PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 12-09-2008, 10:37 PM #64
southbaykilla
EC

has been a member for 10 years
New League beginning March 2009. WCPPL Check West Southern California Section. Cash prizes!!!!
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 12-10-2008, 10:48 AM #65
raehl
NCPA President

raehl is a Moderator
raehl is a Supporting Member
raehl is a founding member
raehl plays in the PSP
raehl is an NCPA National Champion
raehl plays in the APPA D5 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by RabidChipmunk View Post
I hate to disagree with you here Chris. Granted the membership part you may be right, I will have to look into that one. However, the document found on the IRS website http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p557.pdf states and I quote "An organization may qualify for exemption from federal income tax if it is organized and operated exclusively for one or more of the following purposes." and listed in that list is "Fostering national or international amateur sports competition"

So it seems to me that this fits exactly in the IRS definition of a 501c3. And this is the June 2008 revision so I would have to think that this is pretty up to date.
Yes, that is true. But pay careful attention to the word "amateur" - can't give away prizes. There's a lot of other fine print as far as the amateur sports qualification goes.

- Chris

Check Out Paintball on TV!

National Collegiate Paintball Association, President - http://www.ncpapaintball.com

American Paintball Players Association - www.paintball-players.org
Old 12-10-2008, 11:53 PM #66
NV_Captain

NV_Captain plays in the USPL
NV_Captain plays in the PSP
NV_Captain plays in the APPA D4 division
Running a tournament of this size and caliber that meets everyone's expectations is a monumental feat. Are you ready to quit your paintball playing career to give it up to working nearly 72 hours straight at events and sleepless nights gathering everything it takes to accommodate the vendors and the players? Do you have a staff willing to work for low wages and without health benefits that may have to work in substandard conditions while you build up the venue?

To transport that turf around the country takes alot of money. In this state of the economy have you factored in the cost of operation, and cost projections, and how much money you would have to bring in to meet those expenses? Filing the legal paperwork is just the tidbit at the beginning of the ****pile.

And are you willing to stake your reputation on running an event that may flop on its face because of the low morale of the staff, overworked referees, and politics. Before throwing up a simply researched idea and bouncing it off a forum, please thoroughly research the project and dig deep inside if you truly can run such an operation and not be wishful thinking.

Alot of teams stake a lot of money in these events. I for one, captain a division 3 (now defunct division 2) NPPL 2008 paintball team. There is alot of money we shell out for entry, paint, food, travel, and board.

IMO, you need a lot more research and effort a winning business plan before you advertise a new league here on pbnation. One that can back up the words with solid numbers, execution, staff, industry connections, and experience. It needs to be thoroughly thought out before you present it here.

Thank you for your time.
Old 12-11-2008, 12:24 AM #67
undrdg
RIP Larry Alexander

He won't have to do that if he follows the original idea behind the NPPl and that was to have sanctioned NPPL events.
Old 12-11-2008, 12:58 AM #68
NV_Captain

NV_Captain plays in the USPL
NV_Captain plays in the PSP
NV_Captain plays in the APPA D4 division
and who's going to run it? registration staff, event management, clean up crews, setup and take down, electrical and wiring, etc... NPO staff still need to get paid. Even if they volunteer, are they willing to work those thankless long hours? I was saying further and deeper research is needed before getting our hopes up on a wishful dream. Let's see some real numbers. Not piddling around trying to figure out what's the best business model to start out with. That's covered in Chapter One of every getting started in business textbooks in the library. Have a chat with your local SCORE and SBA office and see if it's feasible to run such a thing.

The Kubler Ross 5 stages of grief are:

1. Denial:
* Example - "I feel fine."; "This can't be happening, not to me!"

NPPL can't be gone, it's a national standard of the best of the best. We've trained hard every weekend, all those drills, countless cases of paint, scouting, practices, field fees, etc. It was the best of both 5man and 10man worlds, 7man. The strategy and tactics without the problems and politics of holding a 10man team together. It was spectatorable, the vendor and industry representation was second to none. How can it be gone?

2. Anger:
* Example - "Why me? It's not fair!" "NO! NO! How can this happen!"

Yes I am mad that the league is gone. NPPL represented more than just a tournament, that it wasnt a fly by night operation, it was where the best of the best came to play. Even back in the day when 5 man and 10 man formats was the game to play. It was where (like a tradition) you could hobnob with the celebrities and people in the know. Every division up made fewer mistakes, played tighter to the bunkers, made impact moves that were video perfect, and held their lanes. It held the entire event from start to close within a weekend. Back in the day, venues of this size and caliber took a week. 5 man started on monday, ended by wednesday, 10man started friday, and all events wrapped up on sunday. Today, 7man division 3,2,1, semipro, and pro team field walked by thursday and were wrapped up on sunday. What national event could match that?

3. Bargaining:
* Example - "Just let me live to see my children graduate."; "I'll do anything, can't you stretch it out? A few more years."

Well we could throw in the towel and hope that it comes back soon. We could take a break and become couch potatoes and slack off our work routines for the holidays. Once you've played a season of national events what else locally can compete with that? We had our run, made the best we can from it, is it truly time to hang up the hat?

4. Depression:
* Example - "I'm so sad, why bother with anything?"; "I'm going to die . . . What's the point?"

PSP takes a week, tuesday is travel, wednesday field walk, thursday thru sunday play. it's expensive, It's 5man, XBALL chews up six times more paint than we do in 7man NPPL. and 5man is... just 5man. It's on the east coast, but it plays in venues off the beaten path... If they bend over backwards to accomodate us west coasters will it take 2hours to drive from the airport to get to?

5. Acceptance:
* Example - "It's going to be OK."; "I can't fight it, I may as well prepare for it."

Do something about it.. keep practicing keep pushing keep training. If anything, push harder, because when and if that national event pops up you'll be ready and waiting.
Old 12-11-2008, 06:48 PM #69
Perfect10
//Missouri Reign//

Sounds Amazing to me.. please let me know further actions.
Old 12-12-2008, 04:52 PM #70
SpecialK79
Kevin-Osborn

I'm all for saving 7-man

Jolly Green tournament & scenario team
OK D-Day German 709
Old 12-12-2008, 08:47 PM #71
RabidChipmunk

Ok folks it's been a fun run. I have tried to garner support for this venture and there was some, but the numbers say what I probably wouldn't be able to summarize without them. Of the about 10,000 views on this and the thread titled "thanks f'ing idiots" this one was only viewed 25% of the time.

I have tried as much as I am able at the present time to put this back together. I can't say I threw everything I had into this because that wouldn't be true. I don't have the luxury for this to be a full time job for me.

I wish there could be more people backing this and we could make a better run at it. With Shawn starting the RPL and there being other local series picking up the slack I am having less faith in my idea.

Thank you to all of those who did support my idea and me in my venture. No money was received as such there is non to give back. Maybe there will be a time in the future that the idea can resurface and we can try again. To all best wishes with your teams and see you on the field.
Old 12-13-2008, 02:46 AM #72
raehl
NCPA President

raehl is a Moderator
raehl plays in the PSP
This is not the kind of endeavor that runs on donations. It runs on hundreds of thousands of dollars in investment + entry fees.

- Chris

National Collegiate Paintball Association, President - http://www.ncpapaintball.com

Old 12-14-2008, 07:49 PM #73
crazyboarder9999
~The Insurance Guy John~

crazyboarder9999 plays in the PSP
 plays in the NXL
 plays in the NXL 2
crazyboarder9999 plays in the APPA D5 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barky TP View Post
can we petition for government money? I mean NPPL helps keep some people afloat and so many people can and will loose jobs if NPPL and the likes go down
if the major car companies didnt get a bail out then i highly doubt the nppl would
Stay low, shoot your lanes and have fun!
Ask me about insurance for your paintball field, league, shop, or products
Old 12-14-2008, 08:54 PM #74
SeafoodSALAD
American Le Mans Series

Quote:
Originally Posted by undrdg View Post
neither is your mouth, but that seems to run on crap just fine.

haha!

he is kind of a negative nancy. lol
Old 12-14-2008, 11:25 PM #75
raehl
NCPA President

raehl is a Moderator
raehl plays in the PSP
I like to think of it as the voice of experience.

Considering I actually run the only national non-profit league...

Unfortunately experience can sometimes damp uninformed enthusiasm.

- Chris

Last edited by raehl : 12-15-2008 at 12:06 AM.
Old 12-15-2008, 12:03 PM #76
megabork
im jabba

megabork is a Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by RabidChipmunk View Post
Ok folks it's been a fun run. I have tried to garner support for this venture and there was some, but the numbers say what I probably wouldn't be able to summarize without them. Of the about 10,000 views on this and the thread titled "thanks f'ing idiots" this one was only viewed 25% of the time.

I have tried as much as I am able at the present time to put this back together. I can't say I threw everything I had into this because that wouldn't be true. I don't have the luxury for this to be a full time job for me.

I wish there could be more people backing this and we could make a better run at it. With Shawn starting the RPL and there being other local series picking up the slack I am having less faith in my idea.

Thank you to all of those who did support my idea and me in my venture. No money was received as such there is non to give back. Maybe there will be a time in the future that the idea can resurface and we can try again. To all best wishes with your teams and see you on the field.
theres allready a legit league forming .. WCPPL play it and have fun