Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 07-23-2012, 08:17 AM #1
paintball is in me

Refs event 5, Bad wouldnt isn't the right wrong

OMG what the hell was the deal with the refs.. look i done it before and i know it’s the most thankless job, but if you're going to do it do it right...

You have team spending a **** load of money to lose to crapping reffing..

I saw Revolution, Element, both Voodoo and Miami get some REAL bad calls, Revolution got it so bad that Eric rightfully so lost it.. bs after bs calls...

This can’t keep happening..

Some of these refs are way too friendly with some of the other teams, when you have side line coaches yelling to the refs to get the to check someone that’s been hit since the break and don’t pull a 1 for 1....reallly
paintball is in me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 07-23-2012, 08:51 AM #2
snakeplayer87

plays in the NXL
snakeplayer87 is an NCPA National Champion
snakeplayer87 plays in the APPA D1 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by paintball is in me View Post
OMG what the hell was the deal with the refs.. look i done it before and i know it’s the most thankless job, but if you're going to do it do it right...

I saw Revolution, Element, both Voodoo and Miami get some REAL bad calls, Revolution got it so bad that Eric rightfully so lost it.. bs after bs calls...

Some of these refs are way too friendly with some of the other teams, when you have side line coaches yelling to the refs to get the to check someone that’s been hit since the break and don’t pull a 1 for 1....reallly
stop blaming the refs for your lost. the refs stand there all day for no pay or every little pay. I think the refs did a fine job this weekend thank you to all the refs
snakeplayer87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 09:41 AM #3
c_dogg4

c_dogg4 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Quote:
Originally Posted by snakeplayer87
stop blaming the refs for your lost. the refs stand there all day for no pay or every little pay. I think the refs did a fine job this weekend thank you to all the refs
I really feel like you have the worst posts on this website. Go to school, learn proper grammar, then come back and actually make a contribution to a thread for once.
c_dogg4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 09:48 AM #4
corteofla

corteofla plays in the PSP
corteofla plays in the MiLP
corteofla is reppin' sidebar 4 life
Congrats to the Vipers on their win, the ball that was played and the reffing during our match were both exceptional, keep it up

Last edited by corteofla : 07-23-2012 at 05:31 PM.
corteofla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 09:53 AM #5
snakeplayer87

plays in the NXL
Quote:
Originally Posted by c_dogg4

I really feel like you have the worst posts on this website. Go to school, learn proper grammar, then come back and actually make a contribution to a thread for once.
Well I might have bad grammar but I don't blame the refs for my lose like every other team.

Last edited by snakeplayer87 : 07-23-2012 at 10:03 AM.
Old 07-23-2012, 10:14 AM #6
c_dogg4

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakeplayer87

Well I might have bad grammar but I don't blame the refs for my lose like every other team.
Not every other team does. However, if the refs are bad something should be said. Just because you had no bad calls today, doesn't mean they won't come some day. Everyone who plays paintball, at some point or another, will complain about the refs and blame them. So don't sound too high and mighty bud.
Old 07-23-2012, 10:21 AM #7
bonusballas
E.K.K

bonusballas plays in the PSP
 plays in the NXL
bonusballas supports our troops
bonusballas is an NCPA player
bonusballas is an NCPA National Champion
You guys have no clue how difficult reffing is, especially when most refs are doing it for free.

If you blame your loss on the refs, you seriously should consider another sport.
Old 07-23-2012, 10:31 AM #8
pbizlife

pbizlife plays in the PSP
pbizlife supports Team VICIOUS
pbizlife posts videos on PbNation

Last edited by pbizlife : 07-23-2012 at 12:09 PM.
pbizlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 10:38 AM #9
snakeplayer87

plays in the NXL
Quote:
Originally Posted by c_dogg4

Not every other team does. However, if the refs are bad something should be said. Just because you had no bad calls today, doesn't mean they won't come some day. Everyone who plays paintball, at some point or another, will complain about the refs and blame them. So don't sound too high and mighty bud.
Well I have been a ref before that is why I don't complain about bad calls.

Also have you ever been a ref before. I would say NO because how you are bashing them for calls.
Once you ref you would final appreciate what they do and how little they do it for.
Old 07-23-2012, 10:58 AM #10
paintball is in me

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakeplayer87 View Post
Well I have been a ref before that is why I don't complain about bad calls.

Also have you ever been a ref before. I would say NO because how you are bashing them for calls.
Once you ref you would final appreciate what they do and how little they do it for.

Well if you read my post you would see i said "look i done it before and i know it’s the most thankless job" so i done many NPPL events where you get training to be a ref...

You should never have kids that dont ready know what there doing or are to scare to make a call and the most basic "you should know the rules"

By the snakeplayer87 my teams wasnt playing... so we didnt lose due to bad calls.. try something else
paintball is in me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 11:05 AM #11
Skylar518

Skylar518 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Some events are better than others. I would say Saturday they seemed understaffed. But stuff happens and for people to argue on here is stupid. There are way more variables. You could of been on different fields, different refs, or be on opposite sides of the call.

Also I think that players are more to blame by relying on refs to pull them wheb they should be coming off on an obvious hit. You think by not shooting your gun and staying behind your prop for 20 seconds doesn't change the game but it does.

I only have to concerns for the weekend. I think consistency needs to be address. You can't have the same thing happen with 2 different outcomes. It seems like sometimes they would pull a penalty sometimes they wouldn't.

The other thing was barrel bags in the pits. I saw many live uncovered barrels in the pits this event and not one penalty pulled. I know it will only take one major injury from someone getting shot in the face in the pits to start enforcing this rule more but I think that injury could be prevented if we start enforcing the rule now. The corner pit side judge should be on top of this in between games.

Other than that I only saw one time an obvious missed called because the absent of a judge at the 50 snake but other than that thanks to the refs for actually showing up and giving us a fun event.

Thanks refs, smiths and everyone that participated.
Cfps #2 D5 5 man 3rd place
Cfps #3 D5 1st Place
Cfps #3 D4 xball 3rd place
Cfps #4 D5 1st Place
Cfps #5 D4 xball 3rd Place
Cfps #5 D5 2nd place
Gfoa #5 D4 3rd place
Skylar518 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 11:07 AM #12
Paintball Jefe

Look is it part of the game, yes!!!!

But i agree that changes need to be made. I have two teams and between paint & entire its a lot of money $$$$. I think that most teams can see there's been changes since the first two event where i think the refs were doing a great job "which by the way we placed 12, just in case you wanted to know" so i'm not saying that cause we won cause we didnt...
Paintball Jefe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 11:09 AM #13
c_dogg4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylar518
Some events are better than others. I would say Saturday they seemed understaffed. But stuff happens and for people to argue on here is stupid. There are way more variables. You could of been on different fields, different refs, or be on opposite sides of the call.

Also I think that players are more to blame by relying on refs to pull them wheb they should be coming off on an obvious hit. You think by not shooting your gun and staying behind your prop for 20 seconds doesn't change the game but it does.

I only have to concerns for the weekend. I think consistency needs to be address. You can't have the same thing happen with 2 different outcomes. It seems like sometimes they would pull a penalty sometimes they wouldn't.

The other thing was barrel bags in the pits. I saw many live uncovered barrels in the pits this event and not one penalty pulled. I know it will only take one major injury from someone getting shot in the face in the pits to start enforcing this rule more but I think that injury could be prevented if we start enforcing the rule now. The corner pit side judge should be on top of this in between games.

Other than that I only saw one time an obvious missed called because the absent of a judge at the 50 snake but other than that thanks to the refs for actually showing up and giving us a fun event.

This comment is all I want. Consistency. If one guy gets shot and stays in, call a penalty. If another guy after him happens, he should get the same penalty. It seems like being friends and all that has gotten to be the problem. If I don't like a team, I can pull penalties for any reason without any rhyme or reason. But when my boys are playing, they won't get any penalties thrown on them. That sort of thing is wrong and needs to be stopped. The refs who do what I just stated, need to face consequences.
Old 07-23-2012, 11:10 AM #14
Paintball Jefe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylar518 View Post

Speak the truth!!!! i saw so many live guns without bags it was crazy... getting air guns pointing every where, kind of crazy
Old 07-23-2012, 11:10 AM #15
SupportinYou
FSSSB

SupportinYou plays in the PSP
SupportinYou is playing at Living Legends V
SupportinYou owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
SupportinYou posts videos on PbNation
SupportinYou is Legendary
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonusballas View Post
You guys have no clue how difficult reffing is, especially when most refs are doing it for free.

If you blame your loss on the refs, you seriously should consider another sport.
Exactly, especially when you blame all of the refs in general and then make a public statement about it when if you have a problem, you need to take it up personally with the person in charge of the refs.

I wouldn't want them to consider another sport, because they might do the same thing and that time, I might be the one officiating, and I do not take too kindly to people trying to tell me how to do my job.

In the end, the refs are only human. No one is perfect and you have to realize that. Could some people do a better job, sure. But, you can't always rely on people to be 100% perfect with their calls (Even though if they came out there, they should at least try to be consistent). Also, when talking to a ref, do not use hand gestures, keep your voice calm, and be patient.

Last edited by SupportinYou : 07-23-2012 at 11:12 AM.
SupportinYou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 11:13 AM #16
Paintball Jefe

Quote:
Originally Posted by c_dogg4 View Post
This comment is all I want. Consistency. If one guy gets shot and stays in, call a penalty. If another guy after him happens, he should get the same penalty. It seems like being friends and all that has gotten to be the problem. If I don't like a team, I can pull penalties for any reason without any rhyme or reason. But when my boys are playing, they won't get any penalties thrown on them. That sort of thing is wrong and needs to be stopped. The refs who do what I just stated, need to face consequences.

two very true post!!!!
Old 07-23-2012, 11:16 AM #17
Paintball Jefe

paintballisinme.

you have some good points you may just want to say them in a different way..
Old 07-23-2012, 04:03 PM #18
lynnwood

has been a member for 10 years
lynnwood plays in the PSP
lynnwood plays in the APPA D4 division
personally i think if you want to step up and complain about the reffing do it personally to john or johnny they both strive to give the best experience possible.
second if you feel the need to call out the reffs in a public forum put your name and team and the instance where the problem happened.
good reffing doesn't means all the calls go your way...
just my 2 cents.
1st Place round 1 CFPS D4 X-ball 2011
1st place round 6 cfps d4x palm beach
1st place round 5 cfps d4x palm beach
1st place round 4 cfps d4x Palm beach
1st place round 2 cfps d4x Palm beach
lynnwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 06:29 PM #19
CFP| John

CFP| John plays in the PSP
 plays in the NXL
Quote:
Originally Posted by paintball is in me View Post

Eric rightfully so lost it?
That's ridiculous. Eric has proven himself to be a fair and decent man. I doubt he ever loses it and doesn't regret it. If you think losing it is a justifiable action when you disagree with something then you should stay away from paintball tournaments.

Some of these refs are way to friendly with some of the "other" teams?
Say what you want about missed calls, bad calls, or whatever but this complaint ruins any credibility your other points have.

For the other complaints and the other people on this thread discussing other reffing issues, I just wanted to bring up the following for you guys to think about. We use the same refs every event. You can't get the exact same crew every time but 90% of the refs out there last weekend were the same as every other event this year. Most of these guys have been reffing the CFPS for three years, some for more.

Every year when the weather is good and it's not hot, the reffing is always considered good. Every year when it gets real hot the reffing starts getting complained about. Same refs, pretty much the same teams, the big variable is the heat.

I'm not saying that there aren't any valid complaints. The hotter it gets the faster everyone gets worn out. The hotter it gets the more combative players get. The more combative everyone gets the less empathy either ref or player has for each other and their circumstance.

That doesn't mean we don't care or that we don't want feedback. We want to put forth the absolute best product we can. We take our customers feedback seriously. However, this is a trend I've noticed that hasn't changed since I started playing tournaments in 1999. If you have an idea that doesn't make it pointless to even hold the event, like, you guys should hire 3 different ref crews so the refs are always fresh, then we'd like to hear it.

My experience could be summed up with; every year despite what ever efforts we make, the summer time events are going to have more complaints, more near fights, and more post tournament complaining than rest of the events. Or from a players perspective you could say; that despite the promoters and refs best efforts, the summer time events are going to have a few more missed calls, a few more in-consistent decisions, and a few more mishandled situations.
CFP| John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 06:57 PM #20
TBDJoey

TBDJoey is a Professional paintball player
TBDJoey plays in the USPL
TBDJoey plays in the PSP
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFP| John View Post
Eric rightfully so lost it?
That's ridiculous. Eric has proven himself to be a fair and decent man. I doubt he ever loses it and doesn't regret it. If you think losing it is a justifiable action when you disagree with something then you should stay away from paintball tournaments.

Some of these refs are way to friendly with some of the "other" teams?
Say what you want about missed calls, bad calls, or whatever but this complaint ruins any credibility your other points have.

For the other complaints and the other people on this thread discussing other reffing issues, I just wanted to bring up the following for you guys to think about. We use the same refs every event. You can't get the exact same crew every time but 90% of the refs out there last weekend were the same as every other event this year. Most of these guys have been reffing the CFPS for three years, some for more.

Every year when the weather is good and it's not hot, the reffing is always considered good. Every year when it gets real hot the reffing starts getting complained about. Same refs, pretty much the same teams, the big variable is the heat.

I'm not saying that there aren't any valid complaints. The hotter it gets the faster everyone gets worn out. The hotter it gets the more combative players get. The more combative everyone gets the less empathy either ref or player has for each other and their circumstance.

That doesn't mean we don't care or that we don't want feedback. We want to put forth the absolute best product we can. We take our customers feedback seriously. However, this is a trend I've noticed that hasn't changed since I started playing tournaments in 1999. If you have an idea that doesn't make it pointless to even hold the event, like, you guys should hire 3 different ref crews so the refs are always fresh, then we'd like to hear it.

My experience could be summed up with; every year despite what ever efforts we make, the summer time events are going to have more complaints, more near fights, and more post tournament complaining than rest of the events. Or from a players perspective you could say; that despite the promoters and refs best efforts, the summer time events are going to have a few more missed calls, a few more in-consistent decisions, and a few more mishandled situations.

Well Said John.
I have played at National events with much worse reffing at the Pro level.

Be thankful CFP and the ref crew even hold these events if it were not for them there would be no decent local events in Florida.
Luxe
AGG
Social Paintball
Vintage Paintball
TBDJoey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 07:05 PM #21
WillyW0nka
REGISTERED SEXY OFFENDER

WillyW0nka is a Supporting Member
WillyW0nka plays in the PSP
WillyW0nka supports our troops
I have three complaints/suggestions/whatever the hell about officiating:

1.) I've been at every event this season and not once have I been chrono'd, nor have I seen anyone else checked either. This worries me.

2.) This most recent event, the barrel bags were a problem. Event 3 you were walking around to each pit telling teams it was a -1 body penalty at the start of the next game. You REALLY need to do that again next event. I don't feel comfortable with people walking around without a barrel sock on.

3.) I told Steve before the event that I would shoot more people than him. Unfortunately, I got the second most kills on the team and Steve once again shot more people than everyone else on the roster. This is unacceptable. More people need to walk in front of my paint and prevent Steve from once again shooting the most people. It's officially your responsibility to make sure that someone other than Steve shoots you.

Thank you,
Dom

WillyW0nka is offline   Reply With Quote