Old 04-11-2012, 07:20 PM #127
azhector

azhector is playing at Living Legends VI
azhector owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
azhector has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
azhector is a top reviewer
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nwyka View Post
Well, I am seventeen. Started playing when I was 12. Parents never bought me ANYTHING! Okay, well, I did get a pair of Viewloader pods for Christmas one year, but as for guns, parts, gear, masks, and barrels, I've paid my way in full...which is why I'm still playing with the Viewloader Triton II I bought at age 12. Of course, I have other guns, but nothing is worth over $300! I think any kid under the age of sixteen with any kind of high-end gun either got it from mommy and daddy, or they got $1000 in Christmas money. Through my six years of playing, I've scraped and saved and dropped around $960 on paint, air, and gear. In six years! That's $160 a year, which isn't real hard to come by for a 12-year-old with any kind of allowance. That's about $4 a week income, which also isn't too bad for someone with any kind of way to earn money. Anyone under sixteen with over $1000 in gear is either doing something illegal, or is spoiled.
Noah
PS: Yes, I know that the difference between twelve and seventeen is not five. Started playing in the winter, and my birthday is in January. Started playing after turning 12.
i couldve bought a brand new set for everything and im 15... its just that i worked my *** off over the summer and id rather not burn it all on paintball things i dont NEED. i dropped maybe 500 on gear (new mask/gun, used tank/hopper, new jersey/pants/pads then another set-up for my dad/me) and put the rest away, but sold all my old gear for a good bit of that money back
Advertisement
Old 04-12-2012, 12:53 AM #128
SicEmBaylor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nwyka View Post
Well, I am seventeen. Started playing when I was 12. Parents never bought me ANYTHING! Okay, well, I did get a pair of Viewloader pods for Christmas one year, but as for guns, parts, gear, masks, and barrels, I've paid my way in full...which is why I'm still playing with the Viewloader Triton II I bought at age 12. Of course, I have other guns, but nothing is worth over $300! I think any kid under the age of sixteen with any kind of high-end gun either got it from mommy and daddy, or they got $1000 in Christmas money. Through my six years of playing, I've scraped and saved and dropped around $960 on paint, air, and gear. In six years! That's $160 a year, which isn't real hard to come by for a 12-year-old with any kind of allowance. That's about $4 a week income, which also isn't too bad for someone with any kind of way to earn money. Anyone under sixteen with over $1000 in gear is either doing something illegal, or is spoiled.
Noah
PS: Yes, I know that the difference between twelve and seventeen is not five. Started playing in the winter, and my birthday is in January. Started playing after turning 12.
Even if your parents did buy all your gear, you should never ever be ashamed or have to apologize for that fact. Be proud that your parents are able to provide for your recreational and/or athletic pursuits and hobbies. There is absolutely NOTHING wrong with that whatsoever.

HOWEVER, that does not excuse some kid whose parents also neglected to teach them manners and respect which is to say that if you go out and make fun of some kid with a JT while wielding a Bog Long then you're nothing more than a douchebag.
SicEmBaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 07:36 AM #129
Derppen like a Baws

.. is playing at Living Legends V
.. owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
.. supports Pev's Paintball
.. has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Im 16 and both my setups together are +1000$ not retail or msrp, you dont have to be spoiled or have help from your parents to afford your own gear. I started earning money working for the family buisness, and no that does not mean i was overpaid for my work. Turned that into my first gun a few years ago and just continued to trade from then on, trading is an easy way to make money so long as you know what your doing and in these recent times always cover yourself incase you bump into the bad apple.
.. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 11:24 AM #130
HubbyDubby
Don't Get Mad, Get Better

Annual Supporting Member
HubbyDubby owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
HubbyDubby plays in the APPA beginner division
HubbyDubby owns a Planet Eclipse GSL
probably from allowances or money given to them from their family/relatives.
HubbyDubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 02:17 PM #131
MenosDaBear

MenosDaBear owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
I had a $1000+ setup when I was 16 without any direct help from my parents. I started with a spyder SE as a christmas gift when i was 12-13. I would save money each year from odd jobs, birthday, xmas, and in the off season, sell my gun and buy a slightly nicer gun with that money and the supplemental money I had saved. A few years, and several guns later, I was shooting a very nice Angel LCD setup without straight up asking my parents for any cash. There are definitely "spoiled" kids whos parents buy them whatever they want, but that isn't the only way to nicely equip yourself.
MenosDaBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 04:36 PM #132
pembo0630
Mizzou

pembo0630 is playing at Living Legends V
pembo0630 is playing at Living Legends VI
pembo0630 has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
pembo0630 is a top reviewer
Many hobbies that are friendly to kids are also free; playing the piano, picking up a guitar, outdoor hobbies such as fishing and camping... Paintball is, at its core, an adult sport, even if by the simple virtue that it is quite expensive to play. It is a great team-building effort that is fun for youth and good for them as well. Unfortunately, the cost demands a source of some kind of income. I believe that kids who work for their parents money (i.e chores) and save up to buy equipment are excellent role models for others. Paintball encourages people to get out there and work, even if it's just for your parents.

16 is old enough to work. A steady income is essential to play the game the way it was meant to be and as much as you would like. High school is a great time to save up for things because you don't have any bills to pay on your own and most of the money you make can go directly towards things you like. From a broke college kid; enjoy it while it lasts.

For me, getting my Eagle scout and graduating high school brought in boo-koo bucks. I actually opened up my first checking account a day before graduation...it was a good idea I did.

Last edited by pembo0630 : 05-12-2012 at 04:40 PM.
pembo0630 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 06:53 PM #133
paintball4le

its pretty simple, get a job.
paintball4le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 08:55 AM #134
azhector

azhector is playing at Living Legends VI
azhector owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
azhector has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
azhector is a top reviewer
can we stop bumping this thread? its been beaten to death on how they can
Old 05-13-2012, 09:55 PM #135
evilbunnycookies
U of Akron

evilbunnycookies is an NCPA player
evilbunnycookies plays in the APPA D5 division
evilbunnycookies has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
evilbunnycookies has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by azhector View Post
can we stop bumping this thread? its been beaten to death on how they can
I guess some people just don't understand when something should be put to rest, it seems in life people often do not do what should be done even if that thing is simple, just like a lot of people do not seem to pony up when pics or shens is called. Life truly is a roller coaster ride

DM8 with a tadao oled board, ironman adjustable trigger, billy wing bolt and a cp continuous flow plug
http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=3778711
deadly winds freak carbon fiber barrel, Rotor, 68-45 Ninja tank
PayPal certified

University of Akron Paintball Club -- Treasurer
evilbunnycookies is offline   Reply With Quote