Find fields and stores
Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 11-30-2008, 06:11 PM #1
facepalm

My Save Phace experience - Dope Series review.

Product: Save Phace Dope Series Thermal Paintball Mask
Length of use: Less than 6 months
Overall Rating: 2.5/5
Appearance: 3.5/5
Performance: 2/5
Reliability: 2.5/5
Value: 1/5

Looks - Appearance
Both stock and custom graphics available for Save Phace's masks are absolutely amazing. Sitting on the shelf; the Dope Series looks great. On-player, the mask is very hit-or miss. In my case (being a larger player), it is not appealing cosmetically; on a smaller player, these masks look great.

Weight - Appearance & Performance
This mask is very lightweight; to be expected from any newer mask on the market. With that being said, facial coverage should not be sacrificed in exchange for weight reduction. There is a thin line between "low profile" and "slightly dangerous" and I feel that this masks walks that line.

Feel - Performance
The Dope seems to leave much to be desired in the area of feel. The mask is very small on anybody short of somebody with swimmers' build; not only does this expose vulnerable areas, but pressure on the ears and around the nose are somewhat uncomfortable (and very tight). I do realize there is a correct and incorrect way to wear this mask, and nothing seemed to make a large enough difference where I feel the Dope is wearable over other masks on the market. The hard plastic is very rigid, and as I believe another member has commented, makes the Dope feel "cheap".

A note regarding bounce - I do not feel that I have any more or any less bounces with this mask than any other. With that said, this is a point I do not particularly monitor (as most shots to the head are lens shots and break regardless).

Venting - Performance
I commonly experienced light fogging while using my Save Phace mask. The venting is sufficient for fair-weather play, but not for unideal elements or playing conditions.

Field Of Vision - Performance
The Dope has a large field of vision and what seems to be a high-quality lens. This being said; field of vision is a moot point when fogging plays into the equation.

Safety - Reliability
For a larger individual such as myself, I do not feel safe while wearing a Save Phace mask. The lens though, seem to be of good quality, and the hard plastic is a redeeming feature for those that do not think highly of other competitors soft-bottom masks. Although I prefer flexibility in a mask, I understand the niche that this mask fills.

I have noticed visible impact damage to my Dope but I feel that this is due to the type of plastic used to construct the Save Phace masks. This "damage" looks to be purely cosmetic and follows the trend set by competitors "hard" plastic masks produced in previous years. With this being said; I am weary of this point and will be motoring the mask closely for any developments in this area.

Maintenance - Reliability
Save Phace masks appears to be fairly straightforward and easy to maintain. I would advise against an individual spending tons of money on custom airbrushing, as the graphics are known to chip over time and with progressing use.

Bang4Buck - Value
This is where I feel the Save Phace falls off of the spectrum. It is my opinion that there are multiple other masks on the market that surpass the Dope in all areas for the same price range +/- $5.00.

Conclusion - Overall
Although I see Save Phace as a company with great potential, I will not be purchasing another mask from this company. Perhaps a few more months developing and testing, and Save Phace would have had a winner, but as it stands now, all hope lies in their second generation of masks (well, at least any chance for redemption in my eyes). As it stands, my Dope will sit in my gear bag as as an alternate-backup and a loaner for my friends.

As a side note, the sponsored players in this section have been very unprofessional and unwilling to accept that an initial-run product will need some improvements, regardless of manufacturer or company history. This is very discouraging and reflects negatively upon Save Phace in my (and others') eyes. Maturity, respect, and good ol' common sense make a world of difference...

Thanks for your time,

Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 11-30-2008, 06:35 PM #2
NoelyDeezNutz
Rebel against

has been a member for 10 years
NoelyDeezNutz plays in the PSP
NoelyDeezNutz owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
NoelyDeezNutz owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
NoelyDeezNutz is a top reviewer
great review... Its nice to finally see another decently written review.
SameBIG CHIEF - I've met plenty of tools who own a Luxe. Looks like they failed on the tool less aspect.
Old 11-30-2008, 08:20 PM #3
crazyboarder9999
~The Insurance Guy John~

crazyboarder9999 plays in the PSP
 plays in the NXL
 plays in the NXL 2
crazyboarder9999 plays in the APPA D5 division
as if mine and bryans were noely

anyways good review looks liek you put the research into it in the playing field
Stay low, shoot your lanes and have fun!
Ask me about insurance for your paintball field, league, shop, or products
Old 12-01-2008, 02:36 AM #4
ArchAngelIon
I run a field now

ArchAngelIon plays in the PSP
ArchAngelIon helped look for balloons
ArchAngelIon posts videos on PbNation
ArchAngelIon is one of the top 1000 posters on PbNation
Is the facepalm a signature, or a representation of your experience with this product
Old 12-01-2008, 08:19 AM #5
cryptic.paintball
blah blah blah

plays in the NXL 2
cryptic.paintball is one of the top 500 posters on PbNation
cryptic.paintball is Legendary
cryptic.paintball is Boss
Good review.

But you are lumping all sponsored players into a unfair lumped group. I have defended the product as a first run product that is going to have issues, just like other manufacturers have with first run products or design changes/new products.