PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Archived Thread - Cannot Edit  
Old 04-09-2006, 09:44 PM #1
_leo_

for those interested in running no ram spring

ok so heres my write up for devolumizing your ram so you can run no ram spring.

the advantages to this are a decrease in LPR pressure, reduction in kick and a nore efficiant and consistant opperation.

TOOLS NEEDED

1) hack saw
2) sandpaper
3) fire
4) two pairs of plyers or vice grips
5) allen key set

PARTS NEEDED

1) LPR/HPR or cup seal washer (comes with the promaster in the o ring kit)
2) loctite
3) Lube

STEP BY STEP HOW TOO

The first step in this prossess is to disassemble the marker and take the ram housing out

The next thing you'll need to do is heat up the hammer with a candle blow torch or lighter, so that the red loctite that ICD places on the threads of the hammer is melted. Then get your plyers/vice grips or whatever you want to use, and twist off the hammer from the rod.

Our next step would be to take the ram cap off and pull out the guts of the ram ( ram rod, spring, spring guide, and spring housing)

Next is to get the ram rod and a hack saw and cut the little stem off the end of the rod, then use soem sand paper to clean up the cut part

Next is the reassembly of the ram, take the ram rod, put soem lube on it and in the housing and insert i back in back i nthe ram housing. next you'll want to take the washer from your o ring kit and put it in the housing. After this is complete take your spring housing and insert it back in, but this tim wit hthe flat part first.

Now put the ram cap back on and loctite the hamemr on the rod and you'll notice when the hammer is pushed back you'll have a space about 1/16" wide. This is caused by the washer we inserted in. This is an internal ram bumper, to reduce the clingy sound and push the bolt forward so its even with the feedneck so that you won't have role back, and also to help prevent air from getting behind the spring housing.

If this mod isn't to your likign after you finish it you can still use the spring just reassemble it the right way, you just won't have the extra weight of the stem (which is only placed to help hold the spring in place)

Well i hope you enjoy my write up and good luck with your travels, and happy balling.

PS: like my ugly lightened stock hammer

Last edited by _leo_ : 04-09-2006 at 10:52 PM.
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 04-09-2006, 10:01 PM #2
deviilinsiide

with allthe mods you do to that thing it must feel liek your shooting a 1700 dollar gun
Old 04-09-2006, 10:04 PM #3
_leo_

course it does thats why i'd shoot my promaster over a timmy or shocker, even a dye
Old 04-09-2006, 10:11 PM #4
spyderlyfe

Quote:
Originally Posted by _leo_
Next is to get the ram rod and a hack saw and cut the little stem off the end of the rod, then use soem sand paper to clean up the cut part
what is the stem? and will this help anything or just get rid ofthe spring?
Old 04-09-2006, 10:18 PM #5
_leo_

Quote:
Originally Posted by _leo_
ok so heres my write up for devolumizing your ram so you can run no ram spring.

the advantages to this are a decrease in LPR pressure, reduction in kick and a nore efficiant and consistant opperation.

the stem is the tiny piece stickign off the back of the ram rod. if you take your ram cap out and spring housingand spring you'll see the little nub/stem stickign back
Old 04-09-2006, 10:24 PM #6
nate101111

there has to be a reson that they put the spring in there in the first place otherwise wouldent they just use a bumper like the timmies? also are there any drawbacks to this mod becous ime verry interested in it.
Old 04-09-2006, 10:28 PM #7
nate101111

also how do you set your lpr after this mod? do you sweet spot it or do you do it like the manuel says to do. it seems like the lpr pressure would be too high with upgraded internals becous some ups will allow a lower lpr pressure.
Old 04-09-2006, 10:33 PM #8
spyderlyfe

oh geese.. i didn't read that thanks for the quick anf non-flaming response
Old 04-09-2006, 10:36 PM #9
_leo_

you do it normally, and the spring is in there to reduce the chance of FSDO. if you look at people in the bushmaster forum that have taken their spring out they will tell oyu the exact same thing i am, there is also a thread on how to take the sprign out safely like i hear have showed you, without worring so much about FSDO.

the rams are generally designed liek the timmies ram and function the same

spyderlife no problem, this is a thread i started to help do the mod and understand how and why its done. plus this topic hasn't been covered a million times

Last edited by _leo_ : 04-09-2006 at 10:48 PM.
Old 04-09-2006, 10:43 PM #10
nate101111

so will you get bad fsdo with this mod.
Old 04-09-2006, 10:55 PM #11
assassinationACI
ONCE GREAT, ALWAYS GREAT

assassinationACI is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
^ the spring prevents it, meaning if you do get it, it wont happen. but you wont get fsdo at the right settings.
Old 04-09-2006, 10:57 PM #12
_leo_

no the point to devolumizing is to reduce how much air is goign into the housing from the back, reduce the dwell and the chance of FSDO. again its your call if you want to do it, i simply posted the how too, and don't expect people to do it if they don't want to
the spring doesn't prevent FSDO it minimizes it. with air and high volume the pressure will always settle, but with a lower volume you have less of a chance

Last edited by _leo_ : 04-09-2006 at 11:02 PM.
Old 04-09-2006, 11:13 PM #13
dementedpaintballer

research FTW!

https://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=1291758
Old 04-09-2006, 11:50 PM #14
nate101111

so if you devolumize it and take out the spring then it will not be likely to have fsdo correct.
Old 04-10-2006, 06:45 AM #15
dementedpaintballer

^ it will be likely to have fsdo since there is no spring to assist with preventing fsdo.
Old 04-10-2006, 07:21 AM #16
DyeMonic
Keep Satan in Christmas

DyeMonic is one of the top 500 posters on PbNation
DyeMonic is Legendary
So demented, can you do that to my gun, The Eric The Great Mod? because i you were going to do it the other day, but you didnt.
R.I.P Harbinger[TG] aka Kevin - 4/18/08 (permed)
Old 04-10-2006, 07:29 AM #17
dementedpaintballer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DyeMonic
So demented, can you do that to my gun, The Eric The Great Mod? because i you were going to do it the other day, but you didnt.
Personal messages are a wounderful thing.
Old 04-10-2006, 07:53 AM #18
som3 dud3
Hop stars

What kind of efficiency changes have you seen, and what is your full setup and operating pressure, dwell, lpr pressure, etc?
Old 04-10-2006, 08:30 AM #19
The_Hawk
There Is No Society

The_Hawk is reppin' sidebar 4 life
Quote:
Originally Posted by dementedpaintballer
Personal messages are a wounderful thing.
Talking to each other face to face is an even better thing...since you're brothers and all.
Let's jam

"Originally posted by pok3ypuppy: LOL SOMEBODY SHOULD SIG THIS."
Old 04-10-2006, 09:29 AM #20
dementedpaintballer

Quote:
Originally Posted by som3 dud3
What kind of efficiency changes have you seen, and what is your full setup and operating pressure, dwell, lpr pressure, etc?
the effeciency changes that are noticable are lower lpr pressure and lower dwell.
Old 04-10-2006, 09:49 AM #21
som3 dud3
Hop stars

But, about how much increase in efficiency, or decrease in dwell/LPR?