PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 11-06-2009, 03:28 PM #22
phuct
PSN: CASWELLHOUSE

has been a member for 10 years
agreed 100 percet with the above couple posts.
but to say scrims are worthless is a little off. you can have the best technical players in the game, but if they have no mindset for real time action then those skills are being limited to the ingame knowledge of the players. without scrims, instinct (slightly wrong term here) gets tossed out the window.
i am all for drills, i prefered them over scrims when i was playing alot, but at the same time scrims are an essential practice tool as well.
but if you are only playing against the same team over and over again, you lose out on alot. yeah you are scrimmaging but against the same set of players week in and week out and you get used to the style and the players to watch on that team and play your game accordingly.
practice squads would work if your team had a great set of scouts and a practice squad as good as the teams you are scouting. this works in other major sports but it hasnt worked in the lower levels of paintball yet.

multiple team drills:
can work but there are several obstacles. new england paintball is soooo like high school. to cliquey.
bring in a coach to run it......but what teams coach. jj from crisis? me and butch from woburn? dave from f4? jeffs crew? (sorry not listing everyone here). now you have players who wont listen to one of these coaches and can drop the quality of the drill down because of attitude.
would one weekend a month be sufficient for a group drill session? could these be what the field owners rotate practices throughout the season? maynard in april. f4 in may, camelot in june....... would players and field owners alike be willing to spread this out this way.

structure:
to touch back on the whos coach to do it thing
do we break all the coaches up. butch and i run one aspect while dave, jj and jeff all work on other aspects. this way different skill sets are being worked on at different "stations" all at once?

would teams who are in direct competition with each other be able to work together this way. say 187 and riptide are both in the eastern conference in the axbl.....would they be willing to help each other out?

ran out of steam.

snatchin kisses whenever i can....... and vice versa
phuct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 11-06-2009, 03:45 PM #23
sumorai
FRENCHIE

sumorai is a Moderator
sumorai is playing at Living Legends V
sumorai is playing at Living Legends VI
Quote:
Originally Posted by amontoya View Post
im sure there is a way to run something like that with multiple teams, the bigger question is... is there someone out there with the patience and willingness to run it??... i know from first hand experience that when my dad is not at practice pushing us, it usually isnt a very effectve practice, sure its fun, but not very productive....
I nominate your dad to run it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phuct View Post
agreed 100 percet with the above couple posts.
but to say scrims are worthless is a little off.
My phrasing sucked. I meant "only ever doing scrimmages". Drills for learning situations & skills, scrimmages for application of what you learned.

Quote:
multiple team drills:
can work but there are several obstacles. new england paintball is soooo like high school. to cliquey.
bring in a coach to run it......but what teams coach. jj from crisis? me and butch from woburn? dave from f4? jeffs crew? (sorry not listing everyone here). now you have players who wont listen to one of these coaches and can drop the quality of the drill down because of attitude.
would one weekend a month be sufficient for a group drill session? could these be what the field owners rotate practices throughout the season? maynard in april. f4 in may, camelot in june....... would players and field owners alike be willing to spread this out this way.

structure:
to touch back on the whos coach to do it thing
do we break all the coaches up. butch and i run one aspect while dave, jj and jeff all work on other aspects. this way different skill sets are being worked on at different "stations" all at once?

would teams who are in direct competition with each other be able to work together this way. say 187 and riptide are both in the eastern conference in the axbl.....would they be willing to help each other out?

ran out of steam.
I like that idea.

I am not a MacDev tech. Please do not PM me about their products. Click here instead
sumorai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 03:56 PM #24
Fox4paintball
Home of upTon 187 cRew

Fox4paintball is a Moderator
Fox4paintball is a Professional paintball player
 plays in the NXL
Luckly I believe we'll be in different divisions
Fox4paintball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 04:11 PM #25
phuct

just an example dave
although i believe the franchises that got sold get reranked to the bottom of the pack alphabetically.
but if they dont, then you sir are correct. being 1 and 2 in the axbl you guys would each be the top spots in your respective conferences.

this thread of the week turned int 3 threads of the week? and the way this one is going it may even become a fourth.

a question to the owners/ coaches i this thread.
would you be willing to do multiple team drill days/weekends?
would the canes be willing to drill with lower level teams, would it be beneficial for billy to be snap drilling against one of my guys who only has this year for tourney experience so far. obviously for my guy it would be great, but would it be any help at all to billy? would laning drills by someone who is a very effectice break shooter be effective against someone who needs help in reading lanes while running out to there position?

i would be willing to put any of my guys up against any other player out there. not saying they are better by anymeans, but you only get better by getting beat by better players......who are willing to help you know why they beat you. but is it the better players responsibility to help out "enemy" players?

Last edited by phuct : 11-06-2009 at 04:20 PM.
Old 11-06-2009, 04:43 PM #26
NeCanes
TBO

NeCanes plays in the PSP
NeCanes owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
NeCanes plays in the APPA D4 division
NeCanes is one of the top 500 posters on PbNation
Quote:
Originally Posted by sumorai View Post
You quoted me and inferred that we were "not willing" to go to Fox 4. That is not at all true. We definitely would have gone there to practice them, but no one ever said "hey, come down and practice us at fox 4 this weekend".
why is it there job to get intouch with you and ask you to play. If you want to get better then you get intouch with the better teams and make it happen. You play where they play. Why should they be comming to you? I dont get why this is such a hard concept for people to grasp. If you want to get better find out where the teams that are better then you are playing and go there and watch and play. Dont sit there and hope you get a call from them to come play paintball. Take some initiative and do it yourself. Its pretty simple

as for multiple team drill night it wouldnt be bad but you cant have billy snapping with d3 players all night. It doesnt help him at all. Yeah when the higher ranked players arent drilling they can give pointers but the lower ranked teams need to work there way up the ladder. As for playing together you cant expect the canes to be getting ready for events and playing d3 teams all day. They want to play the highest players/teams they can. So if your a d3 team hook up with a good d2 team and play a few games and d2 play some d1 teams a few games and so on. Thats the only way everyone will get better.

Last edited by NeCanes : 11-06-2009 at 05:00 PM.
NeCanes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 04:57 PM #27
Fox4paintball
Home of upTon 187 cRew

plays in the NXL
Caz - Newark didn't get reranked last year - when the No Name guys bought them out - in fact - Dan Z got to be captain of the allstar team.
Old 11-06-2009, 05:19 PM #28
RiptidepbDotCom

I think that we would absolutely be willing to help each other out because we (being Riptide) realize that we would get nowhere not practicing the best teams regardless of wether there in our division or not. I am actually excited that we are playing the same format as 187 and other new england teams because we have an opportunity to practice them more often.
Old 11-06-2009, 05:19 PM #29
phuct

dave,that is true. i am mistaken.
tbo, i agree with you. that is why i brought it up.
although the players would all be mixxed in the lineup so it would always be someone different you are drilling with every couple minutes. it could work, but would take some fine tuning.

would an owners/coaches committee be something everyone would take part in? would it be beneficial in getting something like this going? it could be something as simple as an aol group.

riptide:gibby?: this will be good for you guys. you have always been trying to get teams down there to play but many couldnt/wouldnt make it due to the slightly different format. you guys reached out to us several times over the start of the past 2 seasons, and not once did we get together. it wasnt worth it for us to drive down and play a different format than what we are preparing for, the practice would have been good for both of us regardless but it is hard to justify the time and expense when it is different.

Last edited by phuct : 11-06-2009 at 05:22 PM.
Old 11-06-2009, 05:23 PM #30
RiptidepbDotCom

RipTide Terry gibs older brother

come to riptide this weekend open play we have a lot of people coming down already 45$ for a case free enrty.
It will be the pro prelim layout from world cup.

Last edited by RiptidepbDotCom : 11-06-2009 at 05:26 PM.
RiptidepbDotCom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 04:23 PM #31
MT_BlueReign8
Practice Hard, Win Easy

MT_BlueReign8 supports Cereal Killerz 2
MT_BlueReign8 supports Team VICIOUS
MT_BlueReign8 is an NCPA player
MT_BlueReign8 plays in the APPA D4 division
I do not know much (well really anything about the state of NE paintball) as I do not live there but I do frequent this forum alot due to its activity and information. Now that my disclaimer is out lol.

I am in the Nashville area of TN and I run the Middle Tennessee State University Program which is compromised of players from 3 different teams ranging from d2 - beginner. We practice every Sunday and the majority of our practices are drills with scrimmages only occurring 2 weeks before an event with a week to fix problems we see. We invite any players/teams who would be interested to come practice with us and typically do not have many issues. The main issue that arises is when teams who are talented players think that the only way to practice paintball is playing games. They do not understand the effectiveness of drills because they have never really worked with them and seen the effectiveness. This is the hardest part of my job as I can see the potential these players have, but I cannot force t hem to drill which leads me to telling them to leave because we practice the way we do because it has proven results. Their are those players who do show up and work hard with us and learn a lot and take it back to their prospective teams/fields or whatever. Players with this attitude teach us many things as well. So multiple team drill practices are possible, but as stated you really need a coach or coach figure their to enforce the drills and handle the nay sayers.

#8 - Chuck Robinson

2010 - SEPS D4 Series Champions
2010 - MSXL D4 Series Runner Up
MT_BlueReign8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 04:46 PM #32
NeCanes
TBO

NeCanes plays in the PSP
NeCanes owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
NeCanes plays in the APPA D4 division
NeCanes is one of the top 500 posters on PbNation
ok so you set up these practice things. How does this apeal to the higher ranked players. How do you get the d1 or higher kids to this. The anwser is you dont. They would get more out of drilling against themselves. This only benifits the lower ranked players because you get to drill with better players. People should take advantage of some of the clinics the canes run and learn the right drill and learn the correct way to do things and get a chance to drill against them and then try those things with their team or groups of teams they practice with.
NeCanes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 05:33 PM #33
pablo1756
G-R-I-M-E-Y

good day at riptide high 60's gorgeous out. Thanks Quicks !
Old 11-08-2009, 06:21 PM #34
Fox4paintball
Home of upTon 187 cRew

plays in the NXL
You where down at Riptide and Pierce was hanging out at Fox 4 all day - can't you get all your ducks in a row?
Old 11-08-2009, 07:41 PM #35
pablo1756
G-R-I-M-E-Y

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox4paintball View Post
You where down at Riptide and Pierce was hanging out at Fox 4 all day - can't you get all your ducks in a row?
I think we can all do a flying-V pretty well!?
Old 11-09-2009, 08:53 PM #36
young devil

COME BACK TO FOX FOUR PLSSSSSS lol that day was so fun
plus i got a free head band from the baack left player
young devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 09:18 PM #37
J. Stein

J. Stein is a Supporting Member
J. Stein is a founding member
J. Stein plays in the PSP
J. Stein donated to help Peyton Trent
Are we done with the topic?
If so, I'll close the thread.
If not, let's get back on subject.

Warzone Facebook
JeSSoP

RIP Ronnie, Paul
CD3 Forever
J. Stein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 02:48 AM #38
Xaerak
Just Live

Xaerak is a Supporting Member
Xaerak supports Bob Gurnsey
My team will travel hours to practice other teams as long as the materials are adequate for a worthwhile practice. We will travel to play the competition and that is how one improves.
Xaerak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 10:34 AM #39
Trauma11
BSB

Trauma11 is a Professional paintball player
 plays in the NXL
Trauma11 plays in the APPA Pro division
Quote:
Originally Posted by pablo1756 View Post
good day at riptide high 60's gorgeous out. Thanks Quicks !
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox4paintball View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by pablo1756 View Post
I think we can all do a flying-V pretty well!?
Riptide was gorgeous sunday, such a nice day for paintball. You guys had the mini flying V going on it was all good.
Brett Messer #22
LA Infamous
Manchester Firm
Pro Shar | Planet Eclipse | Virtue | Push | Nike | Powerhouse | FNDN

RIP Carl DeVellis #3
RIP Bay State Bandits
Trauma11 is offline   Reply With Quote