Old 11-10-2011, 10:01 AM #22
Wastedslayer

has been a member for 10 years
 plays in the NXL
Wastedslayer plays in the APPA D4 division
Wastedslayer supports DLX Technology
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneofthemuppets View Post
Why spend that much money on high end equipment? There is no reason to get 167 dollar pants, you can but 60 dollar pants, there is no need to buy 84 dollar jerseys, you can buy 20 dollar longsleeve shirts, there is no reason to buy 155 dollar ninja tanks, you can buy the generic brand tanks for 100 dollars, there is no reason to buy axes for 500, you can buy cheaper starter guns, you arent running a pro team so there is no need for fancy equipment.
Kind of agree with this, I thought the startup money was for a field to practice on and possibly bring money to the school. Id be suprised if the board said yes when it sounds like your just trying to gear out a few players.
Wastedslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 11-10-2011, 10:40 AM #23
cplach
Sock it to 'em

cplach owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
A couple of other thoughts have come into my head since my last response.

1. Since the school would give you money to buy the equipment, doesn't that make it the school's equipment? My local/state gov't would have a field day if they found out the school was buying paintball equipment instead of computers or lunches for kids who are underprivileged.

2. If this is to compete in an NCPA event, there wouldn't be a need for 5 pod packs (as well as some of the other equipment) as the limit to paintballs is 600 to the 3 players who are playing.

3. As student athletes representing a school, I don't believe they can receive prizes that wouldn't go back directly to the school (at least that's how it is here).

4. Most of our team sports like baseball and lacrosse are required to buy their own specialty equipment (bats, lax sticks, cleats, and pads in some cases). My school board would want to see the students who play paintball for the school provide their own gear for this as other athletes are required to do so too.

It sucks that this sport costs a good chunk of change, but unfortunately unless you're *insert pro team name here*, you won't be getting things for free or via huge discounts.
cplach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 10:49 AM #24
ThisWontHurt
Official MidWest Streamer

ThisWontHurt supports Team VICIOUS
ThisWontHurt posts videos on PbNation
ThisWontHurt plays in the APPA beginner division
ThisWontHurt has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
ThisWontHurt has perfected Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wastedslayer View Post
I kind of agree with this, I thought the startup money was for a field to practice on and possibly bring money to the school. I'd be surprised if the board said yes when it sounds like your just trying to gear out a few players.
Field is already covered and they are willing to supply paint at close to whole sale so those costs are low. I could go with cheaper guns but these student sacrifice a lot already and most don't have their own gear. Because of NCPA jersey requirements they will probably pick up the tab on the jerseys which through DSS should be able to pick up free customization if they still have the jersey deal going on. The rest of the gear is personal preference after using those cheaper gear pieces. My tank choice is based off experience. Goal is to get about the distract to pay for 60% while the students fundraise the other 40% and all the money for practice/travel/tournaments. Once the team is started the students have plenty of opportunities to fund raise enough to pay their own way. Also tournament entry for any tourney we would host would go to funding the team.

Appreciate the constructive criticisms here. Keep them coming. More I have from you guys more I can prepare for what a school board can throw at me. Glad to see the trolls haven't found this part of PBNation.
ThisWontHurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 11:03 AM #25
ThisWontHurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by cplach View Post

1. Since the school would give you money to buy the equipment, doesn't that make it the school's equipment? My local/state gov't would have a field day if they found out the school was buying paintball equipment instead of computers or lunches for kids who are underprivileged.
Yes and thats the point. The only thing the student would own is his/her tournament jersey. Let the state come after us. Schools around here provide all the necessities for football, baseball, basketball, ect.
Quote:
2. If this is to compete in an NCPA event, there wouldn't be a need for 5 pod packs (as well as some of the other equipment) as the limit to paintballs is 600 to the 3 players who are playing.
Need to reread that. my understanding from last time I read it was 2 pods per person. If I am wrong I may revise my totals. NCPA runs their HS season during fall/winter which means our weather isn't complimentary to play in. This means I may have to organize a more spring/summer tournament league for the upper midwest.
Quote:
3. As student athletes representing a school, I don't believe they can receive prizes that wouldn't go back directly to the school (at least that's how it is here).
Not sure about that but again this would kind of like if the football team won state.
Quote:
4. Most of our team sports like baseball and lacrosse are required to buy their own specialty equipment (bats, lax sticks, cleats, and pads in some cases). My school board would want to see the students who play paintball for the school provide their own gear for this as other athletes are required to do so too.
Schools here provide all the gear. If you want to bring your own gear thats fine but they do have gear on hand to use.

Will edit later have an important call to make
Old 11-10-2011, 11:38 AM #26
mercedes0001

mercedes0001 supports Team VICIOUS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisWontHurt View Post
Thanks for the support guys. I have already reached out to Vicious who are about 2 hours away in hope I can get a few to come support us. As for the confusion on my position in my school I am a teacher not a student.

What will make these students better as people that the Tosh O type player? I'm setting some very high standards for our players academically. They players will have to maintain a 2.75 or 3.0 GPA (debating on which to use). Also through out the school year they will be required to dress in a shirt, tie and slacks for the gentleman or a blouse and skirt/slacks for the ladies. The goal isn't to put jocks on the field it's to show that our sport is more than a the bunch of unsafe hoodlems that Hollywood portrays us as.

I also am not planning on asking for the full amount. The students will be expected to fundraise to help buy the gear. This will fuel the feel of ownership the students have of the team. School pride here for the most part is lacking so when the put on that jersey to compete I want them to know they earned the right to be at there in the face of what ever the distract throws at them. With about 80% of our school on free/reduced lunch I want to keep it fair to the students that don't have the money for their own gear.

I will be and already have started making some contact with companies. Most want info I don't yet have due to the fact I have 40+ students interested but only have 5 spaces on the team.

Finally I have no problem with the break down of expense:
All prices will be per unit
5 Empire Axes at $500
5 Empire LTD TW Glass Red Jerseys $84
5 Empire LTD TW Glass Red Pants $167
5 Events $100
5 Ninja 68/4500 $155
5 Pod packs around $40

Price per person before taxes 1,106
Price for a team set of everything 5,530
I believe that Jake from DSS is working with you. The problem with paintball is not the initial investment for equipment. It is the paint that is consumed to play the sport.
Old 11-10-2011, 12:36 PM #27
sideball

sideball supports Sherwood Forest
sideball is an NCPA player
sideball supports Pev's Paintball
sideball plays in the APPA D5 division
I hate to say this, I go to a university where our total cost is 42,xxx+. We have a paintball club on campus and we barely get funded 5 grand. We all have to supply our own gear, even pay for our own jerseys (we do get to keep them though). We all have to pay out of pocket for each practice. Our funding goes towards travel to events, entry at events, and paint at events. I hate to be debbie downer, however 5500 is asking for a lot. People have mentioned multiple ways to shrink cost. Plus with NCPA new rules about jerseys and the way its looking. Everybody in NCPA will be wearing long sleeve shirts.
University of Hartford Hawks #25

Upgraded Dangerous Power FX
https://www.pbnation.com/showthread.p...0&highlight=fx

Gearbag Sale
https://www.pbnation.com/showthread.p...5#post75925945
sideball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 01:22 PM #28
haniousman12

If I were you, I would use your own markers and gear, and just take the school provided jerseys, and any money that the school is willing to give you. You will want to use your own guns and masks and stuff anyways.
No everyone wants to shoot Axes, so let them use their own. The players will treat the markers better if its their own personal gear anyways. Hockey players and lacrosse players supply their own sticks, why wouldnt you want to use your own guns?
Local businesses are always wanting to sponsor local high school teams. Get your own custom jerseys made with the local Ford Dealers logo on your shirt, and have the school pay part of it.
You say that you only have 5 spaces open, CREATE MORE SPACE. If you want to get money from the school, you will have to make it a club. If its a club, you need to have it open ALL the students who want to join. It almost sounds like you want to get the school to pay for you and 4 friends to play paintball. Open it up to the 40 plus students you have interested. A good 5 man team has at least 7 players plus pod hoes.
You will also need to have some academic adviser(Teacher, counciler, aide) to be on board with the group. They will help keep things legitimate, and provide the appropriate supervision.
Old 11-10-2011, 01:38 PM #29
spracks21
Zap Rowsdower

spracks21 plays in the PSP
spracks21 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
spracks21 supports Team VICIOUS
spracks21 supports Team VICIOUS
Good luck man, I hope it works out.

A few suggestions:

I would definitely encourage other students (besides the 5) to come out and get involved as well, even if they must buy and use their own slightly lower end markers. The more players out playing and in support of this the better.

If you are unable to get much or any actual funding from the school, at least work towards making it a school a club where you can hold regular meetings to talk paintball, and plans for the future. Hell, even if you can only manage a monthly paintball trip, that'd be a great start.

Try to think of ways that you can incorporate other parts of the school, to get as many people involved as possible. Try to get the video/graphics/computer design students to assist in making a highlight video or something. Get the industrial tech kids to build benches, tables, or start boxes. etc.

Also, pitch the need to keep kids, especially those who are not traditionally athletic, involved in extra curricular activities. An after school activity like paintball can be truly the best thing to keep kids out of trouble, give them a new community of friends and role models, and instill confidence and other valuable character qualities.

Lastly, make it fun above everything else. Don't try to get too serious too fast. If it is fun, people will want to play as much as possible, and will consequentially become more skilled.

If you have any questions or need anything, feel free to pm me. Good luck!
spracks21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 03:03 PM #30
ThisWontHurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedes0001 View Post
I believe that Jake from DSS is working with you. The problem with paintball is not the initial investment for equipment. It is the paint that is consumed to play the sport.
Correct about working with Jake. Numbers pulled were because I needed something to tell kids and administrators.

Agreed but our school has opportunities for the students to make the money and paint is costing us at the practice field around $35 a case for I believe it's Karnage Tear. So I'm hoping our fundraising can keep us in paint.
Old 11-10-2011, 10:12 PM #31
98Pro
Asylum 502

98Pro plays in the PSP
98Pro owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
98Pro owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
98Pro plays in the APPA D4 division
I'd recommend getting team pricing from a local store or Empire or something in order to lower the cost.
"Alright you guys are my ginger crew, you gotta act hard af" - Todd Martinez
Play SEPS!
98Pro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 07:47 AM #32
ThisWontHurt

Working with DSS at the moment. Those numbers were pulled to have something to show our administrators.
Old 11-14-2011, 08:09 PM #33
hardpainball
Easy & Painless

hardpainball is playing at Living Legends V
hardpainball owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
hardpainball is attending Decay of Nations VI
hardpainball supports DLX Technology
Quote:
Originally Posted by cplach View Post

It sucks that this sport costs a good chunk of change, but unfortunately unless you're *insert pro team name here*, you won't be getting things for free or via huge discounts.
This is correct. 2010 NCPA high school events allows T-shirts. And you don't need pods because of the 600 rounds limit (total for the 3 man team), which effectively mean a hopperful per player with no refills.
Old 11-14-2011, 10:53 PM #34
ThisWontHurt

bowing out of the NCPA due to lack of support in the mid west. starting a league for hs' around here that caters more to our weather.
Old 11-15-2011, 12:11 PM #35
Homelessballerz
Will work 4 paintballs

Homelessballerz supports Pev's Paintball
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisWontHurt View Post
Thanks for the support guys. I have already reached out to Vicious who are about 2 hours away in hope I can get a few to come support us. As for the confusion on my position in my school I am a teacher not a student.

What will make these students better as people that the Tosh O type player? I'm setting some very high standards for our players academically. They players will have to maintain a 2.75 or 3.0 GPA (debating on which to use). Also through out the school year they will be required to dress in a shirt, tie and slacks for the gentleman or a blouse and skirt/slacks for the ladies. The goal isn't to put jocks on the field it's to show that our sport is more than a the bunch of unsafe hoodlems that Hollywood portrays us as.

I also am not planning on asking for the full amount. The students will be expected to fundraise to help buy the gear. This will fuel the feel of ownership the students have of the team. School pride here for the most part is lacking so when the put on that jersey to compete I want them to know they earned the right to be at there in the face of what ever the distract throws at them. With about 80% of our school on free/reduced lunch I want to keep it fair to the students that don't have the money for their own gear.

I will be and already have started making some contact with companies. Most want info I don't yet have due to the fact I have 40+ students interested but only have 5 spaces on the team.

Finally I have no problem with the break down of expense:
All prices will be per unit
5 Empire Axes at $500
5 Empire LTD TW Glass Red Jerseys $84
5 Empire LTD TW Glass Red Pants $167
5 Events $100
5 Ninja 68/4500 $155
5 Pod packs around $40

Price per person before taxes 1,106
Price for a team set of everything 5,530
While your player standards are a nice touch I do think your budget is a little high and you could drop that substantially.

Prices taken from ansgear.

Guns- their are other guns out there that serve the same purpose, the fact of the matter is, if your in a poor community, you can't afford a $500 gun. A g4 or e1 can do the same thing for much much less. $300

Jersey- most early teams don't even start with a jersey. Honestly a custom longsleeve can be just as good for much less, and still look official. Local guy $30 pm me if you need a refferal

Pants- That's steep pair of pants, invert pants have served me great for three years. $60

Mask- this is the most important part of any team, so it's hard to try and change this, but i3 pros are $90

Tank- unless you find a deal $155

Pack- nxe 4pod $20

You're now down to $655 a person
$3275 a team
Homelessballerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 12:26 PM #36
simple_condolences

simple_condolences owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
simple_condolences supports Team VICIOUS
simple_condolences plays in the APPA D5 division
simple_condolences has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
I'd recommend grills over incisions. The grills will fit a wider range of players more comfortably. Incisions are smaller in frame and therefore those with a larger head/face will find them somewhat uncomfortable.
NXL Referee 2015 -2015
NCPA Nationals 2015-
simple_condolences is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 03:04 PM #37
ThisWontHurt

Certain companies that I will announce in the future have are serious looking at sponsoring us which will bring the price down. I know the Invert pants well and they are a good pair of pants. One of my deals with the Empire gear is the fact that I will have many students that have never shot a marker so this is an attempt to offer maximum protection.

All the gear on the list has to be order-able from the factory due to where I'm getting it from. I was told the i3's were discontinued which after looking it up I see I was mistaken. So thats a possible alternative. How hard is it to take the lenses out of those i3's. No one I know around here uses them. Most of us wear Events.

I am looking at a few other markers also but a lot is riding at the moment on if we can finalize this sponsorship deal.
Old 11-15-2011, 06:24 PM #38
Homelessballerz
Will work 4 paintballs

Homelessballerz supports Pev's Paintball
Quote:
Originally Posted by simple_condolences View Post
I'd recommend grills over incisions. The grills will fit a wider range of players more comfortably. Incisions are smaller in frame and therefore those with a larger head/face will find them somewhat uncomfortable.
Not to start a bicker but I like the i3's because I have a big face haha.

I wasn't aware of a sponsorship deal, as far as I know for institutional paintball, asking for that much money from a college is hard. Let alone a high school. Good luck to you though, we are all just trying to make sure you understand the amount of effort this will require.

Also I would suggest getting to know your sponsors very well, having a good relationship with people has done a wonder for our team so far.
Homelessballerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 09:15 PM #39
ThisWontHurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homelessballerz View Post
Not to start a bicker but I like the i3's because I have a big face haha.

I wasn't aware of a sponsorship deal, as far as I know for institutional paintball, asking for that much money from a college is hard. Let alone a high school. Good luck to you though, we are all just trying to make sure you understand the amount of effort this will require.

Also I would suggest getting to know your sponsors very well, having a good relationship with people has done a wonder for our team so far.
Lol. I've been around the game for around 10 years. I know what sort of sniper with a pistol in the dark shot this is but hey can't make the shot if I don't pull the trigger.

Hopefully I'll be able to announce the sponsor later this week. I'm iching to tell but don't want to botch the deal till it's finalized.
Old 11-19-2011, 08:39 AM #40
lgm527

actually my high school approved my paintball team all together, we play once every two weeks, and all fees are payed by players. however we are looking into getting sponsors. Even more is that i go to a catholic school and it got approved. Hit me up if your school has a paintball team and your school is within an hr of chicago
lgm527 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 10:18 AM #41
cplach
Sock it to 'em

cplach owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
What school do you go to? I've talked to Rob from Ninja Paintball and he has expressed some interest in getting a high school series going.
cplach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 01:16 PM #42
ThisWontHurt

Ok the guy that I know is really pushing in the IL area is SNEAKY JO. I you guys should get together with him and see what he has going on.