Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 08-26-2010, 12:25 PM #85
penguin_style25
Matt Daaaammmoonn

has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overbear View Post
Who the **** cares, we make money, and we sell them inferior, old equipment. Whats the problem?
this.
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 08-26-2010, 01:32 PM #86
corporationpaintball

Quote:
Who the **** cares, we make money, and we sell them inferior, old equipment. Whats the problem?
This has got to be one of a few times since starting to post in Politics that I agree with you.
corporationpaintball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 02:01 PM #87
Overbear
#2 Anti Stim Club Member!

Overbear is a Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by corporationpaintball View Post
This has got to be one of a few times since starting to post in Politics that I agree with you.
Exactly, its not like we are selling them current gen stuff here. We are selling them F-15's, a platform made in 1980, and ALL of the A/B revisions were retired in 2006, we don't even use the eagle anymore (we use the super eagle) and even that is about to be retired.

We are dumping 20+ year old airframes, to a country that is friendly to us, making some good money, AND making sure we have a constant point of sale for parts and equipment. Seems like a Win-Win to me.
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms . . . disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes . . . Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man - Thomas Jefferson

A democracy is, two wolves and a sheep voting on dinner.
A republic is, two sheep and a wolf voting on dinner.
A constitutional republic is, voting on dinner is expressly forbidden and the sheep are armed.

Armed gays don't get bashed - www.pinkpistols.org

ssgaR: 'faith is the path of least resistance'."

Rapier7: Don't be a douche
Overbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 02:19 PM #88
corporationpaintball

Quote:
Exactly, its not like we are selling them current gen stuff here. We are selling them F-15's, a platform made in 1980, and ALL of the A/B revisions were retired in 2006, we don't even use the eagle anymore (we use the super eagle) and even that is about to be retired.

We are dumping 20+ year old airframes, to a country that is friendly to us, making some good money, AND making sure we have a constant point of sale for parts and equipment. Seems like a Win-Win to me.
Yup, we sure as hell could use the money.
corporationpaintball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 02:23 PM #89
tuna

Quote:

Not a win for the Saudi citizens who would be willing to fight for their own democracy but can't because we provide the king with western miilitary technology. I definitely disagree. If we have to give up a few billion in arms sales (most of the benefits of which are concentrated with a handful of connected people in the shady world of international arms sales) in order to keep our hands clean of the subjugation of millions of people, then I think it's worth it. I don't even believe that our economy would suffer overall. It would definitely improve 'brand america' if we didn't come off as such hypocrites.
tuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 03:14 PM #90
Overbear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuna View Post
Not a win for the Saudi citizens who would be willing to fight for their own democracy but can't because we provide the king with western miilitary technology. I definitely disagree. If we have to give up a few billion in arms sales (most of the benefits of which are concentrated with a handful of connected people in the shady world of international arms sales) in order to keep our hands clean of the subjugation of millions of people, then I think it's worth it. I don't even believe that our economy would suffer overall. It would definitely improve 'brand america' if we didn't come off as such hypocrites.
Oh **** off. Your kind of bleeding heart crap went dead 1000 years ago. Welcome to the modern world, if they want to rise up and fight their king, they can buy from us too. We sell to just about ANYONE, hell they wont openly say it but I know for a fact even in the height of the cold war, quite a number of US made chips were going into russian ICBM's.

Its all just a game, a country we sell to does somthing we don't agree with. Suddenly they find they have no parts or munitions for their equipment. Can't fly what you can't fix or launch from.

As to a threat to us (hint: you think we don't program in override systems into their main system code?)
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms . . . disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes . . . Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man - Thomas Jefferson

A constitutional republic is, voting on dinner is expressly forbidden and the sheep are armed.

Old 08-26-2010, 05:45 PM #91
tuna

Quote:
Oh **** off. Your kind of bleeding heart crap went dead 1000 years ago. Welcome to the modern world, if they want to rise up and fight their king, they can buy from us too. We sell to just about ANYONE, hell they wont openly say it but I know for a fact even in the height of the cold war, quite a number of US made chips were going into russian ICBM's.

Its all just a game, a country we sell to does somthing we don't agree with. Suddenly they find they have no parts or munitions for their equipment. Can't fly what you can't fix or launch from.

As to a threat to us (hint: you think we don't program in override systems into their main system code?)
I'm saying that I believe in promoting freedom and democracy. I don't know when that became "bleeding heart crap". If the recently-liberated French hadn't helped us during our war of independence, then people wouldn't be calling you a ***, because that's what they'd be calling cigarettes.
Old 08-26-2010, 10:12 PM #92
Overbear

Quote:
I'm saying that I believe in promoting freedom and democracy. I don't know when that became "bleeding heart crap". If the recently-liberated French hadn't helped us during our war of independence, then people wouldn't be calling you a ***, because that's what they'd be calling cigarettes.
The french didn't do it for free kid, there was a price attached to their help.

Old 08-26-2010, 11:32 PM #93
dot.nation

Quote:
one day you'll realize that nations don't survive on good hearts.

My feedback:
https://www.pbnation.com/showthread.p...hreadid=722679
dot.nation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 04:30 AM #94
eckolwarlock

eckolwarlock is playing at Living Legends VI
eckolwarlock owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
eckolwarlock supports Team VICIOUS
eckolwarlock supports DLX Technology
This is nothing new. I mean hell we sold Iran F-14's. Then they gave some to the Soviets. This is really nothing new. We sell old crap faster than my Grandma does at yard sales.
Old 08-28-2010, 09:23 PM #95
Seahawk6060

Quote:
I'm saying that I believe in promoting freedom and democracy.
I agree with you that we do need to promote freedom and democracy. The problem is that sometimes stability and order is the next best thing, especially in that part of the world. Imagine if we turned our backs on Saudi Arabia and Kuwait when Saddam went on his rampage. Another point is that I'm not sure the citizens in Saudi Arabia want democracy. The Saudi royal family is more concerned about takeover attempts from Muslim fanatics than pro-democracy revolutionaries.
Seahawk6060 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 10:17 PM #96
custar

Quote:
Countries can't go democratic when we support their dictatorships.
How many "popular" movements in the Middle East have gone to democracy?

"That the said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to infringe the just liberty of the press or the rights of conscience; or to prevent the people of the United states who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms..."
Samuel Adams
Ave Caesar Obama! Tributituri ad moritus te salutant.

WTB Action Markers Diadem

Old feedback
custar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 12:14 AM #97
Rapier7
Smarter than you

Quote:
The cost isn't just a few billion dollars worth of arms sales every year. There is a larger, geostrategic consideration.

The Royal Family of Saudi Arabia knows that their hold on power is infinitely harder without the United States. They also control 250 billion barrels worth of easily extractable light sweet crude and are extremely influential in Middle Eastern politics. The ruling class of Saudi Arabia is buying stability. They give us oil, cash and diplomatic ins into the rest of the Arab Middle East while we give them advanced weapons to bolster their regime. It is mutually beneficial to both parties, while the average person gets screwed in the process.

But this is hardly the only autocratic country we deal with. Egypt is another notable example. If you haven't noticed a pattern, both countries are located in an extremely volatile region of high geopolitical importance. Both countries are major players in that region. Both countries are useful to us in making sure that nobody rocks the boat too hard.

In the modern era, US foreign policy has always been more concerned with making sure that the world is stable enough to properly conduct business than spreading democracy. It is simply easy to deal with the current power structure than to upend it for some nebulous, democratic future. Now if the Saudis try to go off script like Hussein, we might deal with them later down the road. But right now, they're proving useful pawns.
Old 08-29-2010, 03:01 PM #98
tuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapier7 View Post
They give us oil, cash and diplomatic ins into the rest of the Arab Middle East while we give them advanced weapons to bolster their regime. It is mutually beneficial to both parties, while the average person gets screwed in the process.
They don't "give" us anything, we pay for that oil. And its not just the average Saudi who gets screwed, its the average American as well. Since we indirectly (or directly, as far as anyone on this forum would know) bolster the Saudis and their OPEC cartel, we allow them to control oil pricing so that it perpetually remains just below the point where it would be worth it to start investing more in domestic and renewable sources of energy. I'm no environmentalist, but I hate that we export tens of billions of dollars to these backworlders every year and make them the wealthiest people on the planet as they manipulate the market to their whims and we do nothing about it. Forget solar panels or other hippie pipe dreams, but we easily could be powering more of our electrical grid with reliable nuclear and we could easily have had a massive oil share mining and refining capacity had 'instability in the middle east' caused us to adjust.
Old 08-29-2010, 11:12 PM #99
Rapier7
Smarter than you

Quote:
They don't "give" us anything, we pay for that oil. And its not just the average Saudi who gets screwed, its the average American as well. Since we indirectly (or directly, as far as anyone on this forum would know) bolster the Saudis and their OPEC cartel, we allow them to control oil pricing so that it perpetually remains just below the point where it would be worth it to start investing more in domestic and renewable sources of energy. I'm no environmentalist, but I hate that we export tens of billions of dollars to these backworlders every year and make them the wealthiest people on the planet as they manipulate the market to their whims and we do nothing about it. Forget solar panels or other hippie pipe dreams, but we easily could be powering more of our electrical grid with reliable nuclear and we could easily have had a massive oil share mining and refining capacity had 'instability in the middle east' caused us to adjust.
It is generally understood that the US has quite a bit of say in how the Saudis conduct their operations. Remember, American businesses owned all of Saudi Arabia's oil fields once upon a time. Once we let the Saudis nationalize Aramco, there were quite a few strings attached. Those strings are why the Iranian oil bourse will never take off. It's why Saudi Arabia never started its own bourse and instead takes its cue from Western mercantile exchanges. The effects of American leverage upon Saudi Arabian economic and political affairs is subtle, but potent.
Old 08-29-2010, 11:15 PM #100
pbjunkiee
Go big or go home

pbjunkiee is one of the top 1000 posters on PbNation
we have been selling them 15's and 16's for ever.... nothing new

st:p hk trollfest 8-29-11
pbjunkiee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 11:35 PM #101
The Inflicted
.detcilfnI ehT

Anyone seen the new F-16 variant General Dynamics, I mean Lockheed wants to sell to India, the Super Viper?
It's a hell of a lot better than ANY of the Falcons we ever had.
The Inflicted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 11:41 PM #102
pbjunkiee
Go big or go home

kinda hot imho, the plane, not the selling to india...

is that a Kuwait or Palestinian flag on the tail?

Last edited by pbjunkiee : 08-29-2010 at 11:43 PM.
Old 08-29-2010, 11:52 PM #103
The Inflicted
.detcilfnI ehT

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbjunkiee View Post
kinda hot imho, the plane, not the selling to india...

is that a Kuwait or Palestinian flag on the tail?
Neither. She belongs to the UAE.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F-16_Fi...lcon#F-16E.2FF
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_ugWk-rnkqX..._Tail_3009.jpg
The Inflicted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 11:54 PM #104
pbjunkiee
Go big or go home

couldnt tell if the left side was a square or triangle...

Old 08-29-2010, 11:58 PM #105
Overbear

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Inflicted View Post
Anyone seen the new F-16 variant General Dynamics, I mean Lockheed wants to sell to India, the Super Viper?
It's a hell of a lot better than ANY of the Falcons we ever had.
But still a joke compared to the JSF and the F-22 fighter.