PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 11-19-2012, 09:36 PM #1
Horizon

has been a member for 10 years
Free Paint - Hypothetical Question

We have threads asking how much paint people shoot, but I wanted to pose a hypothetical question. This would probably never happen, but it would be fun to speculate.

If you went to your local field and they charged you $20 for field fees and all day air and the field supplied an unlimited amount of paintballs to everyone for free (I realize this would never happen in reality), how many paintballs do you think you would shoot in a day of rec play (knowing that the paint is free for everyone else you will be playing with and against as well)? You can't take any home though. They must be shot at the field that day. No restrictions on rate of fire either.
Horizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 11-19-2012, 10:18 PM #2
universal_dave
TIP#001

universal_dave is playing at Living Legends VIII
universal_dave owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
universal_dave owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
universal_dave has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
universal_dave has perfected Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
universal_dave owns a Planet Eclipse GSL
It's fun to think about shooting cases and cases of paint....but honestly, most days I shoot about a case of paint and I don't think I'd shoot a lot more than that. Price pretty much isn't an issue for me already, so I don't imagine that "free" would necessarily change things for me so much unless the free paint all around changed the nature of play so much that my play style really changed....and I can't really envision that to predict it very well.

Tim2Thousand4 is shady, his word doesn't mean anything. If you had a good experience with him, my opinion is that you got lucky.

GSL | CSL | SLS | SL8R | VCom | G6r | Insight | Victus | Lance #1
universal_dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 10:28 PM #3
ShoopDaWhoop900

ShoopDaWhoop900 owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
ShoopDaWhoop900 plays in the APPA D5 division
ShoopDaWhoop900 supports DLX Technology
ShoopDaWhoop900 supports Ninja Paintball
I probably would still only shoot about a case of paint. People who buy tons of boxes of paint for cheap and just spray all day make the game a lot less fun to play. I prefer taking a bit more time to try and hit your target, but still being able to keep their heads down if need be.
ShoopDaWhoop900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 10:53 PM #4
Christian P
UWL and Scenario

Christian P is playing at Living Legends VI
Christian P is playing at Living Legends VII
 is playing at Living Legends XI
Christian P is attending Decay of Nations VII
I'd still shot 1 case, maybe 2 if I played hyper ball all day. Woodsball I'd shoot less.
Christian P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 10:59 PM #5
tvise
USPN Hollister CA

tvise owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
tvise owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
tvise posts videos on PbNation
tvise has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
When I play I like to kick back and just hang out...

I usually shoot about half a case... I get free paint so I shoot what I want... and really no restrictions...

besides this when I play i just have fun...

Although I did go through 5 bags yesterday.
Old 11-19-2012, 11:07 PM #6
2nwyka
A Lover and a Poet

2nwyka posts videos on PbNation
2nwyka has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
2nwyka supports Ninja Paintball
I don't know...maybe a couple bags to a case. Nothing over that, there's just no need. I have to be really rocking to shoot more than 1500 rounds in a six-hour rec day.
Noah

AutoCocker Builder
2nwyka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 11:45 PM #7
Horizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvise View Post
When I play I like to kick back and just hang out...

I usually shoot about half a case... I get free paint so I shoot what I want... and really no restrictions...
OK, but now everyone else is also getting free paint. What if they are all shooting 5 or 10 cases each? Would you still be shooting your half case while they are shooting 10 or 20 times as much each?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvise View Post
Although I did go through 5 bags yesterday.
Why the difference yesterday?
Old 11-19-2012, 11:56 PM #8
Fubarius
Wow, it is blue.

Fubarius is a Moderator
Fubarius supports our troops
This thread is an interesting contrast to this other thread...
https://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=3897048
...where people seem to think just "one" case is holding back and being conservative.

Let's all be honest, paint as free as air, we'd be blowing through it like crazy. You chrono your gun, it's not 3 to 10 shots, it's "let's blow a couple hoppers worth at the target range". Top off a hopper between game and have half a pod left? Pour that out on the ground so it's not rattling in your pack. Lose half a pod when filling on the field? Who cares. Heck, if you have a few pods that have sat in your pack after a few games you might as well throw that stuff out since it's probably gotten dimpled. (true story, a friend of mine got to play with the old PMI factory team with a full paint sponsorship, they were told to dump out and throw away any paint that had sat in a pod for more than 3 games)

When I could get paint at cost I could easily go through 2 cases against players who get the same deal. At free I'd say double that, only because you reach a theoretical maximum on what you can shoot or carry.

Nunquam emere possis quae facitis
Fubarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 11:57 PM #9
ElJefe13

ElJefe13 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
ElJefe13 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
ElJefe13 supports Ninja Paintball
ElJefe13 supports Empire
The first time my field did that, I wouldn't even aim, id just keep firing. I'd go akimbo with one gun in each hand. I'd bring 7+ pods onto the field. Heck, I'd bring a backpack, put an extra tank in there, and stuff that with pods. I'd shoot 6,000 rounds on one game. Then I'd stop going there because there'd be way too many idiots like me just spraying everything that moves. It'd be fun to do once, though.
ElJefe13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 12:01 AM #10
Horizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fubarius View Post
This thread is an interesting contrast to this other thread...
https://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=3897048
...where people seem to think just "one" case is holding back and being conservative.

Let's all be honest, paint as free as air, we'd be blowing through it like crazy. You chrono your gun, it's not 3 to 10 shots, it's "let's blow a couple hoppers worth at the target range". Top off a hopper between game and have half a pod left? Pour that out on the ground so it's not rattling in your pack. Lose half a pod when filling on the field? Who cares. Heck, if you have a few pods that have sat in your pack after a few games you might as well throw that stuff out since it's probably gotten dimpled. (true story, a friend of mine got to play with the old PMI factory team with a full paint sponsorship, they were told to dump out and throw away any paint that had sat in a pod for more than 3 games)

When I could get paint at cost I could easily go through 2 cases against players who get the same deal. At free I'd say double that, only because you reach a theoretical maximum on what you can shoot or carry.
Yeah. I think most of the people that have answered so far are trying to be politically correct. They are probably the same people who would tell us that if they won $10 million in a lottery they would keep working at their jobs.
Old 11-20-2012, 12:18 AM #11
VSportsGuy

VSportsGuy owns a Planet Eclipse - M170r
VSportsGuy supports DLX Technology
I'm pretty sure I would try to shoot my gun dry just about every game. The limiting factor would be efficiency and I would put my gun to the test. I'd sure as hell be at the field all day too. I bet I could shoot 6-10 cases.

Old Feedback
VSportsGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 12:40 AM #12
JohnSherman
Decade of ****posting

I would take this out. Probably go through a pallet or so.
JohnSherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 06:28 AM #13
SNAKESNIPER (Banned)

I'd probably shoot a BIT more, but not a whole lot. I usually shoot about 3/4 of a case to a whole case. Maybe I'd shoot another bag or two if paint was free.
SNAKESNIPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 06:47 AM #14
Nahib_Stilgar

Oh fun I would do it once just for the shear fun of shooting that much! I could probably reach a case and a half maybe two using AT the whole day! I guess I would have to buy a hopper and borrow a pod pack and pods though. Lol.

Then I would never go back.
Nahib_Stilgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 07:03 AM #15
Gyvanth
That Awkward Guy

Gyvanth has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Gyvanth has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Gyvanth has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
It would be fun for one game or so, but that much paint would kill tactics. Why move up or use tactics if you can just sit back and spray all day long? Why would you move up if the people you are playing against are throwing down a wall of paint?
Gyvanth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 07:21 AM #16
loneassassin
A Grim and...

I would keep the trigger rolling and do run-throughs all day. I know myself.

My halfblocked Trilogy pump:
http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/b...6/P3250486.jpg
loneassassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 09:13 AM #17
byarosh201

No ROF limit. At least semi. Ramping with unlimited paint? Agglets will have a field day.

I probably wouldn't shoot much more than I usually do which is a half-3/4 a case. And shooting that much I basically force myself to throw that much down because its older paint from my last outing.

As to the lottery. I'd keep working just to be a pain in the balls.
byarosh201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 09:22 AM #18
ElJefe13

ElJefe13 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
ElJefe13 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
ElJefe13 supports Ninja Paintball
ElJefe13 supports Empire
If I won the lottery I'd still keep going to work and screw everything up because the boss can't fire me.
ElJefe13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 02:01 PM #19
tonycon
Knuckleheads Paintball

tonycon owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
tonycon supports our troops
tonycon is Legendary
tonycon owns a Planet Eclipse GSL
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElJefe13
If I won the lottery I'd still keep going to work and screw everything up because the boss can't fire me.
Just cause you won the lottery doesn't mean you can't be fired...just means it won't matter if you get fired. Lol

On the other hand I would probably shoot more...I generally go through a case when I play all day...another case or two would be fun just to walk the trigger all day long and not care how much it cost. It would eventually get boring tho.

Proudly Sponsored By: Valken Paintball

KnuckleHeads Paintball Team
Game footage
tonycon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 02:14 PM #20
Danny96211

Danny96211 posts videos on PbNation
Danny96211 supports Empire
i would easily shoot two cases of paint if it were free. I have a gog envy so i am a little trigger happy, especially since ive been using mechs all my life before i bought it. I always make a case of paint last me a whole day of rec play, so if i had unlimited paint, i would definitely shoot alot more!
Danny96211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 02:20 PM #21
KYhillbilly

KYhillbilly owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
KYhillbilly has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
I play at a field with alot of new players who dont have pods and most of them seem to go through a hopper of paint every game anyway just shooting downfield so it wouldnt change much for them.

It would depend on who I was playing with how much I shot. Against new players I would still take it slow.
KYhillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote