Community Focus

Old 02-02-2013, 07:47 PM #1
gwapoboy
Citrus Connection Member

gwapoboy owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
gwapoboy has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
gwapoboy has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Thumbs up Bob Long MVP Review

Ok Well I've have had my Bob Long MVP for a good amount of time now. Sofigured it's about time I do a review of it. So just to start this off, I use aLow Pressure 68/45, and a prophecy V2 loader, and whatever barrel is closest to the bore of the paint I'm shooting.

FIRST IMPRESSIONS:

First impressions were pretty nice I would have to say. When I first picked itup I noticed how light it is. The pump stroke was really nice, and when you pump the marker it returns very quickly no matter if the gun was upside down or whatever. Auto trigger was pretty nice as well, timed EXTREMELY WELL (accept forwhen you pump it, it cocks when the bolt is only 1/2-3/4 of the way back but Bob Long has sent me the part to fix that will update when I get the part). I got mine used (but in amazing condition) so it didn't have the stock barrel, but did have an East Coast Paintball Handle as well as the stock handle, and the 2 Extra Springs. The stock pump handle is actually pretty nice; some people say it feels kind of small or weird. It's different; I prefer using the East Coast Paintball Pump Handle.

FIRST TIME SHOOTING IT:

I used a LP 68/45 and a .685 2013 Vanguard Demon barrel, paint was boring under.685 I'd say around 681or 679. Chrono results were extremely consistent +/- 3.It does have a kind of Farting noise, but doesn't effect performance at all so who cares right? lol. Pump stroke was so nice, better than the CCM T2 I had in my honest opinion. Even with it cocking to early with or without AT you don't notice as long as you pump it all the way back. No kick at all to it, which some what did and didn't surprise me. One thing is if you don't hold the pumphandle when you shoot your velocity does suffer a good amount, but you should be holding on to it pretty much at all times anyways since there is no external reg lol.

Day 1 of Play:

I Used a LP 68/45 and a .685 2013 Vanguard Demon barrel, Prophecy V2 hopper,and Empire Heat (approx. 681 bore). Chrono Results were pretty consistent event hough I didn't bore match or anything +/- 5. Now I did completely clean lube and service the MVP earlier that morning so everything was good there. After a Few games I noticed that I was going through a lot more paint then I usually dowith a pump I usually only go through like half a hopper at max, but with the MVP I was shooting at least 1 hopper per game (playing against speedballplayers). The AT really is nice and fast, never had balls chop or break. Another thing I noticed is that I didn't have any barrel roles, even if you use a 689 barrel on 681 bore size paint (yes I did try that for last 2 games). One thing I did notice is I was not getting the anywhere close to 1400 shots of a 68/45, now that may be because I was mainly using the auto trigger, and/or because I don't have the oring in the breach(which is optional). Lastly I didn't even miss having a Reg to hold on to.

Servicing:

Servicing the MVP is extremely easy. Really all you have to do is take out the two grip screws holding the grip frame to the body, and then take the pump arm off. After you do that you just pull the engine out and that's pretty much it. You should never really need to service the sear for the most part. The pump arm rides on 12 ball bearings (if I remember correctly) and you don't really need to clean them unless you really want to. Reassembling the MVP is also very easy, just need to make sure that the rods on the pump arm light up with the bolt and hammer. One thing that is pretty cool is the detent system; it's just a spring that gets pushed down, so really you don't need to service that. If you ever have to switch the springs out to increase or decrease your velocity it's also very easy all you have to do is unscrew the back cap pull the spring out and put the other spring in(lighter or harder spring).

Conclusion:

All in all I have to say that Bob Long did an amazing job, creating the MVP.For some the lack of an external reg is a deal breaker but in my opinion you don'teven notice it's not there. Pro's to it are smooth, light pump stroke, very fast Auto trigger, Pretty Efficient ones the reg is broken in, very easy and fast to service. Con's no IVG, for me at least it cocks to early but doesn't really effect performance plus bob long is sending me the part to fix it free,you have to hold the pump handle when you shoot it or you lose FPS.

This is the first time that I have done a review like this on a marker, so please let me know what you guys think, and what you like and dislike about the review. And of course anything you think I should add.
gwapoboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 02-04-2013, 07:00 AM #2
atlanta88
stock class

What is your opinion on the farting
Our Phather, who art in Oregon,hallowed be thy name. The game shall be won, by your perfect gun in the woods as it is indoors. Give us this day our Nelson valvetrains. And forgive us our autotriggering, as we forgive those who autotrigger against us. And lead us not into semiautos, but deliver us from electros. For thine is the 12 gram, the 10 round tube, and the pump action, for ever and ever. Amen.
atlanta88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 03:02 PM #3
gwapoboy
Citrus Connection Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlanta88 View Post
What is your opinion on the farting
I dont want to say it farts, its got its own noise. it kinda farts. But shoots amazing. im going to be testing some stuff out today or tomorrow to see if i can change the sound signature ill post up what i learn
Old 02-05-2013, 11:12 AM #4
atlanta88
stock class

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwapoboy View Post

I dont want to say it farts, its got its own noise. it kinda farts. But shoots amazing. im going to be testing some stuff out today or tomorrow to see if i can change the sound signature ill post up what i learn
Same noise as the g6r
Our Phather, who art in Oregon,hallowed be thy name. The game shall be won, by your perfect gun in the woods as it is indoors. Give us this day our Nelson valvetrains. And forgive us our autotriggering, as we forgive those who autotrigger against us. And lead us not into semiautos, but deliver us from electros. For thine is the 12 gram, the 10 round tube, and the pump action, for ever and ever. Amen.
Old 02-05-2013, 12:31 PM #5
noclue119
D4 to D5 in 3 years.

has been a member for 10 years
 is playing at Living Legends XI
noclue119 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
noclue119 owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
noclue119 owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlanta88 View Post
Same noise as the g6r
my g6r never made any weird noises.
noclue119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 03:11 PM #6
atlanta88
stock class

Quote:
Originally Posted by noclue119 View Post

my g6r never made any weird noises.
They were a hit or a miss it was all to do with the engine pressure release I beleive
Old 02-06-2013, 04:55 PM #7
Vegard
LOST

Vegard is a Supporting Member
Vegard is a founding member
 has been a member for 10 years
Vegard is Boss
Nice review
-growing older is mandatory – growing up is optional-

SBDB009 Reddit Jealous Lion
Vegard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 05:01 PM #8
gwapoboy
Citrus Connection Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegard View Post
Nice review
Thank you, anything you didnt like or thing i should add to it?
Old 02-08-2013, 07:35 PM #9
Pantsless
pants sold separately

Good review, sounds like it's a good gun, but it is really worth the price? I know BL has been on the scene long enough to command respect in the egun department, I'm just skeptical at somebody bursting on to the pump scene with a 700$ gun...

I'll probly pick one up in the future regardless
Pantsless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 09:01 PM #10
gwapoboy
Citrus Connection Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantsless View Post
Good review, sounds like it's a good gun, but it is really worth the price? I know BL has been on the scene long enough to command respect in the egun department, I'm just skeptical at somebody bursting on to the pump scene with a 700$ gun...

Its well worth the money. Amazing pump, and very easy to service unlike some pumps that make me want to do this
Old 02-08-2013, 11:19 PM #11
i8somepie
Michael Pasztor

i8somepie is an NCPA player
i8somepie plays in the APPA beginner division
Good review! It pretty much fits what I'm about to say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantsless View Post

It is an awesome marker. I haven't heard of the updates that will fix the AT activation point yet, but I haven't been paying much attention for it since I had mine.

Truthfully, I loved my MVP. The pump stroke is, bar none, my favorite of any pump marker I've used including my S6.5. One of the only ways, you can make a smoother pull is to use an MQ valve. I wasn't running the oring in the breech either and I was able to get 9-10 pods easy on a fill on an LP tank.

I did have a few issues with mine. I blew a bearing in the pump arm, and the feedneck arm sheared off.

That being said, I miss it. I'll probably be getting another one.
Old 02-09-2013, 05:52 PM #12
gwapoboy
Citrus Connection Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by i8somepie View Post
Good review! It pretty much fits what I'm about to say.

It is an awesome marker. I haven't heard of the updates that will fix the AT activation point yet, but I haven't been paying much attention for it since I had mine.

Truthfully, I loved my MVP. The pump stroke is, bar none, my favorite of any pump marker I've used including my S6.5. One of the only ways, you can make a smoother pull is to use an MQ valve. I wasn't running the oring in the breech either and I was able to get 9-10 pods easy on a fill on an LP tank.

I did have a few issues with mine. I blew a bearing in the pump arm, and the feedneck arm sheared off.

That being said, I miss it. I'll probably be getting another one.
Bob Long is sending me the part to fix the AT timing issue so ill let you know if that fixes it
Old 02-09-2013, 09:29 PM #13
SilentBall55

SilentBall55 owns a Planet Eclipse Gtek
For that price I would rather go with a CCM. CCM has dedicated themselves to pump players and the product shows it.

I would much prefer easy access to the bolt during the game.

I play a lot of woodsball, and a CCM or Empire will allow quick cleaning in case of a breach break.
SilentBall55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 10:50 PM #14
gospeedgo1

received my MVP back from bob long to address the early cocking and farting. bolt and sear were replaced. marker now cocks with bolt 3/4 instead of 1/2 the way back, not enough to drop a ball into the breech once the sear catches but pretty close. marker still farts, but not sure what velocity it is shooting at after they worked on it, so that may affect the sound.

had to take the marker apart and clean up their work, grease and oil (looks like triflow) was applied too liberally.

i think the springing could be lighter, which might help with the farting, since the hammer is quite heavy.

Last edited by gospeedgo1 : 03-08-2013 at 10:14 PM.
gospeedgo1 is offline   Reply With Quote