PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 03-15-2009, 02:46 PM #1
digital sol

has been a member for 10 years
digital sol supports DLX Technology
How To: Tune Dwell + Adjustment Manifold "Reduce Kick Etc"

Alright well today were going to talk about the Adjustment Manifold Screw and what it does, how it works, and how to adjust it properly. This is just being created to help people out with a little knowledge of their Luxe and prevent questions from becoming repetitive regarding the adjustment manifold & there Luxe.
For starters here are a few pictures of your typical Luxe Marker

The Luxe Manifold Adjustment Plate is located under the left side of the markers grips inside the trigger frame located next to the solenoid.

Adjusting this will have the same effects whether you are using the Feather Touch manifold, Stock Bolt, Or Nox Bolt', Effects are still the same'. This can be done on ANY LUXE marker'. Pro's and Con's will remain the same.

What are the pro’s and con’s of adjusting this screw?

Pros-
• Reduces Kick
• Reduces Sound Signature

Cons-
• Adjusting the screw inward too much can cause severe or noticeable drop off issues
• Your “ROF” Rate Of Fire can be reduced

The reason for all of this is because this manifold adjustment screw controls how fast the bolt returns after cycling. By slowing down the return time of the bolt the markers kick and sound signature is reduced. But by slowing it down too much you end up losing cycle time which leads to a lowered rate of fire. Personally during my own testing I did not notice a slower rate of fire or drop off until the screw was nearly completely turned inward. 7+ turns inward’.

Turning the screw inward reduces the bolt return time thus reducing the kick and sound signature. When I speak of “turns” inward I am going from the starting point of FLUSH. With the screw end completely flush with the top of the adjustment screw and each 100% full rotation counting as “1” turn.
These screws are tuned from the factory how-ever after I put 8k shots through mine I wanted to fine tune it and ended up with my screw being turned inward “4-5” turns in from flush. If you experience any type of shoot down back out the adjustment screw ¼ - ½ turn and you are set. I’m experiencing no drop off, and appear no noticeable rate of fire suffrage. I will wait another 8k shots before tuning the dwell or adjustment screw any more’. Marker has noticeable less kick after adjusting then prior and the sound signature was also reduced. I feel you’ll notice more of a sound signature difference with adjusting this screw with the Nox bolt than the stock bolt how-ever same concept goes with both bolts’. Nox just has a different cycle sound which is indeed quieter; kick will be reduced regardless of which bolt you are using.

Personally here are my current settings, I have not had a single ball break or chop sense I’ve bought and tuned this marker’. Please keep in mind these are just my personal settings, these are a good starting point for anyone with a similar set-up. I do NOT recommend lowering the dwell from the factory “12MS” for those whom do not have the feather touch manifold, or “14MS” with the feather touch manifold until your Luxe is rather fairly broken in..I’d say at least 8-10k Shots. Once you Luxe is broken in you can make small adjustments from there but until so it is not worth risking mid-game bolt stick for a few extra shots out of your tank. This goes especially for those whom are playing in cold weather conditions’, you may even want to consider raising the dwell 1 or 2 higher than stock settings depending on just how cold we are talking about here.

Feather Touch Luxe + Nox Bolt “For users without the feather touch manifold adjust the dwell to “12MS”
Manifold Adjustment Screw- 4-5 turns in from Flush
Dwell- 14MS
FSDO- 10-12MS “If you’re in Hot & Sunny Florida by all means you can keep it at the default 7MS or lower setting
Vision Mode- Vision
Loader Delay- “2MS-3ms” works great. Yes technically lowering this to 0 can help achieve slightly higher ROF’s how-ever the board is capped at 25bps which is achievable with the eye delay at the default 3ms and it’s not worth a chop just to have it set at 0’. You’re not gaining anything with the stock board by setting it at 0, but risking chopping a paintball.

Yes, my settings are near stock, they will stay there until its fully broken in'. It shoots amazing the way it is set right now so i cant wait to get a few more cases through it and fine tune it'.

So your luxe is fully broken in and you want to fine tune the marker to perform at its best. Let’s go ahead and tune that dwell.

What is dwell? Dwell determines how long the Luxe sends power to its solenoid valve, which in turn affects how long the bolt remains forward and how much air is released from the fire chamber to propel each paintball. The default dwell setting for a Luxe with the stock manifold is 12MS. The default setting with the Feather Touch manifold is 14MS. I recommend using these settings until the luxe is properly broken in 8+k shots to avoid having any type of cycling issues or inconsistency’s.

Why tune the dwell?

Pros
• Improve efficiency “shots per fill”
• Depending on where its set now possibly improve consistency as well

Cons
• Set too low you can half cycle the bolt & have erratic consistency
• Set too high and you are wasting air per shot

After the Luxe is properly broken in we can go ahead and fine tune the dwell setting. We do this by starting low and working are way up. Head to the chrono with the grips open, enter programming mode and bottom out the dwell. Fire the luxe, if it dosnt fully cycle or cycle at all or maybe it does cycle but the paintball travels at a low chrono speed raise the dwell “1MS” and fire it again. Keep raising the dwell “1MS” at a time until the luxe fully cycles a paintball at the chrono speed that matches its operation pressure. Basically if your luxe was shooting 290fps at the default dwell but a much lower fps now then we need to keep raising it “1MS” at a time. Continue to do this until the Luxe fully cycles at normal FPS limit and then raise the dwell “1-2MS” and you’re all set. Raising it 1 or 2MS after you found the sweet spot will prevent cycle errors and keep the consistency up to spec. Wam Bam…your all set’

If you have any issues simple put the dwell back at its stock settings of 12ms or 14ms depending on whether or not you have the feather touch manifold’. The stock settings work great but for those whom like getting the best performance out of there marker we do have the ability to fine tune our markers and get them performing at there best.

I also just want to point out that there is no “SET” dwell that’s going to work best with each Luxe, every marker is different. The more you use it, the more broken in it gets and the better you can fine tune the performance of your marker. Different bolts, manifolds and such are all going to have different effects on how low you can set your dwell while still making the marker perform better. The default settings are a great starting point until the marker is broken in. But there is indeed room for improvement after the marker is broken in.

I apologize in advance if the pictures are not crystal clear how-ever I am not a photographer by any means. If you have any information you would like to add or questions feel free to post up.

Last edited by digital sol : 03-15-2009 at 03:03 PM.
digital sol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 03-15-2009, 02:49 PM #2
digital sol

saved post spot for updates and such'

thank-you to the user whom provided the pictures of the blue luxe', edited first post with updated pictures for a better visual'

Last edited by digital sol : 03-15-2009 at 02:56 PM.
Old 03-15-2009, 03:09 PM #3
{WALLACE}

plays in the NXL
{WALLACE} posts videos on PbNation
{WALLACE} plays in the APPA D2 division
like i said before...STICKY!
{WALLACE} is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 09:32 PM #4
MERK_STATUS

MERK_STATUS is playing at Living Legends VIII
i was just thinking earlier about ajusting the manifold screw. i was gunna wait till some one posted something.
but BAM. here it is.
I VOTE STICKY!!
Old 03-15-2009, 10:17 PM #5
bballfreak0587

sticky. and i can turn my screw all the way in with no bolt problems is that normal
bballfreak0587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 10:25 PM #6
digital sol

Quote:
Originally Posted by bballfreak0587 View Post
sticky. and i can turn my screw all the way in with no bolt problems is that normal
each marker is different but technically turning the screw in all the way can cause drop off & a lower max rate of fire', this will vary from marker to marker
Old 03-15-2009, 10:35 PM #7
bballfreak0587

did nothing to me lol. and it actully made the gun shoot with more kick when dry fireing lol
Old 03-15-2009, 10:49 PM #8
digital sol

Quote:
did nothing to me lol. and it actully made the gun shoot with more kick when dry fireing lol
just like adjusting the dwell everything has its limits to the point where too much isnt really helping', i didnt notice a difference in kick between 5 turns in and 8 turns in so i left it at 5', but i did notice a big difference between flush and 5 turns in, marker has 0 kick and is buttery smooth', sometimes "too much" isnt better

as far as kick test goes, i wouldnt do comparisons without shooting paint', every marker is going to feel much different dry firing comparing to shooting paint', even my oldschool piranha pro has little kick when just dry firing', throw some paint and lay down 10+BPS and its a different story
Old 03-15-2009, 10:53 PM #9
bballfreak0587

sounds good. i have extra paint and air from practice ill play with it tomorrow. start flush and shoot why'll turning it in and go untill the kick stops becoming better
Old 03-15-2009, 10:58 PM #10
digital sol

Quote:
sounds good. i have extra paint and air from practice ill play with it tomorrow. start flush and shoot why'll turning it in and go untill the kick stops becoming better
Exactly
Old 03-15-2009, 11:48 PM #11
losangelesrep

losangelesrep supports Cereal Killerz 2
how does the new firing can affect all of this?
losangelesrep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 07:15 AM #12
digital sol

Quote:
Originally Posted by losangelesrep View Post
how does the new firing can affect all of this?
it wont', the new can was something they made so that the feather touch manifold would work with all luxe marker's, it was an issue they caught early on and is/was corrected

tuning goes the same reguardless of which bolt or manifold you are using'
Old 03-16-2009, 11:44 AM #13
dark_angel_lcd
Amish

dark_angel_lcd plays in the APPA D4 division

CIA | No Limit | CIA
dark_angel_lcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 11:59 AM #14
losangelesrep

losangelesrep supports Cereal Killerz 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by digital sol View Post
it wont', the new can was something they made so that the feather touch manifold would work with all luxe marker's, it was an issue they caught early on and is/was corrected

tuning goes the same reguardless of which bolt or manifold you are using'
thanks for clearing that up. definitely sticky-worthy
losangelesrep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 08:50 PM #15
Spilner22
C-DUB RACING

Now about tuning the Dwell. Do you mess with the Hpr at all. Let turn it in all the way then setting it. Let turning it out three or four turns. The reason i ask. Cause with my dm8. I would set the hpr at 3 turns out from being fully turned in. Then i would go to the dwell and keep turning the dwell up until i saw no increase in velocity. Then i would turn the dwell up 1 or 2 more ms and leave it. Then i would adjust the hpr to get my velocity of 290 to 300fps. I was wondering if you do this the same way with the luxe or the same concept.
Spilner22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 11:41 PM #16
digital sol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spilner22 View Post
Now about tuning the Dwell. Do you mess with the Hpr at all. Let turn it in all the way then setting it. Let turning it out three or four turns. The reason i ask. Cause with my dm8. I would set the hpr at 3 turns out from being fully turned in. Then i would go to the dwell and keep turning the dwell up until i saw no increase in velocity. Then i would turn the dwell up 1 or 2 more ms and leave it. Then i would adjust the hpr to get my velocity of 290 to 300fps. I was wondering if you do this the same way with the luxe or the same concept.
same concept, most luxe's are shooting 280-290's from the factory thus alot of hpr adjusting is not necessary', before adjusting the dwell i am under the asumption that the user is already @ the chrono speed of there goal "280-290fps" or at least close, after starting low on the dwell and finding the dwell's sweet spot and raising it 1 or 2 more ms after finding it you are set', the hpr can then be tweaked/adjusted "a little" to get the chrono speed where you want it sense some fields have varying regulation's...most around here are all 280-290fps'.

but yes in general its the same concept

when it comes down to it theres really not a whole lot to this markers which makes it nice', set the hpr to be shooting 290fps or your fields regulation, bottom out the dwell and raise slowly until the marker fully cycles @ the regular chrono speed and/or until there is not a huge jump in "FPS" between shots/dwell settings, raise 1-2 ms afterwards for a little safe spot and better consistancy, re-chrono and adjust the hpr slightly to get to your "FPS" goals and bam your done'

Last edited by digital sol : 03-17-2009 at 11:44 PM.
Old 03-18-2009, 02:44 PM #17
Spilner22
C-DUB RACING

ALright. and thanks for the info and helo
Spilner22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 08:06 PM #18
Gdude2008
__________DOOM___________

Gdude2008 plays in the PSP
Gdude2008 helped look for balloons
Gdude2008 supports Team VICIOUS
Gdude2008 is an NCPA player
Gdude2008 plays in the APPA D4 division
Gdude2008 has achieved Level 4 in PbNation Pursuit
I want to know what DLX says about the manifold adjustments...
ASMC

Orlando DOOM | HyperSports Park
MACDEV Clone GT
Gdude2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 08:37 PM #19
MERK_STATUS

MERK_STATUS is playing at Living Legends VIII
for some reason, even when i turned the manifold screw in one turn, i had maddddd fsdo.
and for some reason my luxe has no kick at all when it is turned all the way out. maybe it is just my gun.
Old 03-21-2009, 03:15 PM #20
skylinemerc
JR

skylinemerc plays in the PSP
skylinemerc owns a Planet Eclipse GSL
omg nice colors, sand/ sand polish?

☆ WTB Prestige GSL #722 ☆
skylinemerc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 07:09 PM #21
seanr