Community Focus

Old 11-20-2013, 11:03 AM #1
Gville827

Gville827 plays in the PSP
Gville827 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Gville827 supports Team VICIOUS
Gville827 plays in the APPA D4 division
2014 Discussion/Suggestion thread

What would everyone like to see differently for the 2014 season?

Personally, I'd like to see 1 D3 player allowed per D4/5 team and 1 D1 player per D2/3 team.
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 11-20-2013, 12:12 PM #2
e250van

has been a member for 10 years
2014 season

I would like the d2 d3 to run in 2014
e250van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 11:32 AM #3
dps093
I like Flexes

dps093 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
dps093 plays in the APPA D4 division
dps093 is one of the top 1000 posters on PbNation
dps093 is Boss
dps093 supports Ninja Paintball
dps093 supports Empire
Quote:
Originally Posted by e250van View Post
This.
dps093 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 10:18 AM #4
xjmeckx

Keep offering pump division please.
xjmeckx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 02:44 PM #5
xmc1146

xmc1146 is for the Gunfight
xmc1146 supports Ninja Paintball
xmc1146 owns a Planet Eclipse GSL
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dps093 View Post
This.
the league would run if people would sign up.
xmc1146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 07:08 PM #6
Eaglesnation36

Eaglesnation36 supports Team VICIOUS
Eaglesnation36 posts videos on PbNation
Eaglesnation36 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Eaglesnation36 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
I would like to see the d4/5 just be turned into a d4 race to 4 honestly
Old 12-06-2013, 04:30 PM #7
Gville827

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesnation36 View Post
I would like to see the d4/5 just be turned into a d4 race to 4 honestly
This would be awesome, especially with those who do/want to play PSP Raceto4. It gives them that little extra, ya know.

But the things would have to be changed around a bit, in my opinion. As it is now, it can be financially tough for a lot of the guys who work after-[high]school jobs, or full time college guys with limited budgets. With Race4 you'll obviously be shooting more paint, so maybe lower paint costs? During the summer a lot of guys get hurt or suffer from heat exhaustion, so maybe increase roster size to 9? Maybe raise registration fee by $100 to slightly compensate for the lower paint costs? With 5man only playing on Sunday, it wouldn't make too much sense to lower the amount of teams you play (instead of playing 4 teams 2-3 points, play 2 teams for 4 points) unless you make 5man both Saturday and Sunday, but then you might run into a lot of personal scheduling conflicts, which could be counter balanced with a higher roster limit.

Personally I think a Race to 4 would be extremely fun if done right, but not at the current format/price. I think it would also attract a lot more teams.

Hell maybe even an Open 10-man, with exceptions of no Pro or D1 ranked players? Now THAT would be awesome.
Old 12-10-2013, 08:00 PM #8
Stangguy327
Bring the Pain

plays in the NXL
Stangguy327 owns a Planet Eclipse CS1
Stangguy327 plays in the APPA D4 division
Quote:
would be nice.

What changed from 2 seasons ago? It at least had enough teams to run back then.
Stangguy327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 09:35 AM #9
L-Wing

L-Wing owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
L-Wing has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
L-Wing has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gville827 View Post
This would be awesome, especially with those who do/want to play PSP Raceto4. It gives them that little extra, ya know.

But the things would have to be changed around a bit, in my opinion. As it is now, it can be financially tough for a lot of the guys who work after-[high]school jobs, or full time college guys with limited budgets. With Race4 you'll obviously be shooting more paint, so maybe lower paint costs? During the summer a lot of guys get hurt or suffer from heat exhaustion, so maybe increase roster size to 9? Maybe raise registration fee by $100 to slightly compensate for the lower paint costs? With 5man only playing on Sunday, it wouldn't make too much sense to lower the amount of teams you play (instead of playing 4 teams 2-3 points, play 2 teams for 4 points) unless you make 5man both Saturday and Sunday, but then you might run into a lot of personal scheduling conflicts, which could be counter balanced with a higher roster limit.

Personally I think a Race to 4 would be extremely fun if done right, but not at the current format/price. I think it would also attract a lot more teams.

Hell maybe even an Open 10-man, with exceptions of no Pro or D1 ranked players? Now THAT would be awesome.
Yes to pretty much all of this
L-Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 09:25 PM #10
dps093
I like Flexes

dps093 is Boss
dps093 supports Empire
First off, I want to start off with things I like about the MAPL:
1. Prizes. No other tournament series around offers high-end prizes like the MAPL.
2. Entry Cost. Affordable for all, and the option to prepay the entry fee at beginning of season is great too.
3. All the events are in the same place. Makes it easier for teams rather than traveling to different fields, which adds to more costs.
4. Gridded fields with quality Bunkers.
5. Race to 2 Format. Not necessarily the most exciting format, but it works well; I like how prelims run, and playoffs, very smoothly.
6. Scoring & Status posting. The Laptop with the external monitor for scoring helps teams know throughout the day how they're doing.
Now here are a few things which I think would be cool to add.
1. Possibly an option for cashing in prizes/Non-Paintball Related Prizes. Most of the tourney players already have their own high-end gear. So they're just going to sell whatever gear they get at at a fraction of the map cost of the gear. This will hurt stores/field owner. Or, maybe, instead of giving away gear prizes, give away prizes not related to paintball, like xbox's, ipads, etc. Something that the players are more likely to use, and won't hurt field owner/stores.
2. Year end prizes. It would be nice to see prizes for being one of the top ranked teams for the season. Motivates teams even more for something else to fight for, and attracts more teams to play all the events.
3. Combine D3 and D4, possibly making D5 it's own division.
4. A race to 4 format. Yes, it will definitely be far more costly than race to 2, but race to 4 (or xball/back-to-back points, whatever you want to call it), is more athletic and fun to watch, and is the prevalent format in the PSP. This would also attract more PSP teams obviously with a format that follows the PSP layout. (Yes Coaching too)
5. Do what you did the last event of the season, with teams having little-to-no notice of what the layout will be. Obviously this will depend on the MAPL's Event Dates verse the PSP's Event Dates.

And that's all I can think of at the present moment
Old 12-13-2013, 01:07 AM #11
bigntastyeclipse08
Kingkongpb.com

Lets be honest.
-D3 wont happen because everyone waits till the last minute.
-Race to 4 can in no way be d4.
---- Make it d3 like psp with 2 d2 players or something.
--------Still wont have enough teams

-Maybe try a race to 2 but first one to score 2 points.
----Not the normal format. Like race to 4 but 2 (catch my drift?)

-But this takes away from the normal divisions and such but both ideas could possibly draw more teams and the psp x ball style race to 2 is a great starter for future race to 4 teams. Having the race to 4 may draw more psp divisional teams on the east coast ( offer cash or psp entry or something for a prize)

- But lets be honest here. Nothing will change because we dont try to. They offer d3. No one signs up. They offer 7 man. No one signs up.

Go players! Go mapl! Go ref in red dye pants who makes bad calls. GO BRANDON LETTICH!

WOW- COOL GEAR
bigntastyeclipse08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 01:24 PM #12
Gville827

Quote:
1. Possibly an option for cashing in prizes/Non-Paintball Related Prizes. Most of the tourney players already have their own high-end gear. So they're just going to sell whatever gear they get at at a fraction of the map cost of the gear. This will hurt stores/field owner. Or, maybe, instead of giving away gear prizes, give away prizes not related to paintball, like xbox's, ipads, etc. Something that the players are more likely to use, and won't hurt field owner/stores.
2. Year end prizes. It would be nice to see prizes for being one of the top ranked teams for the season. Motivates teams even more for something else to fight for, and attracts more teams to play all the events.
3. Combine D3 and D4, possibly making D5 it's own division.
4. A race to 4 format. Yes, it will definitely be far more costly than race to 2, but race to 4 (or xball/back-to-back points, whatever you want to call it), is more athletic and fun to watch, and is the prevalent format in the PSP. This would also attract more PSP teams obviously with a format that follows the PSP layout. (Yes Coaching too)
5. Do what you did the last event of the season, with teams having little-to-no notice of what the layout will be. Obviously this will depend on the MAPL's Event Dates verse the PSP's Event Dates.

And that's all I can think of at the present moment
I'm in favor of all of Kelso's proposed changes, however #3 is what I'd love to see the most.
Old 12-17-2013, 03:32 PM #13
crazeebballer

plays in the NXL
crazeebballer owns a Planet Eclipse CS2
crazeebballer plays in the APPA D3 division
Combining d3 and d4 will allow for a larger turn out in my opinion. There are a few teams who would play because they consist of mostly if not all d3 ( the few that sign up in hopes of the d2/d3 division running) as well as a lot of the teams from the past year have d4 guys / guys that have had to move up to d3....
Offering this division ( which should have the most draw by teams) as a race to 4 psp format would also allow to draw even more teams from the surrounding areas since there is not a league that offers a real alternative / prep for psp... This will also allow those teams who play psp to have a larger benefit to play and join the MAPL because it would be an amazing practice for them.

Keep d5 for up incoming teams and those wishing to start their tournament experience. Also keep it as race to 2. It's a good format for new people getting used to tournaments and does not require as many players per roster ( you only need 5 because of the long breaks between games and no one pod runnng)
crazeebballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 11:31 PM #14
bigntastyeclipse08
Kingkongpb.com

d4 teams will not want to play d3 teams. Its that simple. Otherwise the d3 division would run. The prizes are worth it, yet it never runs.

WOW- COOL GEAR
Old 12-19-2013, 11:17 AM #15
dps093
I like Flexes

dps093 is Boss
dps093 supports Empire
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigntastyeclipse08 View Post
d4 teams will not want to play d3 teams. Its that simple. Otherwise the d3 division would run. The prizes are worth it, yet it never runs.
Well if you combine the D3 and D4 Divison, than the D4 teams have no choice but to play D3 teams lol. Personally I don't care who I play.
Old 12-20-2013, 01:21 AM #16
bigntastyeclipse08
Kingkongpb.com

Quote:
Well if you combine the D3 and D4 Divison, than the D4 teams have no choice but to play D3 teams lol. Personally I don't care who I play.
This also results in teams going to others leagues such as epl which combines 3 areas for an East Coast Cup. 15 D4 race to 2 teams signed up for their biggest event. Mapl had a low of 18 teams and a high of 24 or 26 area. I feel rick is doing something right it seems.Not attacking epl, just an example. Why add things that wont happen/ can lose him money. But what do I know.

If it aint broke, dont fix it!

WOW- COOL GEAR

Last edited by bigntastyeclipse08 : 12-20-2013 at 01:27 AM.
Old 12-20-2013, 12:50 PM #17
dps093
I like Flexes

dps093 is Boss
dps093 supports Empire
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigntastyeclipse08 View Post
This also results in teams going to others leagues such as epl which combines 3 areas for an East Coast Cup. 15 D4 race to 2 teams signed up for their biggest event. Mapl had a low of 18 teams and a high of 24 or 26 area. I feel rick is doing something right it seems.Not attacking epl, just an example. Why add things that wont happen/ can lose him money. But what do I know.

If it aint broke, dont fix it!
I see what you mean, I think it could go either way though. Could be a big boost, or could cause teams to leave, like you said.
Old 12-28-2013, 09:20 AM #18
xmc1146

xmc1146 is for the Gunfight
xmc1146 supports Ninja Paintball
xmc1146 owns a Planet Eclipse GSL
it will be nice to have a new division but really the reason why there's no one signing up to d2/d3 is because there aren't enough teams to sign up. most that teams had signed up in that division was 5. im sure there will more this year since a lot more teams are moving up to play in a higher division. but suggest that there should only be a dedicated D3 division and not combined with D2.
xmc1146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 11:29 PM #19
MOSSYGHILLIEDSNIPER
Pbrefconnect

MOSSYGHILLIEDSNIPER owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
MOSSYGHILLIEDSNIPER has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
MOSSYGHILLIEDSNIPER has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
bring back the old reffs! the biggest thing people dont realize is that if all the d4/d5 guys just signed up for d2/d3 they could "potentially" win the better prizes. but what do i know.
UPSTATE HATE
CONTRACT REF FOR HIRE
'16 Reffing: NXL PRO, CFOA , NCPA, internationally and more.
*need a PRO referee for your local tournament? PM me.
MOSSYGHILLIEDSNIPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 04:11 AM #20
bigntastyeclipse08
Kingkongpb.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOSSYGHILLIEDSNIPER View Post
bring back the old reffs! the biggest thing people dont realize is that if all the d4/d5 guys just signed up for d2/d3 they could "potentially" win the better prizes. but what do i know.
Biggest problem.. No team moves up from d4 because honestly they are not as good as teams like ether(always play the events), or one of the revo teams/ syndicate/ obnoxious/ whoever. When you offer 5 luxes, good d2/3 players are going to play. Its honestly too big of a jump unless it is strictly d3.

its that simple. No one wants to pay to not do well.. Yea, its all about getting better and playing better people. No, everyone wants to win and make money. Otherwise everyone who loves the game, go play d2/3 so the division runs.

Or just man/ female up and make a d3 race to 4 two day event with higher entry, and better prizes before epl does.

WOW- COOL GEAR

Last edited by bigntastyeclipse08 : 01-09-2014 at 04:13 AM.
Old 01-09-2014, 03:56 PM #21
Shootaho

Shootaho plays in the PSP
 plays in the NXL
Shootaho plays in the APPA D3 division
My team got bumped to D3. We dont care about the prizes. We just want a league/division we can all play in regionally. Preferably 5man race to. Doesnt matter if its d4/d3, d3, d3/d2 or open we will play. Ready to pay and play. Lets make something happen!
Shootaho is offline   Reply With Quote