Community Focus

Old 01-02-2013, 08:19 PM #1
Mason74

Mason74 owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
Mason74 supports Team VICIOUS
Mason74 is for the Gunfight
Mason74 has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Shooting lefty tips question

So my left hand is completely retarded. It seems I can't get myself to walk the trigger like a normal human being. I've always move and played to my right as a result, and generally ignored the whole left hand thing.

I want to become a better player, so just curious if anyone had any advice on this... Is it just a matter of practice and getting the muscle memory down, rhythm, Etc?
Mason74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 01-02-2013, 09:31 PM #2
Remyisx

Remyisx is attending Decay of Nations VI
As lame as it sounds you just have to use it more. Anytime you pick your marker up put it in your left hand. So it gets to holding it and being there. And when you go to play or whatever force yourself to play the side of the field that makes you use your left hand.
Remyisx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 11:10 PM #3
Funky Mo Fo
Funky Since 1979

Funky Mo Fo owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Funky Mo Fo has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Funky Mo Fo has perfected Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
I've always wondered why you have to switch hands at all. I just put my tank against my other shoulder and aim with the other eye. Switching hands takes too much time and doesn't improve my profile at all. Why bother?
Dragon G6R
Funky Mo Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 11:44 PM #4
Paper_Cut
Keyboard Warrior

has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funky Mo Fo View Post
I've always wondered why you have to switch hands at all. I just put my tank against my other shoulder and aim with the other eye. Switching hands takes too much time and doesn't improve my profile at all. Why bother?
It's much more stable to switch hands and as you do it a lot it becomes muscle memory it only takes a split second.

As for the thread starter: just practice. There isn't some secret everyone has kept hidden from you, just keep playing left handed and walking the trigger at home until it feels natural.
Paper_Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 05:40 AM #5
Funky Mo Fo
Funky Since 1979

Funky Mo Fo owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Funky Mo Fo has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Funky Mo Fo has perfected Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paper_Cut View Post

It's much more stable to switch hands and as you do it a lot it becomes muscle memory it only takes a split second.

As for the thread starter: just practice. There isn't some secret everyone has kept hidden from you, just keep playing left handed and walking the trigger at home until it feels natural.
You are right that the process will get easier/faster/smoother with practice, but I still don't see the point in doing it in the first place.

I've stood in front of the mirror and looked at my profile with my hands in same position vs. switched and I just don't see any difference that would warrant learning how to shoot left handed.
Dragon G6R
Funky Mo Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 05:41 AM #6
pbkidminion
minion

pbkidminion owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
pbkidminion supports Team VICIOUS
pbkidminion supports Team VICIOUS
pbkidminion plays in the APPA D4 division
Shoot lefty during rec ball more often. Shoot lefty in the mirror. Just do it more so it becomes natural.
-Hell Survivors Mercenary #77-

Sandana Owners Club
pbkidminion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 08:16 AM #7
Paper_Cut
Keyboard Warrior

Quote:
You are right that the process will get easier/faster/smoother with practice, but I still don't see the point in doing it in the first place.

I've stood in front of the mirror and looked at my profile with my hands in same position vs. switched and I just don't see any difference that would warrant learning how to shoot left handed.
Like I said, it is more stable to fully switch hands.
Paper_Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 01:23 PM #8
Cc_inc

When learning to shoot with my left hand I just forced myself to play on sides of the field that made me shoot that way. Don't worry about it, you will become comfortable with it before you know it, just keep practicing.
Cc_inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:10 PM #9
Mason74

Mason74 owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
Mason74 supports Team VICIOUS
Mason74 is for the Gunfight
Mason74 has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
While I hate the lefty thing, u expose urself too much if u don't shoot lefty.

Last edited by Mason74 : 01-07-2013 at 09:28 PM.
Mason74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 06:48 PM #10
mushumatt

My first NPPL team I played with my left hand shooting was horrible, my coach forced me to shoot only with my left hand for 2-3 practices. Now I notice no difference in shooting between both hands. If anything I prefer to shoot with my left hand now. There are some exceptions, there's a few players that are good at shooting left with their right hand. But I guarantee your not one of them, your profile will be smaller if you learn to properly shoot with your left hand.
mushumatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 11:39 PM #11
ewok11

ewok11 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
ewok11 is for the Gunfight
ewok11 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
repetition and commitment.
ewok11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 09:30 PM #12
GoldFeather

i have no problem shooting left handed...because i am left handed
but iv gotten petty good with switching hands and aiming right handed
you just have to do it a few times and become comfortable swiching often
GoldFeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 05:37 PM #13
MrYello

MrYello has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
MrYello has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
I just forced myself to play parts of the field where I would need to use my left hand. I found I got the hang of it pretty quickly when I made sure to play both sides of the field throughout different games.
MrYello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 10:01 PM #14
Daco
Yes i'm Dutch & not high

Daco owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
Daco has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Daco has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
what i do to improve shooting on my right side (i am a lefty). when i am home, i put assemble my marker, and while i am running in my apartment, randomly select targets for example, the tv just trigger walk it while aiming at it, then quickly the first thing that catches your attention to the right shoot it, then look to the left and swap sides and as quickly as possible shoot it. do that for 15 minutes everyday.

then just stand still and slowly swap your gun from left to right, trying to keep it up, then do it faster and after a while you have the muscle memory going for you, then you will notice that on the field without thinking you will just swap sides and start ripping on people! .
Daco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 08:41 PM #15
CAOL_98
Blessed by grace!

CAOL_98 supports Ninja Paintball
I know this thread is getting old, but if anyone is still reading it for advice then here's my take.
I used to have a hard time as well...a great drill is to force yourself down the right side d the field more often then not...sure you might be shooting tape side, but you'll also have to shoot cross field to the left, which will force you to work more on your left handed skills...also just practice at home switching hands from right to left after awhile it will stop feeling so forced...but that's my biggest piece of advice, to play your weak side more often.

"This sport transcends all expectations. I thank God for this gift and the friends I have made playing."
CAOL_98 is offline   Reply With Quote