Community Focus

Old 02-25-2013, 07:59 PM #22
ferret15
STTB connoisseur

Annual Supporting Member
ferret15 donated to help Peyton Trent
Keep lots of info because why not!
http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.p...1#post47797951

Rescchke was getting 265fps @ 335 psi, 1500+ on a 16oz CO2 tank. Which is honestly amazing for the size. This is about a close as you'll get for comparison as the RS uses the same vavle pin. I vaguely remember something about actually hitting 1700 shots, but nothing was recorded like that thread, he may have been using the 20oz and I don't ever remember a # for 68/45 if there was any. My VS2 got some crazy efficiency off of a 20oz too, but I never recorded it either.

Also: for those people who never had the pleasure of running Alamo city Products in their marker. Not only were they the Best BANG for your BUCK, but they still leave me skeptical of any other design that isnt as simple as theirs. Plus you pretty much could have any color too.

I'm all out of ideas again and this text is so plain.

I'm still not sure how I feel about this new look.

Last edited by ferret15 : 02-25-2013 at 08:06 PM.
ferret15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 05:53 PM #23
Opteron-O3
Elite Spyder Owner

Opteron-O3 is a Supporting Member
Opteron-O3 posts videos on PbNation
Opteron-O3 is one of the top 1000 posters on PbNation
Well I finally had a chance to do some testing and with a chrono!

Temperature: 60* (Awesome weather for us lol)
Wind: Light Breeze
Humidity: 24%

Marker Specs:
  • 2012 Spyder Fenix
  • Stock Internals
  • I used Bob Long Regulator due to Stock reg not having a gauge to read.
  • CP 2 piece barrel with .685 insert to match paint
  • Crossfire 68/3000 CF tank.
  • Handheld Sport Chrono
  • Spectrum Field Paint

Upgrades:
  • TechT Hush Bolt
  • Dark Horizons SS Striker
  • 9 Piece Spring Kit (Valve Only)

Testing was done as follows. I shot 5 rounds each time I changed something to the marker. For example. In stock form I shot 5 times. I changed bolt I shot another 5 times and recorded each. The marker will be shot with the current setup as stated above and I will upgrade and chrono as I go.

First Trial:
Stock setup set @ 500 psi
Readings: 275, 272, 276, 278, 273 - avg 274 fps

Second Trial:
Added Hush Bolt @ 500 psi
Readings: 302, 297, 299, 298, 300 - avg 299 fps

Third Trail:
Adjusted regulator to meet adequate FPS @ 400 psi
Readings: 280, 278, 275, 282, 278 - avg 278 fps

Forth Trial:
Added Dark Horizons SS Striker @ 400 psi
Readings: 265, 259, 263, 260, 264 - avg 262 fps
Note: I didn't like the results of the striker. Lower velocity and internal scratching. So I stopped here and switched back to the original striker.

Fifth Trial:
Added modified Light Valve Spring (More air allowed, stock is too stiff) @ 400psi
Readings: 299, 295, 297, 301, 293 - avg 297 fps

Final Trial:
Adjusted Regulator @ 350 psi
Readings: 275, 281, 278, 273, 277 - avg 276 fps

After running these tests I'm happy with the results. I didn't get around to trying out the main spring just because the spring used in the Fenix are of different length compared to the 9 piece that I have. I was able to get the same results as I did when I went to play on Sunday. Minimal Kick (this is a blowback afterall...), very light marker, very quiet compared to other Spyders and I've built many, very fast, and lastly VERY EFFICIENT. I had my tank set at 2500 psi(my tank seems to not be able to hold a full 3000. I was able to get 4 Pods(140ct) and a hopper (total roughly 760 shots) and still had roughly 1000-1200psi left. If my calculations are correct. I can get about 1400 out of my 68/3000 tank compared to 680 shots using the rule of thumb method 68(ci) x 10(3000psi size) = 680. The EKO Valve with some upgrades really helps
MacrolineGuy.com
Opteron-O3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 07:11 PM #24
ferret15
STTB connoisseur

Annual Supporting Member
Your 2013 fenix looks OG right now.

Tech-t exagerates their product.. go figure 25fps Increase and then a drop of 50psi. Same goes for the spring, I'm glad you found something that worked. Those strikers never seems to workout for most people, spyders just don't seem to like lighted strikers.

Old 02-27-2013, 10:46 PM #25
Opteron-O3
Elite Spyder Owner

Hahaha tech-t definitely made a winner with their spyder bolt. It surely made the most noticeable decrease in pressure and increase in performance. I was messing around with it some more and I happen to see the marker has "suction" something we longed for back in the day. But isn't really necessary anymore since we have force feed loaders at affordable price ranges. But nonetheless the Fenix is a keeper any primary marker. All it needed was a better regulator, upgraded bolt, barrel, and a few aping tweaks and you have a golden marker at an affordable price tag
MacrolineGuy.com
Old 02-28-2013, 12:44 AM #26
C8H10N4O2

C8H10N4O2 supports Team VICIOUS
C8H10N4O2 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
C8H10N4O2 has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
C8H10N4O2 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Nice post. Good results!
Old 03-03-2013, 01:10 AM #27
iTsAdamG

I love my Fenix might have to get a hush bolt hmmm thanks for all your tests and great info!
iTsAdamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 02:31 AM #28
Opteron-O3
Elite Spyder Owner

I did a fewodifications and I was able to get roughly 4 pods and a hopper out of 1200 psi
MacrolineGuy.com
Old 04-12-2014, 11:37 PM #29
Mac10tuna

Newbie here.

I see that the hush bolt only fits certain 2012 fenix models according to their website.

Can you possibly tell me what the difference is?
It says the marker has to be above a certain serial number (which I am not)
To work.

The pic of the stock bolt on their website looks just like mine.

I have already upgraded my barrel and want to take the next step up.

My gun chopped a ball on its first outing and I want to do everything possible to prevent it from happening again.

Thanks
Mac10tuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 06:02 AM #30
ferret15
STTB connoisseur

Annual Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac10tuna View Post
Newbie here.

I see that the hush bolt only fits certain 2012 fenix models according to their website.

Can you possibly tell me what the difference is?
It says the marker has to be above a certain serial number (which I am not)
To work.

The pic of the stock bolt on their website looks just like mine.

I have already upgraded my barrel and want to take the next step up.

My gun chopped a ball on its first outing and I want to do everything possible to prevent it from happening again.

Thanks

Ball breaks happen if you only have 1 every so often then don't worry to much about it. Better paint a good loader and HPA go a long way.

As far as mods on a fenix I wouldn't recommend even getting a barrel. (although nothing wrong with getting one either) Basically The number 1 thing you NEED to do get your gun running right is TUNE TUNE TUNE TUNE. This ensures the most ideal operating pressure for the desired FPS (whatever field limit is). Lower pressure (which the fenix is) allows for smoother operation and better operation. Kingman sends em out high so they work good enough, I suspect they turn them down from too high to close enough just so you don't kill anyone. You are left to dial it in to that sweet spot and this is done with the regulator.

You NEED a chronograph, fields have em, you can buy them, sometimes friends have them. Also paint and air and a safe place to shoot and probably a couple tools

Step:1
-No paint, air up; confirm it shoots, good. Now turn the regulator down until it quits recocking and starts burping. At that point you should stop it. Turning the air off is the safest route, or you can just grab it quick with your hand and recock it your self. Beware the slight chance of pulling the pin and now your going to have to unscrew the tank.

-No paint, air up; Turn up the air so it will recock itself for atleast single shots, slowly increase the pressure 1/4 turn at time and do this untill you can fire a short burst. The trick is make sure it works without paint because on the field you might just run out and be pretty embarrassed when somebody lights you up because they think you're still shooting.

*Note: At this point you may want to put your rear velocity screw in a place you can adjust it to keep the fields happy. 3/4 the way in is safe as if you are shooting a little hotter than than normal you can try to back it out first as you will almost always need to reduce your FPS. Otherwise you will spend more time playing with your regulator when you should be playing.

Good Step 2:
-Paint in, air up; Start with 1/4 -1/2 turns and shoot 3-10 times over a chrono. Your looking for an average, so when you see 3 similar numbers in a row your usually good to turn it up. As you get closer to your desired FPS (field limit usually around 280fps) you will spend more time shooting and making smaller turns.

Last step:

-Go play paintball thats it, you might make season adjustments or if you change parts. Typically daily weather changes and variation in boxes of paint might cause you to tweek the rear adjustment

As for the Tech-t; I don't really see where the difference would be between the 08/09 electra , the 2012 fenix and the newer fenixes. However there is probably a small change with the front of the bolt which spyder does change on occassions. Your probably SOL on the bolt, but you could always try to add o-rings to yours.

Old 04-13-2014, 08:41 AM #31
Mac10tuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferret15 View Post
Ball breaks happen if you only have 1 every so often then don't worry to much about it. Better paint a good loader and HPA go a long way.

As far as mods on a fenix I wouldn't recommend even getting a barrel. (although nothing wrong with getting one either) Basically The number 1 thing you NEED to do get your gun running right is TUNE TUNE TUNE TUNE. This ensures the most ideal operating pressure for the desired FPS (whatever field limit is). Lower pressure (which the fenix is) allows for smoother operation and better operation. Kingman sends em out high so they work good enough, I suspect they turn them down from too high to close enough just so you don't kill anyone. You are left to dial it in to that sweet spot and this is done with the regulator.

You NEED a chronograph, fields have em, you can buy them, sometimes friends have them. Also paint and air and a safe place to shoot and probably a couple tools

Step:1
-No paint, air up; confirm it shoots, good. Now turn the regulator down until it quits recocking and starts burping. At that point you should stop it. Turning the air off is the safest route, or you can just grab it quick with your hand and recock it your self. Beware the slight chance of pulling the pin and now your going to have to unscrew the tank.

-No paint, air up; Turn up the air so it will recock itself for atleast single shots, slowly increase the pressure 1/4 turn at time and do this untill you can fire a short burst. The trick is make sure it works without paint because on the field you might just run out and be pretty embarrassed when somebody lights you up because they think you're still shooting.

*Note: At this point you may want to put your rear velocity screw in a place you can adjust it to keep the fields happy. 3/4 the way in is safe as if you are shooting a little hotter than than normal you can try to back it out first as you will almost always need to reduce your FPS. Otherwise you will spend more time playing with your regulator when you should be playing.

Good Step 2:
-Paint in, air up; Start with 1/4 -1/2 turns and shoot 3-10 times over a chrono. Your looking for an average, so when you see 3 similar numbers in a row your usually good to turn it up. As you get closer to your desired FPS (field limit usually around 280fps) you will spend more time shooting and making smaller turns.

Last step:

-Go play paintball thats it, you might make season adjustments or if you change parts. Typically daily weather changes and variation in boxes of paint might cause you to tweek the rear adjustment

As for the Tech-t; I don't really see where the difference would be between the 08/09 electra , the 2012 fenix and the newer fenixes. However there is probably a small change with the front of the bolt which spyder does change on occassions. Your probably SOL on the bolt, but you could always try to add o-rings to yours.

thanks for the reply.

I already have the Halo Too loader with an HPA tank as well.
I took it to my local range and fired about 100 balls over the chrono.
it averages between 275 and 295 fps.
I figured I would fire a couple hundred balls through it to break in the regulator before I started tuning it.
unfortunately I killed 2 O rings in the reg with about 300 ball so far though.

I tore the reg down last night and will completely go through it with some grease to hopefully correct the issue.

as for balls, I justy went down to my local sporting good store and picked up 1000 of the JT balls they had in stock.
the gun actually fired 2 balls at once and thats when it broke a ball.

overall I like the gun and it seems like a pretty decent starter gun for the price.(which is what I was looking for)

thanks for the tips.
once I get the regulator back together, I will do all those steps to tune the regulator and velocity adjustment.
Mac10tuna is offline   Reply With Quote