Community Focus
Community Focus

Archived Thread - Cannot Edit  
Old 12-11-2001, 04:44 PM #1
HomerPepsi

HomerPepsi is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
Cocking pressure?

How does one lower the cocking pressure? No, i dont mean adjusting it the pnue reg, but lowering to about 50-40 psi without buying a freeflow?

-Homer
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 12-12-2001, 01:41 PM #2
WarpSpeed

i would like to know the answer to this one too? anyone?
Old 12-12-2001, 02:08 PM #3
Yochinaman
Gun Gigolo

Yochinaman is a founding member
Here, I've done some searching for you.

https://www.pbnation.com/showthread.p...threadid=38158
https://www.pbnation.com/showthread.p...threadid=37894
https://www.pbnation.com/showthread.p...threadid=33568
https://www.pbnation.com/showthread.p...threadid=32848

Yochi.
Old 12-12-2001, 04:21 PM #4
Rob Zombie

ok, this is how you do it.

ok, to beable to lower your cocking pressure, you need to get a heavier hammer ( like the free flow hammer, or the belsales hammer) and then use a lighter mainspring ( like maddmann springs, nelson springs, free flow springs, belsales sprigs, etc.), and then ( this is not nessecary but it will help) you can get a low pressure ram ( like the STO ram) and then you just adjust your cocking pressure lower.
Old 12-12-2001, 05:55 PM #5
HomerPepsi

HomerPepsi is a Supporting Member
So where can I get a freeflow hammer and springs?

Would I have a chop proof gun with those two on my current setup?

Superfly
STO Ram
Bomb
Micro Rock
and so on.... but thats all that really matters, anyway.

-Homer
Old 12-12-2001, 06:20 PM #6
Cockerdawg

Only if you add the heavier hammer and springs. And by the way, I'm not sure exactly why, but on some infosheet on some big autococker website, it might have been the autococker owners group, it said not to get anything Micro. The smaller it is, the more air it will need to do something that a larger piece can do without near as much air. BTW, anyone else heard of this and know exactly why, and also, Is the shocktech hammer alot different from a free flow or besales hammer?
Old 12-12-2001, 08:44 PM #7
Rob Zombie

ok.

ok, first I would say get the belsales hammer I have it and my gun never chops, and also it is my personnal favorite, you can get it at www.smartparts.com, or from the belsales website, and for the free flow hammer it which is my second favorite hammer kit you can get it at either www.propaintball.com, or www.proffesionalpaintball.com ( I forgot the exact url so I put them both, but one of those 2 url's should work).
Old 12-13-2001, 02:05 AM #8
WarpSpeed

I am curious, why must you have a gun operating on a lower pressure to not chop balls. It would make sense that you just turn down the cocking pressure. You can still lower the cocking pressure, even if the gun's operating pressure is say at 400psi or so right. I dont see how the guns operating pressure will have a direct effect on cocking pressure
Old 12-13-2001, 02:12 AM #9
pfn

The operating pressure has no bearing on the cocking pressure. That is true.

The main benefit of a heavy hammer to low *cocking* pressure is that you are able to use a much softer spring while still retaining the same amount of potential energy with which you can strike the valve.

With a heavy enough hammer, it can be as if you are using a stiffer spring, thus holding the valve open longer (causing more gas to flow), in turn, you would lower the operating pressure to compensate.
Old 12-13-2001, 05:01 AM #10
WarpSpeed

ok, well i know that stuff but I guess what im trying to get at, is what sets a free flow apart from a standard vert feed cocker. What enables it to recock at such a low pneumatic pressure. Isn't that what this guy who start this topic is asking?

It's more then just adjusting the pneumatic pressure right? I mean in a sense if that were the case wouldn't i be able to drop the pressure on my pneumatic reg, and bam instant free flow properties????

Or is it the addition of the true arbor honing that helps it to cycle at a much lower pressure also?
Old 12-13-2001, 08:19 AM #11
nervosa

The answer to your question is: buy a new valve that is high flow and cycles at a much lower pressure.
Old 12-13-2001, 01:06 PM #12
pfn

Hmm, why'd I answer with info about the hammer... *shrug*

In any case, FF's cycle at low pressure because of all of its components, the valve, springs, ram, and bore and hone job.
Old 12-13-2001, 02:08 PM #13
WarpSpeed

nervosa,

but then again even if you did get a aftermarket valve, that is more related to the operating pressure, and getting an aftermarket valve will not have a direct effect on cocking pressure. The cocking pressure is still totally different, and I dont see how an aftermarket valve will help with the lowering COCKING pressure, not gun operating pressure.

someone should be able to explain this to me, I am confused.

Last edited by WarpSpeed : 12-13-2001 at 02:15 PM.
Old 12-13-2001, 02:18 PM #14
pfn

WarpSpeed, look at my post, it explains what's going on.

The main requirement in being able to cycle low is the ram and the main spring. All the other parts are required because the main spring requires additional parts to go with it.
Old 12-13-2001, 03:12 PM #15
dirtraven

dirtraven is playing at Living Legends VII
dirtraven owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
dirtraven supports Team VICIOUS
since i'm bored at work...

Let's start it this way, what does your ram drive? It has to move 3 things, the bolt, back block and hammer. The lighter the components (cept the hammer because of the lighten springs (this is where 'PFN' explanation comes in)) and the low drag that the bolt and the hammer has, due to the honing of the chambers respectively. This will require less energy in turn less pressure to move the 3 components.

Let me know if I'm on the wrong track to your question
Old 12-13-2001, 03:26 PM #16
pfn

Actually, drag is negated because it affects both directions of travel. Although, if the drag is not consistent, it could cause rough handling of the ball.

Weight only affects the amount of time required to cock given a cocking pressure. They don't have to be super light in order to cycle quickly.

So, the only remaining force to overcome is that of the spring.
Old 12-13-2001, 07:07 PM #17
Cockerdawg

Okay, if you have a light spring, then it will make it easier for the Ram to cock the gun. The operating pressure has no real effect on the cocking pressure. But the lighter your main spring is, the easier it is to cock, therefore requiring less air pressure, and less pressure on the ball when it pinches it.
Old 12-13-2001, 07:18 PM #18
pfn

Yes, that's what we've all been saying, a light main spring means a light cocking pressure, means a light force applied on the ball when the bolt closes.
Old 12-13-2001, 07:33 PM #19
Cockerdawg

Yea, I was just trying to make it a little clearer to him.
Old 12-13-2001, 09:41 PM #20
Rob Zombie

yes.

yes,exactly, think of it this way if you put a heavier hammer in then you can put a really light mainspring in and still hit the valve with the same force, and then because the really light mainspring is in the gun when the ram pushes back on the back block and pulls the hammer back it has to overcome less force therefore it needs less energy ( pressure) to operate ( cycle) and then you can lower your cocking pressure, thus letting you pinch balls instead of chopping them.
Old 12-13-2001, 11:30 PM #21
WarpSpeed

ohhhhhhh. Ok, i guess i was thinking too hard. I see what you are talking about when you refer to the spring now....

And this is also all apart of going low pressure right. I see now. sorry, i didn't realize that going low pressure also benfits the cocking pressure, I mean I did, but.....

Ok that helps! thanks guys. And I hope i wasn't coming off as arrogant or anything. I just didn't understand.

Thanks again