Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 05-22-2014, 12:50 PM #1
Rinzler246

tippmann project salvo or spyder e mr5 or spyder mr5

I've been looking into milsim style gun and I have narrowed my choices down to these three. I'm on a tight budget so sadly I can't get anything over $250. What do you guys think of these choices? Do you have better suggestions? By the way, one of these would be my first marker.
Rinzler246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 05-22-2014, 01:03 PM #2
Robotech

has been a member for 10 years
Robotech is attending Decay of Nations VII
Honestly, the E MR5 would be my choice and here's why.

Spyders are rock solid markers. They require a bit more maintenance than a Tippmann might but not much. Both markers are rugged.

The main thing I like about the MR5 is that you can switch between mag fed and hopper fed with a twist of the barrel. With the magazine being able to hold First Strike rounds (if you're unfamiliar, do your research on them) you can shoot regular paint from a hopper and First Strike Rounds (FSR) from the magazine. I own a Dye DAM which can do the same thing (but with just the flip of a switch and I can use different barrels if I choose...something that you can't do with Spyder's system) and bought the marker for that reason. In scenarios and big games, this feature is a BIG advantage.

I would choose the eMR5 over the standard just because the e-trigger gives you a bit more firing options and a bit higher Rate Of Fire (ROF).

Other than that, both markers are solid performing markers, easy to maintain, and can take many "milsim" aftermarket accessories.
Robotech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 10:22 PM #3
sambob117
aka Salmon

sambob117 owns a Planet Eclipse - Emek
sambob117 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
sambob117 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
sambob117 supports Ninja Paintball
I'd also suggest the mr5 over the salvo because to the magazine/hopper option which gives you the ability to use firststrikes. I had an emr5 and it was a rock solid marker, I rarely used the firing options since I ran mag fed only, but when I did it was fun. If you plan to get the e trigger make sure to pick up a force feed hopper to keep up, even a cheap revy will do the trick
Old 05-24-2014, 01:06 AM #4
alldayyyyy

If go with the MR5 or EMR5. I had a modded tippman salvo that I polished the internal castings, zero kick bolt, spring kit, rap 4 loader arm, 18" apex barrel for about 3 months and sold it and got an EMR5 which blew it out of the water stock. It needs no upgrades unless u want a longer barrel but not needed.

I played with a spyder shutter for like 15 years and blew a lot of top of the line guns out of the water, tried tippman and not impressed so went back to spyder much happier now!

If you buy the MR5 I will swap you my EMR5 trigger frame for FREE for you MR5 trigger frame. I never use anything but semi so the firing modes are useless to me.
alldayyyyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 03:13 AM #5
Ackon

Ackon owns a Planet Eclipse CS1
You could check for used gear also and save some money.
Ackon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 11:34 PM #6
Robotech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rinzler246 View Post
By the way, one of these would be my first marker.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ackon View Post
You could check for used gear also and save some money.
For a first marker I strongly suggest staying away from used. You never know what you're going to get and if you're not familiar with taking care of a marker, even something as easy as a Tippmann or a Spyder (possibly even more so since these markers are usually neglected by previous owners who either didn't know how to take care of them or thought they didn't need to be taken well care of) is best if bought new and not used if it is someones first marker.

After some ownership under your belt you'll have a better idea of what are the important questions to ask of an owner before you buy their gear and what you may have to fix or address with a used marker.
Old 06-05-2014, 05:21 PM #7
beastmode2112
BANG

beastmode2112 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
beastmode2112 supports Ninja Paintball
Mr5 for reasons above
beastmode2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 07:43 PM #8
DRAXX
www.muddhillspaintball.tk

The only advantage that the MR5 has over the Salvo is the mag-fed conversion.

THat's it

other than that, spyders will never be as solid as Tippmanns. I'd rather get a salvo and convert it to Mag-fed simply because I know it's most likely never going to fail

Can't say that for any spyder alive.
Old 06-05-2014, 08:43 PM #9
Robotech

Agreed Spyders don't quite have the reputation for durability even in the face of owner neglect as Tippmann does, but they're close. With slightly more maintenance than dropping some oil down the ASA a Spyder can be just as reliable.

I have a Warsensor WS66 which is a VM68/Spyder hybred clone which is 10 years old and never let me down with regular maintenance.
Old 06-05-2014, 09:21 PM #10
ixipaulixi

ixipaulixi is BST Trusted
I cannot comment on the Spyders since I've never shot one before.

But I do own a Project Salvo, and can say that it has treated me very well, and that I plan on keeping this as my primary marker until I decide to spring for a TM-15.
ixipaulixi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 12:33 PM #11
Mounts137

I used a Salvo for my first marker as well and i loved it. The marker treated me well and I had a lot of fun with it. Like others said it is very easy to maintain and upgrade plus it has a little tool kit in the mag so that was handy. However I haven't ever played with a MR5 so I couldn't say anything about that marker but you can't really go wrong with the Project Salvo and it's backed by Tippmann's 2 year warranty so that's nice too.
Mounts137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 07:11 PM #12
kevin.collins2011

Bnib $150 pm me [IMG]http:// [/IMG]
kevin.collins2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 04:05 PM #13
theknifehoss

I have an EMR5 and its great although the 6-burst option does not work well but its great for scenario especially with all the rails it has for grips, bi-pod, or sights.

with the barrel I have for it the ability to snipe is great
theknifehoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 10:13 PM #14
Henchman

Mr5 package

http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/m...ml#post2971920
Old 06-26-2014, 11:43 PM #15
Tombstone82

Tombstone82 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Tombstone82 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Tombstone82 supports Shocker RSX
Tombstone82 supports Ninja Paintball
As a Tippmann owner/fan my opinion is going to be a bit biased. So all I'm gonna say is try to find someone at your local field who owns one and see if they will let you shoot it. Or check with your local pro shop.

Exiled Souls
Tombstone82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 11:08 PM #16
alldayyyyy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRAXX View Post
The only advantage that the MR5 has over the Salvo is the mag-fed conversion.

THat's it

other than that, spyders will never be as solid as Tippmanns. I'd rather get a salvo and convert it to Mag-fed simply because I know it's most likely never going to fail

Can't say that for any spyder alive.
My spyder shutter served me for 15 years and still works with NOTHING replaced! Original everything… never even had the expansion chamber off. Only reason I switched is I really like Millsim and my wife won't let me have a real gun.

The fact that I sold my salvo to my buddy who gets 600 shots to a 68ci air tank and I get over 1000 at the same tank is proof of what TIPPMAN lacks. To make a blunt statement that spyders will never be as solid as tippmans is ridiculous. Tippmans can take a lot of abuse but they have NO EFFICENCY and they haven't updated the internals in FOREVER!

Don't get me wrong the salvo shoots decent but at the cost of what… weight, efficiency and the fact that you have to remove like how many screws to disassemble? And then hope the trigger springs don't shoot out and get lost. The fact that the gun casting is so rough and they don't take the time to smooth it all out so the Orings survive is enough insight to tippmans engineering.
Old 07-09-2014, 12:04 PM #17
Robotech

Quote:
Originally Posted by alldayyyyy View Post
My spyder shutter served me for 15 years and still works with NOTHING replaced! Original everything… never even had the expansion chamber off. Only reason I switched is I really like Millsim and my wife won't let me have a real gun.

The fact that I sold my salvo to my buddy who gets 600 shots to a 68ci air tank and I get over 1000 at the same tank is proof of what TIPPMAN lacks. To make a blunt statement that spyders will never be as solid as tippmans is ridiculous. Tippmans can take a lot of abuse but they have NO EFFICENCY and they haven't updated the internals in FOREVER!

Don't get me wrong the salvo shoots decent but at the cost of what… weight, efficiency and the fact that you have to remove like how many screws to disassemble? And then hope the trigger springs don't shoot out and get lost. The fact that the gun casting is so rough and they don't take the time to smooth it all out so the Orings survive is enough insight to tippmans engineering.
Nothing you said is untrue. However, Spyders are not as forgiving to poor maintenance as Tippmanns are...and I shot a Spyder clone for a decade. If you take care of your gear, Spyders will last forever. Sadly, one of the major reasons people think Spyders and Tippmanns are crap markers is because the vast majority of them are NOT taken care of properly and suffer for it.

The fact that they can keep shooting at all with some people's maintenance habits is somewhat amazing.
Old 07-09-2014, 05:01 PM #18
alldayyyyy

I can agree with that.
Old 08-13-2014, 11:10 AM #19
Zac217

The salvo you showed is all plastic, makes it light. But cheap and easily breakable. I'd get the Mr5 that's all metal for the price.
Zac217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 07:49 AM #20
alldayyyyy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zac217 View Post
The salvo you showed is all plastic, makes it light. But cheap and easily breakable. I'd get the Mr5 that's all metal for the price.
On the MR5 and EMR5 only the top half of the gun is aluminum... bottom have (trigger frame) is all plastic. But there is a considerable weight difference between the Salvo and MR5/EMR5 ... the spyder is lighter. I'm talking about the all metal Salvo.
Lapco medium Apex 2 adapter, Apex 2 tip
Milsig adjus riser, 1-6x24 scope & red dot
Old 12-31-2014, 12:48 AM #21
jordanfxp

I've always doubted the spyders mag fed system. I have an M17 and the mag system and parts are solid. But that is far beyond your budget.
jordanfxp is offline   Reply With Quote