I saw that they did right or wrong. Many teams asked that I replace a ref and as much as that sounds like a good idea I was already running a short staffed field and we don't exactly have a pool of standby's. All in all I think as a squad the refs did fine. We missed way to many calls and penalties were missed throughout the tournament, but it was balanced fair. If your team happened to be dealt a bad straw and came out on the loosing side of the call more then the beneficial side know that it wasn't intentional.

I hope to see everyone at the events next year as well.
Old 11-01-2012, 11:47 AM #29
The Wigglestick
I'm ya huckleberry...

The Wigglestick plays in the PSP
The Wigglestick owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
The Wigglestick posts videos on PbNation
The Wigglestick plays in the APPA D4 division
we played on the d5 field, whichever number that was, and the same thing sunday. there was only one call that was positively mindblowing. i was at the race in the snake and a mid field player tried to run and jump the snake and bunker me. i get the warning and while he is still in his jump, i shoot him and he shoots me, he then runs and shoots out my last player. sideline specators are screaming he was hit! i said to the ref he was hit. he lets him play on, and magically when it comes time to hang the flag, said player walks off the field and lets someone else hang it.

other than that, the calls were spot on.

Fox Brother's BATTALION
Fox Brother's Paintball Park
My Youtube Channel
2013 Eastern Paintball League East Coast Cup D5 Champions
The Wigglestick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 12:01 PM #30
pbstar1792

The girl ref with the crazy yellowish hair..every event I have came to this year she has had the most complaints out of any ref I have ever come in contact with. It is not just my team, teams on the sidelines and pits come up and tell us how bad she is. I understand reffing is a thankless job, I have done it. But to come to a national tournament you would expect you're paying for national reffing.
But, everyone else on that field was spot on. The ultimate was great at explaining calls and the other refs were great at getting in and calling players out. Overall I was happy.
pbstar1792 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 12:23 PM #31
contractkilla117
Gator Bait

contractkilla117 is playing at Living Legends V
contractkilla117 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
contractkilla117 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
contractkilla117 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
contractkilla117 has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
contractkilla117 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
contractkilla117 has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Yeah the chick with the crazy hair was a bit of a moron. Other than that I had very few problems with refs . PSP field 3 was spot on with calls.
contractkilla117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 01:51 PM #32
Andocommando
Honey Badger don't care

plays in the NXL
Andocommando owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Andocommando posts videos on PbNation
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbstar1792 View Post
The girl ref with the crazy yellowish hair..every event I have came to this year she has had the most complaints out of any ref I have ever come in contact with. It is not just my team, teams on the sidelines and pits come up and tell us how bad she is. I understand reffing is a thankless job, I have done it. But to come to a national tournament you would expect you're paying for national reffing.
But, everyone else on that field was spot on. The ultimate was great at explaining calls and the other refs were great at getting in and calling players out. Overall I was happy.
haha she blew it for me last year. She was letting air out of a bunker when the clock was under 10 seconds to point start. Of course she couldnt get the plug back in and move out of the way fast enough and I had to pick a different spot and got blasted. It was that awesome tall tower with the sick lane on the snake I had been playing all event

www.facebook.com/paintballarkansas
Andocommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 01:55 PM #33
eforce
Factory PB

eforce is a Moderator
eforce plays in the PSP
eforce is an NCPA player
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wigglestick View Post
we played on the d5 field, whichever number that was, and the same thing sunday. there was only one call that was positively mindblowing. i was at the race in the snake and a mid field player tried to run and jump the snake and bunker me. i get the warning and while he is still in his jump, i shoot him and he shoots me, he then runs and shoots out my last player. sideline specators are screaming he was hit! i said to the ref he was hit. he lets him play on, and magically when it comes time to hang the flag, said player walks off the field and lets someone else hang it.

other than that, the calls were spot on.
Two things to point out:

1. As a referee, you never take a player's word for anything, unless they are admitting guilt. It's naive and unprofessional.
2. You shouldn't be talking to a referee while a game is in play.

While it may have appeared to be a clean trade out to you, this situation usually results from a player in your position getting shot first in an area you cannot see or feel (hopper, pack, etc) or by someone else cross field while you're focused on catching the guy that's coming to get you. A perfect example is when a major was thrown on PSP 2 during one of the college matches. Somebody came down to bunker a guy at the snake race. Although the player in question and the snake race traded out clean, the player doing the run-through was shot first by god. To anyone only looking at the 40 snake area, it looked like a clean trade and a bull**** penalty. To anyone that saw the whole snake tape as it happened, it was an obvious penalty. Needless to say, the player that did the run-through went back to the pits thinking he got a major for a clean tradeout and was unaware that someone else shot him on the way in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbstar1792 View Post
Food for thought... the least popular refs are the ones that throw penalties. She was on top of her game.
eforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 02:35 PM #34
Deimus85
Playground Legend

Deimus85 is a Supporting Member
Deimus85 is an NCPA National Champion
Deimus85 plays in the APPA D2 division
Deimus85 supports DLX Technology
The one thing I forgot to ask is why were there chronos missing from the chrono stations on some of the fields?
Old 11-01-2012, 02:48 PM #35
eforce
Factory PB

eforce is a Moderator
eforce plays in the PSP
eforce is an NCPA player
PSP had issues securing them to the station. Several clocks were stolen at last events and as a result the back line refs had to manually chrono players.
eforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 02:51 PM #36
JAKELEVY

JAKELEVY plays in the PSP
JAKELEVY owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
JAKELEVY supports Ninja Paintball
You get good calls you get bad calls. It happens in every sport. I dont see anyone saying the other team got a major, let me go check to see if they got a bad call. Play strait up and if you win you know you didnt cheat anyone. If you loose hope that the other team was better that day and you didnt get cheated. If you get a bad call chalk it up to better luck next time. At the end of the day paintball is fun. You should go to the events to have a good time. If you leave with some hardware great. If not you at least had a good time with your boys.

It is more fun when you win with your boys though......

Just my $.02
JAKELEVY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 02:53 PM #37
gpt_balla228

gpt_balla228 plays in the PSP
gpt_balla228 plays in the MiLP
gpt_balla228 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Quote:
Originally Posted by eforce View Post
Food for thought... the least popular refs are the ones that throw penalties. She was on top of her game.
I would have to agree but usually the least popular refs are the ones that throw penalties right or wrong. If ones throws a penalty and its the RIGHT call I would never be sour or try to argue. I usually like that thank refs for calls with or without majors/minors as they are players too. I remember the girl from Chicago and Cup though and I agree some of the calls were up most questionable but thats my opinion
gpt_balla228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 03:33 PM #38
kyle53pntball
I'm more legit than you?

kyle53pntball plays in the PSP
kyle53pntball helped look for balloons
kyle53pntball plays in the APPA D4 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by eforce View Post
PSP had issues securing them to the station. Several clocks were stolen at last events and as a result the back line refs had to manually chrono players.
Not once did I chrono at the event. No ref ever asked me to lol.. I actually brought it up to some team mates.

kyle53pntball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 03:38 PM #39
pbizlife

pbizlife plays in the PSP
pbizlife supports Team VICIOUS
pbizlife posts videos on PbNation
Lucky, I got chrono'd the first 5 points we played, and we had a chrono in our pits
pbizlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 03:46 PM #40
kyle53pntball
I'm more legit than you?

kyle53pntball plays in the PSP
kyle53pntball helped look for balloons
kyle53pntball plays in the APPA D4 division
We had chrono in our pits too, I just never got asked by a ref.

kyle53pntball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 03:52 PM #41
NorCalMagic

NorCalMagic plays in the PSP
NorCalMagic supports Cereal Killerz 2
NorCalMagic plays in the APPA D3 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by aspazatak View Post
Did I have refs that were unsure of the rules? Yes again. Those on my field saw how many times I would walk over to refs during and after a game to talk to them and explain what I saw that they did right or wrong.
I had no bad calls or anything, but this statement scares me... that is all.

Refs need to know the rules, especially at World Cup where we are paying seriously a crazy amount of $ for 4 games... WC isn't the place to be teaching refs the rules or what could have been done differently after the game or even during?... No joke, on our field, I could have swore that one ref hasn't even played paintball before or even reffed before...

One game I was last alive in back center. 2 left on opponent's team... one in snake, other coming up dorito's... I shot dorito, who then played on and got a minor penalty. As the ref was running across the field to pull the other guy, which I'm not sure why they didn't just relay across field to pull the snake guy, the snake guy shoots me, he obviously saw the other ref coming for him.

I thought I should have been wiped clean then would still have had ~15 seconds to hang the flag to send the game to OT. Mistakenly, I turned to look at a ref and she calls me out. No point given, we then were down 2-1 with 15 seconds left... In hindsight, I probably should have just raged and wiped it and not even have spoken to any ref and just ran, pulled the flag and hung it, then let everything be sorted out after I hung the flag.

What would you guys recommend in that situation?
NorCalMagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 04:03 PM #42
11shooter

11shooter plays in the PSP
11shooter plays in the APPA D4 division
11shooter supports Empire
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle53pntball View Post
We had chrono in our pits too, I just never got asked by a ref.
i dont know what field you were on but we got chrono every point by the refs, friday and sunday.