PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Archived Thread - Cannot Edit  
Old 09-29-2006, 08:13 AM #43
MurderDeathKill
# Pissed Off Today: 2

has been a member for 10 years
It's not about the health or logic of it. It's the principle of the thing -- Government has no business telling me what to eat. Further, they have no business telling restaurants what to sell. Keep in mind, it's not just the fast food chains that will be affected by this -- there are thousands of restaurants in NYC, some of which have been around for a century, that will have to change their recipes as well.

I vote no.
Advertisement
Old 09-29-2006, 08:23 AM #44
travis2k2rf

travis2k2rf is a Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurderDeathKill
Get out of my life, Big Brother!!!
Please, spare me from you ignorance.

They aren't preventing you from doing anything or infringing on any of your rights. They aren't telling the restuarants what they can and cannot make, they are telling them to make the food healthier, it doesn't change anything. If anything, they are improving the lives of people with this measure.

Last edited by travis2k2rf : 09-29-2006 at 08:25 AM.
Old 09-29-2006, 08:44 AM #45
MurderDeathKill

You have been spared.

Why not ban smoking and alcohol, since these are far more deadly? It's a slope going vvvthat wayvvv.

Every regulation of the free market is a step away from the free market.
Old 09-29-2006, 09:09 AM #46
Rugrat

Just think next up will be High Frucose Corn Syrup.... Kiss your Sugar Bomb cereal, 98 oz Mt. Dew, and all the rest good-bye.
Old 09-29-2006, 09:16 AM #47
Kolder
The Commish

Kolder is a Mega Moderator
Kolder is a Supporting Member
Kolder is one of the top 100 posters on PbNation
Kolder is Immortal
It will not happen. And by the slight chance it does, the supreme court would overturn it.

██████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████
████████████████████████
Old 09-29-2006, 11:24 AM #48
hp_lovecraft
Resident old timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugrat
Just think next up will be High Frucose Corn Syrup.... Kiss your Sugar Bomb cereal, 98 oz Mt. Dew, and all the rest good-bye.
Fact is, Coca-cola is the most UNHEALTHLY and FATTENING thing that McDonalds sells. Yet NYC is only focusing on the TYPE of oil used. Hardly makes a difference on the larger scale.

nick
Old 09-29-2006, 11:30 AM #49
Adema3412
Give me fiction

Quote:
Originally Posted by hp_lovecraft
Fact is, Coca-cola is the most UNHEALTHLY and FATTENING thing that McDonalds sells. Yet NYC is only focusing on the TYPE of oil used. Hardly makes a difference on the larger scale.

nick
Trans fat leads to heart disease. This to me is the same thing as the FDA ruling a drug or food to be unsafe.

All they have to do is switch their oils.
on economic subjects while remaining in this state of ignorance.
--Murray Rothbard
Old 09-29-2006, 11:47 AM #50
Swerve22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adema3412
Actually, the oil is in everything, so they're going to have to switch everything. Instead of force people to eat one thing or another, the government should simply inform us of the consequences, and leave us to choose for ourselves. The whole idea of america is you make your own destiny, no the government makes it for you.

www.gunfacts.info
Old 09-29-2006, 11:50 AM #51
Rugrat

And high frucose corn syrup, along with oher sugars, is causing the explossion in type 2 diabetes and obesity.

But maybe this is what this country needs a forced "slimmed down and healthier" Amercia
Old 09-29-2006, 12:43 PM #52
hp_lovecraft
Resident old timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adema3412
Trans fat leads to heart disease. This to me is the same thing as the FDA ruling a drug or food to be unsafe.

You missed the point.
The trans-fat is not NEARLY as unhealthy as the soda.

Why not ban soda? Perhaps it is for political reasons?

While we are there, the buns they use in the sandwhiches are also extremely unhealthy with all those processed refined flours.
So, we ban the flour they use.

And so on.

The proper solution is ordinary education, combined with competition. Do a better job teaching people what is 'good' and what is 'bad', and business will adapt to serve what the customers want.

What NYC is doing is simlpy a waste of money. Hopefully, just a waste of THERE money.

nick
Old 09-29-2006, 02:36 PM #53
scumquat1
My friends call me Scum.

The government is trampling on the rights of both the restaurant owners and their customers. If people want to eat Arsenic burgers, the government shouldn't have anything to say about it.

"Racism is a doctrine of, by and for brutes. It is a barnyard or stock-farm version of collectivism, appropriate to a mentality that differentiates between various breeds of animals, but not between animals and men." - Ayn Rand.
Old 09-29-2006, 03:01 PM #54
PM6 Scenerio Player
Its spelled correctly!!!

Why is evenone getting so pissed about Mickey D's oil when they have changed it before its not that big of a deal. Hey everyone, lets kill an ant with this A-bomb. "Oh, the goverment is ruling my life because they're make my local resturant change their oil" Give me break, please! Real New Yorkers dont give a damn, trust me, I live here everyday and its not even a topic.

There was more of a fuse when smoking wasn't promitted in resturants and public areas.

Years ago NYC banded the possession of paintball markers. This is a paintball site why isn't everyone complaining about that.

Rules change here all the time **** happens, we move on.

This tread should be closed because it is a meaningless arguement that will never end. Here's a better debate, which came first the chicken or the egg?
Old 09-29-2006, 03:41 PM #55
p8ntballtroll
Banned.

IF I WANT TO ****ING EAT CHEESEBURGERS TILL MY ARTERTIES EXPLODE AT MCDONALDS I SHOULD. The government does not have the right to interfer in personal decisions espcially if they are not effecting other people. The only reason health issues effect people is monetarily. We are paying into healthcare programs that pay for peoples triple bipass surgeries. Instead we should be de-liberalizing health care, and stop paying for stupid people who cant control themselves.
You gas up the marker, put on the gloves, strap on the mask, and walk onto the field and it doesn't matter that you failed a test, didn't get the girl, or that you got a ticket on the way there... your world is right for the next couple hours.

Originally posted by PBDojoLP: is anyone else horney? is it weard that im naked right now?
Old 09-29-2006, 04:54 PM #56
Furious S

Quote:
Originally Posted by PM6 Scenerio Player
If people aren't smart enough to know that they aren't eating healthy foods that potentially can be killing them then someone should step in.
No. If you are that ****ing stupid that you don't realize that McDonalds is fatty and can lead to heart problems and the like, then you must have a pretty sizeable case of mental retardation, and really shouldn't be on your own in the first place.
Old 09-29-2006, 06:28 PM #57
sosoDAF
ATL

sosoDAF is a Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by croix153™
Goddamn...

McDonalds Is not making you fat. You are fat because you choose to be. Why can't the government just live & let live. We need laws telling us how to eat like we need laws telling us how to jack off.

Free country my ***.
Old 09-29-2006, 06:33 PM #58
MurderDeathKill

Quote:
Originally Posted by PM6 Scenerio Player
This tread should be closed because it is a meaningless arguement that will never end. Here's a better debate, which came first the chicken or the egg?
...When has anyone ever been convinced of anything over the internet? By that token we could shut down this whole section, because it's all meaningless argument, right?

Naw. The smoking ban was state-wide, which gave it legitimacy. This decision is above the power of the NYC government to make -- they're effectively regulating interstate commerce, a power reserved for Congress. Bad, bad, bad chi.
Old 09-29-2006, 06:34 PM #59
GONZO101

do it!
Old 09-29-2006, 07:00 PM #60
SlingerXL
Stands to reason

SlingerXL is a Supporting Member
This is ridiculous. The problem is that the government has no right to decide what should be highest on a free person's priority list. This law effectively assumes that health is the highest thing on everyone's preference, but clearly that's not true. If I prefer a short, yet delicious and cheap life to a long and fat-sober life, who is the government to tell me which one is right? That's like the government telling me that Oreos are everyone's favorite cookie over Chips Deluxe so they outlaw Chips Deluxe. It's a goddamn freedom of choice.
Old 09-29-2006, 07:06 PM #61
vantrepes
The voices say I'm normal

vantrepes is a founding member
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurderDeathKill
Naw. The smoking ban was state-wide, which gave it legitimacy.
It wasn't state wide to start with. In fact, it isn't a smoking ban at all. It's an employment issue. You see, it's not "fair" for you to have to risk your health by working in a place that has second hand smoke, so to make all jobs equal, they outlawed smoking where anyone is, might be, or could be in the future, an employee.

The first smoking bans were inside in public places, like malls. You see, people didn't have a choice to shop somewhere else, they HAD to go to the mall, and some people don't like smoke, so, well, better get rid of it. But they didn't stop there, and they never do stop. First it was "publicly accessible" locations, like malls, and office building corridors. Then it was anywhere but a restaurant. Then is was only allowed in bars. Now you can't smoke in any public place other than a pre-existing smoking club with a "smoking license".

How does eating fattening foods even come close to the same logic? They will have to twist and squirm some other way to get it to stick, but don't worry, those who are better than you, and know what's good for you will force it down your throat in the end.

Quote:
This decision is above the power of the NYC government to make -- they're effectively regulating interstate commerce, a power reserved for Congress. Bad, bad, bad chi.
No they aren't. Their health dept. is recognizing a potential health threat to the citizens of NYC, and they are working to correct it, at least that's what they will say.
They aren't limiting the purchase of any of the oils, they are limiting the USE of the oils.
Welcome to legal speak.

Last edited by vantrepes : 09-29-2006 at 07:10 PM.
Old 09-29-2006, 07:16 PM #62
Wenuliveudie
100% Organic

Wenuliveudie plays in the PSP
Wenuliveudie donated to help Peyton Trent
Wenuliveudie helped look for balloons
Quote:
Goddamn...

McDonalds Is not making you fat. You are fat because you choose to be. Why can't the government just live & let live. We need laws telling us how to eat like we need laws telling us how to jack off.

Free country my ***.
Ehh, see in places such as New York City, fast food does make people fat. In NYC, people are constantly rushing around looking for quick meals and quick transportation. Therefore, McDonalds makes for a cheap and easy solution for their problem.

I think a better way to solve this problem would be to offer lower tax incentives to those who offer non-artifical transfat products. However, I do not believe that is possible, as the Health Code does not exactly coincide with the legislature. In order for such a program, it would have to work its way through the City Council/Legislature.

I actually discussed similar issues in my APUSH class today. However, they dealt more with laissez faire economics and such. Kinda cool though.

Old Feedback +16
Don't lose touch.
Old 09-29-2006, 07:21 PM #63
I love Impulses
Brogrammer IV

I love Impulses is a Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wenuliveudie
Ehh, see in places such as New York City, fast food does make people fat. In NYC, people are constantly rushing around looking for quick meals and quick transportation. Therefore, McDonalds makes for a cheap and easy solution for their problem.

I think a better way to solve this problem would be to offer lower tax incentives to those who offer non-artifical transfat products. However, I do not believe that is possible, as the Health Code does not exactly coincide with the legislature. In order for such a program, it would have to work its way through the City Council/Legislature.

I actually discussed similar issues in my APUSH class today. However, they dealt more with laissez faire economics and such. Kinda cool though.
On that "Supersize Me" movie, an average New Yorker walked seven miles a day.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬