Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 08-14-2013, 02:04 PM #1
Avint

GOG G1 or X7 or A5

After reading some messages in the "Tippmann Sucks" thread I wanted to start a new one in this forum and get some advise on my Scenario marker I want to work towards for next season. Currently I am using a Tippmann Crossover, I love this gun for its Mech and Electronic modes, I find switching being easy and really nice to increase that fire rate when needed. Now the thing you may ask is, why get another maker as the Crossover was designed for this, it comes down to look and feel. I wanted to try marker with a stock and also get a remote line to help with low shots when I am on my stomach. So because I have a current marker some equipment would be crossed over:
Ninja 68ci 4500psi - Grey Ghost Tank
260 Virtue Spire
Pods
And then playing apparel for speedball.

Now I will run a remote line and get a vest, I may not start this right away, but it is something I will work towards. For the marker I am looking for something I can maybe get a few modifications for, IE Handles, Scopes etc.. I did look into mag fed, but the overall cost to get into with magazines and gear is not something I can do right now. Maybe in a few years. Here is what I know of the three guns to date:

Gog G1: Great marker to use for its price (black board edition), not as much customization for looks as other markers but gets the job done, and all Battery operated. Adjustable feed neck direction and standard hopper feeding.

X7: Most customized options for a marker, can look like a AK47 to Assuallt Rifle. Uses Cyclone feeder, so 260 not needed. Mods are needed for Stock and to get a rifle feeling out of the box.

A5: Not as much customization as X7 but still solid Tippmann marker. Kind of a upgraded A6 Custom.

So I just want a "Rifle" feeling marker for woodsball playing and big games for fun. Also if this help's I am in Canada so only playing outside 1/2 the year, thus started with a speedgun (and do enjoy both styles) for inside play and now just thinking of a nice side marker for outside fun. Thanks for your feedback.
Avint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 08-14-2013, 04:29 PM #2
11XIII

Ill be 100% fully honest, and its really up to you, but imo that a butt stock isn't going to make you more accurate than that ninja tank on your cross over.
If you want a remote line, you can still remote your crossover.
Forget the vest, just get a tac belt for 7 dollars and a single bt tank holder that Velcro and button straps to your belt.

But again, everyone has preferences.
If you really want the military look and feel, I would definitely go with an x7 if you can afford it. Everything about the military look has everything to do with rails, and the x7 is surrounded by them.

Foregrips are somewhat of a novelty, I rarely use them. 9/10 times my left hand is on the mag portion of the gun, not the foregrip I do have.
Don't get foldable fore grips, they wiggle a lot.
DON'T get a scope for any of these guns. If anything get a 1x32 red/green dot scope, but don't get anything that magnifies.
An x7 is not a sniper and don't waste your hard earned money trying to make it something its never going to be.
You also may be interested in forgetting the butt stock, and putting a clampable end cap and secure a one point sling. Woodsball games tend to last a good long time and you'll get gun tired fast.
Old 08-14-2013, 04:46 PM #3
Avint

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11XIII View Post
Ill be 100% fully honest, and its really up to you, but imo that a butt stock isn't going to make you more accurate than that ninja tank on your cross over.
I was looking at this, and am aware about the accuracy, thank you for the feedback on this though. I actually didnt like stocks at first vs my tank, now its more that my Crossover is set for upgrades and I do not want to put the money into a similar marker when it does what I need.

Also for the scope that is true as well, I had not thought about them doing the zooming and do not want it to do that either so ill go for the red eye.

Thanks for the advice on the grip too, I think I am more worried from going from my crossover with a grip to one without, but will keep that in mind thank you.

And yes slings are needed even on speedball markers sometimtes for those long days
Avint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 05:51 PM #4
PeregrineTHL

The stock is not going to make you more accurate. The job of the stock is more for stability.

If you run with a remote line. You may want to have the stock to replace the tank against your shoulder feeling.

Scopes not needed in paintball but you could use a 1x red dot. You will need a sight riser as well to actually use your sights, as the stock/mask would get in the way of you actually using the sights.

I would say get the X7 Phenom. More customizable and mag fed would be an option.
PeregrineTHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 06:23 PM #5
Robotech

has been a member for 10 years
Robotech is attending Decay of Nations VII
Here are my take on these three markers.

A5 - This is the most reliable design between these three markers. The A5's design has been around for almost a decade with only minor tweaks and refinements. It is a reliable design and you have a ton of options for it. There are a number of different ways you can go with this marker looks wise and almost everyone who has played the game for a while has shot one so finding people that know how to work on them is going to be easy. Drawbacks are it's an old and very basic design and lacks sophistication of some your other choices. It's purely mechanical so Rate Of Fire (ROF) is going to be on the slower side though people have logged firing rates of up to 15 bps by switching to an electronic trigger frame. Whether you like it or not, it also comes with the Cyclone feeder so no aftermarket hopper is necessary.

X7 Phenom - The X7 is a marker that is a departure from Tippmann's usual inline poppet style design. Switching to a Spool style bolt, the X7 Phenom is a more modern design than the A5. Being a spool, the X7 also has an internal regulator. This makes it a more accurate marker than an A5. Coupled with the regulator on your tank, this would give you a double regulated air source which means more consistant performance shot to shot. Lastly, the X7 can switch from electronic to mechanical operation just like your Crossover. Currently I believe these are the only two markers that have that feature. Also the X7, being a Tippmann, has a ton of aftermarket support and can be configured in any number of ways. Like the A5, it's equipped with the Cyclone feeder.

G1 - This marker has no mechanical mode but is a much more up-to-date design than the A5. It has the ability to switch your feedneck from left, to right, to center depending on how you play. It already comes with a stock which the Tippmanns don't. Like the X7, the G1 also has an internal regulator which will give you improved consistancy over the A5. With this marker you need to have your own hopper but you already have one.

Upgrades - For performance, barrels and other such parts are available for all your markers. For the Tippmanns, you can get the Tacamo Magazine conversion kits so if that's something you are interested in, you can always go that route later. I don't think there is a similar conversion for the G1. For rails, the A5 doesn't have them stock but the X7 and G1 do. (The A5 does have a Dovetail rail on the top that will allow you to mount sights though you'd either need Dovetail sight mounts or get a Dovetail to Weaver rail adaptor.) This may limit your choices.

Some people swear by the Cyclone, some swear at it, but I've never had a problem with one and most of the issues people have with them have been addressed by aftermarket companies and some by Tippmann themselves. If you don't want to have the Cyclone, you can always get a hopper adaptor to replace it.

From what you said, I'd say the X7 would be your first choice only because you can switch it to a mag fed marker if you wish. Second would be the G1 and the A5 seems to be the last choice. They're all good and my backup marker is an A5 so I certainly see nothing wrong with them...it comes down to personal choice.
Robotech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 06:44 PM #6
BatmanLiera

BatmanLiera supports DLX Technology
BatmanLiera supports Shocker RSX
BatmanLiera supports Ninja Paintball
Tipx is what i am going to buy next for my primary magfed set up. All the videos on youtbe of the tipx in magfed play looks so challenging i alreDy have zeta mag and 20 10 runds tubes and remoteline. Lol all i need is my tipx now.
Old 08-14-2013, 07:04 PM #7
11XIII

Robo, I've heard horrible things about the tacamo mag kits for the a5.

And for the OP, realize when I said I rarely use foregrips, I said that because I use the magazine of the gun AS the foregrip.

And for Batman dude, playing with a tipx and zetamags is a HUGE disadvantage. Remember you have people who walk a trigger in their sleep. Unless you're positive you have the field and skill to be sneaky enough to get close to a gun like that, I would advise against a tipx as a primary
Old 08-14-2013, 07:52 PM #8
Robotech

How is the Tacamo for the X7? I haven't heard much on either.
Old 08-14-2013, 10:07 PM #9
BatmanLiera

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11XIII View Post
Robo, I've heard horrible things about the tacamo mag kits for the a5.

And for the OP, realize when I said I rarely use foregrips, I said that because I use the magazine of the gun AS the foregrip.

And for Batman dude, playing with a tipx and zetamags is a HUGE disadvantage. Remember you have people who walk a trigger in their sleep. Unless you're positive you have the field and skill to be sneaky enough to get close to a gun like that, I would advise against a tipx as a primary
Hell yeah that makes me wanna do it more! I play at cpx sports and i already have some moves planned lol.
And havent you seen all those videos with the tipx as primary. Man they look awesome. https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...50723672,d.b2I
Old 08-14-2013, 10:43 PM #10
Robotech

They may look awesome...and they are...but that is a testiment to the skill those guys have. I've ran pistol only before and trust me, it is a rush but you really have to pick your moves and your shots. The only gun harder to play with as a primary is a pump.
Old 08-14-2013, 11:05 PM #11
russian pandas
Russians Shoot Eclipses

russian pandas owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
I had an X7 Phenom and it was great, definitely better performance than the A5 in my opinion, and I used that one enough to make a starter's review for it but for a rifle feeling like, you can definitely go right with an X7 Phenom
russian pandas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 11:05 PM #12
jweav151

If you are interested in a scope type sight I found a 1x crossbow red-dot for my bro-in-law on Amazon for $35. The crossbow sights are perfect for paintball. Though crossbow velocities are typically higher than paintball, they are still pretty close, much closer than a firearm. I just added a 4x scope to my A5, which has multiple range lines and the red-dot projects three dots for different ranges.

Before anyone starts in on me about having a 4x scope on my gun, I do not intend to try to "snipe" with it. My groupings from around 100 feet are much tighter than I expected though, so its possible it will be partially functional for distance aiming. I am slightly near sighted and can't wear my glasses in my mask, so the scope is a way for me to see clearly at a distance, if only in a small field of view.
jweav151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 11:12 PM #13
BatmanLiera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotech View Post
They may look awesome...and they are...but that is a testiment to the skill those guys have. I've ran pistol only before and trust me, it is a rush but you really have to pick your moves and your shots. The only gun harder to play with as a primary is a pump.
Like i said i like challenges
Thats the only way i will become better. I will never become a better player by walking my trigger on rentals and new players with my axe
Old 08-14-2013, 11:19 PM #14
russian pandas
Russians Shoot Eclipses

russian pandas owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
I'm getting rid of my X7 (on ebay) with all sorts of TechT stuff and barrels and such for a scenario Etha, running the EMC rail kit and some stuff like a magpul foregrip and red dot that used to be on my X7, but being moved to something sweeter
russian pandas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 02:05 PM #15
TheMVpaintballer247

G1
TheMVpaintballer247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 04:51 PM #16
ElJefe13

ElJefe13 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
ElJefe13 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
ElJefe13 supports Ninja Paintball
ElJefe13 supports Empire
Get a foregrip. They feel great, much more comfortable (IMHO) than holding onto a magazine. And I would not suggest getting a stock, you can't aim properly. Use a normal tank, it'll be better.
ElJefe13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 11:15 PM #17
sambob117
aka Salmon

sambob117 owns a Planet Eclipse - Emek
sambob117 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
sambob117 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
sambob117 supports Ninja Paintball
If you're thinking about getting into magfed I'g go with the phenom or a5 since both can use a tacamo kit to make them magfed. Between those I'd go with the phenom, shoots smoother and has better air efficiency, also the newer mkp2 tacamo kit is usa made and I've heard a lot of better results than with the original china made mkp kits. Mkp2 kit uses rap4 mags but can also use milsig mags, you can also get the mag well for the newer dmags which are only $6 a piece, most people are happy with the dmags, they can get worn out but they are made to have springs replaced cheap and easy.

On a side note you can get an adjustable air through stock to mount on the crossovers asa and run remote that way.
Old 08-28-2013, 03:56 PM #18
Barbara_Walters
God is good

Barbara_Walters plays in the PSP
Barbara_Walters supports Cereal Killerz 2
Barbara_Walters helped look for balloons
Barbara_Walters is an NCPA player
All personal preference man!
Barbara_Walters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 04:48 PM #19
Etek4
Pump it up!

Etek4 owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
Etek4 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Etek4 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Etek4 supports Empire
Get a GOG G1. Low pressure, regulated air is always going to be the best for smooth, accurate and consistant shots. It is quiet and effiencent. With the Blackheart board you can select semi, three round and full auto. With a factory Tippmann board you have a 2 safety shots which are very aggrivating, only way to get around that is to buy an aftermarket board for even more $$$.

The A5/X7 mechanical is a loud gun, it sounds like a canon so its not a gun for stealth operations if thats your game of choice. I ran my A5 and X7 phenom with cyclones and its a noisy loader that when things go wrong turns into a blender even with squishy paddles. My A5 is a air hog I could barely play two rounds without refilling my 48/3000. I shoot about 300 rounds +/- 100 a game.

The G1 may not be the most mil sim looking gun but its a very good tactical marker.

CCM J12 #43, CCM'd Midblock Karni pump, CCM'd Halfblocked 2k2 pneumatic assist pump, Planet Eclipse Geo 3, Empire Resurrection, Lightening Autococker, Empire Axe Pro LE

MCB FEEDBACK
Etek4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 08:42 PM #20
ubermick

Being the one who started that Tippmann thread (should be noted that the thread title isn't because I think that Tippys suck, it's because the advice I got on another forum was overwhelmingly anti-Tippmann, and very much in favour of choosing a speedball marker and to hell with 'realism') I've now used both.

Granted I'm a complete newb to all this, but the best comparison I can give between the two is that my SP1 felt a bit like a toy (even with a stock and red dot sight added) whereas the Phenom feels like a weapon. And the SP1 went pop within 10 minutes of taking it out of the box and had to be returned to GOG (Granted, they were absolutely fine about repairing it, and it should be on it's way back to me any time) whereas a used Phenom worked like an absolute champ right out of the box.
ubermick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 10:39 PM #21
Etek4
Pump it up!

Etek4 owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
Etek4 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Etek4 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Etek4 supports Empire
Hum just realized the OP hasn't posted here for 2 weeks

CCM J12 #43, CCM'd Midblock Karni pump, CCM'd Halfblocked 2k2 pneumatic assist pump, Planet Eclipse Geo 3, Empire Resurrection, Lightening Autococker, Empire Axe Pro LE

MCB FEEDBACK
Etek4 is offline   Reply With Quote