Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 04-30-2011, 08:26 PM #1
SplatPlanet

SplatPlanet is a founding member
 has been a member for 10 years
SplatPlanet plays in the APPA D1 division
how to open mq2 valve.

Is there a way to open the solenoid? I received a pump where the wires were spliced and had been broke off. There is not enough wire to resplice unless I open the solenoid. I would rather not break it so if someone has done this before and can guide me it would be greatly appreciated.
SplatPlanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 05-02-2011, 12:25 PM #2
hansolo8221

Do you mean the complete pilot assembly (which is the red housing) or the actual solenoid itself (which is silver and sits inside the pilot housing)? If you are referring to the pilot assembly, then the answer is yes, just unscrew the two halves. If you mean the actual solenoid then the answer is probably no; at least not any way that I am aware of.
hansolo8221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 12:59 PM #3
SplatPlanet

SplatPlanet is a founding member
SplatPlanet plays in the APPA D1 division
thanks. I didnt know if it unscrewed or not. I didnt want to break the internals if it was not meant to be opened.
SplatPlanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 01:51 PM #4
cww516
clever text goes here

cww516 is reppin' sidebar 4 life
just be careful when you screw it back together, the wires could get twisted up inside the housing (not sure if they'd shear, but it's possible).
cww516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 06:55 PM #5
Fearless_Leader
Fortes Fortuna Adiuvat

Quote:
Originally Posted by hansolo8221 View Post
If you mean the actual solenoid then the answer is probably no; at least not any way that I am aware of.
You can but it is difficult.

I can say for certain that if you have a working cocker that shoots just fine you are one of the three, or all of the above. 1- you are not an idiot. 2- you know someone who is not an idiot. 3- you have enough money to pay someone who is not an idiot. - jonotwist
Fearless_Leader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 12:50 PM #6
uberPHAGE 2
better than a macrophage

in the case that the wires sheared into the solenoid, its best to just order a new solenoid and sell the old one. many people have damaged their solenoid housing by trying to pry it open to get to the coils. on the pilot assembly of every mQ2 there are rings engraved. however many rings were engraved on the pilot assembly determines the solenoid you need to request. if there are 2 rings, you need a bin 2 solenoid. 4, you need a bin 4, and so on. solenoids are $40. sorry to hear about the wires, always a pain
uberPHAGE 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 11:06 PM #7
[FHC]mikers85

On a related note... If someone wanted to take the risk (for instance if in the future the solenoids become unattainable) if anyone knows a good procedure for opening the solenoids for repair with decreased likelihood of damage, it would be greatly appreciated if they could share that information so it is available should it someday become necessary. Sharing successful procedures could save the lives of a few solenoids. If a new solenoid is only $40 they probably aren't worth a great deal in a sheared state, so maybe SplatPlanet would even want to give it a shot for the heck of it.
Old 05-04-2011, 11:23 AM #8
uberPHAGE 2
better than a macrophage

ive seen people make about $20 for the sheared noids. people that can repair them will buy them.
Old 05-04-2011, 11:58 AM #9
diabeticbastard
Can't dish it out!

Where would I be able to buy one of the soleniods?
diabeticbastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 11:22 PM #10
uberPHAGE 2
better than a macrophage

not sure if it is still possible actually...you have to email the sales department of MTX. seems like theyve disappeared. if you find the sales department email just give it a try. hopee this helps! i could alwayys find my old email with them to get you the email address if you cannot find it
Old 05-17-2011, 12:35 AM #11
Fearless_Leader
Fortes Fortuna Adiuvat

Quote:
Originally Posted by [FHC]mikers85 View Post
On a related note... If someone wanted to take the risk (for instance if in the future the solenoids become unattainable) if anyone knows a good procedure for opening the solenoids for repair with decreased likelihood of damage, it would be greatly appreciated if they could share that information so it is available should it someday become necessary. Sharing successful procedures could save the lives of a few solenoids. If a new solenoid is only $40 they probably aren't worth a great deal in a sheared state, so maybe SplatPlanet would even want to give it a shot for the heck of it.
Correct you not going to get much. If it sheared that far in take a crack at it, go slow and pay attention. You can pop the front cap (the valve side) off and from there get to the core. It takes quite a bit of force.

I can say for certain that if you have a working cocker that shoots just fine you are one of the three, or all of the above. 1- you are not an idiot. 2- you know someone who is not an idiot. 3- you have enough money to pay someone who is not an idiot. - jonotwist
Fearless_Leader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 02:11 AM #12
suprteck

i've repaired my valve, just need to pry off the cap and remove the yellow tape and resolder the wires to the coils

I got this off of Custom cockers

If you didn't pay attention regarding sheared wires during installation, and you shear them off.
- Good news, you can fix it, no matter how low you cut the wires. I'll make an illustrated guide next time I break mine
down, but here's the instructions (if you can't solder, find someone who can, but it's not hard):
1. Remove the pilot assembly and unscrew it.
2. Remove the solenoid.
3. Take a small flathead screwdiver, and stick it in the opening the wires are coming out of and pry that cap off. Don't
worry if you do further damage to the wires while doing this, but try not to if you can avoid it (I've found that nearly
impossible). Either way, it's fine.
4. Pull the solenoid out of its casing. It is a plastic tube wrapped in tape.
5. If you sheared the wires off extremely low (I'll assume you did), tear off just enough tape to expose enough wire for
you to work with. Strip enough insulation from both ends to twist them together. You don't need a lot.
6. Solder the junction. It is important to not leave excess solder. If you do on your first attempt, just heat it back up
and try to drip off the excess.
7. The reason to not leave excess is that you'll need to tuck the junction back into the tube. Now wrap one (and only one)
layer of tape around the solenoid to hold everything in place (I used medical tape, but anything should work so long as
it's not super thick), and place the solenoid back in the case and replace the cap. If the solenoid just won't go back in,
your tape is probably too thick. Find something thinner. But it's ok if it's a snug fit.
8. Reassemble the pilot assembly. Make sure you torque the assembly closed pretty well (I used two pliers) to avoid it
twisting the solenoid during reinstallation. I like to line the wires up on the opposite side of where they'll twist to
when doing this. The solenoid will twist a bit while torquing the assembly closed, and this should leave them dead center
in the assembly opening when done.

Where to get parts:
- If you've sheared the wires beyond repair, or just don't want to mess with soldering. You can order a new solenoid from
Magnetic Sensor Systems. The part is not in their catalog, so you'll likely need to email them. The part number is S-10-50-30PBX and it's $49. Apparently, the solenoids are also binned and cased based on this, so in the event you need a new solenoid, it may be best to contact MTX directly if you can reach them.

Last edited by suprteck : 06-12-2011 at 02:16 AM.
suprteck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 03:37 PM #13
baller081

nice find suprteck. Thanks for the info.
Old 02-25-2012, 11:07 AM #14
superscifi12

superscifi12 supports Team VICIOUS
I know I'm necro posting but does anyone know the measurements of the different bins and what the other measurements that they effect as my noid has stopped working and am gonna get one from magnetic sensor systems..
Thanks
superscifi12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 05:51 AM #15
R-M-I
Angry Norwegian

Annual Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by superscifi12
I know I'm necro posting but does anyone know the measurements of the different bins and what the other measurements that they effect as my noid has stopped working and am gonna get one from magnetic sensor systems..
Thanks
Stopped working how? Are the wires sheared?
I don't see any other ways of messing up a MQ2..

MiniHalfblockMQ-cocker | Warped Sportz Dark Ego 6 |Freeflow MQ project cocker

Splat.no(translated via google-translate) -> http://translate.google.com/translat...3796&act=u rl

I <3 MQ-valves!
R-M-I is offline   Reply With Quote