PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Archived Thread - Cannot Edit  
Old 12-13-2002, 04:45 PM #1
xxbmxnboardxx

Playing Front

Hey, I'm just now REALLY getting into the sport of paintball, although I've been playing for about a year now. When I go to my local field, I ALWAYS play front. Now that I'm getting more into paintball, I want to get a new gun and get some advice. What gun would be great for a front player like me? Also, are there any drills or ways I can practice to sharpen my skills needed for playing front? Any help at all would be aprreciated. Thanks!
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 12-13-2002, 08:26 PM #2
xxbmxnboardxx

bump!! C'mon guys!! Help me out here!
Old 12-13-2002, 08:35 PM #3
sfenix

sfenix is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
look at the 7 other threads on this page with the exact same question. or use that nifty search feature.
Old 12-13-2002, 09:00 PM #4
Andyman
ΦW Phi Wasted

Andyman is a Supporting Member
Andyman is an NCPA National Champion
Andyman plays in the APPA D5 division
hey i used to play front. i can give you some tips

1. run fast and low. you can put up your not used hand in front of your fore head to block. the balls have more of a chance to bounce on your hand then on your head. hold gun in any comfortable position. never shoot while going into bunker.
2. if you have time, bunker the oppositions front player to get him out of there. yes you may get hit.
3.minmize exposure time. pop out only to catch glimpse or draw attention. when the game settles communicate with back players so you can snap shoot the opposition. carry about 2-3 pods with you. if you shoot a string of 6 or more, your probably out to long.
4. invest in a compact and fast gun. cockers arent too good for front. i suggest a mag or angel or something like that. get a drop forward.
5.talk to other fronts to find out what they do and learn from them too.

pm me if you want more info

Support the NCPA

Phi Wast3d: Your blackout is our pre-game.
Old 12-13-2002, 10:41 PM #5
Razor Shrp Nipples

gotta disagree a little....

i played front at a tourney sunday (normally mid player), but i use a 14 inch barrel and a x-fire 68/45 with no drop. U dont have to have a small setup to play front. A low profile helps in my opinion, so a low rise and not a tall gun like bushys and imps usually, but if u have those guns, its possible to play front well, i just think it helps. One thing to remember is that the front players should not be getting out the majoritiy of the other teams players. Front players are there to keep the other team from getting aggressive and moving, to far forward, and they are there to "clean up" at the end of the game. O yeah and pull the flag of course =p. REmember that when u get to ur bunker, u dont have to shoot immediatly. Stay in ur bunker a little while and stay tucked and figure out where everyone is and whats goin on. DO not get discouraged when u get bunkered because it is part of playing the position, and it is almost always not ur fault when it happens.
Old 12-14-2002, 12:25 AM #6
kAmAkAzEe
muhahahahahahaha!

kAmAkAzEe is a founding member
kAmAkAzEe supports DLX Technology
kAmAkAzEe supports Ninja Paintball
i've gotta agree with everything razor sharp nipples said

by the way how u liking your viking?
Old 12-14-2002, 12:37 AM #7
HostileIntent
Run Thru Ninja

HostileIntent owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
i play front. hear are some tips that i've gotten and use that may help you. i guess your playing rec and you just run far off the break right? right. well even though its just rec you can still pick up somethings that will help you when/if you decide to pick up playing tournys. the best(not the fastest) route to your first bunker is not always a straight line. look at how the oppostion can sweet spot you off the break and see which bunkers are doable off the break. you can run in a curve or a straight line and change the angel of your run mid way through. its all about using bunkers around you to make for cover and provide the smallest gaps. when you run just go! dont second guess yourself, if your confident then sure you will make it. if your running to a bunker that has fairly good running lanes and you expect not to get alot of heat off the break, pick your head up when you run. nothing like bunkering out your opponet off the break cause you out smarted him. if you feel the heat, use your hand/arm to cover your goggles. paint bounces off flesh, not off plastic. once you reach your bunker dive in head first. dont slide, it keeps your head up and again paint breaks on your goggles. dive about a good 6feet before your bunker, youll slide/crawl right in and be safe. once there sit tight for a moment, gather yourself and listen up. knowing where everyone is off the bat is huge and will help you catch them off gaurd. the object is to be annoying to the other team. get in the key spots and go nuts. just plain shoot out there dudes. they will try to get you out and your back players should rip them before they get to you, but if they dont that meens you were just doing your job and someone else ****ed up. bunkering is key for front guys. it gets the job done fast. if an opposing players gets in a key spot, jack him out fast, and actually try to take the bunker. not just run by it. for a marker set up: no drop, dont listen to andyman. drops make guns taller and less mavuverable in tight spaces. 14" barrel works well up front. you can still post well with it and it gives you something to eye when shooting. a low rise isnt a neccestiy but hey, the little things will count some times. also invest in forearm/elbow pads. you will need them. also knee pads. not shin/knee but actual knee pads. hope this was informative.

*1ne

"you gotta get that money no matter how you do... secret inditement ****, right thur"
Old 12-14-2002, 12:38 AM #8
Razor Shrp Nipples

viking is awsome
Old 12-14-2002, 03:24 AM #9
munkeyd00d
Its cool to put "B4nned"!

Well i play front , only because im a pretty short person (5'4) and i love being in the middle of everything. Im prolly just gonn say what everyone else has, but im to lazy to read and figure out what they have said =P. Using a cocker is fine for front (i know because i shoot one =P) and it shoots hella fast, so no problem there. Be fast, 50 off the break isnt always the easiest thing ever.But i have i usually run low and fast, and i dont shoot until im snug in a bunker.Play hard, dont let them take you easy.Do what you need to to keep from letting the other team move in. I dunno what else, IM or Email me if you need any more help =P.
Old 12-14-2002, 03:29 AM #10
armyranger6six6

1. be very aggressive (make the 40 or 50 off the break)

learn to snap shoot with both hands

your job as a front man is to not let the other team move up and to get angles the back men will create for you
Old 12-14-2002, 07:08 PM #11
DuMb-KiD-dReW
ACPP Forever

DuMb-KiD-dReW is a founding member
Foucs on hitting whatever your frist bunker is off the break stay low and move fast once your at your bunker play tight and keep talking to your back baller. play the one on one game don't go comando and lose your cool and think you can take on the intire team.

Drills do 2 on 1 or 3 on 1 really good get you used to playing with all guns on you and having to move with lots of paint beging shot at you. wrok on playing the 30 seccond rule or the shadow game.

DKD
Old 12-14-2002, 09:39 PM #12
Meph

Meph is a Supporting Member
Well, the only way a drop makes it taller is if you shoulder your tank. However, if you have your tank lower as well say under your arm instead of shouldering it, you can keep tighter without making it taller.

It's not the drop's fault, it's how you hold the marker and aim with it.

My Sponsors:
Fat babies on Maury
Guinness
And my newest Sponsor.... Charmin!
Old 12-14-2002, 10:11 PM #13
Dougie

yes try playing a snake laying down with a drop ... im sure it dosnt matter how you hold it then ... because when you gun is 11inches tall and the bunker is only 10 ... you will be screwed ... paintball marshals shouldnt be allowed to give advice...
Old 12-14-2002, 11:09 PM #14
HostileIntent
Run Thru Ninja

HostileIntent owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Quote:
Originally posted by Meph
Well, the only way a drop makes it taller is if you shoulder your tank. However, if you have your tank lower as well say under your arm instead of shouldering it, you can keep tighter without making it taller.

It's not the drop's fault, it's how you hold the marker and aim with it.
and you arent shouldering it because...

*1ne

"you gotta get that money no matter how you do... secret inditement ****, right thur"
Old 12-14-2002, 11:40 PM #15
paintballdude_13

Ya basicly what everyone else says. It helps me to go out there and play "balls to the wall" when I get really pissed off, cause it makes me bunker and more agressive. I'm the captain of my little 3 man, and I got pissed cause my frontman was playing horrible in a tourney, so I made him play more mid-back. The first game out I bunkered 1, then the next game I bunkered 2 and layed paint on the other guys bunker while my teammate bunkered him. I mean I get pissed and I go out there and squash the other team. I've been able to pull off shooting on the break, and it's helped. I dont recomend it though if you wanna get far off the break. I usually get about to the 25 and then I wait to either myself or a teammate shoots one guy out, or I have them rain paint, so I can get into a nice bunker on the 50 to get behind them and bunker.
Old 12-15-2002, 01:26 AM #16
Dougie

well your just a superstar ... maybe you can sell us one of your autographed jerseys??
Old 12-15-2002, 03:47 AM #17
nmr

nmr is a Supporting Member
nmr is a founding member
"You have to make the moves"

My Feedback.
Old 12-15-2002, 09:14 AM #18
paintballdude_13

Just a quick question to add to the thread. What type of footwear do you recomend for playing front? For sand? For hard sometimes alittle muddy dirt? Grass?
Old 12-15-2002, 09:37 AM #19
PurgatoryPit

Hi top rubber cleats.
Old 12-15-2002, 10:23 AM #20
oddpb11

What everyone says is pretty good advice, DO NOT use a drop unless it is absolutely necessary. I usually never get hit off go, except for in the mask so lately i have been implementing the hand over goggle technique, and it has worked great. Gunwise, just get what you are comfortable with. But the things you should look for in a gun are smallness and quickness. Also you dont want a gun that will break easily.
Old 12-15-2002, 12:10 PM #21
Dougie

have any of you actually player tournaments at a competitive level? im guessing you havnt because you all play rookie 3 man and thats all you ever talk about ... almost all of your dumba$$ advice is easily laughed at ... espically the post about how front players arent there to kill people ... their there to stop the other team from moving up ... you play in the woods ... my advice is to get out there and play and stop asking retard questions on forums..