PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Closed Thread

Old 12-10-2013, 06:03 PM #1
Creature19

need help with better wifi signal!

Hey guys I'm terrible when it comes to anything techy. I recently moved into to a rented out inlaw apartment and I'm sharing the guys WiFi but it's HORRIBLE.... I tried playing BF4 and getting kicked. The room with the tv and ps3 doesn't have an Ethernet cord either so is there any possible way I could increase the signal from my apartment???
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 12-10-2013, 06:24 PM #2
DayoftheGreek
I hate you

has been a member for 10 years
If you are terrible with techy things, this might be a learning experience for you.

First of all, are you sure the wifi is bad, and not just the whole internet connection? Are you on comcast, verizon, or someone else? Run speedtest.net on multiple devices in the house and post the results. Is literally an apartment, or like an inlaw suite attached to a house?

1/30/08: I was there when the plane flew but everyone was still stupid.
Old 12-10-2013, 06:55 PM #3
Creature19

It says the signal is at 40% on my network settings on ps3... Its an inlaw apartment but attatched to the house.
Old 12-10-2013, 07:49 PM #4
Murph1329

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creature19 View Post
It says the signal is at 40% on my network settings on ps3... Its an inlaw apartment but attatched to the house.
try different channels. You should be able to find a free wifi monitor app for you phone to find a good open one with not much around it.

If that doesn't work you can always try lowering the multicast rate.

Also how far is your ps3 away from the router and how many things do you have in this space running on 2.4ghz?

I had some new neighbors move in that put up an access point in what seems like every room in the house. It pretty much killed the signal for everyone around them which forced me to put up an access point at the rear of my house. I just ran some cat5 through the attic to the laundry room and hooked it up....problem solved.

If you don't have the know how to do that you can always invest in a powerline adapter
ANS Jackhammer | Rex Kit
STO RAM | Air America Black Ice | Shocktech LPC
pic
Forum defeat is admitted when one resorts to grammatical insults -me
We all live with a mark of sin, no man's is greater than another's in his own mind. -me

Last edited by Murph1329 : 12-10-2013 at 07:52 PM.
Old 12-11-2013, 09:04 AM #5
Mustang7302
has been here too long

Mustang7302 is a founding member
Mustang7302 has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
I had issues getting enough bandwidth from my office upstairs to my PS3 in the living room down stairs to stream 1080P content. Before I went through the effort of running a CAT-5E cable through the house, I thought I would try some power line Ethernet adapters.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This gave me enough bandwidth to 1080P content without buffering, which is exactly what I could ask of it. It provided about 80 megabits of data through the electrical wiring in the house, despite the claimed 200 or 500mb speeds. Reguardless it works for what I needed it to do.

"Originally posted by Volucris: Computers are tools. Man is separated by how well he chooses his tool."

"Originally posted by Rebeltilldeath3: We went from Allan Sheppard, Gus Grissom, Neil Armstrong, and Buzz Aldrin to Charlie Sheen, Lindsay Lohan, and Snooki."
Old 12-12-2013, 05:16 PM #6
Creature19

The inlaw side is seperated by a bedroom but the doors are locked I'm not sure where his router is located. But when I go to network settings it says I have 45% for signal strength. My question is ( and this May sound dumb ) but can I buy my own router and still use his WiFi??
Old 12-12-2013, 05:54 PM #7
Murph1329

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creature19 View Post
The inlaw side is seperated by a bedroom but the doors are locked I'm not sure where his router is located. But when I go to network settings it says I have 45% for signal strength. My question is ( and this May sound dumb ) but can I buy my own router and still use his WiFi??
maybe

you might be able to set your router up as a wireless access point. i don't have the memory to answer these types of questions off the cuff. It would require some research knowing the type of router your connecting to and having admin access to the router and the type of router you have.

Sometimes this type of setup requires dd-wrt

it would probably be cheaper and less stressful just to get powerline at this point....oh and pick the lock to plug it in....
I'm assuming you're in some sort of S&M basement..good luck!
ANS Jackhammer | Rex Kit
STO RAM | Air America Black Ice | Shocktech LPC
pic
Forum defeat is admitted when one resorts to grammatical insults -me
We all live with a mark of sin, no man's is greater than another's in his own mind. -me

Last edited by Murph1329 : 12-12-2013 at 06:09 PM.
Old 03-12-2014, 12:09 PM #8
kbreck

kbreck is playing at Living Legends VII
kbreck owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
If you end up going with a power line Ethernet adapter remember that they have to be on the same circuit breaker. Also you could buy a new router that has a better range I recommend any of the AMped Wireless router as the have a very big range and there signal pass through walls without to much signal degradation. Also do you know if the wifi router that you are using is a single or duel channels or if you wifi adapter is a single or duel channel reserve? If your router is a duel channel but your adapter is only a single channel then you might want to upgrade your adapter to see the high single channel as they run at 5g which is a faster transmission speed.
Old 03-18-2014, 11:17 AM #9
martin201

some routers have special PS3/4 and xbox settings.. Google your model with your console.
Old 04-23-2014, 08:05 AM #10
diesel47

diesel47 owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
You sure its not just terrible internet?

The signal could be fine but if you have ****ty speed then it doesn't matter.
Old 04-23-2014, 09:44 AM #11
Promagistrate
such motto

Promagistrate owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Promagistrate has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Promagistrate has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Promagistrate supports DLX Technology
lEwl wat
wat
wat
Dontcallmepete: "Tell me somefin, hows no hammer to make bolts bolt better than a wrench bolts bolt? "
Old 05-03-2014, 01:15 AM #12
kingcatnip

kingcatnip owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
kingcatnip owns a Planet Eclipse GSL
You could use a second router as a bridge/ second access point but this would require some configuration through the admin settings. I try and hard wire everything where possible.
Old 08-18-2014, 01:21 AM #13
AceLogan

You probably already have this resolved, but this is my area of expertise! You have a couple of solutions here.

1.) Wire via Ethernet. Pro, direct connection=better speed. Con=Long wire hanging around.

2.) Second Wireless Modem. Pro, will provide a better signal locally to you. Con, connections between the two modems can still be spotty for a number of reasons from building material and intervening objects (especially metal ones, massive amounts of electronics and electrical. )

3.) High Powered Router. Pro, a single router has a much large signal distance. You usually want to add an larger external antenna to these to maximize the distance. Con, can be comparatively expensive for a decent brand such as CradlePoint, can still be affected by large amounts of metal and electrical, can be harder to setup for the non-technical.

One troubleshooting measure you can try is to just change the placement of the modem and it's antennas. The signal off the antenna is a rough donut shape, with the Omni directional shape being the most common. Since you're on the second floor I'm pretty sure that you're only touching the edge of this wireless signal. If there is an adjustable antenna, point it away from vertical about 45 degrees and try again. Or try moving the entire router a few feet.
Old 08-18-2014, 01:31 AM #14
Promagistrate
such motto

Promagistrate owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Promagistrate has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Promagistrate has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Promagistrate supports DLX Technology
convert your ceiling fan fixtures to large cancer blaster antennas
wat
wat
Dontcallmepete: "Tell me somefin, hows no hammer to make bolts bolt better than a wrench bolts bolt? "
Old 08-18-2014, 09:16 AM #15
Supra_MKIII
Check your math.

Old thread is old

2001 Viggen // Stage 1 Oil Injection // Stage 3 Exhaust Leak // Wet Clutch Mod
Closed Thread