Community Focus

Old 07-08-2011, 04:12 PM #1
EpShot

EpShot donated to help Peyton Trent
How to end the decifit in 5 minutes

http://www.ritholtz.com/blog/2011/07...-in-5-minutes/

Quote:
Buffett:

“I could end the deficit in 5 minutes. You just pass a law that says that anytime there is a deficit of more than 3% of GDP all sitting members of congress are ineligible for reelection.”

Of course i have no idea how you would pass such a law. But that would be awesome!
EpShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 07-08-2011, 09:25 PM #2
Kite09
Youngstown Gambit

Kite09 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Quote:
Originally Posted by EpShot View Post
http://www.ritholtz.com/blog/2011/07...-in-5-minutes/

Of course i have no idea how you would pass such a law. But that would be awesome!
Makes sense.
"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." - George Carlin (1937-2008)

Make Paintball Part of the X Games
http://www.petitiononline.com/pb123/
Put this in your sig if you support.
Kite09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 09:35 PM #3
mnp8nt
There is only Zuul

has been a member for 10 years
mnp8nt supports Team VICIOUS
mnp8nt is an NCPA player
mnp8nt is Legendary
mnp8nt owns a Planet Eclipse CSR
And here I thought you were going to say magic. Or the reappointment of Levi Woodbury... lol
Old 07-08-2011, 11:06 PM #4
Iamamartianchurch

I solve the debt crisis in one word. Responsibility.
Iamamartianchurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 12:21 AM #5
Seahawk6060

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamamartianchurch View Post
I solve the debt crisis in one word. Responsibility.
A novel idea. Unfortunately, responsibility is a virtue that's been subordinated by the creed of entitlement.
Seahawk6060 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 01:19 AM #6
Volucris
asmuchtextastheywillallow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seahawk6060 View Post
A novel idea. Unfortunately, responsibility is a virtue that's been subordinated by the creed of entitlement.

Let us not forget that we the people voted and this is what we got. It's more-so an issue of us settling for less and picking people who do not fulfill promises.
Volucris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 01:50 AM #7
Kite09
Youngstown Gambit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volucris View Post

Let us not forget that we the people voted and this is what we got. It's more-so an issue of us settling for less and picking people who do not fulfill promises.
Well, in all reality there is never a politician who can fulfill all of their and sometimes even some of their promises. As voters people need to be more educated on what they are voting on and who they are voting for instead of what party they run for or who their friends are voting for. (yes people do that). One thing though is congress should not be allowed to vote themselves raises and pretty much unending benefits. They get the best free medical in the country and complain that teachers get too much medical. I think in some manner I agree with Plato and his concept of The Republic. Those in power get the least out of any other class. (Just a miniscule bit of the book) But, those in power generally do anything they can to remain in power. So, I doubt much will ever change.
"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." - George Carlin (1937-2008)

Old 07-09-2011, 11:00 AM #8
vantrepes
The voices say I'm normal

vantrepes is a founding member
Sadly, the only result of that law would be either massive tax increases, a redefining of the word "debt" or a resolution passed to exempt the current politicians from that end result.
They would vote for it, campaign on that vote, then do everything they could to not abide by it.
These are politicians we're talking about.......
vantrepes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 12:35 PM #9
Seahawk6060

While politicians are the people we ultimately hold responsible, they are simply a reflection of ourselves. Unless we as a people hold ourselves to a higher standard, responsibility in government becomes less an exercise in reality and more an act of wishful thinking.

As individuals, it's up to us to represent the higher nobility of man and influence the people in our own circle of friends and family. I agree with Kite09, it's not about the political party you stand for, but for the values that you represent and voting people into office that represent your core values. If we elect someone that is a blatant liar and political hack simply because he is able to "bring home the bacon" to our district, then it's simply a reflection of us making unprincipled compromises, on our own values, for short-term material gains. If we live our lives as a mirror of an MTV reality show, then it's useless to blame politicians and the "system."

If we fix the kinks and contradictions in ourselves, as individuals, then our political system will follow suit as a matter of course.
Seahawk6060 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 12:56 PM #10
madgoat
Troll_Extraordinaire

madgoat has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
wow, surprisingly eloquent.
Old 07-09-2011, 01:39 PM #11
toolbandfan
The dude abides

toolbandfan is a Supporting Member
toolbandfan is playing at Living Legends VII
Quote:
What are you referring to? Welfare? Education?
Old 07-09-2011, 02:20 PM #12
licence_to_kill
Bizarro World

licence_to_kill is reppin' sidebar 4 life
licence_to_kill has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
licence_to_kill has perfected Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
licence_to_kill has perfected Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
**** the deficit, we need to focus on job growth

"Most Ron Paul supporters are domestic terrorists and racist liberal nazis." - John Elway
licence_to_kill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 03:48 PM #13
Not2FFU

Quote:
Originally Posted by licence_to_kill View Post
**** the deficit, we need to focus on job growth
You are an idiot.
Old 07-09-2011, 04:14 PM #14
licence_to_kill
Bizarro World

reported

"Most Ron Paul supporters are domestic terrorists and racist liberal nazis." - John Elway
Old 07-09-2011, 04:14 PM #15
EpShot

EpShot donated to help Peyton Trent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not2FFU View Post
You are an idiot.
yea.. **** job growth!
EpShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 04:19 PM #16
Not2FFU

Spending more money in a time like this is like using a band-aid for a gun shot wound.

From what I read there are plenty of jobs available but people just don't have the skills or the brains to do the ****ing job.

Hell I just got another job 3 weeks ago and got called last night that I was officially hired on at a rather prestigious financial company.

I've talked to many hiring managers that have lots of jobs to fill but can't find halfway intelligent people to fill them.
Old 07-09-2011, 04:26 PM #17
licence_to_kill
Bizarro World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not2FFU View Post
From what I read
...which is?

Old 07-09-2011, 04:51 PM #18
vantrepes

Quote:
While politicians are the people we ultimately hold responsible, they are simply a reflection of ourselves. Unless we as a people hold ourselves to a higher standard, responsibility in government becomes less an exercise in reality and more an act of wishful thinking.

As individuals, it's up to us to represent the higher nobility of man and influence the people in our own circle of friends and family. I agree with Kite09, it's not about the political party you stand for, but for the values that you represent and voting people into office that represent your core values. If we elect someone that is a blatant liar and political hack simply because he is able to "bring home the bacon" to our district, then it's simply a reflection of us making unprincipled compromises, on our own values, for short-term material gains. If we live our lives as a mirror of an MTV reality show, then it's useless to blame politicians and the "system."

If we fix the kinks and contradictions in ourselves, as individuals, then our political system will follow suit as a matter of course.
While I agree, I am not holding my breath waiting for people to have a sudden enlightenment on the end results of the values, and by extension, the policies, they support.
The problem becomes one of what to do when the contradictions, and kinks are supported, and promoted by the values (read policies) that put those politicians in office? A large portion of our countries population no longer sees it as their responsibility to take care of themselves, they see it as the governments. When their value is nothing but "Give me more", there is no compromise to make, they want what they want, and damn the consequences.
Old 07-09-2011, 04:54 PM #19
licence_to_kill
Bizarro World

Quote:
Originally Posted by vantrepes View Post
A large portion of our countries population no longer sees it as their responsibility to take care of themselves, they see it as the governments. When their value is nothing but "Give me more", there is no compromise to make, they want what they want, and damn the consequences.
Lets see some data supporting this.

Old 07-09-2011, 05:05 PM #20
Kite09
Youngstown Gambit

Quote:
Originally Posted by vantrepes View Post
While I agree, I am not holding my breath waiting for people to have a sudden enlightenment on the end results of the values, and by extension, the policies, they support.
The problem becomes one of what to do when the contradictions, and kinks are supported, and promoted by the values (read policies) that put those politicians in office? A large portion of our countries population no longer sees it as their responsibility to take care of themselves, they see it as the governments. When their value is nothing but "Give me more", there is no compromise to make, they want what they want, and damn the consequences.
“Inflamed by greed, incensed by hate, confused by delusion, overcome by them, obsessed by mind, a man chooses for his own affliction, for others' affliction, for the affliction of both and experiences pain and grief” - Buddha

Old 07-09-2011, 06:51 PM #21
vantrepes

Quote:
Originally Posted by licence_to_kill View Post
Lets see some data supporting this.
Take a trip to a city ER, and see how many people are there on the .gov dime for crap that should be taken care of in a Dr. office, not an ER.
Talk to an EMT, and ask them about "frequent fliers". See how many of those people ever pay a dime for their trips to the ER.
Take a look at the "3rd rail of American Politics", that great Ponzi scheme of Social Security. It was a promise of "We'll take care of you" and suckers fell for it.
Take a look at the rhetoric when anyone talks about cutting any welfare program, no matter how badly they have failed.

Then you tell me there's not a large portion of the population that sees it as someone else's job to take care of them.
Sadly, I don't see it changing any time in the near future.