PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 08-21-2012, 12:37 PM #22
kamdog211

has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by eforce View Post
There's a reason the prices are set like that. It influences the client base and the experience each customer gets when they play. Chris Raehl has a great writeup on this floating around somewhere, but the idea is that higher prices push away the troublesome kids and reduce the number of times players get shot, giving them a better experience.
I guess I can understand that logic. Like when I go to a really run down, and cheap golf course, the population seems to be more rude and inconsiderate of players. As long as the business can sustain that price.
Advertisement
Old 08-21-2012, 12:52 PM #23
TommyTwoToes
Pump Chump

TommyTwoToes plays in the APPA D5 division
Quote:
There's a reason the prices are set like that. It influences the client base and the experience each customer gets when they play. Chris Raehl has a great writeup on this floating around somewhere, but the idea is that higher prices push away the troublesome kids and reduce the number of times players get shot, giving them a better experience.
That may work for rec leagues...but when it comes to tourny players...that is insane. I mean, I don't want a troublesome kid doing things he shouldn't be doing, but thats really a refs problem. A few warnings then make them sit out.

our field for REC has rules like...don't shoot anyone within 10 feet.
and refs do a decent job of preventing that.
I feel as if those prices pushes people away because that is not even affordable at this point. What if all the other fields were 1.5 hours + away...and you were a regular player?

As far as players not being shot numerous times, once you get hit once, run off the field. If someone is blasting you up...well its paintball...shoot them back.
I suggest having a beginner rec and a normal rec. Beginner should be for people who are going to not really be shot up and such ( for players who never have played) If a kid is going in beginner and wrecking others, move him to normal rec.

But honestly, that pricing would MAKE ME QUIT the sport if it was too far to travel to another place.
Old 08-21-2012, 12:53 PM #24
Soul06
The Last Thing You'll See

Soul06 owns a Planet Eclipse CSL
Soul06 owns a Planet Eclipse CS1
Soul06 supports Ninja Paintball
Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyTwoToes View Post
oh hell no. How is that place still open?
You would be surprised at just how many fields charge around $25 for entry and $70+ for a case of paint. Yet weekend after weekend draw more rec players then many of the cheaper fields. Hell in some cases they draw more on any one weekend then 2 or 3 fields do combined

As for me I play as often as I can. Only play rec Spring to Fall and it works out to about once a month. Its my favorite hobby but not my only one. I too am married with plenty of bills. But my wife and I share the load so that makes it easier for me to still engage in the activities I enjoy

Obnoxious, NY - High Velocity, NY - Liberty, NY - Cousins, NY - Top Gun, NJ
On Target, NJ - Accurate, NJ - Skirmish, PA - CPX Sports, IL - Paintball Explosion, IL - P&L, MA - Pev's, VA - SC Village, CA

Soul06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 02:35 PM #25
kamdog211

I think my strategy will be to check out some local fields. Try and get to know some people, then see how things work locally. It may just be easier to try and get on an established team than to try and build one from the ground up.
Old 08-21-2012, 02:38 PM #26
YeloSno
Gen on Facebook

YeloSno is one of the top 250 posters on PbNation
I'm still a teen and almost never have a paying job.

I just offer my services and skills to people who need them locally.

Website building, lawnmowing, fixing car or paintball stuff, installing A/V stuff or troubleshooting and fixing computers.

I now have my own "business" set up for fixing markers for people who are or aren't local and have had some good luck with that as well as buying and reselling things that I know i can profit off of.

It's a lot of **** to do, but it's fun stuff and it teaches me plenty.
Old 08-21-2012, 02:45 PM #27
YeloSno
Gen on Facebook

YeloSno is one of the top 250 posters on PbNation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soul06 View Post
But my wife and I share the load so that makes it easier for me to still engage in the activities I enjoy

lucky.
Old 08-21-2012, 07:48 PM #28
wizard8873

I work though I just started to get into it. I make a lot more than I used to when I played before but even back then, I budgeted for game days. I was friends with a few players from one of the local fields and two of my close friends were tourney players and apart from my own paintball pants, they lent me all their spare gear for games. Before they got onto teams, we all worked at the field and played with the team and coworkers. free pass to play and we can always get cheaper paint.

Now that I'm getting into it and have a different budget, I went out and got my own gear, mostly a mix of used and mid-level new. You don't need the newest gear. Get something that you like and just stick with it. Most tourney players I know had their gear provided to them by sponsors or through winning tournaments. Check around the bst section as you really can get some great deals ($40 for a jersey and pants that would run over 200 new for example), you just have to not care that it's used.

Other ideas such as finding byop fields and getting cheap paint online is a great idea.

If that doesn't all work out, try and put some money that you'd spend going out into a paintball fund.
wizard8873 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 08:47 PM #29
Elrondel
Paintball Newbie

Elrondel has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Elrondel has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Elrondel has perfected Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyTwoToes View Post
oh hell no. How is that place still open?
You'd be surprised at how many people show up. I've gone there a bunch of times (Not knowing there were other fields, herp derp google!) but a lot of people don't know about the other fields. Lots of first timers go there.
Elrondel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 08:49 PM #30
ThatAHoleGuy
No, really.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamdog211 View Post
I think my strategy will be to check out some local fields. Try and get to know some people, then see how things work locally. It may just be easier to try and get on an established team than to try and build one from the ground up.
Where are you at in Richmond? I assume you play at KPS? Granted, it's only a speedball course, but the prices are very reasonable. Played there recently, and even though we got the field fees waived due to storms rolling in and possibly having to shut us down early, I only played for like $37. I think that's a damn good deal. I'm going back out there Sunday you should definitely come.
ThatAHoleGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 07:11 AM #31
kamdog211

ThatAHoleGuy,

I checked out their website and it looked decent. To be honest with you, I have only played speedball a few times and not really all that good. When I did play a lot, I use to drive up to Charlottesville and play woodsball at my friends farm.

I'm waiting on getting my DM6 but might be going to play some more woodsball this Sunday. If I have a chance next week, I might go to KPS just to check it out.
Old 08-22-2012, 07:40 AM #32
Détôx904

Détôx904 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 01:36 PM #33
MeÐiCX
Boneyard Paintball

MeÐiCX owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
MeÐiCX owns a Planet Eclipse GSL
Married with four boys. The wife, three of the four boys and myself play.

How do I afford it?? I have a good money tree
MeÐiCX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 01:44 PM #34
kamdog211

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeÐiCX View Post
Married with four boys. The wife, three of the four boys and myself play.

How do I afford it?? I have a good money tree
You mind telling me what type of seed I need to get to plan this money tree?
Old 08-22-2012, 01:49 PM #35
MeÐiCX
Boneyard Paintball

MeÐiCX owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
MeÐiCX owns a Planet Eclipse GSL
Lol money tree = job. Up until about 3 years ago I worked 3 jobs so I could play.

If you can hook up with a local field and help them out (reffing, field maintenance, etc.), that'll help you out. Doesn't pay much if anything at all but the field will offer reduce fees and discounts in return.
MeÐiCX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 11:41 AM #36
islndr33

eat cup of noodles everyday!!!!!!!!!!
islndr33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 09:39 PM #37
imthedoritoguy
Bomb squad

imthedoritoguy is playing at Living Legends VII
imthedoritoguy owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
imthedoritoguy has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
imthedoritoguy has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
imthedoritoguy has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
so spending 120$ is a better experience?

no thanks!!
Townley #34
imthedoritoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 09:52 PM #38
DonaldXFPP (Banned)

DonaldXFPP owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
DonaldXFPP has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
DonaldXFPP is attending Decay of Nations VI
My advice for anyone having a hard time playing due to cost is try and help around the field,picking up trash,keeping things regulating and ask the hiring manager for a job. Be sure to show your loyalty to the field and from there itll be piece of cake. Also working around proshops is a great idea aswell
DonaldXFPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 12:51 PM #39
dps093
I like Flexes

dps093 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
dps093 plays in the APPA D4 division
dps093 is one of the top 1000 posters on PbNation
dps093 is Boss
dps093 supports Ninja Paintball
dps093 supports Empire
Yea, I'm just going to reiterate what everyone else said. See if you can get a job at your local field with reffing, cleanup, etc. It's not a whole lot of money, but enough for practice paint c:
dps093 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 07:25 PM #40
IamRedruM

IamRedruM has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
IamRedruM is attending Decay of Nations VI
I just hold people up at gun point and take their paint
Old 09-14-2012, 07:29 PM #41
bushhog750

bushhog750 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
My wife makes bank and spoils the piss out of me. The mastercard helps too.
bushhog750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 10:09 PM #42
Danny96211

Danny96211 posts videos on PbNation
Danny96211 supports Empire
my local field charges 65$ for a case of paint, 25 for admission, and 10 for all day air. so thats 90$ for a day of play for me Its pretty rediculous. I think they have the prices set so high because its the only field on the island. The next nearest field is a 30 min drive and i would have to pay 10$+ bridge tolls to get there... It sucks. You dont get a whole lot for what you pay for at my field either. its small and theres only 6 fields.
Danny96211 is offline   Reply With Quote