PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 02-20-2006, 12:33 PM #22
SlartyBartFast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinal
? that can't be i ordered my gun and stuff from the states and it came to over $200 my friend shipped it as a gift and i didnt pay any tax on it..
And you can often drive across the border with hundreds of dollars of undeclaired alcohol.

Doesn't mean that it's right. Just means you weren't caught.

Someday, the abuse of "gift" packages will result in the elimination of the gift exemption.
SlartyBartFast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 02-20-2006, 12:51 PM #23
dj q-ball

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlartyBartFast
That would be because they are being accepted as gifts under the tax exemption limit.

You might at least familiarise yourself with the rules:

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/import/co...utiable-e.html
http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/import/co...ty_free-e.html

Only gifts less than 60$ in value are tax exempt.
Yeah ok your talking about GST, HST, and PST (sales tax) I am talking about CUSTOMS DUTIES. Duties are applied to the total value of the shipment based on the % rate applied to that total value using the HTS # (Harmonized Tariff Schedule) www.usitc.gov . Most commodities have a specific classification # and a % rate of duty ie.

But paintball markers and equipment are not specifically named in the Tariff Schedule so they are mostly classified under (below) and have a 4% rate of DUTY. Meaning if your shipment value us $100 your DUTY will be $4.

9/26/2000 Customs Rulings G82314
Classification9506.99.608
The tariff classification of various items used in the game of paintball.

XX MISCELLANEOUS MANUFACTURED ARTICLES
95 TOYS, GAMES AND SPORTS EQUIPMENT; PARTS AND ACCESSORIES
95.06 Articles and equipment for general physical excercise, gymnastics, athletics, other sports (including table-tennis) or outdoor games, not specified or included elsewhere in this chapter; swimming pools and wading pools; parts and accessories thereof:
9506.9 - Other:
9506.99 - - Other:
9506.99.60 - - - Other
9506.99.6040 - - - - Nets not elsewhere specified or included
9506.99.6080 - - - - Other

This does not include clothing, as there are specifically named in chapters 50 through 63.

For some reason the postal service is not subject to customs DUTY. Yes you might have to pay the SALES TAX but not DUTIES.

Last edited by dj q-ball : 02-20-2006 at 12:54 PM.
dj q-ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 01:31 PM #24
dj q-ball

^^^ lets just agree to dis-agree!^^^
dj q-ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 03:01 PM #25
SlartyBartFast

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj q-ball
^^^ lets just agree to dis-agree!^^^
I erased my last post because it wasn't coherent. But, I challenge you to find how postal service is exempt.

As far as duties owed on what isn't a gift or a gift over 200$, well, IMO you roll the dice and take your chances.

However, getting caught once means a lifetime of troubles at the border for you and your packages.

If you want to mark it as "gift", remember that if inspected, the package MUST have a card. No card, it's not considered a gift.
Old 03-01-2006, 05:38 PM #26
SparkyGT
Looking at ( . Y . ) 's

has been a member for 10 years
SparkyGT supports Bob Gurnsey
SparkyGT supports Sherwood Forest
SparkyGT supports Pev's Paintball
orderd 2 used guns from california, the guys lived about 20 miles apart and shipped within a few days of each other, the one gun arrived after 12 days, the other gun took about 40 days, sometimes customs doesnt take stuff in the order it showed up.
SparkyGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 03:21 PM #27
PaulO3M
I AM CANADIAN!!!

PaulO3M is a Supporting Member
I've imported several items from the US with mixed results. Usually there are no problems, and I've never had anything siezed or refused at the border. It's funny how it works though as sometimes you won't be charged any extra fees and the next time you get nailed. But anyways, this is what I've learned over the past couple years of importing paintball goods:
1) imports marked as a gift with a value of less than $60 CDN are tax/duty exempt and any import valued less than $20CDN (gift or not) is tax/duty exempt.
2) paintball markers are completely legal to ship across the border, I actually called customs to make sure of this and the rep told me that as long as they are not replicas of "real" weapons than they are allowed. I guess that means that some milsim paintball markers and airsoft equipment will not be allowed.
3) USPS is the cheapest way to go, although not necessarily the fastest. Once it gets into Canada, Canada Post takes over and delivers it to your door. If the package is subject for duty/taxes, Canada post's brokerage fees are only $5, whereas UPS is $31. However, UPS is much faster and always has tracking available, whereas USPS doesn't always.
4) I shipped an HPA tank across the border, without removing the valve (I just made sure it was emptied first) and it got to me just fine. Here too I contacted Canadian customs first to make sure and the rep said there are no restrictions on shipping paintball compressed air cylinders across the border.
5) Make sure the sender writes clearly on the customs declaration form what the value is. I had a $35US used regulator shipped to me and was assessed taxes based on an $85US value simply because the employee at the USPS office couldn't write clearly. I am currently appealing this and hopefully I will get some of my money back.

My advice, if valued under $60 CDN, mark as a gift. If it is worth quite a bit more than that (like a $1000 marker) you might want to consider declaring the true value simply because if it gets damaged in transit and you try to make an insurance claim for $1000, yet on the customs declaration form the value is only listed as $60, you may find your claim is refused. I'm not 100% sure about this but it is something to consider.
Next, ship with USPS by air, tracking is also nice if the item is expensive enough to warrant it.
Be honest about what's in the package when filling out the customs declaration form. The sure way to get something siezed is by falsifying information.
Finally, when in doubt, call customs first and ask if it is allowed or not. They are really nice people.

Hope this helps,
Paul

"Damn those Canadians! If only they used their politeness for good instead of evil!"
15 reasons to trust me on pbnation

Last edited by PaulO3M : 06-07-2006 at 12:04 AM.
PaulO3M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 04:36 PM #28
Spinal
Spyder ftw

Quote:
Someday, the abuse of "gift" packages will result in the elimination of the gift exemption.
i always thought canada and us had free trade. the government gets enough money, they don't need anymore.
Elite Spyder Owners
Back in black
Spinal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 05:07 PM #29
PaulO3M
I AM CANADIAN!!!

Quote:
i always thought canada and us had free trade. the government gets enough money, they don't need anymore.
There is a free trade agreement between Canada and the US, but it depends entirely on which country the item was manufactured in, some countries have higher duty rates applied to their products than others and some countries are exempt. If your purchase was manufactured in the US and you're importing into Canada, then there should be no duty. It may be subject to taxes, however.

Paul

"Damn those Canadians! If only they used their politeness for good instead of evil!"
Old 04-17-2006, 03:14 PM #30
369clothing

bump that
369clothing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 11:57 PM #31
Duffmcgruff

thanks again, lots of help
Duffmcgruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 08:43 PM #32
Duffmcgruff

ttt
Duffmcgruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 10:41 PM #33
PaulO3M
I AM CANADIAN!!!

Can someone make this thread a sticky? It would be nice if it was visible on the front page. Just my 2 cents.

Old 09-14-2006, 08:21 PM #34
Ethan211

Quote:
ROFL, OMFG You're funny!!
It's probably free trade if you're a large business, because they can afford lobby groups to get the trade laws they want, but the average citizen will never see that free trade.
I bought a marker from a guy, and he marked the value down as $300, so I had to pay $50 when i went to pick up the package. I wish I had known about that 'repaired/replaced under warranty' deal.

Me: "WFT?!?! He actually put down the FULL value? ****!"
Government: "Your honestly is appreciated, comrade."
Ethan211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 11:09 AM #35
SlartyBartFast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethan211
Me: "WFT?!?! He actually put down the FULL value? ****!"
Government: "Your honestly is appreciated, comrade."
Well, first off, free trade means that goods can be shipped without import controls, duties, or exclusionary practices.

Unlike what the US keeps doing by putting special charges on all sorts of Canadian exports to the US.

It does not mean the importer can avoid paying local taxes.

Just like you are supposed to pay local sales tax on all purchases. So, if you mail order from another state or province, the seller doesn't need to charge you THEIR sales tax. You do however owe your state/province the local sales tax.

But, many states/provinces have reciprocal agreements. Also, if the company you order from ALSO does business in your state/province, they are not allowed to avoid collecting taxes by shipping from out of state/province.

As for "comrade"... If you don't like it, go live in the woods and stop using common public services...
Old 09-30-2006, 11:12 AM #36
sniper14

ya shipping ups is a big dif i just got a gun and it had a 80$ charge wheni got it.. almost wat i payed fir it,,
sniper14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 02:12 PM #37
Ethan211

Quote:
Well, first off, free trade means that goods can be shipped without import controls, duties, or exclusionary practices.
Picture of Customs Form
Let's start here: I would draw your attention to the parts I have circled in red, which are clearly marked as 'Duty'. This means I paid duty on this package, and duties are used to make buying foreign products more expensive, and therefore less attractive; this is an exclusionary practice. That 'handling fee' also looks like a screw-you fee from where I'm standing.
Second, when was the last time you payed tax on a private sale? Never? That's what I thought. Regardless of where he lived, he doesn't operate a business, so buying something from him is the same as buying it from my neighbor or a kid at my local field.
Even when buying/selling cars worth tens of thousands of dollars, you can tick the 'gift' box on the form, and have the applicable sales tax waived [Depending on the province, and with some restrictions].
And finally, I'm a good citizen, and I pay my taxes. I pay income tax, I indirectly pay property tax, and I pay sales tax every time I take care of my bills or make a trip to the store. I make very little use of public services by staying out of trouble with the police and justice system, barely even using public highways [I bike], and not being a drain on the healthcare system by staying thin, exercising, and not smoking [Yes, I'm looking at you].
I don't appreciate shelling out even more of my hard-earned money when I already live in one of the most-taxed countries in the world.

Last edited by Ethan211 : 10-08-2006 at 02:20 PM.
Old 10-29-2006, 12:46 AM #38
{TWC} GUNHEAD
Canadian Justice

I just received my 07 shocker from Punishers Paintball supply in Pennsylvania....I was expecting to pay duty etc....I got it from post office prepared to pay..they handed me a huge box and said have a nice day....I more or less ran out thinking they forgot to ask but no..no duty paid here..SWEET

THE OTHER 2% ARE FROM ONTARIO AND THEY SAY, 'HOLD MY BEER AND WATCH THIS.'

vodka-$19.99, motel room-$74.99, condoms-$4.99, finding out she swallows and takes it in the ***...**** mastercard, it pays to discover.
{TWC} GUNHEAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 09:51 PM #39
HoyPoy

I'm planning on buying a new shocker from the states and don't want to pay the duty. Will putting "repaired/replaced under warranty" on it make it duty free?
Old 12-06-2006, 04:59 AM #40
Ethan211

Well, it's probably too late to help you now, but I wouldn't buy retail if I were you. I very much doubt that any business would be willing to make a false declaration to customs just so that some kid can avoid paying duties, but somebody selling their marker in the BST would probably hook you up.
Old 12-06-2006, 08:36 AM #41
PaulO3M
I AM CANADIAN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethan211 View Post
Even when buying/selling cars worth tens of thousands of dollars, you can tick the 'gift' box on the form, and have the applicable sales tax waived [Depending on the province, and with some restrictions]

Sorry, but you're wrong.

These are the rules for postal imports and "gifts":
1) Any postal import valued less than $20 CDN is NOT subject to taxes or duties (or brokerage fees) regardless of whether it is marked as a gift or not.
2) Any postal import valued at less than $60 CDN and marked as a gift is NOT subject to taxes or duties (no brokerage fees either).
3) Any postal import valued more than $60 CDN is subject to taxes and duty charges, regardless of whether or not it is marked as a gift.
4) These rules are the same for ALL provinces, the only difference between provinces is which taxes you pay. It Manitoba, I have to pay both PST and GST whereas in Alberta you'd just have to pay GST.

Sometimes, you can mark a postal import as a "gift" even though it has a value over $60CDN and get away without paying any taxes or duty, but this is the luck of the draw. I've had packages valued at $100 arrive at my doorstep with no fees to pay and they weren't even marked as gifts. I don't think customs has the manpower or time to check every package so they just do as many as they can and forget the rest.

Cars are always subject to taxes/duty. Car parts however, if they are to be used for personal use and not for resale are tax FREE. If you are building or repairing a car for your own use you don't have to pay taxes on the parts you ship in from the U.S. If you plan on selling that car when you are done, then you are required to pay taxes on it.

Paul

Old 12-09-2006, 09:14 PM #42
Jimmytall

The above poster said it best... Customs doesn't have the man power to check everything. Which is why I like buying things in Dec, less chance it will get hit by duties and taxes.

If your Compressed Air tank is inspected by customs it MUST have a TC number to be brought into the country. If it's not a Transport Canada certified product, then customs won't clear it.

Picking things up and bringing them across the border without declaring them is "Smuggling" and is illegal... I'd try very hard not to get caught. (The best way is not to do it)

If you get hit by Duty, it's most likely to be a handling fee and 14% tax.

UPS and FedEx are both rather expensive, FedEx dropped the ball on me once a couple years back, they refunded the seller, so that's ok.

USPS Global Express Mail is THE way to go.

All in all I'm a huge fan of shipping across the border... I've had Canadian retailers try and charge me TRIPLE the price I saw listed in the US... on a part I ended up getting FREE from Tippmann.... Usually, I can save about 10-15% even after the currency conversion, Shipping, and duty.

That said, I don't mind supporting local retailers, if I get decent service, and the price tags don't make me like I'm in a prison shower.
Jimmytall is offline   Reply With Quote