PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 03-25-2014, 04:55 PM #43
Robotech

has been a member for 10 years
Robotech is attending Decay of Nations VII
Local fields here have gone with the Splatmaster .50 cal system for younger walk on players and have seen a dramatic increase in attendance and repeat business. Many .50 cal players move on to .68 cal. It is probably a niche market for now but where it goes in the future could be anyones guess.

Simple fact. If someone figures out a way to make a .50 cal marker dominate a .68 cal marker, and that person puts that gun in the hands of a professional player who then goes out and proves how good it is against .68 cal guns there wouldn't be a single person on this board who wouldn't be wanting to try it out for themselves. All of you who are putting .50 cal down are doing so based on what has been. I caution you to keep an open mind and not become jaded by what has been in the past. You never know what you may miss if you don't.
Robotech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 03-26-2014, 10:22 PM #44
ProMod
Gun Tech

ProMod owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
ProMod is an NCPA player
ProMod supports DLX Technology
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotech View Post
Local fields here have gone with the Splatmaster .50 cal system for younger walk on players and have seen a dramatic increase in attendance and repeat business. Many .50 cal players move on to .68 cal. It is probably a niche market for now but where it goes in the future could be anyones guess.

Simple fact. If someone figures out a way to make a .50 cal marker dominate a .68 cal marker, and that person puts that gun in the hands of a professional player who then goes out and proves how good it is against .68 cal guns there wouldn't be a single person on this board who wouldn't be wanting to try it out for themselves. All of you who are putting .50 cal down are doing so based on what has been. I caution you to keep an open mind and not become jaded by what has been in the past. You never know what you may miss if you don't.
300 chrono for .50 cal markers, 280 chrono for .68 cal. That helps even the playing field. Now tell the pros that they can hold twice as much paint, or run a lightweight setup and keep the same shot count. Oh, and their hoppers hold a hell of a lot more rounds off the break.

I've run a GI 50 with a pinokio in years prior with extremely good results. Holds a stream of paint nicely, although I have had trouble with the detents. I'd like to get my hands on an older ego and test out PE's 50 cal kit (apparently it doesn't work with the LV1s)
Originally posted by msonic- Think of Simon as Paintball's Tony Stark. For real.
"...Looks Like A...." earns you an instant NEWBIE tag. Don't be a newbie.
ProMod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 12:03 PM #45
PaintballofOKC

300 vs 280 fps try 300 vs 230 to help even it out distance wise.

Also playing on a field where the bunkers are what 130 ft apart?

The distance between the two diminish greatly in confined spaces, go play woodsball or D-day or any field where long balling is helpful 50 cal falls on its face. Most rental people its great but as a full replacement, FPS should increase to 350 fps and at close range that will hurt and we are back to square one.
PaintballofOKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 12:44 PM #46
Horizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaintballofOKC View Post
300 vs 280 fps try 300 vs 230 to help even it out distance wise.

Also playing on a field where the bunkers are what 130 ft apart?

The distance between the two diminish greatly in confined spaces, go play woodsball or D-day or any field where long balling is helpful 50 cal falls on its face. Most rental people its great but as a full replacement, FPS should increase to 350 fps and at close range that will hurt and we are back to square one.
Yes, so let's not go there.
Horizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 01:55 PM #47
Onuris
Oldskool Baller

Onuris owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Yeah, .50 has inferior ballistics compared to .68. But it is not as extreme as many try to make it seem. And it has its place. My youngest daughter who is almost 12 and small for her age loves her .50 cal kit. Little GI Nano that she inherited from my 14 yo, who stepped up to .68, shooting a Mini. She can carry more paint w/o weighing her down. Everything is "me sized" to her. She has no problems quickly eliminating other players from the field.

Last edited by Onuris : 03-27-2014 at 01:58 PM.
Onuris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 02:40 PM #48
PaintballofOKC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onuris View Post
Yeah, .50 has inferior ballistics compared to .68. But it is not as extreme as many try to make it seem. And it has its place. My youngest daughter who is almost 12 and small for her age loves her .50 cal kit. Little GI Nano that she inherited from my 14 yo, who stepped up to .68, shooting a Mini. She can carry more paint w/o weighing her down. Everything is "me sized" to her. She has no problems quickly eliminating other players from the field.
I agree 100% 50 cal has its place
Old 03-27-2014, 11:56 PM #49
vijil

Quote:
FPS should increase to 350 fps and at close range that will hurt
Nope. 68 at 300 will hurt more than 50 at 350, even point blank.

Mostly though it's a great rental solution, and that's where it will most likely stay. Nothing wrong with that!
vijil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 08:37 AM #50
PaintballofOKC

I didn't say it would hurt more I said it would HURT and it would.

50cal has a smaller foot print and even if the energy is less, that energy is concentrated into a smaller area on your skin.

Fragile paint hurts less due to the energy being dispersed vs a bounce.

More than one variable needs to be considered on the pain factor than just joules of energy.
Old 03-28-2014, 10:13 AM #51
Slayer8
Blop Blop Blop

Slayer8 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
New to the 50 cal. discussion, so I dont know if this has been said: I think fifty cals place should be Milsim and younger players, keep the fps low for the kids and when there is a milsim game, the take it to 350. Magfed markers would benefit greatly from a smaller paintball. More paint in a mag, more mags.
Slayer8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 01:57 PM #52
Kade1012

Kade1012 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
I think .50 cal has its place for the front players. Smaller paint=more paint in the hopper/pods which lets you carry less pods so you'll have a smaller profile and lighter.

My set-up
Empire sniper
Ninja pro 45/45
Sportshot
Dye I4
WTB: locklid Winchester
Kade1012 is offline   Reply With Quote