CP one-piece 11 61.11%
Lapco Bigshot 7 38.89%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Archived Thread - Cannot Edit  
Old 09-26-2001, 05:31 PM #1
zero Pressence

has been a member for 10 years
CP or Xcel

Im looking to ditch my stock barrel and pick up an aftermarket barrel in the 50 buck price range. These two barrels both have great reviews and both have same bore size. The Custom Products one-piece barrel comes in 4 sizes(10,12,14,16) and the Lapco Bigshot comes in 12in and maybe 14? Im probably gonna go with 12in but possibly 14in. Which one do you recommend? and what lenght?

Last edited by zero Pressence : 09-27-2001 at 03:09 PM.
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 09-26-2001, 05:34 PM #2
zero Pressence

Are 14in barrels more accurate than 12in? Please tell me the big diff in the 2 lengths.
Old 09-26-2001, 07:13 PM #3
Ilyag

There is only a small difference between 12" and 14", but it may at one point be a factor in the game you're playing. Although I've never shot through a Lapco, I would reccomend a DYE Excel over either of the two barrels. You generally shoot Diablo fine, and the RPS too (or so I think). I myself, use a DYE Stainless Steel. Although that may be a bit over your price range, and a barrel is an important piece of your equipment, and I would save up to get the 'next' level of barrel. However, I have heard only good things about the LAPCO Bigshot. Look at the bore size on both barrels, and compare it to the size balls you shoot. That should help you make the selection.
Old 09-26-2001, 09:26 PM #4
zero Pressence

i think im gonna go with the dye xcel. looks great and the reviews on it were really high. Again tho i am with the question of which length? 12" or 14"? Please state the pros and cons of each length. I shoot a Piranha STS G3 with an aftermarket reg and i dont play speedball much if that even makes any diff. With "real guns" it is my understanding that the longer the barrel the more acurate the shot is this true with paintball? Thanks
Old 09-26-2001, 10:30 PM #5
Ilyag

Accuracy, past 11 or so inches, is not dependant on the barrel length. It is dependant on the paint/barrel match. I personally think the 12" is fine, and you won't see much of a difference between the two. If you tend to place forest, you should rather get a 14", since being tight and compact in a bunker isn't your biggest concern. There WILL be a minimal length addition with a 14", but not by much.
Old 09-27-2001, 02:38 PM #6
zero Pressence

Thanks, I have decided on getting a 14in but still havnt decided between the CP and the Dye Xcel. Its a tough choice. At PbReview.com they both have 9.0 on average review and both are out of about 80 reviews. The only bad thing i heard about the CP is that it scratches easily...i dunno if that is true or not. And the only thing bad about the Xcel is that its logo is supposedly ugly as, well you get the point. I do kind of perfer the looks of the CP but if it is true that it scratches then thats definatley a con. Please let me know if you have a CP and if it scratches or not same with the logo on the Xcel.
Old 09-27-2001, 03:10 PM #7
Ilyag

I actually think that the jewel on the DYE Xcel looks pretty damn cool. Not sure about the CP barrel, but I'd still go with the DYE.
Old 09-27-2001, 04:23 PM #8
Aussie Mike

I am a big fan of CP barrels. They do not scratch easily but they sure shoot straight. CP makes a quality product and don't shaft you on the price. I would strongly recommend the CP.

The Lapcos are also a very nice barrel and a *lot* of people swear by them. They don't come in the range of colors that the CP does though and that would be the main reason to chose one over the other IMHO.

The DYE Excel is (in my experience) an underwhelming experience. It is not as good as the CP or the Lapco yet costs more. I guess that is just a DYE thing - their products always command a premium. They are very popular amongst the label conscious though - so if that is important to you then maybe you should take a close look at the excel. The only thing is it was made for people who want the DYE name but can't find the $$$ for a boomstick - plus they look pretty bad too. My opinion of course

I've shot all three brands and I would recommend (1) CP (2) Lapco then (3) Excel.

Peace,
Mike.
Old 09-27-2001, 05:13 PM #9
Bud_Orr.

Talking Lapco

Lapco's are good barrels. What makes them worth buying is the fact the amount of money you pay for them. Go to any store and you will see them always out of stock becuase lots of people buy them. The accuracy is better than CP and J&J..but the only thing that brings them down is they are loud. Becuase Lapco's have barely any porting your gun is louder but your gun becomes more gas effiecent becuase there is no drag in the barrel. Because there is less porting your gun is also easier to clean, and you dont have to worry about keeping water out of your barrel when playing in the rain. In alot of cases you can still fire paintballs even when there is goop in this barrel.
The only other thing that I dont like is the fact finding a barrel plug that will fit a Lapco is hard to do.
You can buy a Lapco BS for 50 bucks at countypaintball.com. I suggest buying a 12" aluminum

Hope this helped

"is that a banana in your pocket..or are you just happy to see my cocker?"

Last edited by Bud_Orr. : 09-27-2001 at 05:18 PM.
Old 09-27-2001, 05:16 PM #10
Bud_Orr.

oh and another thing

The Xcel is crap..trust me. I hear lots of bad comments on them and they still are too expensive for what they are. And they are uglier than a witches titty

Remember anything DYE makes will be costly. Boomsticks and the DYE SS, are good..but when you think about it Lapco, J&J, and CP barrels at half the cost have the EXACT same accuracy.
Old 09-27-2001, 05:43 PM #11
Ilyag

*sigh*. You just don't get it, do you "Budd_Orr". Accuraccy won't be determined by the barrel alone, it will be determined by the paint he uses in the barrel. The DYE Xcel is Medium-Bore (I believe) and should fit most brands pretty well.
Old 09-27-2001, 05:53 PM #12
zero Pressence

a quick question, how do you measure a barrel? from the tip to the very end or the tip to the point where it screw in? im guessing the point where it screws in. am i right? thanks for the help guys! im gonna make my decision soon but please give me anymore info on which barrel to get.
Old 09-27-2001, 06:32 PM #13
Aussie Mike

I'd put money on a CP or a Lapco out performing an excel any time - they *are* better barrels.

Budd was basicaly saying the same as me, only slightly more bluntly. Excels are sub-par and they are more expensive to boot. People who recommend them are typically DYE brand fans. Ilyag admits he has never even shot a Lapco (plus he owns a DYE barrel) so I would advise you to weigh his opinions carefully.

Perhaps take a look at www.paintballtimes.com and their big barrel test. It's a pity that DYE lacked the gonads to participate in the test.

(not to confuse you more but you could also consider the J&J ceramic. I also hear very (suprisingly) good things about the 32 degrees carbon fiber barrel. Both these have a great reputation for being able to shoot through a broken ball).

Peace,
Mike.

Quote:
Originally posted by Ilyag
*sigh*. You just don't get it, do you "Budd_Orr". Accuraccy won't be determined by the barrel alone, it will be determined by the paint he uses in the barrel. The DYE Xcel is Medium-Bore (I believe) and should fit most brands pretty well.
Old 09-27-2001, 06:54 PM #14
Ilyag

Yes, I am a DYE Fan. Yes, my opinion maybe somewhat biased. However, on the "DYE did not have the gonads to compete in that test" comment... Take a closer look. Diablo also chose not to send anything. Its not the fact that the two companies lack the "gonads" to compete in these tests, but they may not have any interest in competing in them.
Old 09-27-2001, 06:59 PM #15
Bud_Orr.

Angry wtf is up with Ilyag

hey..first off the Lapco BS and the CP barrels I was talking about were all medium bore. I am clearly aware that accuracy depends on the paint match to the barrel.

Secondly..I will say this bluntly again..the Xcel is a crappy barrel. It looks ugly, and the accuracy is bad. Just accept the fact that DYE overcharges on all their barrels.

I have charts, proving a Lapco, J&J and CP barrels ALL outperform a boomstick in accuracy tests. So for a low-cost DYE barrel such as an Xcel you can make a pre-judgement that the quality will be low.

Just becuase I post things in a newbie forum doesn't mean I am a newbie...so dont tick me off again

"is that a banana in your pocket..or are you just happy to see my cocker?"
Old 09-27-2001, 07:06 PM #16
Aussie Mike

You have to accept the possibility that DYE 'had no interest in competing' because they knew they would not dominate the competition - and the only way to justify some of their prices would be total domination.

Fact is DYE is the BMW of paintball. Yes they make a popular, quality product BUT you have to realize that you are paying some money for the 'badge' and that there are other makes out there that can do the same (or better) for less money. The question is, can you live without the 'street cred'?

Peace,
Mike.
Old 09-27-2001, 07:08 PM #17
Deceit
What?

Deceit is a Supporting Member
lol hey guys its just a stinkin poll on which barrel this kid should get...

dont get your loomers in a bunch...

and you cant say one barrel is better than the other unless it comes to quality...its all paint to bore match nothing else.

a lapco will have its accuracy with one paint and a boomstick will have its accuracy with another. no biggy.

besides i have gotten very good qualtiy with all the barrles listed...but my word dont fight over it its just a message board...so cool it down
Old 09-28-2001, 06:20 PM #18
zero Pressence

Your responses have been intresting to read and helpful for the most part. I decided to go with the CP barrel. Since the dye excel is large bore and that the lapco has same accuracy only louder. Plus the CP looks really sweet. It is 14" Black CP. Thanks for all the help guys!
Old 09-28-2001, 06:50 PM #19
Ilyag

Aussie, before you say something that you don't have proof of, don't say it. How would you KNOW that DYE did not compete in the Paint & Barrel test on paintballtimes.com because they didn't think that their barrels had a chance to score well? Btw Zero - have fun with your barrel. Make sure to get a squeegee before you buy any other piece of gear though
Old 09-29-2001, 10:38 AM #20
Aussie Mike

I never claimed I had proof that's why I said 'the possibility' - a possibility that you seem unable to even acknowledge. Could I point out that you have no proof that what I suggest as a possibility is *not* the case?

zero - good choice (IMO) have fun with your new barrel. If you like the barrel remember that the CPs come in two other bore sizes as well

Peace,
Mike.
Old 09-30-2001, 04:17 PM #21
sorisko

I have the CP one piece and love it... its a great barrel..espically for the price... shoots great...minimal ball breaks... I actually just had my first ball break last night... i have shot a few cases though the barrel.... im very impressed with this barrel