Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 01-28-2014, 05:34 PM #1
BigWags77

Thoughts/Opinions on spyder MR series

Thinking about getting either the MRX or the MR5 as an entry level mag fed. Probably will get semi only. What are your thought's or opinions? Are they well made/perform well? Is it a good idea or should I just save up for a milsig or something more advanced.
BigWags77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 01-28-2014, 06:37 PM #2
sambob117
aka Salmon

sambob117 owns a Planet Eclipse - Emek
sambob117 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
sambob117 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
sambob117 supports Ninja Paintball
they are a very solid platform, great efficiency and reliability, the only downside to the spyder line is the mags are limited to 10 rounds, but it is also hopper fed with the twist of the barrel.

this marker package off amazon is the best deal if you want to try the mrx:
http://www.amazon.com/Kingman-Spyder...rds=spyder+mrx
marker, 2 barrels and 4 mags for 230. if you need more the mags are 20 bucks a pop

Last edited by sambob117 : 01-28-2014 at 06:39 PM.
sambob117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 04:18 AM #3
scottallen1986

The biggest drawback with the Sypder MR line is that you can't use an aftermarket barrel. So you are stuck with their awful stock barrels and their 'sniper' barrels are just longer versions of the same POS stock one. The rest of the gun is great though. So to get around this a guy makes a special adapter for the MR5/EMR5 and it works great. I can now shoot very accurately with this thing. If you are considering this line, get the MR5 or EMR5 and the adapter and better barrel or even better, a barrel set.

Jim Lange is who makes the adapter: jlfabworks@gmail.com

You can see more pics of the adapter here too: https://www.pbnation.com/showthread.p...highlight=emr5

This is my current MR5 setup

scottallen1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 09:35 AM #4
SharptheJack
Hit more when out.

SharptheJack has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
This looks great. The addition of the milsig parts really makes it unique. Is that an SA-17 magazine tube?
SharptheJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 04:42 PM #5
scottallen1986

Yea LOL. I had it laying around from when I got my BT Trracer and I was like, I wonder... About 20 solid smacks with a rubber mallet later and it works like a charm! It want to fit, but it just doesn't know it.

Cool thing is I now have 21 shots before I need to reload for magfed this way. 9 in the mag, 12 in the tube. I just rotate the barrel and use the 12 in case I don't have time to reload.
Old 01-29-2014, 06:16 PM #6
SharptheJack
Hit more when out.

How was the consistency before and after you added the regulator?
Old 01-30-2014, 12:26 AM #7
scottallen1986

Hard to say as before I put the reg on it I used the stock barrel, which was huge and terrible, and the paint I used was small so it's hard to say if it was the paint/barrel match or the gun itself. But by putting the reg and multistep bored barrels I was seeing <10 fps swing with old oblong paint.
Old 01-30-2014, 07:38 AM #8
sambob117
aka Salmon

sambob117 owns a Planet Eclipse - Emek
sambob117 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
sambob117 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
sambob117 supports Ninja Paintball
I guess I was pretty lucky with paint last year, most of my paint was 684-687 so it shot pretty well with the stock mr5 barrel, same with my buddys mrx. It was actually the most accurate Spyder I've used :p
Old 01-30-2014, 10:00 AM #9
brainvictim
Is that you John Wayne?

brainvictim is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
brainvictim has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
brainvictim has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
I say get the MR5 or the E-MR5, if you want to be able to use First Strike. I have the MRX and has been great, used it for the first half of the day for scenarios last year. My mag-fed experience has been limited but fun. If the magazine is too tight to get out you want to loosen a bit the bolts at the side of the Mag well.

My Old Feedback Thread
brainvictim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 11:49 AM #10
Shocker_Monkey
KCPP

Shocker_Monkey is a Supporting Member
Shocker_Monkey supports Ninja Paintball
I was planning on originally getting an MR5. But the mags simply hold too few rounds, and as i wanted to go strictly magfed, they just weren't going to work out for me.

=======WISCONSIN NAVARONE=======
Shocker_Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 01:09 PM #11
brubaker
Brubaker

brubaker owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
brubaker supports Shocker RSX
brubaker supports Ninja Paintball
Unless you buy used or a store still has some left the MRX has been discontinued by KEE.
brubaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 10:18 PM #12
The Inflicted
.detcilfnI ehT

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottallen1986 View Post
The biggest drawback with the Sypder MR line is that you can't use an aftermarket barrel. So you are stuck with their awful stock barrels and their 'sniper' barrels are just longer versions of the same POS stock one. The rest of the gun is great though. So to get around this a guy makes a special adapter for the MR5/EMR5 and it works great. I can now shoot very accurately with this thing. If you are considering this line, get the MR5 or EMR5 and the adapter and better barrel or even better, a barrel set.

Jim Lange is who makes the adapter: jlfabworks@gmail.com

You can see more pics of the adapter here too: https://www.pbnation.com/showthread.p...highlight=emr5

This is my current MR5 setup

Hey Scott, is that an automated Hammer-7 I see in your Photobucket gallery?
Any more info on that gun?
The Inflicted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 12:26 AM #13
scottallen1986

Ha ha ha yea. It is. LOL. It's ridiculous. Took me about a month and a half to get it to work the way I wanted and it's still a bit finicky but it's the world's only mag fed, first strike, closed bolt, semiauto 'autococker' that I'm aware of. It makes the weirdest noises when it fires too because it fires and recocks about the exact same time, (timing it was a total pain) and so it makes this sort of POP SSSSssspurttt sound. Everybody is like, WTF around me. LOL. Doesn't chop toooo often, but when it does it pretty much obliterates the FS round because the cocking pressure has to be very high, even with two rams so when it comes back forward, it does with serious authority. Pretty accurate, my issue right now is the ACOG knockoff is a bit hard to see due to the reg so I think I'll need a small riser to bring it back a few inches to get a better sight picture. Got it around 260-265 fps right now because the palmer reg is still breaking in and I want to give it some room in case it spikes. You can see how I built it on this thread over on mcb.

http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/c...7-build-2.html
Old 02-14-2014, 12:36 AM #14
The Inflicted
.detcilfnI ehT

Crazy. I've always wanted to try my hand at building an autonelson. Even owned a pair of Chameleon kits for a while but never gave it a go.

Did you ever try respringing the Hammer? I've heard they're oddly stiff for Nelson clones.

Also, ever seen this article? http://web.archive.org/web/200110230...-guns/GFH2.htm

Last edited by The Inflicted : 02-14-2014 at 12:39 AM.
The Inflicted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 07:18 AM #15
Shocker_Monkey
KCPP

Shocker_Monkey is a Supporting Member
Shocker_Monkey supports Ninja Paintball
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottallen1986 View Post
Ha ha ha yea. It is. LOL. It's ridiculous. Took me about a month and a half to get it to work the way I wanted and it's still a bit finicky but it's the world's only mag fed, first strike, closed bolt, semiauto 'autococker' that I'm aware of. It makes the weirdest noises when it fires too because it fires and recocks about the exact same time, (timing it was a total pain) and so it makes this sort of POP SSSSssspurttt sound. Everybody is like, WTF around me. LOL. Doesn't chop toooo often, but when it does it pretty much obliterates the FS round because the cocking pressure has to be very high, even with two rams so when it comes back forward, it does with serious authority. Pretty accurate, my issue right now is the ACOG knockoff is a bit hard to see due to the reg so I think I'll need a small riser to bring it back a few inches to get a better sight picture. Got it around 260-265 fps right now because the palmer reg is still breaking in and I want to give it some room in case it spikes. You can see how I built it on this thread over on mcb.

http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/c...7-build-2.html
That thing is awesome! Have you thought about trimming down the acrylic front plate and hose lengths? Just from the pics it looks like you could safely remove some of the material.

Way too involved for me to try to do myself, but very cool project. Congrats on finishing it as well. I know a lot of people that have started down the road of a custom gun and never finished.
Shocker_Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 08:19 PM #16
jahren26

A few aftermarket barrel are beginning to surface.

J
jahren26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 05:26 AM #17
scottallen1986

Yes I cut down the hoses. I haven't trimmed down the acrylic front plate because one I'm lazy and it's going to be a pain, two I'm concerned about the strength needed to keep those rams in place, and three it acts like a bazooka face shield. ha ha

I tried looking into that but all the springs I had were the wrong size, (too short). So I think by decreasing the pop-it spring to a lower tension, and then decreasing the main spring as well I could lower the cocking pressure requirements. I just haven't done that yet because that will require a lot of tinkering again and right now it's like, if it ain't broken, don't fix it. But I bet I could lower the pressure and POP sound it makes when it fires a bit too.

Tank cover was custom made by a guy here on the forum years ago. Can't recall his name but he made armor for ren fair guys and I got him to make this and a second silver/black one. Still turns heads everyday.

Here's an updated pic after I put the hoses in order.

Old 02-16-2014, 09:46 AM #18
SharptheJack
Hit more when out.

Do you have some sort of padding under the scale mail? I can just see it scratching the hell out of your tank.
Old 02-16-2014, 10:16 AM #19
Punisher068

Very slick Hammer Scott,saw youre using a Cocker 3way for your build on another thread,think it could be substituted with a MSV or SMAV?Would be cool to get a modded ASA with the LPR mounted directly to it inside the gripframe like some pnuemag setups.Is it a PITA to time it?
Nice tank cover too,think a guy on MCB still makes them
Ion w\Axe Relay
http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/c...-progress.html
Our teams home field PBN thread
https://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=4292217

Last edited by Punisher068 : 02-16-2014 at 10:24 AM.
Punisher068 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 01:58 PM #20
scottallen1986

Nope no scratches to tank. He does great work and it neither scratches the tank nor digs into my shoulder as guys suspect because of they way it's linked together and designed.

MSV being Micro switch valve? I'm not super familiar with it all but I'm sure it could be done to make it electro if you wanted. I went with the 3 way because it's what I knew about from using my VFT cocker for years. I'm sure a no kidding engineer could do a much better job on all of it. I just used what I knew how to use and could find parts for. An electric switch probably would have meant a lot less cutting and PITA overall.

Timing boiled down to making sure the 3way didn't move first. Once it was 100% secured, then I timed it by adjusting the amount of metal that was on the connector that typically links the 3way o-ring rod and the metal trigger linkage arm. I cut too much off of the connector then added in a screw and slowly turned it out until I got what I wanted. Then put a spring inbetween the screw and connector to pull it back forward and it seems to work. Most of the time...
Old 03-16-2014, 08:57 PM #21
Iambatman661

I have the e-mr5, bought it last year and was pretty happy with the performance. However I did have have some issues with the e trigger. I live in the maritimes and last season was pretty wet, I am sure that didn't help. All in all I was happy with the performance I got for my money. I will be upgrading to a proper mag fed gun this year. Thinking the scarab arms TGR2 this time around.
Iambatman661 is offline   Reply With Quote