PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 02-12-2013, 01:23 PM #1
floridapbguy

g3/g4 vs axe

Greetings to all,

As the title says I'm looking at each of the 3 markers to upgrade from my spyder. I only get to play every other weekend due to work(recball and speedball). I've read every review on each of the 3 markers and all seem to be great with the occasional bad review, but every marker is going to fail without proper care and cleaning.

I am able to find the DP markers pretty cheap as most know and was kind of sold on the axe until my buddy found a g3 for like $120 in perfect condition. It shoots fast and hasn't had any issues as of yet. The axe seems great as well but has a bit higher price tag. Money isn't a huge deal it's just that I'll only be using it every other week and will not be playing in any crazy tournaments.

If anyone has experience with one or all of the listed markers please give me some input. Thanks in advance!!!
floridapbguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 02-12-2013, 02:12 PM #2
blueshifty
John - conscious paradox

has been a member for 10 years
Every other weekend is more than most people that will give you advice. If it were me, I'd go with an axe because I like the way it shoots better.

blueshifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 02:23 PM #3
floridapbguy

Old 02-12-2013, 02:39 PM #4
FriendlyNudist

I assume your Spyder still works. If so, $120 dollars isn't a bad investment on a knock around gun, but personally I wouldn't want to be in a situation where I spend a little money on an incremental upgrade now and then a few months down the line feel the urge to upgrade again.

If this was your very first gun and you didn't know if you were going to play that often, or if your current gun was broken and just needed something to point and shoot, I'd say go with the G3. If you didn't like it, you could always keep it around as a backup gun. However, since you're looking for something nicer than what you currently have, I say go ahead and treat yourself to the best you can comfortably afford (whether it be a G4 or an axe or a Luxe). If you continue playing for any extended period of time, putting up more money up front might save you less in the long run.
FriendlyNudist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 02:42 PM #5
savage24x

savage24x has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
savage24x has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
savage24x has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
savage24x supports Ninja Paintball
If you're looking to keep playing the sport for awhile and maybe more after that, I would go with an axe. If you plan to stay a recballer and not really get partially-serious with the sport, then get the G3.

IUP Crimson Hawks

#LGR
savage24x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 04:30 PM #6
[NA]WARLORD

[NA]WARLORD is a founding member
[NA]WARLORD owns a Planet Eclipse - Emek
[NA]WARLORD supports Ninja Paintball
Get the Axe, either way you go, your still going to want something dependable. I have seen at my local field, more DP's waiting to get fixed vs actual playtime, whether it was the gun or the user is irrelevant to me.
[NA]WARLORD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 11:44 PM #7
floridapbguy

thanks to all!
Old 02-13-2013, 10:35 AM #8
dps093
I like Flexes

dps093 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
dps093 plays in the APPA D4 division
dps093 is one of the top 1000 posters on PbNation
dps093 is Boss
dps093 supports Ninja Paintball
dps093 supports Empire
Axe all the way
dps093 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 05:53 PM #9
Roninwarrior7

I was seriously considering the G5 but was put off by DP's support and quality issues. For all intents I've read they've addressed most quality issues on late run G4's but still, would you really want to find out first hand for $300+?

The Axe is a great gun to boot. Nice to hold, shoots smoothly, quietly, and efficiently. And it's easy to maintain. Imo, it's in a different class from those markers.
Roninwarrior7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 06:43 PM #10
itsjonbro
Bring Me Violence

itsjonbro is playing at Living Legends VI
itsjonbro owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
itsjonbro supports Team VICIOUS
itsjonbro supports DLX Technology
Just sold my g3 for 100$ but if you can pick up an axe, But if isnt truly worth the cash then a g4

http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Isjonbro.jpg
itsjonbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 07:52 AM #11
Weroliera (Banned)

I have an axe
When I was comparing I was not comparing to any dp
I was comparing etek4 drone dx and axe
Finally got the axe
I play every week or every other week as well
I have already 7 cases In my axe I am super duper happy. I only opened the bolt and lubbed it one time I was scared I didn't really know if I did it right (but it shot after so meh). It isn't to sensible like I have heard some guns are
And once I learn more i am sure I can relube in less than a minute
Weroliera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 07:12 PM #12
avengeddisciple

avengeddisciple owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
avengeddisciple has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
get a hold of the markers and try them if you can. the g3 fits my hands just right and i have never ever had an issue with it. from experience I would say g3 would be good. They are super easy to work on. good luck good sir
Old 02-17-2013, 01:45 AM #13
Roninwarrior7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weroliera View Post
I have an axe
When I was comparing I was not comparing to any dp
I was comparing etek4 drone dx and axe
Finally got the axe
Yeah, how this sort of went for me is I was comparing it to the Mini. Then that sort of lead to the Axe. (Sort of)
Roninwarrior7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 02:10 AM #14
Weroliera (Banned)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roninwarrior7 View Post
Yeah, how this sort of went for me is I was comparing it to the Mini. Then that sort of lead to the Axe. (Sort of)
lol what sold me to the axe was that it was designed to shoot brittle paint not like etek4 and other guns in the price range
I KNOW MANY PEOPLE SHOOT SUPER BRITTLE PAINT WITH THEIR GUNS
and theyre lucky but the axe was actualy designed to do so

and also being at the time that my a 5 would break 5 out of ten balls this just fit right what i needed 7 cases in 0breaks
Weroliera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 08:24 AM #15
SNAKESNIPER (Banned)

DP stuff is cheap for a reason: IT'S CHEAP.
SNAKESNIPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 09:49 AM #16
dps093
I like Flexes

dps093 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
dps093 plays in the APPA D4 division
dps093 is one of the top 1000 posters on PbNation
dps093 is Boss
dps093 supports Ninja Paintball
dps093 supports Empire
Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAKESNIPER View Post
DP stuff is cheap for a reason: IT'S CHEAP.
This
dps093 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 05:16 PM #17
TacSlayer

TacSlayer owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
I happen to currently own both. Honestly, the major problem you will find with the G4 is the reg. Its cheap, plastic, and is rather pathetic;while on the other hand, the axe is all internal, making it alot easier to maintain and play with. It may cost more, but the Axe is more dependable and better made. So, unless you want an air leak every 2 or 3 games( and when I say an air leak, i mean gushing out air and losing 2/3 of your tank's pressure) then I would take the safer, more dependable route of the Axe.
TacSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 07:59 PM #18
tlmiller
Foul tempered old one

tlmiller has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Not even a competition here. Axe is so superior to the Gx, it's not even funny.
tlmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:46 AM #19
benzy2
angry bird

First, the g4 isn't plastic. The reg isn't plastic. It's aluminum like most others.

If it were me, I'd want to buy the Axe but I'd end up justifying the DP G3/4, which is what I've done. Is the axe a better gun out of the box? Yes. It has a better trigger, it has a better feel when shooting, it has a far better customer support system backing it up. I still passed on it for a DP.

Think about the reasoning you've seen above as to why not to get the G3/4. Others have either heard or seen DP G3/4 markers with problems, not owned markers with problems. The typical problems are simple and easily prevented. Should you have to do this to get a marker running well? No. But it's also quick and easy to get around with a light use of Dow 33.

When I compare my G4 to an Axe, I don't feel it's performance on field is any different than the Axe. The trigger may not be as nice, but I shoot the same 13-14bps in semi as with any other trigger and it shoots in ramping like any other ramping setting. The Asa on both is a bottom flip lever. No problems with the one on the G4 so again, a draw. The feed neck on the g4 is a very nice lever lock. Again, draw. I have a techt engine in mine. With that, the shot quality is outstanding. I can't say I've missed because of marker recoil where something else would have been a hit. Again, draw. Both stock barrels are stock barrels. Nothing amazing, both shootable, both are something often replaced early on, draw. The g4 is more compact and is light. The axe is a little longer and light weight. Personal preference as to what you want, the g4 fits me fine and so does the axe. Functionally, I can't claim the G4 lacks in any way that effects my on field performance.

The real difference is customer support. Empire is by far better. DP support is bad to nonexistent. I've never sent a marker in to any company in the 15 years I've played. I've never taken one to a proshop to be fixed or tuned. To me, it's not a huge deal and replacement/spare parts are very cheap for the DP. I was turned off by the Axe with the fact Empire wants you to send it in if something is wrong with the reg. Clearly that isn't what I'm looking for. I'll opt for cheap parts rather than good service but a maintenance schedule that requires me to send the marker in once a year.

The DP G4 was the marker for me. With the techt engine I have a total of $190 in that marker to my door. That was at a time when a used Axe was holding a $350+ price tag. I'm very glad I bought the G4 and for the same price I would do it all over again. I don't think you can go wrong buying an axe either. They have a great track record so far and Empire has supported them very well. Either marker should be a good choice with one being a slightly better fitting choice.
benzy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 12:10 PM #20
Kevin_Rocha

Kevin_Rocha owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
Kevin_Rocha plays in the APPA beginner division
Kevin_Rocha has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
dp sucks empire is way better!
Kevin_Rocha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:42 PM #21
rexisme

rexisme supports DLX Technology
Axe....

Look on ebay, they can be had in the low 3 hundred dollar range bnib.