Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 10-12-2008, 10:14 PM #1
bigredbrave

possible to over-workout

I was wondering if it's unhealthy to work out 2-3 times a day for 4-5 days a week with a minimum of 45 minutes. I do both weightlifting and cardio.
bigredbrave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 10-12-2008, 10:17 PM #2
E-M-P-I-R-E

has been a member for 10 years
yes

It is fine to workout for an hour and then later do cardio for an hour.....but dont lift weights 2-3 times a day
E-M-P-I-R-E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 10:21 PM #3
undirected (Banned)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigredbrave View Post
I was wondering if it's unhealthy to work out 2-3 times a day for 4-5 days a week with a minimum of 45 minutes. I do both weightlifting and cardio.
It is arguably as unhealthy for you to "work out" (what does this mean, weight train?) 2-3 times a day as it is for you to not "work out" at all

Your body needs time to recover, otherwise you won't make any lasting gains. Without allowing at least 24 hours in between lifting sessions (at least for the same major muscle groups) you won't allow the muscles to actually grow, which will effectively negate whatever results you might have had from the effort you put into lifting weights in the first place. Not to mention the fact that you will almost certainly tear a muscle or several muscles if you work out at that pace and are actually challenging yourself...

you need to do some research
undirected is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 10:21 PM #4
flarkey25
Raging Weasel

Proper rest is probably more important than working out... Abnormal sleep schedules and in adequate sleep are well known causes of increased body-fat and weakened immune system function.
8 hours, as many before midnight as possible.

Over working isn't a good idea. Take at least 2-3 days off from intense activity a week. Low intensity cardio is alright to do pretty much every day as long as you don't over-do it. Keep it to 30-45 minutes.
flarkey25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 10:25 PM #5
bigredbrave

well what i do is every couple of days, my friend and I ride our bikes to the gym and do 45 minutes of cardio before school. Then 5th period, every day, i have fitness and we do 60-95% of our maxes for weight lifting, then to end the day i do some more weightlifting at the gym at 7 or so for 1 hour. Every day i do a couple new major muscle groups alternating every 3 days.
Old 10-12-2008, 10:27 PM #6
E-M-P-I-R-E

yeah um......lifting weights 3 times a day is not going to give you gains ANY faster than just hitting them really good once a day.
Old 10-12-2008, 10:28 PM #7
undirected (Banned)

Quote:
well what i do is every couple of days, my friend and I ride our bikes to the gym and do 45 minutes of cardio before school. Then 5th period, every day, i have fitness and we do 60-95% of our maxes for weight lifting, then to end the day i do some more weightlifting at the gym at 7 or so for 1 hour.
When you are in fitness class are you doing full body workouts every day or are you splitting muscle groups into different days? If you're doing the former, you're going to hurt yourself and your teacher/coach should be fired for being incompetent. If you're doing the latter, you're probably fine so long as you're getting proper rest and nutrition and just generally being careful with your lifting...i.e. not jumping in cold and trying to max, not stretching beforehand (stretching after a light warmup is okay...), etc.

I work the same muscle group splits (but with different exercises) every other day, but some people are gifted with better recovery time than me or worse so it's really up to you to find out. the fact that you think that you're making any gains at all by lifting weights 2-3 times a day leads me to believe that you need to stop posting on here and spend at least an hour or two searching on google, or on a good site (bodybuilding.com is a good resource)
Old 10-12-2008, 10:31 PM #8
bigredbrave

well that is what happens when the fitnss coach is also the head varsity football
coach. BTW I get an average of 6.5 hours of sleep a night and havn't gotten sick excluding colds for at least 7 years, and i don't work out on the weekends
Old 10-12-2008, 10:33 PM #9
undirected (Banned)

Quote:
well that is what happens when the fitnss coach is also the head varsity football
coach. BTW I get an average of 6.5 hours of sleep a night and havn't gotten sick excluding colds for at least 7 years, and i don't work out on the weekends
Are you or are you not working the same muscle groups every day in a row? If you are, and your teacher is allowing you or encouraging you to do this, he is a ****ing idiot
Old 10-12-2008, 10:36 PM #10
bigredbrave

he doesn't know, and i do a new set of muscle groups every 3 days in and out of class, and i rarely get sore so i figure it can't be that bad (yet)
Old 10-12-2008, 10:38 PM #11
undirected (Banned)

Quote:
he doesn't know, and i do a new set of muscle groups every 3 days in and out of class, and i rarely get sore
So you ARE working the same muscle groups for more than one day in a row?

Did you just make this thread for us to tell you why you're wrong and for you to continue to do the stupid **** you're doing, or are you actually going to get off your ***, do some research, and stop doing pointless crap that isn't helping you at all and will hurt you eventually?
Old 10-13-2008, 12:52 PM #12
Turb0 Negr0
golfwang

You could do it two times a day, but thats only after you put in some good research and find a GOOD program. After all Arnold did that
Turb0 Negr0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 12:55 PM #13
E-M-P-I-R-E

i agree with the negro
Old 10-13-2008, 12:58 PM #14
Featherlite 07
straight cash homie

Featherlite 07 is playing at Living Legends III
Featherlite 07 is one of the top 25 posters on PbNation
I thought I have heard that Arnold used to work out twice a day though. Is this true?
Old 10-13-2008, 01:11 PM #15
undirected (Banned)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turb0 Negr0 View Post
You could do it two times a day, but thats only after you put in some good research and find a GOOD program. After all Arnold did that
that depends a lot on individual biochemistry, you can't say that just by finding a good program ANYONE can work the same muscle groups twice daily...Arnold is a freak of nature
Old 10-13-2008, 01:23 PM #16
E-M-P-I-R-E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Featherlite 07 View Post
I thought I have heard that Arnold used to work out twice a day though. Is this true?
He did.................. but he also ate 5X as much as most people here, was a genetic freak, and was at times packing more gear than NASA.
Old 10-13-2008, 05:22 PM #17
karnavorrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-M-P-I-R-E View Post
He did.................. but he also ate 5X as much as most people here, was a genetic freak, and was at times packing more gear than NASA.
Don't forget he smoked weed and experienced orgasms when doing bicep curls.

Each time he got through, he was told he needed to give a street address before an ambulance could be sent. "
karnavorrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 05:35 PM #18
E-M-P-I-R-E

Quote:
Originally Posted by karnavorrr View Post
Don't forget he smoked weed and experienced orgasms when doing bicep curls.

lol yeah "im cumming day and night"

he literally says cuming like 15 times

Last edited by E-M-P-I-R-E : 10-13-2008 at 05:40 PM.
Old 10-13-2008, 06:00 PM #19
sean1994

its called over training,

2-3 times a day is not nessacary, if your talkin bout lifting,

get a good split and stick with it,

or do riptoes or somthing,,,

but 5 days a week 3 times a day, is waaay to much IMO
sean1994 is offline   Reply With Quote