Find fields and stores
Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 08-03-2012, 10:39 PM #22
gozilla594

im not a store owner of shop owner i just play..
so here is my thing with paintball yes it is costly.
i have my 10 year old that got me back into paintball and in return i got my girlfriend into it.
i play xball\speedball they play recball. with all 3 of us we can go threw 3-5 cases of paint easy pending on how we play. price is a big thing and we all look for deals that is just built into all of us. i use to live in san jose and at my local store they have a deal if you buy 2 cases of paint you get $5.00 off each case. not bad if i save $10 bucks that 10dollars i can put tords air.
now i live in tracy the local modesto shop has a deal with each case you purchase at the store you get a free all day hpa air ticket or 1 co2 fill. this is good because it brings people into your store not only for the paint and air deal but now people can see what you have in your store. not only that it gets them to your field since you handed them the free air ticket its a win win for both the store owner and the consumer. so if i buy 4 cases and you handed me 4 free air tickets you just saved me almost $40.00 in all day air in my mind thats another case of paint i can buy.stuff like that keeps me coming back. another thing is the price of paint cant be more then the quality of paint.i have noticed some
$40-$45 paint fill sucks so i can see why people use walmart jt paint if it stands out not only that the price is better matched for the paint. i dont like the feeling of shooting people but i cant see were it breaks on them due to the fill being to water\oily and it just runs off. i see that a lot with yellow fill the most. but some times the fill wont matter to the first timers.but then again you dont want the first timers to feel like that they cant afford the paint from your store that makes them run of to walmart or other big chain stores for cheaper paint.we all know that this sport is the most expencive sport ranging from $60-100 each time you go out and play.thats where you have team member drop out due to they cant afford paint any more. paintball will never be a cheap sport but try to make it easyer on the wallets that will help people coming back making them feel like they got a deal..
gozilla594 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 08-05-2012, 02:32 AM #23
GetBunkerD
LurkerPB.com

GetBunkerD is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
GetBunkerD posts videos on PbNation
GetBunkerD supports Ninja Paintball
When I use to help run Ballers Inc in Fairless Hills Pa, there were LOTS of outlaw ballers around...

We did Free Fill Fridays.. We gave 2 free fills if you bought a case of paint on Friday. That drove in the outlaw ballers dozens at a time. Or if they bought 5 cases or more, they got a card for 10 free fills.

We also educated our customers about how paintball's at our store are always fresh and never sit in the big box stores. Once we drill it into their minds that the paint they purchase from those places don't help further the paintball industry and don't help us as a local business, in addition to it sitting and having the possibilities of buying bad paint 8 out of 10 times, they start to purchase paint from us.

We also partnered with a field about 30 minutes from us. Buy a case of paint, get a free pass to use at that field another time.
Old 10-24-2012, 10:35 AM #24
Variety Army

Well, it's the Law of Supply and Demand. If you happen to have a Business Calculus book it can help you figure out the right price (I'm not trying to be rude), just letting you know that there is a formula that helps you get your answer. I cannot remember right now what it is; otherwise, I would have given it to you. Good luck
Variety Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 08:45 AM #25
TeacherCreature

Walmart carries stinger for like $29 a case that is what cheap *** outlawers buy.

I like the idea of air with paint since walmart doesnt fill tanks anymore.

What we just did was find the organizer of outlaw games (on facebook) and we hooked him up with a small commission for bringing his group to us, and it made a difference and now they all come cause of him.
TeacherCreature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 12:15 AM #26
bolt53

bolt53 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Im not a field owner nor do i plan on it. I was an outlaw paintballer if thTs what you want to call it. I live about 5 minutes away feom Top Gun in jackson and will never step foot thier. They charge you admission fee and $80 for a case of paint. This is why we play on our own land of 37 acres. But now recently we are starting to go fields like allstar is a half hour away its byop friday 20$ admission or $50 for Admission and balls. Also the outdoor area by us now offer $159 for a season pass unlimited air no entry fees for the year. How could i refuse that? I play there saturday then go to our property sundays with fresh tanks and balls from te field. Hope this helps you im in school for business admin and marketing thats why i replied i always watch this section. Any questions pm me
bolt53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 12:23 AM #27
bolt53

bolt53 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
We run a 25-30 man game we do woodsball capture te flag and do 5 v5 speedball. We go to our shop to buy balls because he give us so much off what we use and throws us air fills and fixs our guns for free if it isnt expensive fixes. So we go to him not our fields for that reason too. Abd if you google jackson theres about 5 fields around us in a 15 mile radius
bolt53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 04:01 PM #28
MstrKey

MstrKey is a founding member
MstrKey is for the Gunfight
MstrKey supports our troops
outstore sales

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatSplat View Post
Hate to say it... but the other choice... don't bother.

If it means giving away product cheap, that will affect the profits made from other customers, then you might be better off spending your time trying to maximize the profits from customers that want to spend money with you instead of spending time, money and resources chasing pennies from people that will never be profitable customers.

But that is the call you have to make...
I agree with gatsplat. Most of this variety of "outlaw ballers" are penny pinchers for one reason or another. Trying to cater to people who have no money(or who are just cheap) is usually a no win situation in any market, not just paintball. The best thing you can do is maybe offer some paint sales here and there. The first monday of every month(or on a slow day). That may get them in the door. Offering the seconds may also work but probably not.

What are you store hours like? A lot of outlaw guys throw games together quick and just go to retail stores because they're open all hours of the day.

In my experience though, it's probably a no win situation. Usually you can bend over backwards for those guys and they won't care. They just want to remain secluded in their own little groups. Which is fine. Your only hope is maybe attracting some of the less anti social players who are looking for a good deal, and in the end the time and money invested may not justify the returns.
Old 12-03-2012, 04:41 PM #29
PBA philip
axeman

PBA philip has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
PBA philip has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatSplat View Post
gas incentive maybe?? But a case of paint, get free air, or co2 fill?? Outlaw players may like that...
this is a pretty good idea because players who buys paint in store will probably go out and play in the wood our in their backyard and they wont, for the most part, bring scuba tanks with them
PBA philip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 08:08 PM #30
7paintball
Service at its best.

7paintball owns a Planet Eclipse Gtek
7paintball supports Ninja Paintball
It's one reason we have started to partner with local fields to sell their paint. It's a win win for me and the local fields.
Lockport, IL 60441
(815) 588-1777

We always offer discounts to the Military, Police and Fire Departments.
7paintball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 12:30 PM #31
krlafont

krlafont owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
krlafont has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by MstrKey View Post
I agree with gatsplat. Most of this variety of "outlaw ballers" are penny pinchers for one reason or another. Trying to cater to people who have no money(or who are just cheap) is usually a no win situation in any market, not just paintball. The best thing you can do is maybe offer some paint sales here and there. The first monday of every month(or on a slow day). That may get them in the door. Offering the seconds may also work but probably not.

What are you store hours like? A lot of outlaw guys throw games together quick and just go to retail stores because they're open all hours of the day.

In my experience though, it's probably a no win situation. Usually you can bend over backwards for those guys and they won't care. They just want to remain secluded in their own little groups. Which is fine. Your only hope is maybe attracting some of the less anti social players who are looking for a good deal, and in the end the time and money invested may not justify the returns.
I do not agree with this… I play mostly rec/outlaw ball. I play mostly outlaw because I do not want to deal with the 16 year old kids bragging about how good they are, bla bla bla.. I have played at the local field, indoors, but I still enjoy playing in the woods with my friends best.

Best advice I can give… Show interest in all customers (not just the ones who play at you’re field).
Ask questions.
Ask what gun they shoot.
Ask where they play.

Talk paintball, show them guns, show them the differences with paint, encourage them to play at you’re field when they have a chance. Throw in a free air fill when buy paint, or couple of pods when they buy a gun. The gesture goes a long way. The guys that organize these games will refer their friends. They will buy paint for their friends (and collect money when they play). Encourage them to buy quality paint. And if they buy bulk for the game, you will give them a discount..

I play rec ball, but I also have a good job and intend to buy a new geo3 in 2 weeks (do not just assume people do not have enough money)
krlafont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 10:17 PM #32
MstrKey

Quote:
Originally Posted by krlafont View Post
I do not agree with this… I play mostly rec/outlaw ball. I play mostly outlaw because I do not want to deal with the 16 year old kids bragging about how good they are, bla bla bla.. I have played at the local field, indoors, but I still enjoy playing in the woods with my friends best.

Best advice I can give… Show interest in all customers (not just the ones who play at you’re field).
Ask questions.
Ask what gun they shoot.
Ask where they play.

Talk paintball, show them guns, show them the differences with paint, encourage them to play at you’re field when they have a chance. Throw in a free air fill when buy paint, or couple of pods when they buy a gun. The gesture goes a long way. The guys that organize these games will refer their friends. They will buy paint for their friends (and collect money when they play). Encourage them to buy quality paint. And if they buy bulk for the game, you will give them a discount..

I play rec ball, but I also have a good job and intend to buy a new geo3 in 2 weeks (do not just assume people do not have enough money)
I didn't assume they didn't have the money. I said they were just too cheap to spend the extra couple bucks at pro shops for financial or other reasons. If that's their choice all the power to them. In my experience there is little you can do to win those people over.

Which, is sad actually. Part of the paintball experience is the people you meet and friendships that evolve along the way. When you stick in little groups of your own..........you lose a lot of that experience(even with bragging 16 year olds). Not to mention it gets boring and predictable with the same people all the time.

That brings an idea to mind. How about along with a cool sale you have a social meet and greet at the pro shop? Coffee, donuts...name tags at the door. Come one come all type of thing? Guys can sit around, swap stories....maybe have some videos playing in the background, target shoot for bragging rights........something like that?
Old 12-06-2012, 04:26 AM #33
steve_81
Paintballing since 1996

steve_81 is reppin' sidebar 4 life
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desperado_Ghost View Post

#1: Level with your customers. Relate to them and try to see things from their perspective, then talk to them like you are going to be playing alongside them.
Something simple but given that your Outlaw/Rec player base is woodsball players don't cater your storefront strictly to the speedball atmosphere. Put up a few UWL posters, carry some tactical gear, etc. It will make the players feel more "at home" and more likely to come back because you not only offer something they need but they are surrounded by something that caters to their interests...just my two cents.
steve_81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 12:56 PM #34
MstrKey

stores

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_81 View Post
Something simple but given that your Outlaw/Rec player base is woodsball players don't cater your storefront strictly to the speedball atmosphere. Put up a few UWL posters, carry some tactical gear, etc. It will make the players feel more "at home" and more likely to come back because you not only offer something they need but they are surrounded by something that caters to their interests...just my two cents.
Most of the best shops I've been to in the past have three sections. Speedball, rec/scenario and in the middle a sort of grey area with accessories common to both. Some even have airsoft sections as well. I always found that to be a good idea. Let's face it the speedball market is much smaller than the recball market. If you don't cater to both you're tossing money down the drain.