PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 10-23-2012, 12:58 PM #64
$h@key J0nEZ
The South Will Rise Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt.is.back2011 View Post
War is nothing more than a fiscal stimulus...hence why WWII helped drive the US out of recession...

But as a classic liberal professor from college once told me, if given the choice, he'd rather have stimulus here at home building railroads, schools, transportation, and research, vs. toys that get built then blown up 2 weeks later overseas.

At least with R&D domestically, it pays dividends into the longterm future.
Somebody has forgotten what the Iraq war did to the price of gas and the effects from it.
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 10-23-2012, 01:11 PM #65
Matt.is.back2011

has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by $h@key J0nEZ View Post
Somebody has forgotten what the Iraq war did to the price of gas and the effects from it.
Gas prices are rarely effected by external factors due to being inelastic goods with a constantly increasing demand profile, giant oil companies abroad and domestically, and the oligopolies that exist in the petroleum market that control the supply of crude oil.

What's your point, exactly?

U of M Football: 10-2

Last edited by Matt.is.back2011 : 10-23-2012 at 01:16 PM.
Matt.is.back2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 01:28 PM #66
licence2kill
POOP

Quote:
1. we were away from the zero lower bound so fiscal multiplier was zero
2. gas prices rise on restriction of supply and/or expectations of higher real growth leading to higher demand
licence2kill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 01:34 PM #67
$h@key J0nEZ

Quote:
Gas prices are rarely effected by external factors due to being inelastic goods with a constantly increasing demand profile, giant oil companies abroad and domestically, and the oligopolies that exist in the petroleum market that control the supply of crude oil.

What's your point, exactly?
How quickly thou forgets....

Old 10-23-2012, 01:41 PM #68
$h@key J0nEZ

Gas prices have always been affected by war and instability in the Middle East.

Edit: Take a guess when the Gulf War happened.

Last edited by $h@key J0nEZ : 10-23-2012 at 01:45 PM.
$h@key J0nEZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 01:49 PM #69
$h@key J0nEZ

My original point was that fuel prices are a huge factor in the economy. That's what caused the recession. It's also why we are having such a hard time coming out of it. It will be some time before the country adjusts. If it ever happens at all.
Old 10-23-2012, 02:01 PM #70
licence2kill
POOP

That is not what caused the recession.
Old 10-23-2012, 02:04 PM #71
barrel roll
secedere

barrel roll is one of the top 500 posters on PbNation
barrel roll is Legendary
I love the equivalent of "nu-uh!" responses.

Through knowledge, we gain freedom. Impress upon me the knowledge you have.
MQ2 rebuild kits, MP4 ram rebuilds, general 'cocker teching
Will soon be making super slick mid/half block bolts
barrel roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 02:08 PM #72
licence2kill
POOP

if you think gas prices caused the great recession then you need to incinerate yourself for the sake of humanity
Old 10-23-2012, 02:46 PM #73
$h@key J0nEZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by licence2kill View Post
if you think gas prices caused the great recession then you need to incinerate yourself for the sake of humanity
Quality post from Mr. if you know so much why didn't you save us from the recession?

Caution: Watch for falling bubbles!
Old 10-23-2012, 02:53 PM #74
spracks21
Zap Rowsdower

spracks21 plays in the PSP
spracks21 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
spracks21 supports Team VICIOUS
spracks21 supports Team VICIOUS
Actually, as everyone knows, the recession was due to kids not getting enough calcium in their diets.
spracks21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 02:58 PM #75
Matt.is.back2011

Quote:
My original point was that fuel prices are a huge factor in the economy. That's what caused the recession. It's also why we are having such a hard time coming out of it. It will be some time before the country adjusts. If it ever happens at all.
I figured you'd get to your point eventually.

So instead of taking the L2k approach, I'm going to ask you to please provide sources and statistics for your beliefs.

1. Please show statistical proof that gas prices increase during times of war, and decrease during times of peace.

2. Please explain how gas prices caused the current global recession.

Old 10-23-2012, 03:13 PM #76
TheSilentAssassin
Words and Stuff

Quote:
My original point was that fuel prices are a huge factor in the economy. That's what caused the recession.
You can't just make a claim like that without providing any form of evidence.
Old 10-23-2012, 03:31 PM #77
Swerve22

Quote:
War is nothing more than a fiscal stimulus...hence why WWII helped drive the US out of recession...
Then why does Obama keep going on and on about needing to cut military spending in during the debates?

www.gunfacts.info
Swerve22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 03:36 PM #78
Matt.is.back2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swerve22 View Post
Then why does Obama keep going on and on about needing to cut military spending in during the debates?
Because of the latter portion of my post; apparently Obama is in agreement with my liberal economist professor.

Old 10-23-2012, 03:37 PM #79
$h@key J0nEZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSilentAssassin View Post
You can't just make a claim like that without providing any form of evidence.
I'm not providing anymore evidence for the blatantly obvious. The chart I posted clearly shows corresponding gas prices going up at the same times the wars in Iraq started. If you can't put two and two together to figure out the effects from that on the country's economy then I can't help you. I'm not in anyway denying the housing bubble's effects on the economy in 2008, but that only compounded a recession that was already there. The heart of the matter is oil prices. Oil prices are what caused Detroit to fail. The American auto industry was way to slow bringing fuel efficient cars to the market. Instead opting to continue the trend of making gas guzzling SUVs and sports cars. Also don't forget about the rising oil prices spurring the trend of outsourcing jobs which was hurting the auto industry already.
Old 10-23-2012, 03:40 PM #80
TheSilentAssassin
Words and Stuff

Quote:
I'm not providing anymore evidence for the blatantly obvious. The chart I posted clearly shows corresponding gas prices going up at the same times the wars in Iraq started. If you can't put two and two together to figure out the effects from that on the country's economy then I can't help you. I'm not in anyway denying the housing bubble's effects on the economy in 2008, but that only compounded a recession that was already there. The heart of the matter is oil prices. Oil prices are what caused Detroit to fail. The American auto industry was way to slow bringing fuel efficient cars to the market. Instead opting to continue the trend of making gas guzzling SUVs and sports cars. Also don't forget about the rising oil prices spurring the trend of outsourcing jobs which was hurting the auto industry already.
lol, not worth it
Old 10-23-2012, 03:43 PM #81
$h@key J0nEZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSilentAssassin View Post
lol, not worth it
No balls
Old 10-23-2012, 03:48 PM #82
Matt.is.back2011

Quote:

Correlation=/=causation, you know. Just because fuel prices were rising during the Bush years/times of war, does not mean that wars cause increasing fuel prices, nor does it prove that the rise in gas prices themselves caused the global recession.

Also, this:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...oil_production

Iraq only makes up 3.75% of the world's oil production, and is 6th in OPEC for oil production.

And, this:http://www.indexmundi.com/energy.asp...h=productio n.

So your claim that destabalizing Iraq (through war) caused a spike in fuel prices isn't really true; the only time oil production from Iraq ever changed was in the formative years of the War, but since 2005 things have basically been status quo...

Gas prices have been rising steadily since the late 1990s, and yet it was not until late 2007 that the US officially entered into a recession. If gas prices cause recessions, why did it take so long to take notice?

Also, American automakers made a strategic decision in the early 2000's to abandon fuel effecient vehicles for larger, more 'fun to drive' ones. While Honda and Toyota saw record years in Sedan + hyrbid sales, they were utterlty getting destroyed in SUV and truck sales...between the two competing business units, the auto market essentially became a wash until 2006 and everyone was competing just fine.

Last edited by Matt.is.back2011 : 10-23-2012 at 04:05 PM.
Old 10-23-2012, 03:54 PM #83
TheSilentAssassin
Words and Stuff

The recession started in 2007. Want to know what else happened in 2007? The Colts won the Superbowl. Therefore the Colts are responsible for the recession. "I'm not providing anymore evidence for the blatantly obvious" and I'm not going to provide any experts that believe this. "If you can't put two and two together to figure this out, then I can't help you."

Seewhatididthere? I'm not bothering because you have yet to make a real argument. Not because I don't have balls (also what are we? 12?).
Old 10-23-2012, 04:14 PM #84
Umami
Hitmanimal

Umami works for a Paintball manufacturer
Umami supports our troops
Quote:
Gas prices have always been affected by war and instability in the Middle East.

Edit: Take a guess when the Gulf War happened.

I see maybe a little itty bitty spike when the war started, beyond that you're making **** up. If anything exports stabilized.