Old 06-12-2012, 08:28 AM #64
mcgyver
Common Sense Is Tingling

mcgyver is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
mcgyver supports Pev's Paintball
mcgyver is one of the top 500 posters on PbNation
mcgyver is Legendary
Solid movie. I didnt have a lot of questions and didnt think it was too open-ended. A lot of great references and nods to Alien.

Theres certainly a lot you can analyze off this movie.

GO BEARS/CUBS/HAWKS
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 06-13-2012, 05:40 PM #65
The Inflicted
.detcilfnI ehT

I thought it was pretty bad.
Good looking, and apart from Guy Pearce's ridiculous makeup very well done, but the script was awful.
I think the profusion of loose ends and logic caps was the result of 2 or 3 different scripts in various stages of re-writes being combined because they ran out of time to finalize the story.

In summation, Ridley Scott has made his Phantom Menace.

Speaking of Phantom Menace, check this out
Warning: Spoilers in video.
Old 06-13-2012, 06:14 PM #66
Treghc

Treghc is a Supporting Member
Treghc is a founding member
Treghc is a Forum Captain
There's not many open questions about the story and what was open was blatantly left open for a sequel (leaving to find out why the Engineers did [or, rather, didn't do] what they did).

What other questions did you have? What loose ends are you referring to?

Tarsier Slave

We are Sapien
Old 06-13-2012, 06:17 PM #67
madgoat
Troll_Extraordinaire

madgoat has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
loose ends in a movie that almost certainly intends to spawn sequels? Color me shocked
Old 06-13-2012, 06:20 PM #68
The Inflicted
.detcilfnI ehT

They're not going to make sequels about Noomi Repace and Michael Fassbender's head traveling to alien planets on a stolen C-shaped spaceship.
Ridley Scott certainly isn't.

This is what happens when you let the Lost writers do movies. Things happen but there's never a resolution to anything.
Old 06-13-2012, 07:36 PM #69
mcgyver
Common Sense Is Tingling

mcgyver is a Supporting Member
mcgyver supports Pev's Paintball
mcgyver is one of the top 500 posters on PbNation
mcgyver is Legendary
I'll agree that theres some very obvious plot holes, and questions to be answered.
I feel that the complaints about this movie are in the same line as the Mass Effect 3 ending. Everyone wants to be spoonfed answers. Science and technology have given so much in the realm of film making, that now its all handed to us.

Alien had some similar issues. Whats this ship, what the hell was that giant thing with a hole in it? Why does the company want the Xenos? Why are there a ton of eggs in the ship? Who made the eggs? Obviously, James Cameron took some liberties and created a little more of a story and heirarchy for the Xenos.

Blade Runner also has some of the same issues? Is Dekkard a replicant? Whats Racheal's deal, true lifespan? Well that movie has a few versions, obviously Scott and the production company had some different views. Hence the forced Harrison Ford voice over.

Both of those movies are Ridley Scott and sci-fi. Prometheus does have some issues with it, but I think people went in expecting to see the story of what happened before Alien and where disapointed when they didnt get that.

Use your imagination, figure it out for yourself. I have my own theories, I actually enjoyed not being told every detail. People ***** about Inception's ending, why? Because the American film audience has been sold crap for years, endless sequels and retellings. Have questions? Dont worry some of them will be answered by the 3 sequels we have planned. Movies dont convey a characters thoughts like a book, you can only utilize so much time to tell a story. This movie could have used a slowdown or two. I felt like at times it needed to take a step back and give the viewer a chance to absorb things.

GO BEARS/CUBS/HAWKS
Old 06-13-2012, 07:40 PM #70
Treghc

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgyver View Post
I'll agree that theres some very obvious plot holes, and questions to be answered.
I feel that the complaints about this movie are in the same line as the Mass Effect 3 ending. Everyone wants to be spoonfed answers. Science and technology have given so much in the realm of film making, that now its all handed to us.

Alien had some similar issues. Whats this ship, what the hell was that giant thing with a hole in it? Why does the company want the Xenos? Why are there a ton of eggs in the ship? Who made the eggs? Obviously, James Cameron took some liberties and created a little more of a story and heirarchy for the Xenos.

Blade Runner also has some of the same issues? Is Dekkard a replicant? Whats Racheal's deal, true lifespan? Well that movie has a few versions, obviously Scott and the production company had some different views. Hence the forced Harrison Ford voice over.

Both of those movies are Ridley Scott and sci-fi. Prometheus does have some issues with it, but I think people went in expecting to see the story of what happened before Alien and where disapointed when they didnt get that.

Use your imagination, figure it out for yourself. I have my own theories, I actually enjoyed not being told every detail. People ***** about Inception's ending, why? Because the American film audience has been sold crap for years, endless sequels and retellings. Have questions? Dont worry some of them will be answered by the 3 sequels we have planned. Movies dont convey a characters thoughts like a book, you can only utilize so much time to tell a story. This movie could have used a slowdown or two. I felt like at times it needed to take a step back and give the viewer a chance to absorb things.
Pretty much sums it up. Some of the open gaps left me and my buddies to discuss the possible content to fill the gap and refer back to a lot of the occurring themes in philosophies and ancient myths for well over an hour.

I do agree a slowdown could be used within the film, but really only for the last 30-40 minutes of it. Of course, you can do what I did and watch it a second time (it was free... why not? ) and you'll grasp a whole lot more.

Tarsier Slave

We are Sapien
Old 06-13-2012, 07:55 PM #71
The Inflicted
.detcilfnI ehT

There's a difference, however, between elements to a plot that are left mysterious on purpose, and elements to a plot that are so incongruous that they reveal bad writing. Prometheus, sadly, has more of the later and less of the former.

My biggest criticism of Prometheus is that the characters tend to react in inexplicable ways to obviously dangerous things and/or not care at all about what's going on around them or happening to other characters. If the characters don't seem to care about the events of the film, why should we?

Also, even though Alien was a very simple movie and Prometheus, on paper at least, is a more ambitious one does not excuse Prometheus from failing to follow up on any of the themes it brings up. Just because a movie tells you, repeatedly, that it's supposedly about big issues like God and faith and "where did we come from" doesn't mean it has anything to say about them. If the writers had nothing important to say about these concepts, bringing up the questions just makes it look as if they're puffing up what should have been a nice little monster movie to look thoughtful than it really is.
Old 06-14-2012, 03:50 AM #72
dudeus000
Bloody Wanker

dudeus000 is a Supporting Member
Can't understand why this movie is getting bad reviews... I loved it. And I loved the original Alien.

Also, no way Ridley Scott is doing a sequel, he's never done a sequel in his career (that I can recall at least).

Edit: Incredible performance by Fassbender, as always.

Last edited by dudeus000 : 06-14-2012 at 03:54 AM.
Old 06-14-2012, 06:18 AM #73
madgoat
Troll_Extraordinaire

madgoat has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by dudeus000 View Post
Can't understand why this movie is getting bad reviews... I loved it. And I loved the original Alien.

Also, no way Ridley Scott is doing a sequel, he's never done a sequel in his career (that I can recall at least).

Edit: Incredible performance by Fassbender, as always.
if you don't think somebody is going to try to make at least one more movie related to prometheus, i've got a bridge for sale....

Last edited by madgoat : 06-14-2012 at 06:22 AM.
Old 06-14-2012, 08:44 AM #74
PM6 Scenerio Player
Its spelled correctly!!!

Call me crazy but I thought when Lindelof took over this script he wrote it with the intention to leave room for a sequal? Scott acknowledged that. He also said at WonderCon in March "If we're lucky, there'll be a second part. It does leave you with some nice open questions." With that I dont understand whats the problem people are having but then again I havent had the chance to see it yet.
Old 06-14-2012, 10:37 AM #75
spizle2k5
Pink Flag

spizle2k5 is for the Gunfight
spizle2k5 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Inflicted View Post
They're not going to make sequels about Noomi Repace and Michael Fassbender's head traveling to alien planets on a stolen C-shaped spaceship.
Ridley Scott certainly isn't.

This is what happens when you let the Lost writers do movies. Things happen but there's never a resolution to anything.
It does leave some nice questions but I don't think it will be based on the trip to their home world.

I think they will focus a sequel around the black substance and go parrallel to the alien movies
Old 06-14-2012, 11:53 AM #76
Treghc

Quote:
There's a difference, however, between elements to a plot that are left mysterious on purpose, and elements to a plot that are so incongruous that they reveal bad writing. Prometheus, sadly, has more of the later and less of the former.

My biggest criticism of Prometheus is that the characters tend to react in inexplicable ways to obviously dangerous things and/or not care at all about what's going on around them or happening to other characters. If the characters don't seem to care about the events of the film, why should we?

Also, even though Alien was a very simple movie and Prometheus, on paper at least, is a more ambitious one does not excuse Prometheus from failing to follow up on any of the themes it brings up. Just because a movie tells you, repeatedly, that it's supposedly about big issues like God and faith and "where did we come from" doesn't mean it has anything to say about them. If the writers had nothing important to say about these concepts, bringing up the questions just makes it look as if they're puffing up what should have been a nice little monster movie to look thoughtful than it really is.
Again, I ask you, what loose ends are you looking to tie up? What questions do you have? Maybe a bit of discussion will lend you some answers (as any good scifi should).

Rather than complaining about nothing in particular, how about we discuss the particulars and see what understandings we can come to.

Tarsier Slave

We are Sapien
Old 06-14-2012, 01:31 PM #77
The Inflicted
.detcilfnI ehT

It's the plot holes and inexplicable character actions more than "loose ends" that bother me.
Like I said, the gaps in logic begin to compound on one another until you start to wonder whether you're listening to a finalized script, or even the same script half the time.

See the video I posted for reference.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-x1Yu...layer_embedded
Old 06-14-2012, 02:41 PM #78
automagsrule

My question is why does nobody in the movie act like a normal rational human being? Was the plaents atmosphere made up of that gas in "cabin in the woods" that makes you act like an idiot?
Old 06-14-2012, 05:06 PM #79
dudeus000
Bloody Wanker

dudeus000 is a Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by madgoat View Post
if you don't think somebody is going to try to make at least one more movie related to prometheus, i've got a bridge for sale....
Didn't say nobody would, just not Ridley.

Old 06-15-2012, 02:42 PM #80
soflaballer954
Knights paintball

soflaballer954 plays in the PSP
soflaballer954 is an NCPA player
soflaballer954 plays in the APPA D5 division
http://cavalorn.livejournal.com/584135.html

Pretty interesting read about the movie.
Old 06-15-2012, 11:30 PM #81
haman
╭∩╮

Quote:
Originally Posted by automagsrule View Post
My question is why does nobody in the movie act like a normal rational human being? Was the plaents atmosphere made up of that gas in "cabin in the woods" that makes you act like an idiot?
They had a trillion dollar budget in the film but somehow they managed to get the stupidest scientists available.

Eminem fan club member #2
Old 06-17-2012, 06:06 PM #82
paintballh00dlum
lightweight

paintballh00dlum has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
I thought this movie was really bad and I am really open minded when it comes to movies. I thought to myself if I was more of an alien movie fan I probably would have liked it more. Not knocking the movie, just my opinion.
Old 06-18-2012, 01:17 AM #83
WorldStrike
PBN's Dick

WorldStrike supports Bob Gurnsey
WorldStrike posts videos on PbNation
WorldStrike has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Saw it tonight, thought it was great. Disregarding all attempted connections to the other movies in the series, it was seriously a solid, entertaining, thought-provoking and gripping film.
Says she don't see what all the ticking's for
Old 06-18-2012, 09:00 AM #84
chazchazchaz
Truth

chazchazchaz plays in the PSP
chazchazchaz posts videos on PbNation
Quote:
I thought it was pretty bad.
Good looking, and apart from Guy Pearce's ridiculous makeup very well done, but the script was awful.
I think the profusion of loose ends and logic caps was the result of 2 or 3 different scripts in various stages of re-writes being combined because they ran out of time to finalize the story.

In summation, Ridley Scott has made his Phantom Menace.

Speaking of Phantom Menace, check this out
Warning: Spoilers in video.
My thoughts exactly. Seemed like the writing was cheesy and it effected the acting. I felt like their reactions to everythig happening (finding other life, ect.) was dry, or wasn't super believable.

Fassbender is still the man. They kinda hinted around at him having his own feelings in the beginning, but dropped it later in light of the other plot. Would have liked to see more of that.

The costumes and props were awesome. The surgery machine was a cool future idea.

And now he's talking about a Blade Runner sequel with a strong female lead? WORST idea ever.

Last edited by chazchazchaz : 06-18-2012 at 09:05 AM.