Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 04-09-2012, 02:15 PM #1
Brad- Division
Shootin Faces since 89'

has been a member for 10 years
Brad- Division owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Looking for Nelson Paint Experts

Ive been shooting Nelson Paintballs since the late 80's and have seen little change in the quality of the paint over the years which is a GREAT thing

But I have not been able to shoot their for the last few seasons, I placed an order and will be shooting 4-5 of their brands this weekend.

What is your experience with the paint good or bad, and the more experience that you have the more weight that your opinion will carry for me, so just a quick blurb about your experience with paint, will help let me know.

Specifically, in 2000-2004 we were shooting Nelson Paintballs almost exclusively Anarchy, But the Silver shell / Pink Fill which is now outlawed by just about everywhere. And have NEVER shot a paint as good as it.

Now they have a Silver Ball / White Fill (Turmoil) which I haven't shot before.

The Fill of Anarchy the (pink and orange fill) has always been Toothpaste thick and the ball did not bounce off target. Is that how it continues to be ?

If you have used nelson over the last 10 seasons I would like to hear from you.
Brad- Division is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 04-11-2012, 02:14 PM #2
Brad- Division
Shootin Faces since 89'

Crickets
Old 04-11-2012, 02:50 PM #3
georgeyew

georgeyew supports Pev's Paintball
I have not used Nelsons personally, but I have been shot with them. Being on the receiving end of the Nelson Special Ops paint sucks. The fill is so thick and bright and it definitely looks like the paint was flying very straight. If the Special Ops are that good, I can only imagine what the Anarchy is like. I have only heard good things about it. I wish that my local fields would stock Nelson paint.
georgeyew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 04:06 PM #4
Brad- Division
Shootin Faces since 89'

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgeyew View Post
I have not used Nelsons personally, but I have been shot with them. Being on the receiving end of the Nelson Special Ops paint sucks. The fill is so thick and bright and it definitely looks like the paint was flying very straight. If the Special Ops are that good, I can only imagine what the Anarchy is like. I have only heard good things about it. I wish that my local fields would stock Nelson paint.
Even this helps...

Was it blue fill or green ?

Did it stain ?
Old 04-11-2012, 07:41 PM #5
d33p

We shot about 80 cases over the past 2 years and its still great paint. The Anarchy isnt toothpaste anymore but it isnt watery either. I do agree that the upheavel (silver/pink fill) is my favorite. The orange fill is next best and I cant stand the other Anarchy fills. Flies very straight and breaks on target.

For the money, hemmorage is the best paint. (pink or green)
d33p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 07:54 PM #6
krupasjeans
happy day

I bought a case of Nel-Splat years ago at a store that has since gone out of business. It was my only experience using Nelson paint. I believe I bought it because of the price (i.e. as cheap as some other bargain paint from the big distributors)

There we no dimples in the case at all. It did seem like good quality paint.
I used it strictly for testing my markers in 'the backyard' since I usually go to FPO fields.

I believe it shot well but I also remember thinking that the shells seemed a bit stiff. I couldn't tell you how well it broke on people or if the fill was any good.
krupasjeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 10:22 PM #7
Shawn_Savage
RUSHian Mob

Shawn_Savage plays in the PSP
 plays in the NXL
Shawn_Savage plays in the APPA D4 division
Shawn_Savage is Legendary
I've used Anarchy and the grade below it in the last year or so and I thought it was great every time I used it. Anarchy stills claims the "thickest fill in the world" but it's not true. It's nothing to shake a stick at but definitely not the toothpaste anymore.

Great paint overall. No one really carries it anymore but it's quality stuff
Shawn_Savage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 11:02 PM #8
R3L
CCM is not a verb

I shot Anarchy white/white and orange/orange(?) last year and both were great paints. At least as good as Evil.
Old 04-11-2012, 11:08 PM #9
Brad- Division
Shootin Faces since 89'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn_Savage View Post
I've used Anarchy and the grade below it in the last year or so and I thought it was great every time I used it. Anarchy stills claims the "thickest fill in the world" but it's not true. It's nothing to shake a stick at but definitely not the toothpaste anymore.

Great paint overall. No one really carries it anymore but it's quality stuff
What would you compare the fill to?
Old 04-12-2012, 06:52 AM #10
Shawn_Savage
RUSHian Mob

plays in the NXL
Orange Evil
Old 04-12-2012, 12:04 PM #11
Brad- Division
Shootin Faces since 89'

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn_Savage View Post
Orange Evil
Normal, or Ultra Evil ?
Old 04-12-2012, 01:41 PM #12
Shawn_Savage
RUSHian Mob

plays in the NXL
Normal orange evil. Not the clear shell, yellow fill evil but the tournament grade orange evil.

Ultra evil is yellow filled but Anarchy has nothing on it. Also Ultra evil is better described as "sun screen" type of fill whereas your All Star type of ball has that thick, toothpaste type of fill that turns to chalk shortly after exposure to air.
Old 04-12-2012, 05:34 PM #13
Brad- Division
Shootin Faces since 89'

I'll find out this weekend, at least on the Nelson Paint

Plus it is supposed to be on the cool side

Low, 50's

We will see if that has any affect
Old 04-15-2012, 09:42 PM #14
Brad- Division
Shootin Faces since 89'

So it was a cool Saturday in Colorado playing at Blitz Paintball in Dacono.

My buddy and I have been looking forward to shooting Nelson paint again, since it has been about 5-6 seasons since we last shot it, and after experiencing the field paint we couldn't wait to do it again.

We used a multitude of markers this weekend including a 92' bob long sig series cocker converted to pump, Loaded DM 3’s, 07 Vicious EGO & AGD rt, and the paint was also used in a couple spyders and tippmans. My buddy had some friends meet us and his kids wanted to shoot something different than the field choice. So we let them try it, not knowing how it was going to be out of the higher pressure markers, but their reviews were glowing!!!

To start out: 55 degrees cool and little wind in the morning Sun shining

Eye ball test: all the paint looked good, round good seams and there were a few small dimples here and there not on all the paint brands, but that is normal contrary to some beliefs. No performance differences were noticed on any of the paint with or without dimples. Just rotate the paint, and problem solved!

Fill test: The lower brands had a thinner fill but the fill color was the same as higher brands, at Special Forces a great jump in thickness from Nel Splat, I imagine Henmorage is right between the two fills. Anarchy was probably the thickest but definitely the brightest of all the fills.

Bounce test: Normally it is a hold above your head and drop on a hard surface and we did that with the anarchy and a few broke and a few bounced and then broke. We didn't bother testing the other brands.

At the field I was interested in what I call the "flick test" hold your arm straight out with a ball and without moving your arm "flick" the paint to the ground, most other paints bounce. I was very surprised to see that every brand broke when I did this. From Dread to Anarchy it broke, and not on concrete but in the dirt parking lot, at the field.

They broke so well that I was a little concerned that all of the paint maybe too fragile, I was totally wrong. Throughout the day, 4 cases 6 different paintballs and all different guns "0" breaks ... None!!

Paintball Details

Fill Test : Sitting on T-Shirt for 10 Min

L-R : XO-Spectrum (White ?), Dread, Nel Splat (White), Turmoil, Fury, Nel Splat (Blue), Special Forces (Blue)

Dread (orange shell / white fill) Sized Back: .689

Nel Splat (silver white / white fill & silver blue / blue fill) Sized Back: .689

Special Forces (pearl gold shell & thick blue fill) Sized Back: .685- .689

Anarchy
(Fury & Turmoil) Sized Back: .685

Some like to over bore and some like to under bore, I found that over boring was making the balls more consistent over the chronograph and that is what I’m after. On my DM3 I have a Sidewinder Regulator and AKA LPR Tuned and I was achieving + or – 3-5 FPS over the Chronograph.

Now on to the actual game play, at Blitz there are many fields to play on, one NPPL, one PSP, Hyperball, spools and large rec- ball with downed helicopter and two story buildings and more. We did not get a chance to play the psp field for there were teams practicing for a tournament the next week and for the upcoming PSP.

I preferred to play on the Hyperball field, set up like Old-school 10 man field size and for people that know it's almost impossible to shoot the length of a field (that big!!)

I conducted live fire experiments on the fields while playing, first was staying in my breakout spot after laneing on the break, hammering away and getting very tight streams. When in my primary bunker, I picked shots and 90% of them were long balling and it was interesting, when I was raining in paint I saw paint exploding from the ground, another sign of great paint.

Also when I did move up the field and on the long shots, I was hitting the back netting and the paint was also breaking on the netting that was bowed from the gentle breeze. (that's something good to see) throughout the day I was dropping in shots with blind shots and just trying to reach that most difficult shot, and consistently watching it truly rain and watching all the brands break on anything it landed on. Of course the thicker and brighter the fill the easier it was to see at distances.

Another trial I did was there was a flag pole on one field, I stood about 20 yards away and tried to hit with each shot, testing tightness of streams. All grades passed great meaning a good barrel at 20 yards, you can expect really tight stream. I walked it out to about 40 yards and similar result, now I was missing more now, shooting a wrist sized target at 40 yards, ball after ball is truly hard; and if I did miss it was only by few inches to the left or right. I did not experience any balls that took off, or winged, if I was shooting at something after 2-3 balls it was hit!

Game play reviews will be following, Just wanted to get things started for the people who have been asking. Want to know something, Ask and I will include in my other update.

Last edited by Brad- Division : 04-18-2012 at 05:16 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 04-16-2012, 09:38 AM #15
georgeyew

georgeyew supports Pev's Paintball
I am very encouraged to see that the Nelson sizes are around .689. There are not many paint being made in that size anymore.
georgeyew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 12:01 PM #16
Brad- Division
Shootin Faces since 89'

Part 2 of 2 Nelson Paint Review

In other game experiences, I found that the paint was easy to track the brighter the paint the better but all of them I could track. Snap shooting, I found that all the paint flew where I was wanting it to go, if I was shooting quick or slow they seem to follow a true flight path and had no super squirrely paint. (Very Consistent…)

I had the occasion of shooting cross field at players bunkering other players and when leading them I very easily saw the paint going in and breaking on them, another good eye ball test.

So in conclusion:

I would say that I was more impressed with the lower grades of Nelson paint than I thought I would be. Reason is that I was expecting “A Lot” from the Anarchy since I was so familiar with it, and knew what the capabilities of it are; and I was not let down. But expecting a bounce fest from the lower end I can honestly say that I didn’t see any bounces. From Dread on up when a target presented itself it flew true and broke well.

Paint Grades: (my paint snob opinion only)

Dread – (B+) - As nelsons entry level paint, that is a virgin shell, this paint amazed me. If you get what I had and are not impressed than you’re a bigger paint snob than me. It is what I would say GREAT practice paint should be with players that you don’t need the super thick fill for. The Orange was bright enough to be very happy, the fill was on the thin side but the color was not bland like many other low end paints.

Nel Splat – (B) - I feel that I am a little hard on this grade, why you ask? Well it has a two tone shell, where half is the fill color and the other half is pearl silver and the fill is a little thicker than the dread. It tracks well and has a good fill, Great for a field paint, I mean GREAT if fields shot this I think everyone would say how good it is. It is a little more expensive than the Dread and doesn’t give the Tournament player more than the dread so that is why I gave it the grade that I did.

Special Forces – (A-) - This is the surprise of the weekend, shoots well and tracks well. It would have been an A with the fill that it has which is close to the Anarchy fill but not as bright and not quite as thick as the anarchy but I would have no problem shooting this in an event. But since I am truly a paint snob, if I had a choice I would shoot Anarchy all day long and twice on Sunday!

Anarchy- (A+) - not a perfect 10 but damn close, is there room for improvement, only on the fill… Remember that I have shot just about every high-end paint out over the last 20 seasons and there and there are only a few that have anything on Anarchy and the only thing they did is the fill. The other paints are only the Event paints that I have shot in the past. As I am thinking about the others I would have to rate them as follows.

My Top Paints All- Time:

The Original Evil – Marballizer Shell and Iodine Yellow fill that stained EVERYTHING it touched truly Evil. Only a few teams were ever lucky enough to shoot it.
( Last Shot in the late 90’s )

Ultimate Chronic – Very Similar to the Anarchy in Appearance but a little thicker in the fill and it became chalky when exposed to air. VERY difficult to wipe (Last Used early 2000’s)

Anarchy – I preferred the Upheaval blend, Pearl Silver Shell and Wicked Pink fill. I think that it was a little thicker of a fill in the early 2000’s because we had pro teams that we were practicing against actually comment on the fill and the breaking properties of the paint. The Fury blend of paint is actually A LOT like the event Hellfire of old from Diablo in color and performance. I had to think of anything it looks like your shooting fireballs. It seems to glow and when it breaks you can’t help but see the fill at any spot on the field is the fill thick, yes. Is it Super, Ultra Thick? Not compared to my top paints but I think that for the paint that most everyone can get yes it would be the thickest of those paints.

In conclusion, when you can get Anarchy online around $60 I think that it would be the best paint for the price. Give me another paint at or below that and I will try it, but I doubt it would be a better all-around ball. It comes from the US which is less and less likely with the most popular paints, because some would like to shoot the cheapest paint available and they have to get it from overseas to meet those price points. But do you think that a paint that takes weeks to get here to the US on a boat, and exposed to the elements will ever be as fresh as paint a few weeks old that you can get from here in the US ? I think not…

I know that price is almost everyone’s #1 deciding factor in buying paint, from the field owner to the end user (player) But for the service from nelson and the CONSISTENT quality from nelson to me it is easy to justify a few dollars more a case.

Money isn’t that big of a factor for me because, I will choose to shoot Anarchy at practices and anytime I play and can shoot it. If I was seriously concerned about cash, I would shoot Dread for practice and be 100% happy with it. But looking for some SERIOUS paint for some serious games than Anarchy would be the ball. With that being said I am also going to take advantage of their other good program and have Nelson make me a Custom ball, I have to order 100 cases but that is a small price to pay to be able to shoot GREAT paint week after week.

Thanks for reading my review, I haven’t done this before in my almost 10 seasons here on the Nation’ but I couldn’t stand some of the paint that I had to shoot and I am very lucky to be able to bring my own paint to my new local field. If there is anything that I missed or any comments let me know. If you feel it shouldn’t be posted here than send me a PM and we will discuss.
Old 04-18-2012, 10:12 AM #17
Doobie

Doobie is a founding member
Doobie supports our troops
As a Master Blaster, I shoot Nelson whenever we are allowed to by the event. When we first started using it, I had not shot any Nelson since around 2003/4 time frame. Since then I have been shooting almost exclusively RPS brands of paint. Let me first state that RPS is good paint and continues to be. I had been shooting my '06 ego since, well '06, and almost exclusively RPS premium, Marbs, or Evil. For the first event I got to shoot Nelson, we had the Hemorage brand that is two steps below Anarchy if I remember correctly. Let me say it has been a long time since I put some paint in my gun and saw a noticeable difference while shooting. I actually looked at a team mate of mine after getting halfway through the first hopper and said, "Holy S***" this stuff shoots straight!" I haven't had that reaction in a while!
I can't come close to the review posted above, but I will say that the recent Nelson I have shot with the Blasters at events and the UWL Pitt flew straight, broke great, and is super high on the list of paintballs I can recommend to others!
Honorary member of the 518 Brigade

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
Doobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 11:39 AM #18
Brad- Division
Shootin Faces since 89'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doobie View Post
As a Master Blaster, I shoot Nelson whenever we are allowed to by the event. When we first started using it, I had not shot any Nelson since around 2003/4 time frame. Since then I have been shooting almost exclusively RPS brands of paint. Let me first state that RPS is good paint and continues to be. I had been shooting my '06 ego since, well '06, and almost exclusively RPS premium, Marbs, or Evil. For the first event I got to shoot Nelson, we had the Hemorage brand that is two steps below Anarchy if I remember correctly. Let me say it has been a long time since I put some paint in my gun and saw a noticeable difference while shooting. I actually looked at a team mate of mine after getting halfway through the first hopper and said, "Holy S***" this stuff shoots straight!" I haven't had that reaction in a while!
I can't come close to the review posted above, but I will say that the recent Nelson I have shot with the Blasters at events and the UWL Pitt flew straight, broke great, and is super high on the list of paintballs I can recommend to others!
The first time I ran into the Master Blasters was in 1991 in Tn

Great bunch of guys, There are less and less of us dinosaurs that are used to playing at one time with no masks!

I wish that I had kept in contact with some of the guys I met so long ago, Stand up players and a Stand up team.

If you ever need a certified "Old School Baller" to help at a UWL event, hit me up.

Thanks for supporting my review, and it holds weight that players who have played over a DECADE validate what I am saying.

I don't work for Nelson,
I just don't want to shoot Sub-Par paint anymore, and thanks to the Nelson line of paintballs I don't have to spend a arm and a leg to shoot great paint!

Last edited by Brad- Division : 04-18-2012 at 11:41 AM. Reason: Format
Old 04-18-2012, 12:11 PM #19
Doobie

Doobie is a founding member
Doobie supports our troops
Brad, check out the Master Blaster's facebook page to see what the guys are up to. Most of the guys have been around since the beginning and are great fun to play with.
Honorary member of the 518 Brigade

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
Doobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 03:22 PM #20
Brad- Division
Shootin Faces since 89'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doobie View Post
Brad, check out the Master Blaster's facebook page to see what the guys are up to. Most of the guys have been around since the beginning and are great fun to play with.
Will Do, Thanks Again.

Side Note :

One more thing, I have been requested to do some sort of Video test for the paint, I think that people are surprised to hear that Nelson is a "Quality Paint"

I know that they don't have the market share that they should, but I chalk this up to factors that Nelson doesn't give free paint away to Professional teams, this in turn MAY give them a little more leverage, to me I don't think this is necessary. Why you ask? Because teams are ALWAYS looking for the bigger better deal and I don't think that we would get a true representation of the paint.

So I went to Youtube to see some Nelson paintball reviews, and to be honest I thought my eyes were going to bleed they were so bad... So I thought I would try something myself.

I have no interest in making a video where I regurgitate facts that I have already covered. The Paint is the focus of the video, If you have any ideas for how to do some reviews, or what you would like to see. Either post or PM me...
Old 04-19-2012, 12:21 PM #21
Brad- Division
Shootin Faces since 89'

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3L View Post
I shot Anarchy white/white and orange/orange(?) last year and both were great paints. At least as good as Evil.
Coming from you that's a strong testimonial!

In Typical Paintball fashion, if you need any testers for that new gat; Let me know...

Last edited by Brad- Division : 04-19-2012 at 12:25 PM.