PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 12-05-2012, 10:05 AM #1
benzy2
angry bird

has been a member for 10 years
Setting up a fast mag

I've been a bit bored with paintball of late so I've went back and started "collecting" some of the top tier markers from 5-10 years ago that I couldn't afford at the time but always lust after. It's amazing how a $1000+ marker from just a few years back now sells for under $200. Anyways...

In this buying phase I picked up an X-valved ULE mag. It has the LVL 10 installed as well as a ULT. I look back at some of those older mag videos, the ones where Zac Vetter gets it ripping into the mid 30's and I start to wonder how he had the marker set up. I've always wanted a 30 bps capable marker, for no other reason than to demonstrate a couple times a year and waste a bunch of paint in the backyard. So now I'm looking at what needs done to the marker to get there.

I know that I'll need an air supply that puts out as high of a pressure as possible. I'm looking into a couple older AA tank regs and have seen a few flatlines of late pop up fairly well priced. I also realize that a Q-loader is going to be about the only thing to consistently keep up with something this fast and have some leads on one of those.

After looking over the tech links on AO I see how the LVL 10 works. It sounds like it is a bit slower cycling bolt than the LVL 7, even if fast enough to work for anything possible on field. If you were building a marker purely for speed, would you go with a LVL 7 or 10 bolt? I am unfamiliar with the operation of the ULT but it seems it drops quite a bit of the reactivity of X-valve while lightening weight quite a bit. It seems like I would need to swap in an RT on/off as well or can the ULT be tuned (add or subtract shims) to give an extreme RT effect?

Even if I end up not messing with this mag to make it an absolute top speed freak it's a marker I've wanted back since I sold my pneumag and I'm happy to be back in the mag family.
benzy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 12-05-2012, 10:16 AM #2
renie

I personally find the ULT shoots nicer than my RT on/off , some people find it a bit of a pain to setup, I've never had any problems and it rips, I use a ninja 1200psi reg which gives me at least 25+BPS
I run a rotor with mine and it doesn't miss a beat, level 10 is a must at those rates of fire unless you want soup
renie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 02:40 PM #3
demented pumper
Bearded Works

if i had to pick i would run a rt valve, lvl7, rt on/off and a super short pin. but you will run into feed issues. but it would be suppppper fast.

i find that the rtvalves just seem to rt a little better others will say differently.
BW Email

I buy Automags and Mag Parts!!

Feedback Link
demented pumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 04:32 PM #4
Freedy500

Freedy500 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
keep the level ten unless if you somehow can put electronic eyes in your RT mag. The level ten is the best unless you want the fastest chopping marker which I dont think would depict mags well. Get a SUPER high PSI. Ninja SHP are great and Armageddon regs are even better. Make sure you have a very large HPA tank as you will be insanely inefficient. ULT may damage your marker if you make it so it does nothing but RT if when you get it to RT. Dont shorten your pin either as you will yet again not be able to do anything but RT. If you get a uber high pressure with a good grip that suits you best when it comes to precision then you should be set.

Please dont use the Qloader unless you will be truly dedicated to it. The Q is only good if you are actually dedicated to it and treat it as a piece of hardware that requires precision, patience and tuning. Unlike other feeding systems that you just plug in a battery and throw paint in it and your ready to go.

Overall feed-system wise I suggest you choose the Dye Rotor although the Qloader is the best choice but you have to truly be dedicated to it and it requires plenty of patience. if you have any questions on Qloaders then you can pm me anything about it as I have been using it for years and I have pretty much mastered its use and I can use it flawlessly. Just takes patience and time.
Old 12-05-2012, 07:22 PM #5
demented pumper
Bearded Works

actually you can shorten the on/off pin and not see any issues unless it is extremely short. but even with repeated rting you will see wear in the bolt and sear. and really high pressure tanks are not as necessary as high flow/recharge.
BW Email

Feedback Link
Old 12-05-2012, 08:07 PM #6
Freedy500

but with a normal sized pin you can control the BPS more and you can get it to be a long rope of paint really fast or really fast short bursts of fire.
Old 12-05-2012, 08:41 PM #7
demented pumper
Bearded Works

he isnt looking to control it. he just said he wants to build a mag for pure speed to take out several times a year and thats it to just blow paint.
BW Email

Feedback Link
Old 12-05-2012, 09:11 PM #8
Freedy500

yeah but I would think if you cant do anything but RT you wont be able to allowed to use that mag' the few times a year unless if he switches the pin out after chrono or whatever. I do the same thing twice a year. I have 20 minutes in spring and in fall of pure non-stop spray and pray. No BPS cap, Ironman, only out if you either run out of paint, air or the balls to go on (or you put yourself in danger). And I push my mag to as fast as it goes like Zak vetter but thats just for 40 minutes out of the year with no changes to my mag. I only RT non-stop during that. The rest of the year I usually do some controlled bursts of fire and I only RT like crazy when dry-firing just to keep heads down until I finish reloading. Besides all of that the high input pressure is the actual way your are supposed to RT, the way AGD intended it to and I think mid 30s is as fast as you would even want to shoot when it comes to your wallet.
Old 12-05-2012, 09:48 PM #9
DMex
AKA: Ando

If you're wanting to go "plaid" speed. Just removed a certain oring. It'll cycle as long as you hold the trigger down.
Old 12-06-2012, 12:28 AM #10
tonloc91483

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMex View Post
If you're wanting to go "plaid" speed. Just removed a certain oring. It'll cycle as long as you hold the trigger down.
do tell which o-ring please
Old 12-06-2012, 06:56 AM #11
warchild69

Was wondering the same thing.... Subscribed for answer
warchild69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 08:20 AM #12
Zondo
One of 8 bosses...

Quote:
Now where did I see that post... hmmmm...
Zondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 08:57 AM #13
Jedihippie
My backpack's got jets

Jedihippie is a Paintball photographer
Jedihippie is playing at Living Legends VI
Jedihippie is playing at Living Legends VII
Jedihippie is playing at Living Legends VIII
Jedihippie is playing at Living Legends Dreaded
Jedihippie has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
hmmmmmm
"Reminds me of the kids that bolt on exhausts, wings and vinyl cutouts onto their rice mobiles and then hate on a ground up resto rodded 69 Camaro" -OPBN
"Due to the Berzerkers rep and knowledge of Mag awesomeness, the opposing team dropped their markers and are actually out of the frame curled up in fetal positions" -OPBN... Again
Jedihippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 04:25 PM #14
inmylife2415
SBPB

inmylife2415 supports DLX Technology
inmylife2415 supports Shocker RSX
on/off oring
inmylife2415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 08:36 PM #15
Jaccen

Quote:
Use the schwartz!

How one goes plaid.
Jaccen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 10:16 AM #16
Freedy500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaccen View Post
Use the schwartz!

How one goes plaid.
"my god they've gone plaid!"
Old 12-07-2012, 10:20 AM #17
Jedihippie
My backpack's got jets

PREPARE SHIP ~cough~ Prepare ship for ludicrous speed! Fasten all seatbelts, seal all entrances and exits, close all shops in the mall, cancel the three ring circus, secure all animals in the zoo!

My brains are going into my feet!
"Reminds me of the kids that bolt on exhausts, wings and vinyl cutouts onto their rice mobiles and then hate on a ground up resto rodded 69 Camaro" -OPBN
"Due to the Berzerkers rep and knowledge of Mag awesomeness, the opposing team dropped their markers and are actually out of the frame curled up in fetal positions" -OPBN... Again
Old 12-07-2012, 06:52 PM #18
Freedy500

Okay five minute break!

We should go back to month python and the holy grail quotes. Those were good.
Old 12-07-2012, 10:08 PM #19
benzy2
angry bird

Just to be clear, this is strictly to shoot at trees in the back yard now any then. I've got two different setups for game/shooting at people use. Just when you get the itch type of thing.

I've got one of renie's (told the work was done by him) angel sleeper pneumag frames today. Also have the Iframe and ULT for the non-pneu days.

The plan here is to crank her up to 11 for nothing more than the joy of doing so. That's why I was looking at the lvl 7 instead of the lvl 10. In a game, I'll take the lvl 10 every time. For this project, I want as much cycling speed as possible so I questioned the lvl 7. Basically looking to see how close I can come to the old 30+bps videos without being hooked to a scuba, though I do have the scuba for when it gets boring without it.

Does the RT valve run faster than the X-valve? I've got a spare RT valve (one oring in the on/off so no ULT) but didn't think there was a functional difference between it and an X-valve. The RT on/off and a short pin with a lvl 7 (happen to have one of those laying around as well) was my original plan. I'd like to not end up with just soup (reason for working with the Q loader) but if it goes that way a few times, the trees aren't fighting back. I also am fine with replacing a sear or two. Not a big cost item and not something I would expect to have to replace all that often still. Just need to find me a high output tank/reg next and toss some of the parts together.
benzy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 10:25 PM #20
Jedihippie
My backpack's got jets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedy500 View Post
Okay five minute break!

We should go back to month python and the holy grail quotes. Those were good.
WHAT is the average flying speed of an unlaiden swallow?

hmmm... African or European?

How should I know AAAAAAAARRRRGGGGGHHHHH
Old 12-07-2012, 11:45 PM #21
Freedy500

What are you talking about? Your god damn arms have been chopped off.

It is just a flesh wound.
Now have at you!