PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 07-22-2011, 12:25 AM #85
RightWingQueen

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldStrike View Post
With the overly elaborate way the author writes, a few hundred pages doesn't make a huge difference transitioning from book to TV.
I'm not so sure. A staple of Martin's writing style is to end each chapter with a very important detail or event. If you remove those from the context things may become convoluted. That being said, I don't think they will have trouble fitting aCoK into a single 10 episode season, and producers have already said they plan on splitting book three up at the
Spoiler: (Highlight this box to see the hidden message.)
Red Wedding
Advertisement
Old 07-22-2011, 05:07 AM #86
CAHunter3
Captain America

has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by RightWingQueen View Post
I'm not so sure. A staple of Martin's writing style is to end each chapter with a very important detail or event. If you remove those from the context things may become convoluted. That being said, I don't think they will have trouble fitting aCoK into a single 10 episode season, and producers have already said they plan on splitting book three up at the
Red Wedding
Just wanted to commend you on your excellent use of spoiler tags. I'm only half way through book 2 (Clash), so that could've been a nasty little spoiler, whatever it is.

Just wanted to say thanks for doin it right
Old 07-22-2011, 09:27 PM #87
digitard
GregRedHastings.com

digitard works for a Paintball manufacturer
digitard is playing at Living Legends VIII
digitard has achieved Level 5 in PbNation Pursuit
digitard is one of the top 500 posters on PbNation
digitard is Legendary
Purposely not reading the thread, yet.

I watched episode 1 when it aired, but didn't catch anything else since I don't have HBO.

Just got a chance to start watching it and holy crap. I've plowed through 2-8 today alone it's so good. Can't wait to finish it and read this whole thread, and discuss.

I've never read the books, and probably won't since I tend to shy away from this style of book (but love when they're done well on TV). Maybe at some point, but the show is so good I think I'll keep it a mystery for me.
Old 07-22-2011, 09:35 PM #88
BreeRockz! (Banned)

The Comic Con panel was posted on youtube here.
Old 07-23-2011, 03:24 AM #89
RightWingQueen

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreeRockz! View Post
The Comic Con panel was posted on youtube here.
(Season 1 spoilers in the panel)

Tl;DW: Nicolaj has a slight beard now. Kit is a new psuedo-Robert Pattinson. Lena is still cool. Dinklage doesn't want to be there. Mamoa is the most entertaining thing on stage. Emilia looks better with brown hair. Weiss and Benioff weren't asked near enough questions about season 2. 90 percent of the fan questions were awkward (as you expect in these panels). And lastly, George is badass MC.
Old 07-23-2011, 01:49 PM #90
CAHunter3
Captain America

Yeah I read through the live interview yesterday.

If you guys don't want to watch all 50 minutes of it, ScreenRant scribed the jist of it here: http://screenrant.com/comic-con-2011...-mcrid-124532/

Last edited by CAHunter3 : 07-23-2011 at 01:54 PM.
Old 07-23-2011, 01:56 PM #91
Citizen X
Very Varenyam

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAHunter3 View Post
Just wanted to commend you on your excellent use of spoiler tags. I'm only half way through book 2 (Clash), so that could've been a nasty little spoiler, whatever it is.

Just wanted to say thanks for doin it right
I inadvertently spoiled book three by googling something not even remotely related to the series and then making a couple careless clicks. I don't plan on reading any more of the books (Martin's style is boring as all hell) but I will watch the rest of the series.

Sucks.
Old 07-23-2011, 02:11 PM #92
CAHunter3
Captain America

I feel like I'm the only one here who thoroughly enjoys the books? I guess I've read LOTR a while back, so I suppose I'm used to reading dry stuff. So the Ice and Fire books don't actually even seem dry to me. I feel like they're incredibly well-written. Makes me wonder what books some of you guys have been reading.
Old 07-23-2011, 02:17 PM #93
Vegard
LOST

Vegard is a Supporting Member
Vegard is a founding member
Vegard is Boss
I gave up during episode 5 and fast forwarded through it, the show failed to keep me interested.

For those wanting a recap of episode one:
What is going on, what is going on, who are those guys, wtf is going on, small boy flies out window.

For reference I have not read the books the show is based on, but I do enjoy other works within the same genre.
-growing older is mandatory – growing up is optional-

SBDB009 Reddit Jealous Lion
Old 07-23-2011, 02:18 PM #94
Citizen X
Very Varenyam

I've read a lot of books. A lot of fantasy too. Game of Thrones was probably the most I've ever had to focus to finish a book.
Old 07-23-2011, 03:28 PM #95
RightWingQueen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citizen X View Post
I've read a lot of books. A lot of fantasy too. Game of Thrones was probably the most I've ever had to focus to finish a book.
That makes sense. Game of Thrones is an unorthodox fantasy series in that its main focus is the characters, there's no protagonist (especially one with a healthy dosage of Robinson Crusoe syndrome that you see so often in fantasy), and the magical and supernatural elements are on the periphery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegard View Post
I gave up during episode 5 and fast forwarded through it, the show failed to keep me interested.

For those wanting a recap of episode one:
What is going on, what is going on, who are those guys, wtf is going on, small boy flies out window.

For reference I have not read the books the show is based on, but I do enjoy other works within the same genre.
Are you not liking it because you fail to understand it, or is there other reasons?
Old 07-23-2011, 04:09 PM #96
CAHunter3
Captain America

Also Citizen, that sucks about the spoilers, especially because you weren't searching around for anything related. That's why I take the time to thank people who use the tags properly, even if I already know what's written there. They have the tags for a reason, ya know?
Old 07-23-2011, 04:34 PM #97
Citizen X
Very Varenyam

Quote:
Originally Posted by RightWingQueen View Post
That makes sense. Game of Thrones is an unorthodox fantasy series in that its main focus is the characters, there's no protagonist (especially one with a healthy dosage of Robinson Crusoe syndrome that you see so often in fantasy), and the magical and supernatural elements are on the periphery.
The only character I even remotely liked in the book was Tyrion. I spent the first third of GoT groaning at each chapter when I saw who I had to deal with. It may be that during the course of the book, his character introspective gets pretty redundant and predictable. It got to the point where I would read the name at the start of a chapter and say to myself, "Oh, here's character whatsherface and she's probably going to whine about suchandsuch."

And I was usually right.

I find the characters are better portrayed in the show. I don't spend pages and pages living in their minds so there's less chance of me tiring of them as quickly as I did in the book. There's more room for empathy, and I may actually care when a character dies. Plus I get all the plot with 90% of the useless fat trimmed away.

Quote:
Also Citizen, that sucks about the spoilers, especially because you weren't searching around for anything related. That's why I take the time to thank people who use the tags properly, even if I already know what's written there. They have the tags for a reason, ya know?
If only people in every normal day life had those filters coded into their heads.
Old 07-24-2011, 04:46 PM #98
General_Patton (Banned)

Just started watching the first episode because of this thread...Pretty impressed so far, looks like I'll have the first season to keep me occupied for a few days.
Old 07-24-2011, 04:51 PM #99
SKI008

plays in the NXL
Quote:
I feel like I'm the only one here who thoroughly enjoys the books? I guess I've read LOTR a while back, so I suppose I'm used to reading dry stuff. So the Ice and Fire books don't actually even seem dry to me. I feel like they're incredibly well-written. Makes me wonder what books some of you guys have been reading.
I agree. I've been reading the books and not watching the series. Just finished Clash of Kings yesterday and starting on...whatever the third one is called. I do find them a little long but vivid descriptions are not painful to read for me.

Of course this thread is also full of people who watch the show and may not find reading as enjoyable as watching, hence the bias towards "these books are too ****ing long". Just take comfort in the fact that you have a longer attention span than they do.

I will say the Wolf Dreams described in Clash of Kings did start to get annoying after the 3rd or 4th. Martin could have probably said "oh by the way your dreams are real" around there instead of waiting till the 3/4th mark to do that.
Old 07-24-2011, 05:48 PM #100
digitard
GregRedHastings.com

digitard is Legendary
Alrighty. Finished the season, and I'm thoroughly hooked. Can't wait for S2.

Going to skip the books, though, as I have enough on my plate for books that I haven't caught up on yet. Plus I've found I'm more of a fan of the visual telling of this type of genre over the written. I may go back at some point and read the book after I see each season, but no plans on it.

Can't wait to see where it goes.
Old 07-24-2011, 05:54 PM #101
General_Patton (Banned)

Already pretty surprised at the ending of episode 1 and hooked after what he did to the son. I wish I could sit here all day and watch it, like I did with Dexter.
Old 07-24-2011, 05:56 PM #102
digitard
GregRedHastings.com

digitard is Legendary
Quote:
Originally Posted by General_Patton View Post
Already pretty surprised at the ending of episode 1 and hooked after what he did to the son. I wish I could sit here all day and watch it, like I did with Dexter.
That's what I did on Friday. I started with Episode 2 and got to the beginning of episode 8. Then finished 8-9-10 today, and now I'm stuck heading to work.

I probably should've slept instead...lol.
Old 07-24-2011, 07:08 PM #103
RightWingQueen

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKI008 View Post
I agree. I've been reading the books and not watching the series. Just finished Clash of Kings yesterday and starting on...whatever the third one is called. I do find them a little long but vivid descriptions are not painful to read for me.

Of course this thread is also full of people who watch the show and may not find reading as enjoyable as watching, hence the bias towards "these books are too ****ing long". Just take comfort in the fact that you have a longer attention span than they do.

I will say the Wolf Dreams described in Clash of Kings did start to get annoying after the 3rd or 4th. Martin could have probably said "oh by the way your dreams are real" around there instead of waiting till the 3/4th mark to do that.
Holy mother of ****. Those were painfully redundant. Once you realize, on your own, that they're real (which is really early on) they become so painful
Old 07-24-2011, 07:38 PM #104
DayoftheGreek
I hate you

Maybe I'm totally off beat here, but I don't find the books overly elaborate/descriptive at all. As far as fantasy goes, these books were a pretty clean and simple read for me. I made my way through the first two in a few weeks without really hitting any slow parts. I don't think I had to focus very much at all.

I don't usually go overboard like this, but I would say these books are the Lord of the Rings of our time. Personally, I found LOTR incredibly dry and much harder to read than what we have so far of A Song of Ice and Fire.

1/30/08: I was there when the plane flew but everyone was still stupid.
Old 07-24-2011, 08:54 PM #105
digitard
GregRedHastings.com

digitard is Legendary
Question for someone who has read the books. I'm going to be vague in my below because I haven't, and I can't remember names. I'm pretty sure I could read them to find out, lol, but I'm just curious if my mind is on the right track.

This question is based on the fact that I've only seen the show, and never read the books or even heard of them other than in passing prior to watching it. So I'm about as new as they come to this universe.

So we know the Dragon chick can't get hurt by Fire, or at least to a degree from the first season. The whore that the dwarf is with. Is she a child of the dragon chicks father, or something to that nature? Sort of like how Snow is the bastard son of Ned, etc. Well at least you assume that. He could be taken in by Ned, etc, for all I know.
The reason I ask is in EP 1 they hint at the dragon chick w/ the bath water. In the final episodes they are playing that candle game, the whore and the dwarf, and she half *** answers about how she beat him. Then when they're playing the drinking game all his thoughts about her family are wrong. Making me think the secret she's hiding something we'll find out later, and probably more part of the story.

Don't need to know anything really outside a "yes or no" type answer because it'll all come in time, but that has been nagging me since the moment I saw it. I, also, may be reading WAY too much into things...lol.

Last edited by digitard : 07-24-2011 at 10:36 PM.