Old 02-10-2013, 08:47 PM #22
twinings
Cereal Eater

has been a member for 10 years
twinings plays in the PSP
twinings plays in the APPA D4 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLand View Post
waiting for players to enter the field, chronoing guns, etc.
I would blame this factor for the slow tempo. Part of the solution is to have a chrono ref who checks all the on-deck players while the current game is in progress.

Quote:
Getting rid of round robin
What do you mean by this?
twinings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 02-11-2013, 12:25 PM #23
RLand
Red Dragons!

RLand posts videos on PbNation
RLand plays in the APPA beginner division
RLand has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinings View Post
What do you mean by this?
Instead of Team A playing first point against Team B then leaving field so two more teams can play, we'll schedule it so that Team A will play first point against a Team B, have a 2 minute break, then play 2nd point, then (if needed) have a 2 minute break and play 3rd point. There will be a total of 5 minutes of game time to play the 3 points (game time will pause during break time) for a total possible time of 9 minutes instead of a possible 12 minutes like we had for the first tourney.

After Team A and Team B play their final point, we'll have a 2 minute timer start while 2 more teams take the field, then start the process over.

This should help things run much quicker.

I hope that makes sense lol
RLand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 12:42 PM #24
twinings
Cereal Eater

So, basically it will be raceto-2 Xball. Is there such a format in the PSP rule book?

I bet a lot of teams will prefer that format. Others won't because they'll discover that they aren't in good enough shape or are organized enough to play back to back points. Two minutes is not a lot of time to get ready for the next round if your roster is only five players.
Old 02-11-2013, 12:51 PM #25
RLand
Red Dragons!

This is the way PSP used to run the RaceTo-2. Last year was when they changed it to round robin. We aren't 100% sure that we will switch to this format, but things have to speed up, so it's a possibility. Even PSP affiliated teams have the option to run back-to-back or round robin.
Old 02-11-2013, 01:00 PM #26
twinings
Cereal Eater

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLand View Post
This is the way PSP used to run the RaceTo-2
Wow, I didn't know that option. As a player, I would prefer the back-to-back games, because it is closer to how we play paintball in practice.
Old 02-11-2013, 01:24 PM #27
CYNDYR05
.::pRo FaCe PaInTeR::.

plays in the NXL
CYNDYR05 owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
CYNDYR05 plays in the APPA D3 division
Copycat the formats from other successful leagues if it works for them it should work for you unless human error screws it up...I'm all for more legit PB in Texas but the keyword is "legit" no need to kill the PB scene with a halfassed tourney just to make money....I see you responding and asking for advice that's a move in the right direction most leagues that fail do not ask for input hence why they fail.

FZR
CYNDYR05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 01:33 PM #28
RLand
Red Dragons!

I've said from the beginning that its not about the money. As long as I make enough to pay prizes, refs, fields etc and have enough left over to order paint for next tourney then I'm good. I legitimately want to grow the sport... That's why CTPL was created.
Old 02-11-2013, 03:53 PM #29
mjshotty
Mikey... he likes it

Can't email right now but I'll post thoughts while I have a moment to type. Now I've never ran a tournament or operated a field, only played so take it for what it's worth, but here's what I see as the hang ups from Sat:

1) Earlier start time - Every tournament I've played first game was at 8am and definitely no later than 8:30am so that time/daylight wouldn't be an issue. Everyone has to get up a little earlier but it's expected. Had this been the case, prelims, even though late, would have finished around 3:15 and everything done by 4:30 with no short cuts or having to get Alex involved.

2) Get a chrono setup first thing - A lot of the between game delays I saw had to do with players having to wait until on the field to chrono (we were guilty on one occasion). If there's a station setup they can leisurely do it between points. Whether that's the field owner or tournament director's responsibility I don't know but I would think it should help a lot.

3) Announce next team during 2 min breaks - One thing I remember from PSP and AXBL is them having a staff member calling out who's on deck and who's in the hole. If your team's not paying attention and ready guess what, you play with who's on the field or forfeit a point.

4) Consistency in reffing - let me give a precursor that I and my team (Freeballers) were never on the short end of a bad flag, yes we received a penalty or two but for good measure. Watching games I explicitly recall one of the refs throwing a flag to a guy for pack hit and next game not penalizing the guy running through with a shot square in his chest and game after that not penalizing the guy with at least 2 or 3 hits on his hopper. There will always be reffing issues, it's part of making a judgement call and having done it in baseball I know you're always the enemy but consistency is greatly appreciated even if its bad lol.

5) All for ref's lunch break but... if you're already an hour and a half behind it may be a good idea to cut it short and rethink the timing structure.

I can't say whether round robin or xball is a better format over the other as I've seen both work very well but it has to be consistent either way and I think points 2 and 3 really determine the fluidity of the tournament overall.

Decently ran for your first 5man event, glad to see you reaching out for input and I applaud you for getting things going in TX again. Think you have great potential with this and would love to see this and AXBL grow.

~Michael
mjshotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 04:05 PM #30
twinings
Cereal Eater

^^^ I agree with every word.

The refereeing part is difficult because there are always complaints about referees in any sport. Unfortunately, Texas has not had enough tournaments in recent years for there to be a large number of highly experienced referees willing to get shot and yelled at for an entire Saturday.

Last edited by twinings : 02-11-2013 at 04:09 PM.
Old 02-11-2013, 04:14 PM #31
fisterL7

fisterL7 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
fisterL7 supports Team VICIOUS
fisterL7 plays in the APPA D4 division
fisterL7 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinings View Post
^^^ I agree with every word.

The refereeing part is difficult because there are always complaints about referees in any sport. Unfortunately, Texas has not had enough tournaments in recent years for there to be a large number of highly experienced referees willing to get shot and yelled at for an entire Saturday.
I agree with this reffing part .. not every team will ever be pleased #justsayin
fisterL7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 05:27 PM #32
W355B

Are the results out for this Tourny?
W355B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 05:39 PM #33
twinings
Cereal Eater

http://www.paintball-players.org/sco...kings2013.html

http://paintball-players.org/scores/...topScores.html

Last edited by twinings : 02-11-2013 at 05:44 PM.
Old 02-11-2013, 06:41 PM #34
Comanche Badlanz PB

Thank you Regan for putting on the CTPL and giving these guys a chance to win $1000.00 cash or $500.00 or the entry fee to the next event, whereas nobody else was putting on these tournaments for these guys to compete. All tournaments are gonna have bugs in 'em, especially the first one. I'm sure it'll go much smoother next time. We are all looking forward to hosting the tournaments and supporting the CTPL!!!
Comanche Badlanz PB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 07:03 PM #35
Kingwood

Kingwood plays in the APPA D5 division
Kingwood has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Kingwood has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
My team and I had a BLAST at this event! We sucked it up but it was still the most fun we've had at a tournament so far. We REALLY appreciate how easy-going the staff was and very helpful. Thanks to all involved, teams and staff alike. We'll se y'all at event 3!
Old 02-11-2013, 08:39 PM #36
fisterL7

anypics or videos of the event up yet ?
Old 02-12-2013, 11:30 AM #37
Hunter2-1
Cali girl

Hunter2-1 supports Team VICIOUS
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisterL7 View Post
anypics or videos of the event up yet ?

^^^ what he said.
Old 02-12-2013, 11:48 AM #38
RLand
Red Dragons!

Spantastik should be getting some up this week. I'll post links here when they're ready.
Old 02-12-2013, 11:49 AM #39
RLand
Red Dragons!

Double post
Old 02-12-2013, 01:25 PM #40
RLand
Red Dragons!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjshotty View Post
1) Earlier start time - Every tournament I've played first game was at 8am and definitely no later than 8:30am so that time/daylight wouldn't be an issue. Everyone has to get up a little earlier but it's expected. Had this been the case, prelims, even though late, would have finished around 3:15 and everything done by 4:30 with no short cuts or having to get Alex involved.
I've ran previous tourneys that started at 9, but when 9 rolls around teams are still getting ready. I talked to the promoter for AES (Ryan Grey) and he said he starts at 9:05. I'm definitely open to starting earlier... I may try 9 this next 3-man and see how that goes.

Quote:
2) Get a chrono setup first thing - A lot of the between game delays I saw had to do with players having to wait until on the field to chrono (we were guilty on one occasion). If there's a station setup they can leisurely do it between points. Whether that's the field owner or tournament director's responsibility I don't know but I would think it should help a lot.
Getting guns chrono'ed quickly (preferably while teams are on deck) is definitely something we're going to implement. This, plus a set 1.5 to 2 minute timer between matches, will help things run quickly.

Quote:
3) Announce next team during 2 min breaks - One thing I remember from PSP and AXBL is them having a staff member calling out who's on deck and who's in the hole. If your team's not paying attention and ready guess what, you play with who's on the field or forfeit a point.
Another thing we're definitely going to implement. We're going to purchace a bullhorn for these announcements.

Quote:
4) Consistency in reffing - let me give a precursor that I and my team (Freeballers) were never on the short end of a bad flag, yes we received a penalty or two but for good measure. Watching games I explicitly recall one of the refs throwing a flag to a guy for pack hit and next game not penalizing the guy running through with a shot square in his chest and game after that not penalizing the guy with at least 2 or 3 hits on his hopper. There will always be reffing issues, it's part of making a judgement call and having done it in baseball I know you're always the enemy but consistency is greatly appreciated even if its bad lol.
There will be some ref changes and ref training prior to next event. Alex (@ X-Factor) was kind enough to offer ref training, so that's definitely something we'll do before next tourney.

Quote:
5) All for ref's lunch break but... if you're already an hour and a half behind it may be a good idea to cut it short and rethink the timing structure.
I will be hiring more refs before next tourney so we can have a rotation. This will give each ref several breaks during the day, including a lunch break, without having to stop play on the field.

Quote:
Decently ran for your first 5man event, glad to see you reaching out for input and I applaud you for getting things going in TX again. Think you have great potential with this and would love to see this and AXBL grow.

~Michael
Thank you very much for your input. This league is for the players, so the only way to make it successful is with player input and participation. I won't say next event will be perfect for everyone, but, thanks to you guys, I do know it will be greatly improved from this one.
Old 02-16-2013, 12:20 AM #41
fisterL7

video of the event is up on spantastik.com
ReplyRegional Ups