has been a member for 10 years
FoidPoosening donated to help Peyton Trent
FoidPoosening is playing at Living Legends VI
FoidPoosening supports our troops
FoidPoosening is one of the top 1000 posters on PbNation
FoidPoosening is Boss
FoidPoosening is Immortal
Nikon D7000 Vieo Focusing

Was curious as to if anyone else has this camera or has messed around with any Nikon high quality video.

Everything works great, and when I focus/zoom in on something when I'm standing still it will come out crisp and clear, but if I move a few feet back and re-zoom the picture is very fuzzy. Every time I hit the camera button to re-focus the lens (without actually taking a picture)... it just ends my video.

I was wondering if there's a way to re-focus the camera lens MID video...?

Thanks!

EDIT: Terrible misspelling of title, sorry

I started ArmoryPaintball.com because I love paintball! A sincere thank you to all of my customers all over the world for their continued business. :)
FoidPoosening is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 01-10-2013, 06:09 PM #2
skwirnmn
Chris Loh

Focus has everything to do with distance from your subject. When you zoom in and focus on a subject that is 10 feet away from you, the camera/lens will be focused on all objects that are 10 feet away. turn around and point your camera the other direction, the objects that are 10 feet away will all be in focus.

unfortunately, your nikon body will not allow for autofocus while recording. Most large sensor cameras will not auto focus, your nikon d7000 included.

Your Nikon lens is parfocal, this simply means that when you zoom in to an object that is 10 feet away and focus in on it, the focus will remain 10 feet away when you zoom back out. not all lenses are like this, several panasonic lenses change focus as you change focal length (zoom in/zoom out)

Best way to counter this is to keep an eye on your subject and turn the focus ring as you move closer or further from the subject. It takes some practice, I make a career out of being able to do it accurately, and people pay big money for someone with a skill set like that. Other than taking the time to learn how to pull/push focus, you can simply purchase a camcorder that does autofocus on it's own..?
Old 01-10-2013, 06:30 PM #3
FoidPoosening
www.ArmoryPaintball.com

FoidPoosening is Boss
Quote:
Originally Posted by skwirnmn View Post
Focus has everything to do with distance from your subject. When you zoom in and focus on a subject that is 10 feet away from you, the camera/lens will be focused on all objects that are 10 feet away. turn around and point your camera the other direction, the objects that are 10 feet away will all be in focus.

unfortunately, your nikon body will not allow for autofocus while recording. Most large sensor cameras will not auto focus, your nikon d7000 included.

Your Nikon lens is parfocal, this simply means that when you zoom in to an object that is 10 feet away and focus in on it, the focus will remain 10 feet away when you zoom back out. not all lenses are like this, several panasonic lenses change focus as you change focal length (zoom in/zoom out)

Best way to counter this is to keep an eye on your subject and turn the focus ring as you move closer or further from the subject. It takes some practice, I make a career out of being able to do it accurately, and people pay big money for someone with a skill set like that. Other than taking the time to learn how to pull/push focus, you can simply purchase a camcorder that does autofocus on it's own..?
This is really helpful

So I can use the manual focus ring to fix my issue for the most part when shooting video?

I started ArmoryPaintball.com because I love paintball! A sincere thank you to all of my customers all over the world for their continued business. :)
Old 01-10-2013, 06:36 PM #4
Rebeltilldeath3
Suicide Messiah

Rebeltilldeath3 is reppin' sidebar 4 life
The D7000 will autofocus when recording video.

You're probably in single servo, throw it in continuous focusing.
How I'd miss all the whiskey an' women.
I tried to be true, but it's all I can do,
Keepin' up with the Jonesin'
Rebeltilldeath3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 06:44 PM #5
FoidPoosening
www.ArmoryPaintball.com

FoidPoosening is Boss
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebeltilldeath3 View Post

Sounds like you disagree with the above post.

Either way, how would I do this?

Old 01-10-2013, 06:48 PM #6
pbjunkiee
Go big or go home

pbjunkiee is one of the top 1000 posters on PbNation
page 50 and 211 in your manual.

st:p hk trollfest 8-29-11
pbjunkiee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 06:57 PM #7
skwirnmn
Chris Loh

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoidPoosening View Post
This is really helpful

So I can use the manual focus ring to fix my issue for the most part when shooting video?
Yes, the focus ring can be turned while in video mode to focus manually. I'm not sure what lens you're using, I'd recommend putting the switch to Manual focus though. plenty of lenses can be focused while the switch is in auto, but some can not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebeltilldeath3 View Post

I forgot.. Yes, the d7000 will autofocus when recording video. It doesn't do so very accurately though. :/ haha, for basic stuff, the auto focus might suffice, if you're planning to capture professional looking video clips, the only way to get accurate focus is to do it manually.
Old 01-10-2013, 07:08 PM #8
FoidPoosening
www.ArmoryPaintball.com

FoidPoosening is Boss
Quote:
Yes, the focus ring can be turned while in video mode to focus manually. I'm not sure what lens you're using, I'd recommend putting the switch to Manual focus though. plenty of lenses can be focused while the switch is in auto, but some can not.

I forgot.. Yes, the d7000 will autofocus when recording video. It doesn't do so very accurately though. :/ haha, for basic stuff, the auto focus might suffice, if you're planning to capture professional looking video clips, the only way to get accurate focus is to do it manually.
Could I do a mix of the two? Put it in the autofocus mode + use the manual ring if its not 100% how I like it?

Old 01-10-2013, 07:11 PM #9
skwirnmn
Chris Loh

what lens are you using? you may be able to, some lenses will prohibit you however.
Old 01-10-2013, 07:44 PM #10
Rebeltilldeath3
Suicide Messiah

Quote:

Yeah, it hunts like crazy. If something changes, unless you're in perfect lighting, it will damn near go lock to lock before finding focus.
Old 01-10-2013, 07:58 PM #11
FoidPoosening
www.ArmoryPaintball.com

FoidPoosening is Boss
Quote:
what lens are you using? you may be able to, some lenses will prohibit you however.
AF-S NIKKOR 18-105mm 1:3-5-5.6G ED

, has a great range and has served me well for photos, but expanding out into video

Oh! And whilst you're here, whats a compatible lens that both has a high mm (IE looking for 200 or 300mm) AND has the ability to take photos up close

Sorry for the minor switch in topic, but I've found that the above lens on my Nikon can't take a picture of anything if the primary subject is within 1 foot of the actual lense (Stock photos, etc)

Old 01-10-2013, 08:13 PM #12
skwirnmn
Chris Loh

I can't answer your second question, that's best found using google..

in terms of focusing using the auto focus feature on your camera, and manual focusing, I'm not 100 percent certain, but I don't believe you can do so with that lens. I'm not a nikon shooter, but I believe the focus motor is still engaged even when it's not active. This means that turning it while it is in auto focus mode will damage it.

There are a few that may know if that lens is alright to manually over ride the focus. I know the Canon equivalent does not have full time manual focus though.
Old 01-10-2013, 09:05 PM #13
reddogphoto
BECAUSE ST:P

AF-S on a Nikon is the rough equivalent to USM on Canon. You can override autofocus on AF-S lenses at any time, same as you can with a USM. Screw drive AF lenses have to have the focus drive disengaged before using the focusing ring.

My name is Ted and I produce photos. Sometimes I get a decent one. http://closefocusmedia.com
reddogphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 11:37 PM #14
FoidPoosening
www.ArmoryPaintball.com

FoidPoosening is Boss
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddogphoto View Post
AF-S on a Nikon is the rough equivalent to USM on Canon. You can override autofocus on AF-S lenses at any time, same as you can with a USM. Screw drive AF lenses have to have the focus drive disengaged before using the focusing ring.
Does this translate into me being able to use the manual focus ring whilst being in auto mode?

Thanks!

Old 01-10-2013, 11:41 PM #15
skwirnmn
Chris Loh

Yea, Todd pretty much explained it to me.. You can, however, not recommended. No adverse effects on your lens, but you'll have better looking video if you're just pulling focus manually.
Old 01-10-2013, 11:55 PM #16
FoidPoosening
www.ArmoryPaintball.com

FoidPoosening is Boss
Quote:
Yea, Todd pretty much explained it to me.. You can, however, not recommended. No adverse effects on your lens, but you'll have better looking video if you're just pulling focus manually.
That makes sense, the auto would turn into interference at a certain point.

Will have to start practicing

So if I'm out of auto mode, which mode would be best for practicing/actually doing this?

Old 01-11-2013, 12:50 AM #17
Cmizzle
Full Time Tape Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbjunkiee View Post
page 50 and 211 in your manual.
One of my professors makes you whip out your manual whenever you have a question about your camera. "Read it, learn it, know it"
Cmizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 06:26 AM #18
Rebeltilldeath3
Suicide Messiah

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddogphoto View Post
Not entirely true, on most kit lenses like the OP is using, there's no M/A. The focus ring is locked until you throw it into manual.
Old 01-11-2013, 07:55 AM #19
FoidPoosening
www.ArmoryPaintball.com

FoidPoosening is Boss
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmizzle View Post
One of my professors makes you whip out your manual whenever you have a question about your camera. "Read it, learn it, know it"
What are you studying specifically? And don't say "photography," haha I guess what class

And so any idea on the mode?

Thanks so much everyone!

Old 01-12-2013, 09:18 PM #20
ProtoBaller1991
Come to VLN my child

ProtoBaller1991 donated to help Peyton Trent
ProtoBaller1991 supports Team VICIOUS
ProtoBaller1991 supports Team VICIOUS
ProtoBaller1991 posts videos on PbNation
Quote:

that was a lot to just say if you focus on something 10 feet away, things 10 feet away will be in focus. lol

OP- if you focus then move, its going to be out of focus. And autofocus is for nubs when it comes to video so domt use it, But i think chris or someone already said your camera cant do that anyway.

Instagram

Last edited by ProtoBaller1991 : 01-12-2013 at 09:21 PM.
ProtoBaller1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 09:22 AM #21
AABanned

AABanned owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
AABanned owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
AABanned supports Pev's Paintball
AABanned supports Ninja Paintball
D3100, D3200, D5100, D5200, and D7000 all have continuous af while recording.

As far as I know the AF on most of those is horrendous. My D5100 will randomly decide to try and focus on something else after it's been focused on what I want for like 5 seconds. It's just poor design on Nikon's end.

Supposedly the D5200 has an improved AF system. I can't wait to get my hands on one and try it out. If it truly is improved, I can see myself picking up a used body in the spring.

Last edited by AABanned : 01-15-2013 at 09:26 AM.
AABanned is offline   Reply With Quote