Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 12-12-2011, 12:50 AM #22
Milky Spore
i be illin'.

has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by tung.cj View Post
you might want to invest in some gloves...nothing fancy.
getting shot in the back of the hand is a *****
easy solution is to get elbow pads (good ones will partly cover the tops of your hands) and wear a longsleeve with thumb holes cut in the sleeves. get a shirt a size larger than you normally wear for this. that way you'll still have the use and feel of your fingers, but your hand will be protected without the bulk of gloves.

to each their own. i dislike gloves unless if it's cold out, in which case i'm probably not playing as i'm not as hardcore as i used to be about going every weekend.
Advertisement
Old 12-12-2011, 01:44 AM #23
SKI008

plays in the NXL
Good mask is a must. Vforce and JT are my two favorites but you really need to choose the one you like best. Different people have different sized heads so going to your local proshop or asking plaers at your field if they wouldn't mind letting you try on their mask will help you find something you're happy with. An HPA tank would also be good. Get Ninja.

Kneepads are essential. I haven't found a pair of PB specific pads I liked so I wear Asic volleyball kneepads under my paintball pants and they work great. Super padded, super cheap, work much better than the other brands I've tried. You can also look at wrestling kneepads.

A pair of paintball specific pants is a good investment also. They aren't as important as a mask but when I switched from jeans to my first pair of Evil pants playing was a lot more comfortable. PB pants are designed to handle abuse so you won't wear the knees out.
Old 12-12-2011, 10:29 AM #24
Milky Spore
i be illin'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKI008 View Post

Kneepads are essential. I haven't found a pair of PB specific pads I liked so I wear Asic volleyball kneepads under my paintball pants and they work great. Super padded, super cheap, work much better than the other brands I've tried. You can also look at wrestling kneepads.
this is true and is very good advice. paintball knee pads are a mediocre rip off that cost nearly five times as much.
Old 12-12-2011, 10:47 AM #25
Mephysteaux
Pronounced Meh-Fist-Oh

Mephysteaux owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Mephysteaux owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
To chime in on the boots vs sneakers debate: I use both, depending on the situation. Sneakers are my default, I use regular running shoes. The advantage of sneakers vs boots is you can move a little faster, and won't feel as exhausted at the end of the day. I bring out the boots when conditions get bad, typically when I'm playing a field with really rough terrain, when it's been raining (because having wet feet ruins your day) or when it's cold/snowy out. And for these, you don't need anything special, I use the same sneakers I run in and the same boots I wear to work.

I will say that paintball pants are one of my favorite investments, though. Not just because they look cool and have padding in the right places, but also just for the simple reason that you have a durable pair of pants dedicated to paintball that it doesn't matter if they get dirty. Considering that I've ruined at least one pair of regular pants playing paintball, they do pay for themselves if you go with something inexpensive, like an older pair of Proto pants.

Hellkatz present: Blues Brothers - May 11, 2013 - LVP South, Hatfield PA

Join Fitocracy, the free online social fitness game.

Last edited by Mephysteaux : 12-12-2011 at 10:54 AM.
Mephysteaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 12:06 AM #26
renzokuken1227

Do people use knee and elbow pads when they play?
renzokuken1227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 12:57 PM #27
KookieMonster
Kookie or Nookie???

KookieMonster donated to help Peyton Trent
KookieMonster supports Bob Gurnsey
KookieMonster has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
KookieMonster supports Shocker RSX
Yes, even woodsball use knee and elbow pads. We are issued em in the army now and are part of the equipment required by units when going out on mission. If we use em in combat, to reduce injury, then it's a good idea to use em in woodsball also.

I've always said that a solid mask is the first thing you should worry about. All paintball guns will shoot a paintball and you can upgrade the barrel and everything else on it to get the accuracy you want. But a mask can only be upgraded by the color and thermal or single pain lense. You can't really change anything else with it. So get you a mask that is comfortable and gives you great visibility. I always liked the JT Spectra line or the Vforce Profiler.

The key, especally in woodsball, is to carry only what you need. Everything else will weigh you down, hinder your ability to move and also increase the amount of noise you will make when trying to be all stealth-like in the woods.

My ideal woodsball setup is my old BDU uniform, 2 pods and pack, knee and elbow pads, JT mask and Tipman 98 w/ flatline barrel. Now mind you that I play more of a sniper style in the woods.
Old 12-21-2011, 02:04 PM #28
2nwyka
A Lover and a Poet

2nwyka posts videos on PbNation
2nwyka has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
2nwyka supports Ninja Paintball
My investments usually come of necessity. For my first two or three years of paintball, I had only a gravity fed hopper, 9oz CO2 tank, stock marker setup, and a Viewloader mask. Later on, as I got more into it, I invested in a new marker (2k 'Cocker), a pod belt, and better clothing. However, I payed full price for only a barrel and a my HPA tank. The rest I got from either thrift stores or online from people. So, you really don't need more gear, you just need more skill. And if the need arises, aquire more. The environment I play in mandated that I get something with tear-resistant elbows (I can't stand elbow pads) so I went shopping for old paintball jerseys. I found instead an Army Combat Shirt with padded and protected elbows. So, it solved my problem at a reasonable price. If you play woodsball, which I think you said you do, I would suggest investing in gloves and boots to help you move through the environment without injury. After that, I'd look at HPA and barrel upgrades.

AutoCocker Builder
2nwyka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 07:36 AM #29
rkenders
Northern Colorado

Do you have access to compressed air at 3000 or 4500 psi? If not CO2 works too, but I wouldn't get 9oz bottles. Get 20oz bottles. The cost to fill them is only a little more than a 9oz and they last a lot longer. Also, CO2 is usable on only a few guns such as Tippmann 98, A5, X7, etc. Most guns now days run off of compressed air and CO2 will damage them.

Tippmann A5's make a good starter gun that runs co2. A dangerous Power G4 makes a good starter gun that runs on air. The startup cost for the A5 is going to be a lot less since co2 tanks are cheap and the A5 includes a loader. Most guns don't include a loader and you have to buy one. Electric loaders are all over the price spectrum ($15-$200) depending on specifics. If you are going to play woods ball, get a harness and pods so you can carry extra paint with you. When I started playing a long time ago, I would try to shoot less than a hopper per game, but as time went by I was taking out more players and so I shot a lot more too and needed more paint. Get a mask with a fan or add a fan to your mask. If there is anything that will ruin your game, it's not being able to see because you are all fogged up. Everything else is fluff.
Old 02-08-2012, 08:31 AM #30
epikfailpaintball
Now OptimalPB

epikfailpaintball has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
epikfailpaintball has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
You honestly dont need all that suff. If you like to dive I might invest in some slider pads. Hope this helps
epikfailpaintball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 08:56 AM #31
roth_GBA
You lookin at me?

roth_GBA has achieved Level 5 in PbNation Pursuit
roth_GBA is Legendary
yea i didn't have elbow/knee pads for the first 7 years of playing and there deffinetely not necessary.

Then the chest protector...thats cute..

but back onto subject unless your young, then i can understand chest protector, but other wise grow and damn pair and go play. I have 32 year old guys i play with ask me if you need a chest protector. i say if u want made fun of you will never use a chest protector lol..

Im all about getting new people into the sport and not giving them a hard time, but sometimes its just really hard.
roth_GBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 03:55 PM #32
peachesarenottasty

peachesarenottasty is playing at Living Legends III
peachesarenottasty supports Team VICIOUS
peachesarenottasty supports Pev's Paintball
peachesarenottasty has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
You really don't need all the fancy gear, the serious player might but I can't really think of anything you would need. Maybe an HPA tank
Old 02-08-2012, 04:33 PM #33
Porkins McClarin
HAVOC

Porkins McClarin owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Porkins McClarin posts videos on PbNation
Porkins McClarin has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Porkins McClarin has perfected Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Porkins McClarin has perfected Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by xX_3NRIQU3_TX_Xx View Post
Ive seen lots of fancy/badass gear but is it really necessary I have the important gear like chest protector,tippman mask,gun,2 9oz tanks,pod harness do I need anything else besides fancy jerseys just need advice from experienced players
it depends on if you stay at the level and game type that your playing, however no matter what you do i would ditch the co2 and get an hpa tank!

OPERATION IRAQI FREEDOM 2008-2009 US ARMY PARATROOPER

TEAM HAVOC
FEEL THE PAIN, REMEMBER THE NAME!
Porkins McClarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 06:12 PM #34
azhector

azhector is playing at Living Legends VI
azhector owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
azhector has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
azhector is a top reviewer
i would suggest a jersey over chest protecter if you want more bounces. but no gear is really "necessary" besides mask and gun set up. also pants are helpful so you dont mess up pants.
azhector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 06:21 PM #35
calidrifter
Bloody Wooden Pickles

calidrifter posts videos on PbNation
calidrifter is reppin' sidebar 4 life
calidrifter is a top reviewer
calidrifter supports DLX Technology
He who has the most toys wins. But not really. See the pic a few posts above for the truth.

"Originally posted by B*FordPRO: I dont read the manuals to guns, I just shoot them and hope they work. If not, I have a tech do that for me. (This is what you call baller status and I am a baller)."
calidrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 06:39 PM #36
SKI008

plays in the NXL
Quote:
Originally Posted by roth_GBA View Post
yea i didn't have elbow/knee pads for the first 7 years of playing and there deffinetely not necessary.
Have fun in 10 years needing knee surgery.
Old 02-08-2012, 10:05 PM #37
ImpulseFreek
Tpa Paintball

knee pads are always good along with a good mask

woods ball and national events are basically the same when it come to equipment. saftey first pads mask ect. then it dosent matter

i play 5 national events a year and the only time i ever wear a jersey is when im at a tournament to support my sponsors. no gun will give you the shot if it wasnt yours in the first place.

fact is 4 out of 12 pro teams last year in the nppl shot a 400$ axe when the rest of the teams all shot 1200+ equipment. this season i will be one of the lucky teams shooting a Valken Proton at a national level. a 300 dollar gun when people will be shooting 1200$+ equipment.

moral of the story is play safe, get a good mask play as much as possible.
Tpa Paintball, Where the best players in Ohio played.
1 of 100 Inception Empire Axe
1 of 2 Vegas G6R
Team CRUsh Insight Ng
ImpulseFreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 10:15 PM #38
ImpulseFreek
Tpa Paintball

Quote:
Ditched mine (and cleats) for a nice pair of Vibram FiveFingers KSO Trek. I go hiking, running, paintballing, whatevering, adventuring, and more whatevering... in them. And when you're done, toss in the wash and drier at a low/cold temperature. Good to go. Good to go.
yelo do they work as well as cleats when running and stopping on turf. i run to the cornor every point and stop and shoot people over running but i wouldnt know what to do with out cleats to stop me and lift me up into shooting position?
Tpa Paintball, Where the best players in Ohio played.
1 of 100 Inception Empire Axe
1 of 2 Vegas G6R
Team CRUsh Insight Ng
ImpulseFreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 07:23 AM #39
kpraytor
YOLO... you're an idiot!

kpraytor posts videos on PbNation
kpraytor has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by YeloSno View Post
Try Empire Events and the JT Proflex.

They are, undoubtedly, the two best masks on the market...

At elast to me, and I've worn the i3s, i4s, profits, proflexes, flex7s, flex8s, proflex revolutions, vforce grills, vforce profilers, and some others that I forget.

Just whatever you do, make sure the proflex has 2 straps (by buying a second or something like that...) It will become infinitesimally more comfortable.

Other than that, look to eventually score a decent hopper like an Invert Too, Invert Reloader, or maybe pony up some bills for an end-all be-all loader like a Rotor (v2 or v3), Empire Z2, or a Pboarded Pinokio.

Also, try to make your way up to a solid pod pack like an empire react pack. ANSgear sells REALLY NICE ones, brand new, from 2009 (I have the 2006 model and I'm still running strong with it as my ONLY pod pack LOL) for only $22 for the 5+8 pack. I like the giant 5+8 pack because even if you only use 2 pods, the pack will protect all of your lower back and sides and makes for some really nice full on back support.
^ What he says, take it to the bank! He is simply paraphrasing his end-all paintball heirarcy (?) sticky at the top of this forum.

This amazing thread I speak of can be found here

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. - Thomas Jefferson

When a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security. - Declaration of Independence
kpraytor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 10:31 AM #40
Paper_Cut
Keyboard Warrior

Ignore these plebeians, invest in a nice mask. It will open up your world being able to see and breath properly.
Paper_Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 11:03 PM #41
George6772

George6772 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
George6772 has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by xX_3NRIQU3_TX_Xx View Post
Ive seen lots of fancy/badass gear but is it really necessary I have the important gear like chest protector,tippman mask,gun,2 9oz tanks,pod harness do I need anything else besides fancy jerseys just need advice from experienced players
needed gear mask, whatever gun you roll with is fine for woodsball espcially if nobody else has high end markers, co2 is ok but only for mechcanical (horrid speller) markers never use co2 with electronic guns. pads are great dont need jersey but you can buy scuba tanks to fill tanks with when not near a field i have 1 need like 2 or 3 more (hint to anyone selling lol) but for woodsball just buy things as you feel you need them if you begin to slide alot pads are a must it all depends on how you play and your budget
George6772 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 11:36 PM #42
Coenen
K-K-k-k-YEAH!

Coenen plays in the MiLP
Coenen owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Coenen supports Team VICIOUS
Coenen plays in the APPA D4 division
When you're buying gear it's best to look long term, buy stuff that you're not going to "outgrow" too quickly. With proper upkeep a top end mask and pack will last you for years. That'll serve you better than having "Nooby" stuff, and then intermediate stuff and then having to spring for the good stuff down the road.

As has been said, a quality mask should be your A #1 priority. I'm a V-force guy, so I'll say Profilers are one of your best options, especially since they're now a fair bit cheaper than most of the other masks we've talked about except maybe the Protos. I'd have them over the Protos as well, so there's that. Really though, every brand/type we've mentioned is solid so long as you're comfortable wearing them.

Pod pack, again, stepping up to something nicer like an Empire or NXe will be a smart move.

The gun, I'd say a new barrel and a bigger tank (or tanks), 16 or 20 ounces, wait on HPA if you're going to have your Tippmann for a while. The gun probably matters LESS than a lot of people think. The person behind the gun is what makes it perform. A basic Tippmann with a good size CO2 tank, and a decent barrel may be all you need to carry you for YEARS. Don't get sucked into the hype about "needing" a high-end gun and all of the kit that comes with it. Learn to play the game first, that way the better equipment will be a tool for you to use rather than a status symbol, or worse, a crutch.

I will second pants as being a good investment. Get something in black and be happy. Valken makes several different types in various camo patterns as well now. Not only will they provide durability and protection from paintballs, they are often useful if you're in heavy bush to protect you from the various prickly plants and other natural hazards. They aren't a necessity by any stretch, but definitely are nice to have.

Footwear, boots can't hurt, cleats don't either, pretty much anything that provides the level of comfort, protection and performance you're looking for.

Pads, for your knees definitely, everywhere else a bit more optional. Gloves, depends whether or not you want them. Check out your local auto parts store and look for a pair of armored mechanics' gloves. They can be just the ticket if you want some good hand protection on a budget.

Early on it's more important to be playing and learning as much as you can, you can worry about having all of the goofy crap that guys like me accumulate by the ton later on.
BLACK '07+ Planet Eclipse OOPS

Last edited by Coenen : 02-09-2012 at 11:41 PM.
Coenen is offline   Reply With Quote