Community Focus

Old 03-15-2013, 09:05 PM #22
WVMEDIC20 (Banned)

WVMEDIC20 is playing at Living Legends VI
WVMEDIC20 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
WVMEDIC20 supports Team VICIOUS
WVMEDIC20 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
WVMEDIC20 supports DLX Technology
There is a ton of information on here guys so I want to first thank everyone for thier opinion. I would be interested to know where the plateau is with length and efficiency and fps...etc
I don't know if I can tell much of a real difference playing one game to the next switching lengths with the exception of bunker manipulation as before mentioned by someone. Anyway like I said I never expected so much information thanks again. ... keep iy coming
WVMEDIC20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 03-15-2013, 09:34 PM #23
Person

Person is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
Over a chrono is the only way to see imperical results of which barrel is most efficient for that particular gun with that particular paint..but you can make some generalizations based on whatever you find.
Person is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 10:43 PM #24
NJEmortal
weR1

Annual Supporting Member
 plays in the NXL
NJEmortal posts videos on PbNation
NJEmortal plays in the APPA D4 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parasite View Post
NJEmortal, I think that test you're suggesting would be great, as that relates to the op's question - what will be effected by changing tip length only.
Consider it done.
NJEmortal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 08:53 PM #25
WVMEDIC20 (Banned)

Can't wait to see the results. ... this may be a bit off topic of length but does anyone have any kind of proof or opinion or thought on stainless steel like the dye bs or aluminum like the dye ul or cf like the dw as far as the difderebt ways the materials act against the paintbalk - drag or so forth? I have read and heard a lot of different things just trying to find some good evidence of one or the other or some consitency in what people think.....
Thanks
Old 03-16-2013, 10:13 PM #26
ibunkerupwnd
it was all for lolz

ibunkerupwnd supports Team VICIOUS
ibunkerupwnd has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
ibunkerupwnd has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
ibunkerupwnd has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Bottom line whats the difference between 14 and 16 inch
Old 03-16-2013, 10:21 PM #27
Nicad
Common sense since '77!

Annual Supporting Member
Nicad is a founding member
Nicad works for a Paintball manufacturer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Person View Post
Correct. For efficiency you are really looking at anything from 9-11 inches before you start needing more gas to push the ball out at good chrono speed.

in a 14 inch barrel like a Dye UL, or a freak, you literally have 4 inches of barrel, and 10 inches of muzzle brake..just venting gas waiting for the ball to get out of the barrel....
I believe Dye UL backs are 6", Freak insert is 5.06". There is a lot more to the what goes on after the step past the control bore, depending on the step out diameter and porting, the ball doesn't simply stop accelerating as soon as it leaves the control bore.

Like Deadlywind on FB!
Nicad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 10:26 PM #28
Nicad
Common sense since '77!

Annual Supporting Member
Nicad is a founding member
Nicad works for a Paintball manufacturer
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVMEDIC20 View Post
Can't wait to see the results. ... this may be a bit off topic of length but does anyone have any kind of proof or opinion or thought on stainless steel like the dye bs or aluminum like the dye ul or cf like the dw as far as the difderebt ways the materials act against the paintbalk - drag or so forth? I have read and heard a lot of different things just trying to find some good evidence of one or the other or some consitency in what people think.....
Thanks
The ball really does not touch or drag along the walls after the control bore, so the material does not really matter so much at that point other than how well the paint can "self clean" off the material surface past the control bore. What matters is the control bore material (SS, anodized aluminum, brass, etc). Some people say that brass has an inherit lubricating property that has the least amount of friction on a ball, which is why there are brass Freak inserts available out there now! Back when weight didn't matter, entire barrels were made of brass and weighed a tonne.

Like Deadlywind on FB!
Nicad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 01:32 AM #29
SKI008

plays in the NXL
People are confusing control bore with overall length. Control bore is where you want the length. Past the control bore the ball really isn't touching the barrel like Nicad just said above me so length doesn't matter that much (though super short barrels with no porting are, of course, louder so there are reasons for having a barrel longer than the control bore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibunkerupwnd View Post
Bottom line whats the difference between 14 and 16 inch
Exactly 2 inches.
Old 03-17-2013, 02:08 PM #30
ibunkerupwnd
it was all for lolz

ibunkerupwnd supports Team VICIOUS
ibunkerupwnd has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
ibunkerupwnd has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
ibunkerupwnd has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKI008 View Post
People are confusing control bore with overall length. Control bore is where you want the length. Past the control bore the ball really isn't touching the barrel like Nicad just said above me so length doesn't matter that much (though super short barrels with no porting are, of course, louder so there are reasons for having a barrel longer than the control bore.

Exactly 2 inches.
I ment like proformance wise
Old 03-17-2013, 02:33 PM #31
Person

So did SKI008. No known difference other than barrel length. One may be slightly less efficient than the other. I would guess 14 inches is slightly more efficient, but when both are going to be barrels with 5 inches or whatever of control bore and 9-13 inches of large internal diameter porting, it isn't going to make a big difference.
Old 03-17-2013, 05:33 PM #32
ElJefe13

ElJefe13 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
ElJefe13 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
ElJefe13 supports Ninja Paintball
ElJefe13 supports Empire
Quote:
So did SKI008. No known difference other than barrel length. One may be slightly less efficient than the other. I would guess 14 inches is slightly more efficient, but when both are going to be barrels with 5 inches or whatever of control bore and 9-13 inches of large internal diameter porting, it isn't going to make a big difference.
You know what the difference in efficiency is? Nope, neither do I. I would guess its somewhere in the vicinity of 20-50 shots. Not enough to make a difference.

A shorter barrel is easier to maneuver, a longer one is easier to aim down. That's it. As for OP, I'd personally go with the shorter barrel.
ElJefe13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 07:24 PM #33
NJEmortal
weR1

Annual Supporting Member
 plays in the NXL

Again, barrel length isn't the only factor in efficiency and sound signature, but it is a factor.
Old 03-24-2013, 08:12 PM #34
Person

Great video dude. Definitely should be part 1 of a series.
Old 03-24-2013, 08:17 PM #35
Jinx18
Dynamic

Jinx18 plays in the APPA D4 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parasite View Post
To answer your question, only sound signature can be effected by barrel length; distance, accuracy & trajectory cannot. (emphasis on "length" - as all these factors can be effected in one way or another)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElJefe13 View Post
This. Also, a short (>12 inches) gets less efficiency, same if they get above 16 inches.
I'd definitely suggest going with the 15.
Quote:
Originally Posted by crowntheking View Post
Oh is that right?

Efficiency is based on you boring (amount of space around ball in the barrel) and sound signature will be based on porting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmcl281 View Post
we all know it's going to be less efficient if you keep going longer.
Quote:
Correct. For efficiency you are really looking at anything from 9-11 inches before you start needing more gas to push the ball out at good chrono speed.
Typical PBNation of people saying things as fact when they don't know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJEmortal View Post

Again, barrel length isn't the only factor in efficiency and sound signature, but it is a factor.

Very well done video and easily shows the results. The point at which you stop gaining efficiency is past the functional and usable length of a barrel. It is obviously past 17". I wouldn't use a barrel that long anyway. Also the improvements start dropping off fast. By 22" I would guess all the air would be vented and the ball would start slowing down. Keep in mind that is based on Ultralite porting. A barrel with more porting would lose velocity earlier and a barrel with less would lose velocity later.

Gearbag Sale!!!!!

Last edited by Jinx18 : 03-24-2013 at 08:20 PM.
Jinx18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 08:50 AM #36
NJEmortal
weR1

Annual Supporting Member
 plays in the NXL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinx18 View Post
Very well done video and easily shows the results. The point at which you stop gaining efficiency is past the functional and usable length of a barrel. It is obviously past 17". I wouldn't use a barrel that long anyway. Also the improvements start dropping off fast. By 22" I would guess all the air would be vented and the ball would start slowing down. Keep in mind that is based on Ultralite porting. A barrel with more porting would lose velocity earlier and a barrel with less would lose velocity later.
Thanks, bro
Old 03-25-2013, 11:29 AM #37
NJEmortal
weR1

Annual Supporting Member
 plays in the NXL
Quote:
Great video dude. Definitely should be part 1 of a series.
Thank you! I don't know how I would go about creating a series though, what did you have in mind?
Old 03-25-2013, 03:25 PM #38
WVMEDIC20 (Banned)

Thumbs up

That was an amazing video and has some actual tangible results attached to it about efficiency, sound signature and velocity. Thanks for all the work you put into it. As a side note... part two might be something about overboreing/underboreing - just a thought since it will effect velocity and efficiency as well.
Again awesome video!
Old 03-25-2013, 04:05 PM #39
drgonzo
Half-cocked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinx18 View Post
The point at which you stop gaining efficiency is past the functional and usable length of a barrel. It is obviously past 17".
With that back length and bore fitment, let's not overstate the data.
Old 03-25-2013, 07:26 PM #40
Person

Jinx, I was talking about the length of the actual bore, not the length of a stepped bore barrel.

I actually don't know about a series. This test was nice because it showed one thing pretty clearly. Possibly results would be different with a tighter bored barrel..but at least for the fitment you ran the extra length of ported barrel increased FPS.

drgonzo is right in mentioning that different back lengths and bore fitments could change things.

I guess for a follow up video, do the exact same thing with all 3 (or however many you have) of those dye carbon barrel backs, and see what kinda results you get. Maybe with a tighter bore it won't show gains going from 15 to 17 inches, or something. It would just be fun to see.

Last edited by Person : 03-25-2013 at 07:40 PM.
Old 03-25-2013, 10:31 PM #41
Parasite
Not Amused

Parasite is a Moderator
Parasite is a founding member
Parasite plays in the APPA D4 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJEmortal View Post
Wow, great to see, thanks for putting in that work for all of us!
Old 03-26-2013, 05:41 AM #42
Jinx18
Dynamic

Jinx18 plays in the APPA D4 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by drgonzo View Post
With that back length and bore fitment, let's not overstate the data.
What I said was true. "The point at which you stop gaining efficiency is past the functional and usable length of a barrel. It is obviously past 17" for an Ultralite. He showed velocity increases all the way up to 17" and it would continue for a little longer aswell. Would you shoot a 17" or longer barrel? I sure wouldnt. On top of that the increases start dropping fast. I wouldn't say get a 17" barrel for the extra couple of fps.

Gearbag Sale!!!!!

Last edited by Jinx18 : 03-26-2013 at 05:44 AM.
Jinx18 is offline   Reply With Quote