Community Focus

Old 01-28-2011, 06:01 PM #1
Smit
PAINTBALL

Smit owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Smit has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
tank hydro

ok so i know your suppose to get your tank rehyrdoed but im wondering how many people actually do that and how many people play with a out of hydroyed tank? just wondering i for one play with a out of hydroed tank works fine.

When Poop hits the fan...

You have to Poop too?
Smit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 01-31-2011, 09:15 AM #2
Lanarchy

At my field, they fill your tank, and they check hydro. I've never kept a tank long enough for it to need hydro testing again though. I usually sell it to someone else by then.

You can play with an out of hydro tank, but the dangers increase. The potential for explosions, or a ruptured tank increase heavily with age. Not just a money thing, but a very dangerous situation, especially if it ruptures when you slide into a bunker, or dive, and it explodes right next to your chest.

Personally, if I ever have a tank that meets its hydro date, I'll pay to have it tested, or buy a new one.
Lanarchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 03:57 PM #3
Smit
PAINTBALL

Smit has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
ok thanks you

When Poop hits the fan...

You have to Poop too?
Smit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 08:11 AM #4
AlanPball

I know this is an old thread but I'm very curious as to why one would really need a hydro on a gas cylinder? I know it sounds like this question should have a DUH before the answer but it doesn't really make sense. If I play regularly, my tank stays at a pressure far greater than a hydro will ever reach. If my tank is 3000psi and they fill it with water to the same pressure, yes the gauge reads the same but ultimately there is an enormous world difference in pressures. Pneumatic is in the neighborhood of 100x what a hydro is per 10 lbs. If I have a crack in my cylinder, I will notice it far sooner with a gas than I would with water. Water may trickle out of the crack, where as gas would whistle. If you are concerned with your tank simply apply soap and water on the tank, or drop the tank in a bucket of water. You will see bubbles with both test.

The only reason for a hydro IMO is if the tank has been out of service for a while, the tank has been dropped, or you have suspicsion that the tank may have incurred damage.

In that case, if they have any welding supply shops, or gas suppliers, I would take the cylinder there and explain your situation and have them check it. 9x out of 10 these guys would probably be more than happy to check the cylinder prior to filling it.
AlanPball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 12:19 PM #5
EPluribusUnum

EPluribusUnum plays in the PSP
EPluribusUnum owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
EPluribusUnum plays in the APPA D4 division
hydro testing a tank is very important.
EPluribusUnum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 07:40 PM #6
GM2viking
Copaani mirshmure'cye vod

GM2viking is BST Trusted
GM2viking supports Cereal Killerz 2
GM2viking is playing at Living Legends V
GM2viking owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
GM2viking has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
GM2viking has perfected Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
The thing about anything filled to that pressure is that it won't just 'whistle' it'll explode, violently. So Getting a tank hydro'd once in a while is not that big of a deal... plus it's not like you're messing with the reg.
Black/Blue Bob Long G6R
"Lava" Etek 3 LT
GM2viking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 03:50 AM #7
thrilkil

thrilkil owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
thrilkil is for the Gunfight
thrilkil has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
thrilkil is attending Decay of Nations VI
The ACTUAL reason for hydrotesting was a dot requirement because of other much larger tanks in use that take severe abuse. These smaller tanks just happen to fall under the same laws because paintball isn't a big deal on a legislative front. I have actually seen a 50+ year old tank in my line of work steadily holding 6k psi left in a scrap yard.

Most of the kids in paintball don't realize when they severely damage a tank (dent it) so I'm ok for these rules for the general population. Although a steel tank shouldn't need to be hydro'd realistically for at least 20 years.
thrilkil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 09:01 PM #8
xXxM4A1xXx
Im Behind You... Pop

xXxM4A1xXx is BST Trusted
xXxM4A1xXx is playing at Living Legends V
xXxM4A1xXx posts videos on PbNation
xXxM4A1xXx has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
xXxM4A1xXx has perfected Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
xXxM4A1xXx has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
ok this is coming from someone who has hydroed several tanks, it is important to have a tank hydroed because while yes it might hold that 3k of pressure from filling it all the time, doesnt mean over time it starts breaking down over time from contravting and expanding, and this isnt something that can be noticed from your view, so it is tested, when they test a normal 4.5k tank they tank it to 7.5k, just so were are clear they are purposly over filling that one bottle with 3k more pressure than normally would be in the bottle at one time if that pressure doesnt escape the bottle is good and has no leaks or anything, now if it were to leaking over fail well you get a nice tank back with a hole drilled in the bottom of it preventing you from ever filling it again.

Sponsored By:
Paintball Explosion --- Killjoy Industries --- Flurry Industries

The SaintS Proudly Shoot Markers Manufactured By:
Tippmann --- Tiberius Arms
xXxM4A1xXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 12:04 AM #9
locomex4life16
Lilspeedy626

has been a member for 10 years
locomex4life16 owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
Quote:
Originally Posted by xXxM4A1xXx View Post
ok this is coming from someone who has hydroed several tanks, it is important to have a tank hydroed because while yes it might hold that 3k of pressure from filling it all the time, doesnt mean over time it starts breaking down over time from contravting and expanding, and this isnt something that can be noticed from your view, so it is tested, when they test a normal 4.5k tank they tank it to 7.5k, just so were are clear they are purposly over filling that one bottle with 3k more pressure than normally would be in the bottle at one time if that pressure doesnt escape the bottle is good and has no leaks or anything, now if it were to leaking over fail well you get a nice tank back with a hole drilled in the bottom of it preventing you from ever filling it again.
jb weld the hole!!!

If ur a christian paintballer put this in ur profile, dont be afraid, be proud u are brave enough to have FAITH, and show it.
locomex4life16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 12:42 AM #10
808_PB

808_PB supports Team VICIOUS
808_PB supports Team VICIOUS
808_PB has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
808_PB is attending Decay of Nations VI
At my field, they fill your tank, and they check hydro.
808_PB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 07:21 PM #11
Team Misfit
Blue Thunder

Team Misfit is playing at Living Legends VII
Team Misfit owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
Team Misfit supports Pev's Paintball
Team Misfit is attending Decay of Nations VI
Team Misfit supports DLX Technology
My field doesn't do hydro well at least I don't think they do o.O
56/45 Empire Ultra Light Tank
Indianapolis Mutiny New England Hurricane Portland Uprising