PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 02-27-2010, 09:01 AM #1
MurderFX

has been a member for 10 years
My 09 Impulse Review

My Background:
Before starting I want to give a brief background. I've got over 40 markers, been playing paintball since 1986, and absolutely love to play paintball. Most of my markers are autocockers (like 8 snipers, 10 electrics, and 15+ mechanicals) with some others thrown in including an original Daisy Splotchmarker, a non-serial number Nelspot, DM7, Angel G7, RL Shocker NXT, UL PM7 SE, a 3 Tippmann SL-68 I & IIs.

My initial review of shooting @ 1000 rounds in the cold:
I got my Impulse last Monday and grabbed 2 bags of paint and headed out into the below freezing cold to shoot with my chrono. First 30 rounds I just shot and my initial impression was not what I expected, this thing is loud! So I grab the chrono - there's the problem - shooting 340fps.

I put the velocity down to 280 and it's way nicer. The sound signature is about that of a PMR, quiet but with a distinctive sharp pop. I guess close to a shocker but with a sharper pop of that from a poppit.

My next test was put it over the chrono on NXL to get an idea of consistency. With some okay quality XO paint I shot a string of 228 shots with an average of 279fps with max of 283 and low of 269. BPS average was 19.2 with a max of 20.0 and low of 12.6. Based on the low and high average it's obvious my first 3 shots to enter NXL full auto were in the 12-13 range. Very impressive IMO for both numbers.

My final performance test was to setup my DM7 and compare side by side. Both have virtually no kick with the edge going to the DM7, the DM7 is definitely quieter but not by much.

After just shooting the rest of my paint I pack everything up but with one final test, to weigh the Impulse. I've already weighed my DM7 but to ensure my scale is still calibrated I weigh it again. DM7: 946g. Impulse: 950g. Both weights are with battery installed, no barrel. I also weighed the new impulse freak back in at 50g, or 4g lighter than the older cut-out styled freak back (both backs are SP threaded).

My review after a day of play:
Last night (Friday) went to our local indoor field (Cincinnati Paintball) to play. I'm typically all ADDed up when playing and change markers about every other game. Last night was the first time I ever played with just one marker for an entire night. I shot 2000 rounds out of my 68/4500 tank with a chrono average of 250-255 (field speed is 260) with the paint being smaller than 0.684, probably around 0.682ish. I speculate with a chrono average of 280fps the Impulse would shoot @1800-1900 on small bore paint.

The more I played with the Impulse the more and more I loved it. The trigger is absolutely wonderful and so very easy to walk on semi-only. The weight is very well balanced with my CP 68/4500 tank and Prophecy loader. How smooth the marker shoots is absolutely wonderful and is so very close to my DM7. The eye covers are easy to pop open to clean. Everything about the new Impulse IMO is wonderful.

Final Thoughts:
Old Internals: I've got #144 and even with the old internals it shoots flawlessly. Don't hesitate to pick up a pre-250 serial # in fear of the old internals.
Sound and kick: I've read a ton of reviews saying it's the smoothest shooting and one of the quietest markers out. I think both are a little exaggerated but it is super smooth with virtually zero kick although a little louder than a DM or Droid/Clone. The kick is very close to that of my DM7 with maybe a tiny bit more rise in higher ROFs until it settles down after 5-10 shots. Think sound about that of a Shocker, PM, or Geo with more of a pop. Definitely quieter than a G3, Ego, Bob Longs, and again a little louder than a DM or Droid.
Batteries: I got the Impulse with one battery totally dead and the second battery almost dead. The start up was red but it still shot 1000 rounds no problem at all. Charging time was less than an hour per battery but I can't state for certain as for both charges I plugged it in and walked away from probably 45-60minutes.
Feedneck: This is probably the only thing I don't like - why did SP change the feedneck from the shockers? The new feedneck is a little taller than my RL NXT. It's not bad, don't get me wrong, but it seems backwards to me to go to a taller feedneck. Oh well - it grips great so it's doing it's job.

I know my review is a little long but hopefully it helps those who are thinking on grabbing an Impulse. All I can say is when I bought mine I figured I could trade it if I don't like it. Not now - this one will stay in my collection and will become my main electric marker as it has everything I want - efficient, quiet, smooth, and super easy to maintain.

Oklahoma D-Day 2012 - German Army - Join the fun
MurderFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 02-27-2010, 12:25 PM #2
ripdisc

is playing at Living Legends XI
ripdisc owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
ripdisc supports DLX Technology
good review. definatly would like to get one of these.

The Ripdisc Collection
Custom PCs!
ripdisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 08:57 PM #3
Walkthetrigger
Becoming a gun whore =)

Walkthetrigger is playing at Living Legends III
Walkthetrigger is for the Gunfight
Walkthetrigger has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Walkthetrigger has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Good review man, It sums them up greatly, have a serial # 76 myself. One quick question, what is your HPR and LPR set at? How many turns from in? I did a set up review of what the hpr and lpr should be set at to help out and i am trying to get more feedback on it, or see if it agrees with mine, thanks
Old 02-27-2010, 11:48 PM #4
MurderFX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walkthetrigger View Post
Good review man, It sums them up greatly, have a serial # 76 myself. One quick question, what is your HPR and LPR set at? How many turns from in? I did a set up review of what the hpr and lpr should be set at to help out and i am trying to get more feedback on it, or see if it agrees with mine, thanks
I'm going to reset everything this week. I seriously played with it straight out of the box and only adjusted the HPR. I'll let you know what happens when I follow both your setup and the manual setup.

Oklahoma D-Day 2012 - German Army - Join the fun
MurderFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 01:01 AM #5
Architects
super stupid wild

Architects donated to help Peyton Trent
Architects owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Architects supports Team VICIOUS
I had #24.... Did they ever do anything to correct the feednecks?
Old 02-28-2010, 08:56 AM #6
Walkthetrigger
Becoming a gun whore =)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architects View Post
I had #24.... Did they ever do anything to correct the feednecks?
No the feedneck is the same design.
Old 02-28-2010, 02:43 PM #7
Vegard
LOST

Vegard is a Supporting Member
Vegard is a founding member
Vegard is Boss
Nice review
-growing older is mandatory – growing up is optional-

SBDB009 Reddit Jealous Lion
Vegard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 07:43 PM #8
SpecOpsDeath

great review man!! this is exactly what i was looking for. im very iffy on it since no one around me has one, but i want to pick one up. I did not know that the internals were fixed after #250. what internals exactly were the troublesome ones?
SpecOpsDeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 08:07 PM #9
Walkthetrigger
Becoming a gun whore =)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecOpsDeath View Post
great review man!! this is exactly what i was looking for. im very iffy on it since no one around me has one, but i want to pick one up. I did not know that the internals were fixed after #250. what internals exactly were the troublesome ones?
It is talked about a good amount in the stickies and in about 2 different threads. It was the Valve Spring and the Valve core, a few were know to leak so they designed them better. I have a Gen 1 and it shoots amazing. I think the marker is well worth the price tag, especially if you get it used here on pbnation.
Old 03-02-2010, 11:00 AM #10
bunkerkingap1
I-40 Fuel

bunkerkingap1 plays in the PSP
bunkerkingap1 is reppin' sidebar 4 life
I finally got to play with my imp this last weekend and was really impressed. Good review
bunkerkingap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 12:08 PM #11
dude1it
Christopher

dude1it helped look for balloons
dude1it is an NCPA player
dude1it is a top reviewer
nice review, but not sure why it's louder than your dm7...mine is soooo quiet - you may just have to play with some settings yet

Pittsburgh All American Heroes 2012
dude1it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 07:59 PM #12
carolinaragetc

carolinaragetc plays in the PSP
carolinaragetc plays in the APPA D4 division
It should quiet down when it breaks in more. Mine's in the mail, cant wait
carolinaragetc is offline   Reply With Quote