Old 08-13-2013, 03:21 PM #85
C-Kidder

C-Kidder owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
C-Kidder supports Team VICIOUS
C-Kidder supports DLX Technology
C-Kidder owns a Planet Eclipse GSL
Well looks like its time to enjoy what time I have left with the decently appealing theme's. Its been a good run but I guess they always crush us 3% eventually.

Crossing my fingers that if enough people hate the new ones he might make something a bit more eye appealing color wise.
C-Kidder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 08-13-2013, 03:51 PM #86
Decption-Clay
Oldballs Clay

has been a member for 10 years
Decption-Clay supports Shocker RSX
The new themes are just so cool though!

What you don't know cool when you see it?

Old 08-13-2013, 03:52 PM #87
Kyle
RESPECT MAH AUTHORITAY!

Annual Supporting Member
Kyle is a Supporting Member
Kyle is a founding member
Kyle supports Bob Gurnsey
Kyle supports our troops
Kyle is one of the top 250 posters on PbNation
You're going to stroke out if you don't stop sweating the small stuff, man.

Kyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 03:54 PM #88
orionz06
Turtle Wrangler

orionz06 is a Supporting Member
orionz06 is an NCPA player
orionz06 is Immortal
orionz06 supports DLX Technology
orionz06 supports DLX Technology
orionz06 supports Shocker RSX
Original blue must stay.
Penn State Paintball, Alumni #38
☆☆☆ The Departed© #38 ☆☆☆
Erie Fusion (original) #38

"Should you covet what you cannot afford. Maketh more money."
orionz06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 04:03 PM #89
RyanR

RyanR is one of the top 1000 posters on PbNation
RyanR supports Ninja Paintball
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
that or stroke out from staring at bright ugly colors..
Old 08-13-2013, 04:14 PM #90
JL1988

JL1988 plays in the APPA D4 division
JL1988 supports Ninja Paintball
Switched from fixed to fluid....enjoying the fluid much more
Old 08-13-2013, 04:36 PM #91
TheImPgoD
Big Fruit Cup

TheImPgoD is one of the top 500 posters on PbNation
Dark Red foreva. Sorry folks.

I'll try the new ones when I'm forced to Kind of like if PennDOT did a feeler thread on upping the tolls for the turnpike.

But I do appreciate you actually working to make the website better. I think.
______
___

RAINBOW<3
TheImPgoD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 04:46 PM #92
XxGRIZKIDxX

XxGRIZKIDxX owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
XxGRIZKIDxX owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
XxGRIZKIDxX has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
XxGRIZKIDxX has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
I just put on the 2013 gray and I like it. My old one was dark and this adds more color. Good Job! And I love how you guys are keeping the site modern and not letting it go to shambles. Keep it up pbn! (:
Old 08-13-2013, 04:49 PM #93
dominantgazelle

dominantgazelle is one of the top 250 posters on PbNation
whats the difference between fluids and non-fluids
dominantgazelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 05:01 PM #94
Decption-Clay
Oldballs Clay

Decption-Clay supports Shocker RSX
Quote:
I'm sorry I want my viewing the site to be pleasurable, instead of being forced into one miserable monochrome version or the other.

Instead of being a patronizing ***, you could actually take into consideration not getting rid of the other themes.

I don't give a **** about the new homepage, that's why I updated all of my bookmarks to not go to it. It looks stupid, and is just a big new billboard for ads, so why would I want a theme that matches it?
Old 08-13-2013, 05:12 PM #95
Kyle
RESPECT MAH AUTHORITAY!

Annual Supporting Member
Kyle supports our troops
Quote:
Originally Posted by Decption-Clay View Post
I'm sorry I want my viewing the site to be pleasurable, instead of being forced into one miserable monochrome version or the other.

Instead of being a patronizing ***, you could actually take into consideration not getting rid of the other themes.

I don't give a **** about the new homepage, that's why I updated all of my bookmarks to not go to it. It looks stupid, and is just a big new billboard for ads, so why would I want a theme that matches it?
I wasn't being patronizing, you really ought to chill out. We've already said in this thread that there are not going to be bookend advertisements on the forum side of things because I hate them, and you'll notice that the new themes don't have any more ads on them than the existing themes.

Listen, I get that you're not a fan of them, but I could work 25 hours a day and not please everyone. I think you've made it abundantly clear that you're not a fan and I've taken that under advisement but this change is inevitable so you might as well grow accustomed to one of the two themes.

Old 08-13-2013, 05:40 PM #96
RyanR

Quote:
Listen, I get that you're not a fan of them, but I could work 25 hours a day and not please everyone. I think you've made it abundantly clear that you're not a fan and I've taken that under advisement but this change is inevitable so you might as well grow accustomed to one of the two themes.

People were happy before the change..

Clearly there is more then 3% using the other colors.. Listen to THEM.
Old 08-13-2013, 05:44 PM #97
Kyle
RESPECT MAH AUTHORITAY!

Annual Supporting Member
Kyle supports our troops
There's 640,000+ members on PbNation. No theme that currently exists (with the exception of the default) has more than 2-3k users. It's a drop in the hat.

Most people use the default. The majority of the rest if you split them into two categories (light and dark themes) use a dark theme. So, we provided both a light theme, and a dark theme.

I realize there are going to be people unhappy about the themes, but that's life. Literally nothing would ever change if I tried to please everyone. And the funniest part? There would be people unhappy that I wasn't changing anything. It's a catch-22.

The internet is all about change, you embrace it and move on. People complain up and down every time facebook changes anything yet it's the most popular website in the world. We're no facebook obviously, but I don't think us changing the theme is one of the signs of the apocalypse.

Old 08-13-2013, 05:50 PM #98
TheImPgoD
Big Fruit Cup

TheImPgoD is one of the top 500 posters on PbNation
Quote:
There's 640,000+ members on PbNation. No theme that currently exists (with the exception of the default) has more than 2-3k users. It's a drop in the hat.

Most people use the default. The majority of the rest if you split them into two categories (light and dark themes) use a dark theme. So, we provided both a light theme, and a dark theme.

I realize there are going to be people unhappy about the themes, but that's life. Literally nothing would ever change if I tried to please everyone. And the funniest part? There would be people unhappy that I wasn't changing anything. It's a catch-22.

The internet is all about change, you embrace it and move on. People complain up and down every time facebook changes anything yet it's the most popular website in the world. We're no facebook obviously, but I don't think us changing the theme is one of the signs of the apocalypse.
Good points all around... but.. I do have ONE request. Well, possibly two.

A) Either bring back the sidebar (For real this time!!)

B) Or could you, in your almighty wisdom, perhaps make one of the "new" themes with some colour to it? I'm already partly colorblind. My current favorite, dark red, is mostly like the new greys but with just that lovely splash of blood on it. Keeps the screen brightness to a modest level (important with laptops that are near your face) but provides a welcome amount of contrast. The main forum page (.com/forum thingy) is a large.. well, it's a large notepad file sometimes. The color breaks it up.. helps me recognize when I've made it to Small Talk and the SP section.

And by the way, with all my ST posting, this is perhaps one of my very few "serious" posts. I'm sorta proud.
______
___

RAINBOW<3
TheImPgoD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 05:58 PM #99
Kyle
RESPECT MAH AUTHORITAY!

Annual Supporting Member
Kyle supports our troops
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheImPgoD View Post
B) Or could you, in your almighty wisdom, perhaps make one of the "new" themes with some colour to it? I'm already partly colorblind. My current favorite, dark red, is mostly like the new greys but with just that lovely splash of blood on it. Keeps the screen brightness to a modest level (important with laptops that are near your face) but provides a welcome amount of contrast.

And by the way, with all my ST posting, this is perhaps one of my very few "serious" posts. I'm sorta proud.
I'll think about it, but I'm not really sure how color introduces more contrast when black and white are literally as contrasting as you can get?

One of the primary reasons we're doing this is to simplify things. Maintaining many themes means testing on every theme and increases the complexity of things. I was talking to old Tony today, and he laughed when I told him about us changing the theme and said that giving the users multiple themes was probably one of the worst decisions he made with regards to running the site.

I know when the day comes that I change the default theme and disable the old themes people who don't read the site news are going to come out of the woodwork and blow a vein about their precious themes going away, but that's life. To be honest if we ever upgrade the site, we're not going to even maintain two themes. It means that every icon we design has to work on light and dark themes, that we double check everything in X themes to make sure it's readable, etc.

I'm the only guy at the helm as far as tech stuff goes and I just don't have the time to maintain that stuff when so few people use it.

Old 08-13-2013, 06:05 PM #100
RyanR

Quote:
To be honest if we ever upgrade the site, we're not going to even maintain two themes. .
wow
Old 08-13-2013, 06:09 PM #101
Kyle
RESPECT MAH AUTHORITAY!

Annual Supporting Member
Kyle supports our troops
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanR View Post
wow
If it makes you feel any better, the complexity of upgrading the site (or changing over to another platform) is such that it's pretty unlikely to happen during our lifetimes.

Old 08-13-2013, 06:13 PM #102
C-Kidder

C-Kidder supports DLX Technology
C-Kidder owns a Planet Eclipse GSL
Quote:
How many of these users are active accounts. To many people have multiple accounts. It would be nice to know how many people on their main account use it because 3% seems low.
Quote:
I'm the only guy at the helm as far as tech stuff goes and I just don't have the time to maintain that stuff when so few people use it.
I know labor cost money but there are always helpful people in and around the community that I am sure would help out if the call was made.

I like the changes and appreciate them don't get me wrong. I understand the need to keep things updated just think that since this is a user site that maybe user input could be collected before a decision was made in regards to color?

Thanks for the hard work either way Kyle
C-Kidder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 06:15 PM #103
Kyle
RESPECT MAH AUTHORITAY!

Annual Supporting Member
Kyle supports our troops
Quote:
Originally Posted by C-Kidder View Post
How many of these users are active accounts. To many people have multiple accounts. It would be nice to know how many people on their main account use it because 3% seems low.

I know labor cost money but there are always helpful people in and around the community that I am sure would help out if the call was made.

I Like the changes and appreciate them don't get me wrong. I understand to keep the need to keep things updated just think that since this is a user site that maybe user input could be collected before a decision was made in regards to color?

Thanks for the hard work either way Kyle
I totally get where you are coming from, but we've figured out over the past decade that "design by committee" just doesn't work. Over time even the new themes will evolve and people will get over the initial shock..

Old 08-13-2013, 06:34 PM #104
switch97
Ohio THRILL #97

switch97 plays in the APPA D5 division
switch97 supports DLX Technology
not bad. it is what it is
Ohio THRILL #97
Visit our Website and Facebook page
Shocker Parts For Sale!
switch97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 07:16 PM #105
Paint_hore
PBN=SUA syndrome

Quote:
I'll think about it, but I'm not really sure how color introduces more contrast when black and white are literally as contrasting as you can get?

Black/white is way too much contrast. It doesnt making reading a pleasant experience. Grey/dark grey is just too boring.

Why cant you add some color to the bars like the grey/red I use now. Its simple looking but it gives the main page definition.
Paint_hore is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyNews Ups

Paintball News Rules
  1. No Upping threads. If you have something to say, please do, but don't post in the thread just to take it to the top of the forum.
  2. Do not post "1st post", "1st", "First post" or anything similar (or with any other number) at any point in a thread, even if you post a comment too. It is really annoying and it will result in a ban.
  3. If you don't like something, say why instead of just calling it ugly, lame, gay or any other name. If it is old, simply post a link or report the post with a link to the older News thread.
  4. Please don't post links for places to buy items. That encourages stores, sponsored players and other people to do it and spam the site.
If you have questions, please post them in the Talk to Mods/Admins forum.