PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 10-10-2012, 01:35 PM #1
Freak1

has been a member for 10 years
Question Reffing question....sneaky

Both Fri and Sat games that I watched had players after playing their match would throw on a Ref jersey and Ref their own division the very next game. The jerseys were underneath one of the 50 wings and they even had their packs on while reffing. It wasn't just one ref, it was like 2 every other game that I watched. I know I saw this in D3 personally, could have been happening in other divisions as well.

Is this allowed? I don't want to start a ref bashing thread because we know thats not gonna solve anything. This was my first nppl event that I came solely to watch and support other teams. Just want to know how players can play and ref their own division.

PLEASE DONT BASH THE REFS ON THIS THREAD, just comment on above question please.

Last edited by Freak1 : 10-10-2012 at 02:07 PM.
Freak1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 10-10-2012, 02:24 PM #2
cybermaniac15

cybermaniac15 plays in the PSP
 plays in the NXL
cybermaniac15 supports Team VICIOUS
cybermaniac15 plays in the APPA D2 division
One of the guys I know shot up a ref cause he saw the pack and thought he was a player.
Want to sell a broken gun? PM me
Giant Gearbag Sale:
https://www.pbnation.com/showthread.p...6#post94881146
cybermaniac15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 03:34 PM #3
H0St1LE

I shot one up because he was laying down in the lane of the snake like an extra beam. He moved pretty fast.
H0St1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 07:21 PM #4
DusTNutz
Babyneck free!

DusTNutz plays in the APPA D4 division
As a ref i wore my pack to help protect myself. I was also wearing a couple shirts and my old team jersey under my ref jersey. Not because i was playing, just for extra padding and such.

What field did you see this on?
Old 10-10-2012, 07:31 PM #5
SUKEBEinc
CEO

I seen this, on field 3
SUKEBEinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 09:47 PM #6
monkeyballer099639
monkeyballer

plays in the NXL
monkeyballer099639 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
monkeyballer099639 plays in the APPA D4 division
monkeyballer099639 supports DLX Technology
If a person is reffing in an NPPL event, then he/she is not allowed to play the event. Like stated above, most refs use their pack as extra padding (and to carry water) and wear another jersey under their ref jersey to provide more protection.

If you ever have any concerns about referees at any paintball event, most ref jerseys have numbers on them. You can ask a tournament staff member (be polite) about the ref in question and if he/she is rostered on any team playing.

Evolution Sports
Zombie Unicorn Attack
monkeyballer099639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 10:52 PM #7
DusTNutz
Babyneck free!

DusTNutz plays in the APPA D4 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUKEBEinc View Post
I seen this, on field 3
I was on field 3 all weekend. None of our reffs were playing. I think you are mistaken.
Old 10-12-2012, 03:48 PM #8
Freak1

sorry for late reply

Is it normal for referees to have packs full with full pods? Full pods with paintballs in them? I didn't get any ref numbers but I remember seeing player from one of the D3 matches walk to the center 50 gun in hand from the dead box area(literally out of deadbox with team jersey on), change into ref jersey and ref next game, possibly next few games.

I was suspicous after seeing games with refs with packs on, so I watched more closely after this specific game. Just so happened I saw what I was afraid of. Just needed clarification on issue.

Didn't bother getting team names, player names as I really wasn't there to do anything but watch. But if I was playing that would definetly bother me.

This occured on field to the right of center court if you were looking at the parking deck, not sure of field number.

Thanks for the replies back and am looking forward to see what other people have to say on issue
Old 10-13-2012, 11:57 AM #9
monkeyballer099639
monkeyballer

plays in the NXL
monkeyballer099639 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
monkeyballer099639 plays in the APPA D4 division
monkeyballer099639 supports DLX Technology
You can always contact the NPPL to get clarification about what was happening.

Evolution Sports
Zombie Unicorn Attack
monkeyballer099639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 01:00 PM #10
EPluribusUnum

EPluribusUnum plays in the PSP
EPluribusUnum owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
EPluribusUnum plays in the APPA D4 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak1 View Post
Is it normal for referees to have packs full with full pods? Full pods with paintballs in them? I didn't get any ref numbers but I remember seeing player from one of the D3 matches walk to the center 50 gun in hand from the dead box area(literally out of deadbox with team jersey on), change into ref jersey and ref next game, possibly next few games.

I was suspicous after seeing games with refs with packs on, so I watched more closely after this specific game. Just so happened I saw what I was afraid of. Just needed clarification on issue.

Didn't bother getting team names, player names as I really wasn't there to do anything but watch. But if I was playing that would definetly bother me.

This occured on field to the right of center court if you were looking at the parking deck, not sure of field number.

Thanks for the replies back and am looking forward to see what other people have to say on issue
So it didnt bother you enough to walk 50 feet to the registration booth and ask questions, but then you decided to come home and write about it on pbnation creating a debacle over the internet? And we are all supposed to just believe what you say with no proof because.....
Old 10-13-2012, 04:22 PM #11
niteowl79er
Professional Rookie

niteowl79er plays in the APPA D4 division
niteowl79er supports Shocker RSX
niteowl79er supports Ninja Paintball
I reffed NPPL for several years...yes I wore my team jersey like stated above, for extra protection...pod pack...yes, believe it or not, it is good on the back from standing from dusk till dawn. Pods...yup, if a team leaves pods full of paint laying around, would you just leave them there!?!?!? I wouldn't and didn't.

You did not see any reffs both work and play the same event. Guaranteed.

APX Gear!!
Play some Bloody Knuckle Paintball...HINGEMAN INC.

A man is not finished when he is defeated, He is finished when he quits.......Richard Nixon.
niteowl79er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 09:17 AM #12
painthappy
Painthappy

painthappy is a founding member
painthappy is a Paintball photographer
painthappy is playing at Living Legends VIII
painthappy supports Bob Gurnsey
Pods found on the field are usually tossed to the side. Not slid into pod packs. Seems very unprofessional to be stealing other people's pods and not giving them back.

Toss them off out of bounds to the side where the team can come get them, as opposed to having them in your pack where no one can find them, or can get to them during the next 2 hours with teams coming off and on before you break.

Found some photos on the net... Friday games, ref wearing a full pod pack by the looks, with his shirt not even over the pack.

ref_pod_pack.jpg

ref-Pod_pack2.jpg

ref-pod_packs3.jpg

I wasn't there, no idea myself, but I find this discussion very interesting.

That, and at least we know that the OP was making it up about the packs.

Last edited by painthappy : 10-15-2012 at 09:19 AM.
painthappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 11:28 AM #13
neverenuf

neverenuf owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
if you have reffed a tournament you know that you always wear a pod back, it sucks getting shot in your lower back all day.
Old 10-15-2012, 12:13 PM #14
painthappy
Painthappy

painthappy is a founding member
painthappy is a Paintball photographer
painthappy is playing at Living Legends VIII
painthappy supports Bob Gurnsey
Quote:
Originally Posted by neverenuf View Post
if you have reffed a tournament you know that you always wear a pod back, it sucks getting shot in your lower back all day.

You should tell that to these guys who reffed on the next day...

no_packs.jpg

I don't care either way, but to alieviate any future issues, it would be nice if there were a set of rules (think uniform) these folks would follow. Same color masks, pants, etc.

Frankly even the jerseys look like something a normal team would be wearing.

I've shot many a ref due to them coming around a bunker and taking a quick shot because I saw a black mask. Bright colors folks. If you're going to have "protected" colors... You might want to think about having the refs IN those protected colors.
Old 10-15-2012, 06:15 PM #15
Freak1

You don't have to beleive what I posted, was just a simple question and observations of what I saw while watching the games.

About this whole pack thing, 7 full pods on a refs back vs a pack empty are 2 different things(most 7 man teams carry this for games or more). I personally wouldnt mind if they were for extra protection. But it just makes it little more obvious about the above post that I made.

I just wish I had my candid camera rolling when I saw the one specific game that I described in my 2nd post. If there were no other witnesses to this, then lets all just sweep it under the rug and forget about it. Just make sure next event if you spectate bring a camera. Makes for some lovely conversations later.

I have done what I came to do if you would like to debate among yourselves whether this happened or not and wish you all good luck next year.
Old 10-15-2012, 09:36 PM #16
Amac
ThisISPaintball.ca

Amac is a Paintball photographer
Amac plays in the PSP
Amac is playing at Living Legends V
Quote:
Originally Posted by painthappy View Post
I've shot many a ref due to them coming around a bunker and taking a quick shot because I saw a black mask.
Now Carter we all know that you probably shot at the ref because he was in the way of your target that or you just like to get even with refs. Bhaaa.

I will say the reffing was greatly improved from DC, even on day one they seems a bit to over the top to sort of set the trend for the event. I would like to say that I paid enough attention to games to not notice anything under the 50 Wings and seeing that was were I was playing most of the event I cannot say I noticed anything while being on the field.

Doubt someone is going to make up a story of seeing a player put on a ref jersey and seeing that in DC they did say some ref were volunteering and we shouldn't complain on the quality of reffing I wouldn't be surprised.

Canadian Response Pump
ThisISPaintball
Paintball Photography

Seasons Past:
Spikes 5010, Spikes Fuel Xtreme, Mystic Warriors, South Coast Stealers, Birmingham Bulldogs, Inro-MORTIFIEURS, ChopShop, CRUsh, SportAgressor Russia & Canadian Express

Last edited by Amac : 10-15-2012 at 09:41 PM.
Amac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 09:57 PM #17
axtell1234
HAS NO CONCEPT

axtell1234 plays in the PSP
 plays in the NXL
axtell1234 owns a Planet Eclipse CS1
axtell1234 is attending Decay of Nations VI
I know for sure there were ref that had packs on and had empty pods, full pods and bottles of water. This is not uncommon. Lots of ref do this. As far as stealing pods..... Hahaha have you ever reffed a national event? Teams leave all kinds of pods on the field as a ref it is not our job to chase team down and return every pod. Sorry not going to happen!
Old 10-18-2012, 10:22 AM #18
neverenuf

neverenuf owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Quote:
Originally Posted by axtell1234 View Post
I know for sure there were ref that had packs on and had empty pods, full pods and bottles of water. This is not uncommon. Lots of ref do this. As far as stealing pods..... Hahaha have you ever reffed a national event? Teams leave all kinds of pods on the field as a ref it is not our job to chase team down and return every pod. Sorry not going to happen!
this!

Plus they are pods, we went through almost a 100 in vegas. If the refs want to grab them for standing out in the heat all day getting blasted....well im ok with that.
Old 11-12-2012, 01:33 PM #19
eforce
Factory PB

eforce is a Moderator
eforce plays in the PSP
eforce is an NCPA player
Packs support your back, reduce the discomfort of getting shot in the back/stomach, and can be used to carry things like phones, water, microfibers, spare penalty flags, and other goodies. Many teams abandon pods, sometimes full of good paint, and leave the premises. This is fair game for refs. Seeing a pack on a referee, even with a full set of filled pods, is not grounds for assuming that he is playing.
eforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 01:39 PM #20
haynboy8223
Fear is only an illusion!

is playing at Living Legends XI
haynboy8223 is one of the top 250 posters on PbNation
haynboy8223 is a top reviewer
Quote:
Originally Posted by eforce View Post
Packs support your back, reduce the discomfort of getting shot in the back/stomach, and can be used to carry things like phones, water, microfibers, spare penalty flags, and other goodies. Many teams abandon pods, sometimes full of good paint, and leave the premises. This is fair game for refs. Seeing a pack on a referee, even with a full set of filled pods, is not grounds for assuming that he is playing.
Well said!!!
haynboy8223 is offline   Reply With Quote