PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 01-29-2012, 09:06 AM #1
ajmort00

has been a member for 10 years
ajmort00 owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
First Strike Rounds and T9.1

So for quite a while I've wanted to try first strike rounds and I've found I really like the T9.1 ranger and CQB. Before I pull the trigger on 350 - 400 worth of gear I have a few questions.

1st: Are F.S. rounds all they are cracked up to be? I've read reviews that make some pretty ostentatious claims, like hitting a quarter from 50 meters (around 150 feet). Anyway, can I get a consensus on just how superior these rounds are to a premium grade paint with good barrel match?
link to review that made the quarter claim: http://www.pbreview.com/products/reviews/6448/

2nd: I've heard mixed reviews on the T9.1 line, such as they are a pain to keep operating and they breakdown frequently? Can anyone comment on durability and general ease of maintenance?

3rd: I prefer to play scenario ball, but I also play some speedball, will the ranger or CQB be preferable?

Thanks guy!
ajmort00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 01-29-2012, 12:21 PM #2
voodooaddict
Limited Paint Play Zealot

voodooaddict is a Supporting Member
For #1 - Checkout this thread. Most of what you are looking to know about FS accuracy can be found there. The guy was worried about pretty much the same things:
https://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=3721945

For #2 - They aren't as easy to breakdown and maintain as say, an ego, or vibe. They are on the more difficult side. But if you are using them for limited paint, I.E. magfeed only. You aren't putting them through too many cycles too frequently. I've known a few casual players that really only break them down to oil/clean the internals once or twice a season, not after every day out playing.

The biggest problem people have with them on the reliability side is the 12 grams in the magazines. Occasionally they will leak as the cold CO2 will make the orings hard and prone to scratching (and too many dirty crossman/daisy 12 grams can gunk up the valves). There are two ways around that possible issue. Keep the valves in them well oiled and always buy 1 or 2 more magazines then you think you'll regularly need (which isn't a bad rule of thumb for ANY mag feed marker ), or just run constant air, either through a remote line, or the in stock 13/3000 setup.

The other problem people occasionally have is breaking paint. The Tiberius line is based on the classic automag. It's not gentle on paint. Super brittle tourney paint that an ego or axe can shoot won't agree well the Tiberius. You want to use a more durable paint if you have the option. If your only option is a very brittle field paint, removing one of the two, and/or modifying the detents can help the Tiberius shoot brittle paint a little more reliably. - If you wouldn't use the paint on an A5 or similar because it's too brittle, don't use it on a Tiberius. Choose the right paint and/or properly setup/modify your detents and it won't be a nagging issue.

For #3 - Personally, I prefer just pistol for speedball. Of those two you'd probably want the CQB style for speedball, but really you are just a cheap part or two away from turning a CQB into a ranger or a ranger into a CQB. Buy what you want.

For magazine feed only and/or first strike only play, the 9.1 is probably the most flexible platform available. It's fun effective, and easy to customize. Pistol play, tight CQB style, or full blown out riffle with bi-pod and scope for long range FS shots. It all works with the 9.1.

If however you are planning to run paint through a hopper most of the time, there are better platforms out there for spraying paint. The 9.1 shines as a mag feed, limited-paint marker.

I (and many others) find limited paint play very invigorating. It's like always playing towards the end of the game. Think about how exciting it is in a regular game when you realize only have a few balls rolling around in the hopper. You have to make sure that you make them count, you need to move into a good position, and not just spray paint for 10 minutes at the edge of your max range. Sometimes in that position you decide to make a suicide run to help break open a side for your team... you have any idea how memorable and exciting it is when a run like that actually nets you 3, 4, or 5 eliminations? That's the way many of us play every game, then entire game with limited paint. ... then there's the other obvious benefit to limited paint ... the $$ to get out and play more often. There are many days where I don't go even go through 200 rounds of paint. Yet had a stellar day. When posted up against someone who dumps more rounds on your bunker then you use in a day, and you still eliminate them... that's satisfying.

Unsure if limited paint is for you? There's a low cost way to try the playstyle before dropping $$ on a 9.1. If you already own an A5, X7 or Phenom, I suggest getting a tac cap and setting it up for the 30 rounds. Then pickup some Allen Paintball 30 round tubes, and get out and play some, forcing yourself to use the setup. You'll experience either exhilaration and excitement with each of the shots, you know each shot it important. And finding that you remembering both the hits and the near misses. OR you'll just get frustrated that you don't have more shots on hand to spray back.
+ too many ol' Shoebox Shockers for loaners.
voodooaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 03:29 PM #3
ajmort00

Thanks for the info! I think I'm going to go with the CQB. One last question, what barrel do you recommend? I've heard that Lapco makes a rifled 13 inch but I can't find it on the Lapco site,

Thanks again!
Old 01-29-2012, 11:26 PM #4
voodooaddict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmort00 View Post
Thanks for the info! I think I'm going to go with the CQB. One last question, what barrel do you recommend? I've heard that Lapco makes a rifled 13 inch but I can't find it on the Lapco site,

Thanks again!
I think you are talking about the 14" rifled that is made by Lapco and sold by Tiberius.

http://www.rockstartactical.com/Tibe...ib-fsr-brl.htm

Personally, I find a well cleaned/polished stock barrel to be more then fine. For starting out you might want to skip going after the rifled barrel at first. It's Only for first strikes, not paint as well. And it's possible but not recommended for use with 12 grams. remote or 13/3000 is preferable for the rifled barrel.

CQB + a remote or 12 grams is still a great way to start out. The First strikes are plenty impressive out of the stock barrel. Plus not buying the rifled barrel leave a few $$ leftover for more mags, some way to carry said mags, and some first stike boxes
Old 02-01-2012, 10:32 PM #5
Unlucky_Irish

Its gonna be hard to compare to all that in depth he posted for ya but I LOVE my t9. Downsides are def taking apart and cleaning and ONLY do it at the field if you've done it a few times. Limited capacity play is, imo, way more intense then full cap. I love going up against speedballers with mine and just outplaying vs outgunning but like voodooaddict said, you WILL remember every near miss and hit that doesnt break. Ived owned a toro, an a5 and x7 and now the t9 joined my arsenal and is easily my fav. Going mag fed with pistol def throws in a change of pace. I qloaded mine and HIGHLY recommend it, just take the time to set the hose length and I didnt and got alot of breaks. But I love the q system. Also, Id say stick with the ranger as its better for the price, cheaper if I remember. The red dot with ranger is imo better than the cqb setup plus at some point you're probably gonna want that shroud vs a silencer thats purely for looks. I use my ranger in cqb perfectly fine with shroud, as the barrels that long anyways. Barrel wise I own both the rifled lapco through tiberius for FS rounds as well as lapcos st8shot. Love both and I use the rifle for fs only play. If you add an apex do not add the first gen, use the second gen as i own both and had far less breaks in the apex2, could just be me but thats my experience. I dont use co2's so cant say anything about that since I run a remote, psiworx proconnect 3, love it just make sure to follows directions to make it work. If you do qload you CAN run both at the same time but make sure the mag is OUT when you rotate the barrel to switch between and dont forget the 1st shot will have whatever you last used. i.e. qload to fs shoots a paintball first and vice versa. It does work, but I only do it for extended play. I bought all my gear minus gun from rockstartactical.com they are amazing with everything. I used the valken mag and pds pouches and work great (hard to find pods pouches/harness to fit qpods) I def recommend a tac vest if you choose to go t9 and not use co2 and run remote, got mine on my back horizontal just under my neck works great. Any questions just hit me up
Unlucky_Irish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 05:29 PM #6
ajmort00

Thanks for all the info guys I went with the CQB. It arrived Thursday and I switched the stem out & am running HPA.

However I've run into a little problem. One of my magazines won't eject. I talked to Tiberius Arms & they said to put oil on the oring around the 12 gram adaptor. Which I did, but it still jams. Any suggestions? If not no biggie, Tiberius should just replace the mag right?
Old 02-04-2012, 06:09 PM #7
voodooaddict

I've been seeing similar reported with a fair number of mags recently on other forums. (MCB, Tiberius Official)

Can you see any scratches on the magazine from where it might be getting stuck? I had one behaving this way about a year ago and found a slight imperfection in the metal on the large flat vertical surface between the air port and the main feed port. I cleaned up the bump with a little sandpaper and all is well.

Others found a different problem, they found that the little cap in on the magazine valve had too small an opening, and it was getting stuck on the nipple. They used a little sandpaper or small round file to slightly open up the hole on the air port.

Hope this helps.
Old 02-04-2012, 11:33 PM #8
Havoc-paintballer
Long Barrelled Pistolier

Havoc-paintballer is for the Gunfight
Havoc-paintballer posts videos on PbNation
Havoc-paintballer has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Havoc-paintballer has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Havoc-paintballer is attending Decay of Nations VI
Voodoo, as the expert of all things Tiberius, may I ask you why HPA is suggested for the rifled barrel and FS?

Havoc-paintballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 02:12 AM #9
voodooaddict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havoc-paintballer View Post
why HPA is suggested for the rifled barrel and FS?
TL,DR version. 12 gram efficiency is much lower with the rifled barrel. Tests have shown much better consistency running different input pressures then @800-850psi (CO2 @70 deg F is about 853 psi). With HPA you can change or adjust the tank reg to a more optimal input PSI for the rifled barrel. 12 grams still work, it's just not optimal.

Longer version....
The fit of a FS round in the rifled barrel is VERY tight. To counteract this you need to up the pressure considerably to get them to come out at the desired velocity.

This turning up the gun regulator causes much more gas to be used per shot. With a 12 gram the efficiency is pretty important as you don't want to be running out of gas sooner then you planned. There are a few who have reported that they can still get a solid 2 magazines (16 shots) out of a single 12 gram while using the rifled barrel setup. For some that might not be an issue. But it does raise the per shot cost for people who were getting 3-4 mags (24-32 shots) per 12 gram before the switch to the rifled barrel. Using an HPA setup eliminates most issues from a 12 gram running dry unexpectedly.

UV_Halo from MCB and Tib Official forums did quite a bit of testing to discover problems with consistency when the regulator is turned up as high as it needs to be for the rifled barrel. In other words the gun regulator on the marker is outside it's most optimal input/output range. He's found that using a higher input pressure improves consistency greatly. I believe UV_halo uses 1000 or 1100 psi from the tank. Chicago from the Tib Official and ACES forums has found the same improvement by lowering his input pressure. Chicago uses 600psi input pressure. The stock 800psi input pressure of CO2 and most HPA tanks combined with the ammount you need to turnup the Tib reg doesn't seem to maintain the consistency people are used to with the marker. Using HPA instead of CO2 12 grams allows you to use a tank reg like the Ninja regs to change your input pressure to maintain consistency.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havoc-paintballer View Post
Voodoo, as the expert of all things Tiberius, may I ask you
Thank you, but we know that's not true. I'm just one of the more experienced Tib users who still lurks PBN.
Old 02-08-2012, 08:50 PM #10
ajmort00

So more questions. How do I install the tri-rail riser? I am sure its very simple but I'm just not getting it.
Old 02-08-2012, 08:59 PM #11
voodooaddict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmort00 View Post
So more questions. How do I install the tri-rail riser? I am sure its very simple but I'm just not getting it.
Take off the side rails, remove the screws holding the locking rail.

Then SLIDE the locking rail out of the riser.

Place the riser where you want it.

Then SLIDE the locking rail back in and secure it with the screws.

I know, compared to many other 20mm rail accessories it's a bit of a pain... *shrug* it works, it's just not easy to move around and try different mounting positions.
Old 02-08-2012, 09:27 PM #12
ajmort00

Aha! Thanks!

Gun has been a lot of fun so far. I'm still aiming high tho; a product of shooting traditional paint for so long!
Old 05-08-2012, 12:06 AM #13
Darth_balls

I hate to drag an old thread back to life, but since I'm considering purchasing a T9.1, I was wondering if you had any feedback on the marker, FS rounds, etc since you've had a few months to use it.

Thanks!
Darth_balls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 07:39 PM #14
Unlucky_Irish

Ive been using reg paint for a year now in it and love it. Today was the first use of FS in play, no sights just ris rails and I LOVE it. Amazingly accurate at normal ranges (even when speedballers cock their marker back to longball) and popped some nice extra ranger shots into a few unsuspecting players. Whizzed one next to a guys mask, literally within or under an inch of it. He goes dude, I heard it and it sounded right next to my ear. I am def running them from now on. Now would I go FS only? Prob not since I can run the longbow but a mini hopper would work too just so with a twist of the barrel you can duke it out a bit better. Dont forget to have the mag released when going from mag to side feed. When going side to mag it doesnt matter though.
Old 09-03-2012, 06:23 PM #15
ajmort00

I love the accuracy of these things! I played some woodsball with these today and still marvel at the range and accuracy. One question for you Tiberius veterans. How do you hold ur setup? I can't use a stock or the 13CU. My mask gets in the way when I shoulder it. Or try to at least.
Old 09-04-2012, 12:59 AM #16
Unlucky_Irish

Get yourself a riser, preferably an adjustable one. Scope wise I know one guy was loving using a crossbow scope on the Tiberius forums, think it was an xb30 hawkeye or something. Shouldnt be too hard to find there
Old 09-04-2012, 08:42 PM #17
ajmort00

Alright, I def. need more work with it, I just can't find a comfortable way to hold the gun and get my head behind it, like I can with my Axe. Is there a dog-leg stock?
Old 09-04-2012, 09:03 PM #18
Unlucky_Irish

There is the ROC stock v1 and 32. Kinda pricey but people love em
Old 09-04-2012, 09:10 PM #19
ajmort00

yea that's a bit rich for my blood, maybe just mod a mask a bit so I can get closer?
Old 11-09-2012, 01:19 PM #20
hunter2013

is it possible to run say a 9 ounce co2 tank in the stock, i don't see why not myself but hpa is scarce around here, and a co2 fill is as simple as going to the barn
hunter2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 01:53 PM #21
Unlucky_Irish

I wouldnt mod a mask as that would then make the mask illegal for use on the field. Id stick with getting a riser (adjustable or non) or taller scope rings.

As for using co2, that in itself is fine. Whether or not it fits snugly in the stock meant for a tank is another deal. I wrap my 13ci's with electrical all the way down, 1 layer over lapping slightly, to get rid of the wiggle so if its a bit small just wrap it. Or just use the tank itself as a stock, looks less aesthetically pleasing but works nonetheless.