PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 07-16-2008, 04:18 PM #1
tachman
Pump OT

has been a member for 10 years
Epiphany Frequently Asked Questions

DISCLAIMER: This is meant to be a guide and guide only. This advice is free, and remember, sometimes you get what you pay for. In some of the articles I link you to, they mention the ION not going above 200psi, Just remember, that the Epiphany operates higher, as the ION/Epiphany are closely related, so it goes without saying that alot of the tech stuff is as well. Enjoy and feel free to contribute if i left anything out. THIS FAQ SHOULD BE A LAST RESORT!!! READ YOUR MANUAL FIRST THERE IS A LINK BELOW

Be sure you have Adobe Reader installed
Epiphany Manual

A lot of your problems can be solved by reading it, not just looking at the pretty pictures. READ IT.

FOREWORD: Alot of people have a tendency to ask which upgrade is the best.
Alot of deciding that is doing your own research. Places like www.pbreview.com and the review section here on PBNation give good insight from other players that have used this equipment. I will say though, to get the most out of those reviews, take them with a grain of salt. People do tend to exaggerate and so on.
Another big part of upgrading your Epiphany is personal preference.
The paintball aftermarket is a very competitive place, alot of products are very close, if not equal to each other.

Problems-Well its a fact, Murphy's Law if you will. Over time things will go wrong with any marker.
Down below I have a link to a page on ZDSPB for troubleshooting ION/Epiphanies.
Before you start thinking there is something majorly wrong with your Epiphany, replace the battery. You will be surprised at how much a new battery can fix.
Use a good quality battery, Duracell Ultra, Energizer, Energizer Industrial, etc.
Those dollar store batteries will just cause problems.

Common Problems with ION/Epiphany:
http://www.zdspb.com/tech/mguide/ion...neumatics.html

How many shots does an Epiphany get off of a 68/4500?
The amount per tank can vary, but expect about 1000+ without a QEV, more with a QEV, Air efficiency depends on your settings(dwell)

A Lower Dwell setting will get you more shots per tank, but at a cost of consistency, For optimal settings, see the WARPIG/ZDSPB links below.

Here's a link from WARPIG, on how to tune your ION/Epiphany. As the stock boards are programmed in the same way.

http://www.warpig.com/paintball/tech...arts/ion_calc/

Here's a another link for electronic settings from ZDSPB
http://www.zdspb.com/tech/mguide/ion...ectronics.html

However, make no mistake, the solenoids on the stock boards are different, The Epiphany solenoid is meant to handle higher pressures, and the ION does not take the higher pressures.

Feedneck: Yeah, its not clamping. Most hoppers will fit if you take the top o-ring out of the stock feed neck, or sand the neck of your hopper down to fit. A clamping feedneck is advised. It makes life easier.

What is the difference between the ION and Epiphany?
The Epiphany is based off of the ION, however there are a few key differences:
The Epiphany comes stock with a magnesium-alloy body, as it is heavier, In my opinion, more aesthetically pleasing.

-Comes stock with the Smart Parts Firebolt, the Firebolt weighs in at 16grams, and I do believe the ION bolt weighs in about 30+grams

-Firechamber- The Epiphany firechamber is quite a bit different than the ION's. It utilizes volume inserts so you can stay within the operating range of 240-280psi at a given velocity(fps).

-Trigger-The stock trigger on the Epiphany is tighter and uses a magnet to return the trigger to resting position.

-Barrel-The Epiphany comes stock with a Freak Jr. and one insert

No, the Epiphany does not come with the Blackheart board, I have seen people say this, and they are wrong.

Taken and modified from anythingextreme.com
Quote:
Why would a platey want to change the volume inserts? - At the pressure ranges in which the Epiphany operates, basic set-up differences such as installing a QEV, using an aftermarket bolt, or playing indoors with a 250 fps velocity limit require a change in the fire chamber volume to meet the desired velocity.

Most other guns eliminate side to side movement in the trigger, don't they? – Some competing products appear to, by wedging the trigger when it is forward. Actually when you pull them, they can wiggle from side to side in the middle and back of their stroke. The Epiphany trigger is laterally stable through the full trigger cycle.

What kind of anodizing does the Epiphany body have? - The magnesium alloy of the Epiphany grip frame, body and trigger are not anodized. They are protected by a chrome based plating process that provides superior protection with a high luster finish.

Can the Epiphany be used with a QEV? - Yes, just be sure that they are rated to handle the higher operating pressures. An example of an Epiphany rated QEV is the Smart Parts 360 QEV.

Can you put two QEV's on an Epiphany? Yes you physically can, but you will get NO performance increase from it.

Will aftermarket Ion bolts work with the Epiphany? - Yes. Experimentation may be required to find the best Epiphany volume insert to use with a particular bolt.

What is the operating pressure range of the Epiphany? - Typical operating pressure is about 260 psi, with a maximum of 280. The pressure difference between the Ion and Epiphany allows the Epiphany's reduced volume fire chamber to deliver the same amount of force to the paintball, yet recharge more quickly for better velocity consistency.

Can the Epiphany trigger be installed in an Ion trigger frame? - No.

Can an Epiphany trigger frame and trigger be installed on an Ion? - Yes

Are Ion body covers and Epiphany body covers interchangeable? - Yes and no, A Strange ION body will not work without modification.

What is required to upgrade an Ion to Epiphany performance pressure levels? - An Epiphany regulator Spring, Epiphany circuit board and hoses, and an Epiphany fire chamber with inserts.

Can those same Epiphany performance components be used on an SP-8? - Yes, but the Epiphany fire chamber will need to be fitted with an SP-8 Swivel Donut.

Aftermarket Circuit Boards:
Here is a comparison chart for the boards for the ION/Epiphany

I will update this fairly frequent as per request.
Or whenever I think I forgot something.

Not bad for slapping it together in about a half hour eh?

Last edited by FallNAngel : 02-20-2011 at 06:11 PM. Reason: updated manual link
tachman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 07-16-2008, 05:00 PM #2
tachman
Pump OT

Epiphany Bolt Comparison

Here is a little Comparison for the current aftermarket bolts available for the Epiphany.

Now, the stock Firebolt weighs in at 16 grams, I'm just telling you this for reference.

TechT L7(and L7v2)
Weight-L7-8.4 grams, L7v2(newest version) 7.4 grams
Site Link- http://www.techtpaintball.com/L7.html

Installation Guide from TechT- http://www.techtpaintball.com/L7install.html

Picture-

Deadlywind Hollowpoint Bolt
Weight-7.4 grams
Site Link- http://store.deadlywind.com/product/...77febce5d.aspx

Installation Guide- http://www.deadlywind.com/tech/Hollo...ons/index.html

Orange Unicorn Nano & Nano extreme upgrade kit

Weight-10 grams
For the site link, click on Products>Smart Parts> Unicorn Nano Bolt
Site Link- http://www.orange-paintball.com/orange_paintball.htm

New Designz Skeleton Bolt
Weight- 10.5 grams
Site Link- http://www.newdesignz.com/Ion_5.htm
Installation-Just remove your stock bolt and replace with this, be sure to lube it.

Trinity Sick Bolt

Weight-18 grams
Installation-Just remove your stock bolt and replace with this, be sure to lube it.

Site Link- http://www.trinitypaintball.com/Prod...uctCode=TR+235

I can get info on other bolts if needed.

Last edited by tachman : 07-16-2008 at 05:03 PM.
Old 07-16-2008, 08:47 PM #3
bracer028

feable attempt at a remedy.
bracer028 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 11:30 PM #4
tachman
Pump OT

Quote:
Originally Posted by bracer028 View Post
feeble attempt at a remedy.
fixed.
Old 07-17-2008, 11:51 AM #5
Case-sensitive
The Quiet One

I like your bolt guide. Really nice. Make more things
^^ My old babies ^^

GEARBAG
Case-sensitive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 05:39 PM #6
HeadShotz

Useful Site To Check Out

Here's a good website to find other useful information on the ion/epiphany.
It has info on "o" ring sizes, screw sizes, leak issues, board settings and alot more.
Check it out at: http://ion.chiumanfu.com/index.php?main_page=page_8

another tech site to look at is:
http://www.zdspb.com/tech/mguide/ion/index.html
***Remember, these sites are based on the Ion model. Some things may not apply to the Epiphany.***

Last edited by HeadShotz : 07-17-2008 at 05:46 PM. Reason: added link
HeadShotz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 11:47 PM #7
tachman
Pump OT

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadShotz View Post
Here's a good website to find other useful information on the ion/epiphany.
It has info on "o" ring sizes, screw sizes, leak issues, board settings and alot more.
Check it out at: http://ion.chiumanfu.com/index.php?main_page=page_8

another tech site to look at is:
http://www.zdspb.com/tech/mguide/ion/index.html
***Remember, these sites are based on the Ion model. Some things may not apply to the Epiphany.***

Thanks dude, feel free to add anything that is relevant.

and Case, thanks dude, ill probably be doing a Trigger and Body (BOB and non-BOB) guide...I will have to do some research as to which ones will fit without modification. I will probably post a link to Nekrow's guide on trimming a certain CP trigger. I'll be at work tomorrow from 2-6, I'll be updating the FAQ for sure.

I say we all work together on building this thing. Isn't that what a forum is for anyways?

Last edited by tachman : 07-17-2008 at 11:53 PM.
Old 07-19-2008, 12:59 PM #8
Case-sensitive
The Quiet One

Why not restart? It'll look stupid with persons post in the middle of it. Or else you can just edit
^^ My old babies ^^

GEARBAG
Case-sensitive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 02:33 PM #9
H & F

sooooo besides the strange ion body will the other ion bodies fit well? like a mad dog or dynasty?

will it really make it any lighter???

any side affects it could have????
H & F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 03:28 PM #10
victoralphacharlie2
StL

victoralphacharlie2 is playing at Living Legends V
victoralphacharlie2 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
victoralphacharlie2 supports Team VICIOUS
victoralphacharlie2 supports Empire
All but the strange will work. Only way it's getting lighter is if you put a rubber body kit on it since the stock one is metal. But really it would be useless to put on a body kit unless it's BOB.
victoralphacharlie2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 09:09 AM #11
jldwvu

jldwvu owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
jldwvu owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
jldwvu plays in the APPA D5 division
i saw a virtue board for an ion on actionvillage, and it said at the beginning of the description that it was compatible with the epiphany, but at the end it said only works with ion and sp-8. does anyone know if it will work on the epiphany?
Twitch #33
Psychadelic warriors
jldwvu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 09:40 AM #12
victoralphacharlie2
StL

Quote:
Originally Posted by jldwvu View Post
i saw a virtue board for an ion on actionvillage, and it said at the beginning of the description that it was compatible with the epiphany, but at the end it said only works with ion and sp-8. does anyone know if it will work on the epiphany?
If it's a new board, like their redefined or OLED, then it will work in the epiphany. Only older virtue boards back before and just when the epiphany were released aren't compatable.
Old 01-18-2009, 07:20 PM #13
dawgsfan5

does an epiphany take an ion virtue board
dawgsfan5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 04:05 PM #14
victoralphacharlie2
StL

Yes the Ion board will work in the Epiphany.
Old 01-27-2009, 07:18 PM #15
TheHolc

great thread i will have some ?s later.
TheHolc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 09:55 PM #16
Davispball92

whats better an epiphany or upgraded ion?
Davispball92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 07:51 PM #17
tidlywinks

In my opinion i think an upgrade ion is better
tidlywinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 08:24 PM #18
BAD4$$

i found that u can take out the bottom ring in the epiphanys original feedneck
it keeps the hopper from wobbling but its still way better to get an after market feed neck
BAD4$$ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 06:00 PM #19
shorti555

My stock regulator bit the dust. What do you guys recommend for a new regulator? I'm looking at the Custom Products long w/o gauge mount (http://www.zephyrpaintball.com/produ..._Bl ack.html). I liked the short but it says it only goes to 200 PSI and I'm normally at around 240 because we play 290-300 fps on our fields, all recommendations appreciated?
shorti555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 07:03 PM #20
IGotAEpiphany
UNACTIVE

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorti555 View Post
My stock regulator bit the dust. What do you guys recommend for a new regulator? I'm looking at the Custom Products long w/o gauge mount (http://www.zephyrpaintball.com/produ..._Bl ack.html). I liked the short but it says it only goes to 200 PSI and I'm normally at around 240 because we play 290-300 fps on our fields, all recommendations appreciated?
hyper 2 or a cp shorty
Old 08-17-2009, 06:52 PM #21
shorti555

Does anyone know if the Hyper 3 reg will fit on an Epiphany? The threads that screw into the body of the gun look narrower than the Hyper 2. Appreciate all the recommendations.
shorti555 is offline   Reply With Quote